Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Analogue Switchoff - Public Awareness & Help Scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I agree Elmo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The Cush wrote: »

Dáil written question/reply on this last week
    164. Deputy Tom Fleming asked the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources his plans to put in place a waiver system in cases of hardship where people are unable to afford the cost of switching to Saorview; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [1730/12]

Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources (Deputy Pat Rabbitte): I am very much aware of the challenges digital switchover brings, in particular for households that are reliant on the existing “free to air” analogue TV network. I wish to make clear from the outset, however, that I have no plans to introduce waivers for persons to upgrade their television equipment. All households solely reliant on the existing “free to air” analogue TV network will need to upgrade to digital TV by 24th October 2012, the date of analogue switch off, or they will lose access to television services. TV households can choose to upgrade to digital TV by moving to a pay-TV service or by upgrading to Saorview, Ireland’s national digital TV aerial network, which was launched by RTÉ on 26th May 2011.

To upgrade to Saorview, TV households will need to purchase either a Saorview approved set top box to connect to their existing TV or a new Saorview digital TV. In some cases, depending on the type of aerial, the orientation and age of the aerial, some TV households may need a new aerial or aerial adjustment. The number of these is estimated to be around 20,000 TV households. Experience from other European countries indicates that the cost of set top boxes and other digital receivers reduces as the date for digital switchover approaches, and there is increased competition in the market. There is clear evidence that this is now happening in Ireland with affordable set top boxes that meet the Saorview standard now coming on the market, as well as a range of suitable digital televisions. In addition, experience from other European countries also shows that the availability of accurate and reliable information and the provision of practical assistance is the most effective approach towards assisting people in making the switch to digital television.

In this regard, therefore, to overcome the challenges that digital switchover brings, I have undertaken to deliver a substantial information campaign providing households with information on the digital switchover and on their options for going digital. This information campaign commenced in quarter four 2011. There are a number of strands to the campaign including a national telephone helpline and a national advertising and public relations campaign. The campaign will run up to the end of 2012.

In conjunction with this, my Department has been working to address the particular information and assistance needs of vulnerable households as they prepare to go digital. In this context, the expertise and local knowledge of the many voluntary and charity organisations around the country is of critical importance in ensuring the success of the switchover process. On January 10th 2012 I signed an agreement with national voluntary organisation, the Wheel, to develop and operate a nationwide community outreach digital switchover programme (Outreach Programme).

The Wheel, in conjunction with voluntary and community organisations throughout the country, will roll out a countrywide Outreach Programme in April 2012, which will provide additional assistance and advice at community level to those who may find the move to digital TV difficult. The aim of the Outreach Programme is to ensure that everybody is made aware of the switchover and that no TV viewers are left without a TV service once the national analogue TV service switches off on October 24th 2012. A press release issued and is available on my Department’s website at www.dcenr.gov.ie.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2012/01/12/00120.asp#N2

Dáil question for written reply last week
    151. Deputy Simon Harris asked the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources his plans to introduce a waiver scheme whereby he will defray some or all of the costs that must be borne by persons and families to access the new Saorview service in geographic locations when terrestrial television signals have been exceptionally and consistently poor for many years; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [6082/12]

Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources (Deputy Pat Rabbitte): I am very much aware of the challenges digital switchover brings, in particular for households that are reliant on the existing “free to air” analogue TV network. However, I wish to make clear from the outset, that I have no plans to introduce waivers for persons to upgrade their television equipment.

All households solely reliant on the existing “free to air” analogue TV network will need to upgrade to digital TV by 24th October 2012, the date of analogue switch off, or they will lose access to television services. TV households can choose to upgrade to digital TV by moving to a pay-TV service or by upgrading to Saorview, Ireland’s national digital TV aerial network, which was launched by RTÉ on 26th May 2011.

To upgrade to Saorview, TV households will need to purchase either a Saorview approved set top box to connect to their existing TV or a new Saorview digital TV. In some cases, depending on the type of aerial, the orientation and age of the aerial, some TV households may need a new aerial or aerial adjustment. The number of these is estimated to be around 20,000 TV households.

Experience from other European countries indicates that the cost of set top boxes and other digital receivers reduces as the date for digital switchover approaches and as competition increases in the market. There is clear evidence that this is now happening in Ireland with affordable set top boxes that meet the Saorview standard now coming on the market, as well as a range of suitable digital televisions. In addition, experience from other European countries also shows that the availability of accurate and reliable information and the provision of practical assistance is the most effective approach towards assisting people in making the switch to digital television.

In this regard, therefore, to overcome the challenges that digital switchover brings, I have undertaken to deliver a substantial information campaign providing households with information on the digital switchover and on their options for going digital. This information campaign commenced in quarter four 2011. There are a number of strands to the campaign including a national telephone helpline and a national advertising and public relations campaign. The campaign will run up to the end of 2012.

In conjunction with this, my Department has been working to address the particular information and assistance needs of vulnerable households as they prepare to go digital. In this context, the expertise and local knowledge of the many voluntary and charity organisations around the country is of critical importance in ensuring the success of the switchover process. On January 10th 2012 I signed an agreement with national voluntary organisation, the Wheel, to develop and operate a nationwide community outreach digital switchover programme.

The Wheel, in conjunction with voluntary and community organisations throughout the country, will roll out a countrywide Outreach Programme in April 2012, which will provide additional assistance and advice at community level to those who may find the move to digital TV difficult. The aim of the Outreach Programme is to ensure that everybody is made aware of the switchover and that no TV viewers are left without a TV service once the national analogue TV service switches off on October 24th 2012. A press release issued and is available on my Department’s website at www.dcenr.gov.ie.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2012/02/02/00109.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

The Minister mentioned "The Wheel" http://www.wheel.ie/about
    This is the first time I ever heard of "The Wheel".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I don't understand why we couldn't have just adopted the same standard as FreeView-HD

The only box I am seeing on sale rather a lot is some kind of a device re-badged by Walker.

I don't see any major brands in the SaorView space for STBs yet.

• Advertisement

UK D-Book is a closed secret standard used only by UK.

We are using exactly the same MHEG5 profile and the open Published Nordig standard that Ireland has a seat on the Standards committee and is supported by a group of countries.

http://www.saortv.info/about/nordig/

Nordig also includes DVB-T2, but Ireland doesn't need DVB-T2

Basic "boxes" are only short term for converting existing incompatible TVs apart from real PVRs which have not been released yet. In the longer term there is no basic STB market. The "big" brands will sell the true PVRs as there is a longer term market. But as yet not a large enough market.

There is plenty of TV choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Solair wrote: »
    I don't see any major brands in the SaorView space for STBs yet.

STBs are going for BlueRay and Smart TV in the main. I would like to see an STB with a Digital Tuner, Smart TV and perhaps BlueRay, that might be worth 99euro.

Anyway the government and minister really don't give a flying shíte. (yes I am getting far more cynical the more I look at the ineptitude of the higher ups in government and civil service, the rest seem to have no views).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 channnels

It's taken you this long to figure out how official Ireland works? The minister is a figurehead. The real policy is formed by the civil servants who are not accountable to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Just to clarify, are ye looking for the Government/ Civil Service to go into manufacturing STB's? Or to somehow force mainstream manufacturers to make them?

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Just to clarify, are ye looking for the Government/ Civil Service to go into manufacturing STB's? Or to somehow force mainstream manufacturers to make them?

Just to clarify

1. I would like manufactures to provide
    an STB with a Digital Tuner, Smart TV functions and perhaps BlueRay, that might be worth 99euro.

2. I am talking about the Public Awareness and Help Scheme and the overall way in which the department has dealt with ASO/DSO.
    Anyway the government and minister really don't give a flying shíte. (yes I am getting far more cynical the more I look at the ineptitude of the higher ups in government and civil service, the rest seem to have no views).

So just to clarify I do not want the government to go next or near things they don't understand :)
    It's taken you this long to figure out how official Ireland works? The minister is a figurehead. The real policy is formed by the civil servants who are not accountable to the public.

I thought things might have changed. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Elmo wrote: »

I thought things might have changed. :(

It is 100 years since the Titanic went down.

It is over 3 years since Anglo went down.

It is over one year since the country went down.

What makes you think anything has/will change. We still have overpaid Miniters, top Civil Servants, top Bankers, and still the Government thinks hitting the poor suckers at the bottom is the only solution.

RTE are ignoring Saorview, TV3 have no interest in it. The dept has no interest in it. Roll on ASO and the associated panic, with Joe Duffy leading the charge on why no-one told us about it, and isn't it another example of Dublin ignoring us poor rural types.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

What has been done in NI to advertise the switchover?

ardmacha wrote: »

The difference between the UK and Ireland.

1. Mistakes have been made in relation to Digital in the UK, none have been made in Ireland but then that's because nothing has been done to this point.

2. On the Freeview service the UK has a broad selection of channels, now while Ireland could not have that range of channels, we could have at least 4 more then we currently have, not own or operated by TV3, RTÉ and TG4. We could also ad extra services from them. If this were the case people might think about switching or at least have heard of digital, but then with the lack of crossover promos on Irish TV you would think it did not exist. Meanwhile ITV, BBC, C4 cross promote and provided some free support. In Ireland +1s are the order of the day and coming soon around 2014 or not.

3. The UK government delegated the DSO/ASO campaign to the Broadcasters and Multiplex operators meaning that the Exchequer didn't take that much of a hit, in relation to the size of the country, however BBC, C4 and ITV etc have spent millions on DSO/ASO platform neutral campaign called Digital UK www.digitaluk.co.uk, meanwhile in Ireland the Exchequer has taken up the role of paying for www.goingdigital.ie, rather then allowing for some cross promotion, some going digital from the broadcasters. ect.

http://www.itv.com/help/digitalswitchoverhelp/default.html
    http://about.channel5.com/customer-services/how-to-get-channel5
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/digitaltv/
    http://www.channel4.com/programmes/digital-tv/articles/digital-tv

Any one want to provide me with similar pages from Irish TV stations?

ardmacha wrote: »

DigitalUK's NI Facebook page carries details of switchover events happening around NI - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Digital-UK-Northern-Ireland/269908919691773

I guess you'll see much more activity in the final 3/4 months after the London/Meridian regions are switched off.

RTE did have a page www.rte.ie/saorview It redirects to www.saorview.ie now

watty wrote: »
    RTE did have a page www.rte.ie/saorview It redirects to www.saorview.ie now

with that I should mention that Saorview were on TV3.

http://www.tv3.ie/3player/show/184/44682/1/Ireland-AM

But any "platform neutral" guides?

My site? :D
    www.saortv.info

watty wrote: »

Just noticed on the bai website a nice neat logo that hopefully will appear on other service. Boards bet on how long it will take for them to place such a link on their home pages/websites.

GoGigital-icon.png

Also if you are interested in becoming a "Digital Outreach Champion" you can sign up with The Wheel.

http://www.wheel.ie/news/new-digital-switchover-programme-seeking-applications

Digital TV Outreach "Champions" 2 day Training Seminar, Dept press release
    Minister Rabbitte and Gay Byrne welcome Digital TV Outreach "Champions" at Training Seminar

Dublin, Thursday 1st March 2012

MINISTER RABBITTE AND GAY BYRNE WELCOME DIGITAL TV OUTREACH
    “CHAMPIONS” AT TRAINING SEMINAR

23 COUNTY CHAMPIONS BEGIN TWO DAY TRAINING PROGRAMME IN ADVANCE OF

NATIONWIDE COMMUNITY OUTREACH CAMPAIGN

Thursday 1st March, 2012: Minister for Communications, Energy & Natural Resources, Pat Rabbitte T.D., was joined by Gay Byrne in Dublin today to welcome 23 Digital Outreach Champions who have just been selected to help create greater awareness and understanding of the Digital Switchover in local communities across the country.

The Digital Outreach Champions who will cover every county in the Republic Of Ireland, have gathered in Dublin for two days of training which will inform them of the nature and scope of the Department of Communications, Energy & Natural Resources’ (DCENR) Digital Switchover national information and awareness campaign and outline what on-the-ground activities they will embark on in their roles as Digital Outreach Champions.

DCENR announced a partnership with The Wheel and Irish Rural Link in January as part of the Department’s outreach programme which is committed to ensuring that the more vulnerable people in the country are not left behind when the analogue TV signal is switched off on Wednesday 24th October this year.

According to Minister Rabbitte, “The success of the Department’s national information and awareness campaign is dependent on us reaching all strands of society in local communities right across the country and the Digital Outreach Champions will play an essential role in making this happen. They are a vital element in the outreach programme we have developed in partnership with The Wheel and Irish Rural Link and will greatly assist us in mobilising community and voluntary organisations at a local level in every parish of the country.”

The Digital Outreach Champions have been specifically selected by The Wheel and Irish Rural link following an application process which was advertised nationally and locally and sought to identify individuals and organisations living in local communities throughout Ireland with a keen interest in helping inform more vulnerable people living in their county about the digital switchover. On completion of the training and planning phase over a six week period, the Champions will begin their role of ensuring that people, especially those in rural communities, have all of the information they need for making the switch over to Digital Television before the analogue system is switched off.

Minister Rabbitte added, “The Digital switchover is a very positive thing for Ireland and we need to ensure that we promote it as such. The Digital Outreach Champions will play an important role in helping us deliver a positive message around the arrival of digital television in Ireland and will give people the relevant information in a format that is simple, clear, concise and easy to understand.

Anyone who currently relies on an aerial to watch TV - approximately 250,000 households across Ireland - will need to take action before 24th October 2012 to retain access to TV services. Guidance on the Digital Switchover is available at http://www.goingdigital.ie/, through LoCall 1890 940 980 (English language) and 1890 940 970 (Irish language). Information booklets are also available in post offices and Citizen Information Centres throughout the country and an updated booklet will be sent to all households in the country later in the Summer.

Ends/

Notes to Editors

-Oct 24th 2012 is the official date of the completion of Digital Switchover in Ireland
    -The outreach programme envisages that a national coordinating team comprising personnel from the Wheel and Irish Rural Link will work with the Digital Outreach Champions to mobilise community and voluntary organisations at a local level in every parish of the country.
    -The Wheel is a national representative and support body for community, voluntary and charity organisations.
    -Irish Rural Link is the national network representing rural communities.
    -Information on digital switchover is available on 1890 940 980 (English language) and 1890 940 970 (Irish language). or http://www.goingdigital.ie/
    Photos will be distributed and available from this office

For further information:

Press Office DCENR,
    Enda Gallagher
    T: (01) 6782441 / 087 6937580
    E: press.office@dcenr.gov.ie

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Press+Releases/2012/Minister+Rabbitte+and+Gay+Byrne+welcome+Digital+TV+Outreach+Champions+at+Training+Seminar.htm
    Minister Rabbitte and Gay Byrne welcome digital TV Outreach Champions at training seminiar

Minister Rabbitte and Gay Byrne welcome digital TV Outreach Champions at training seminiar. Minister for Communications, Energy & Natural Resources, Pat Rabbitte T.D., was joined by Gay Byrne in Dublin today to welcome 23 Digital Outreach Champions who have just been selected to help create greater awareness and understanding of the Digital Switchover in local communities across
    the country. To see the release whhich issued please visit the media releases section of this website.

http://www.goingdigital.ie/Info/News/Minister+Rabbitte+and+Gay+Byrne+welcome+digital+TV+Outreach+Champions+at+training+seminiar.htm
    Outreach

Minister for Communications, Energy & Natural Resources, Pat Rabbitte T.D. today (10th January 2012) announced that he has signed an agreement with national voluntary organisation, the Wheel, to develop and operate a nationwide community outreach digital switchover programme. (Outreach Programme)
    The Wheel in conjunction with voluntary and community organisations throughout the country will rollout a countrywide Outreach Programme in April 2012 which will provide additional assistance and advice at community level to those who may find the move to digital TV difficult. The aim of the Outreach Programme is to ensure that everybody is made aware of the switchover and that no TV viewers are left without a TV service once the national analogue TV service switches off on October 24th 2012.

The Wheel has developed an information pack and application form for community and voluntary organisations wishing to apply for funding to engage a digital outreach champion. These documents are available on the Wheel’s website at the following link - Information Pack and Application Form

http://www.goingdigital.ie/Sections/Outreach/

Digital TV Outreach "Champions" 2 day Training Seminar, Dept press release

When are they planning to start outreaching? October 1st? Okay little sarcastic but its good to hear from Going Digital Brian he's been away for a long while.

• Advertisement

When are they planning to start outreaching?

April, according to the press releases

EDIT: This from The Wheel website
    The Community Outreach Programme

The Community Outreach Digital Switchover Programme is managed and coordinated by The Wheel in conjunction with Irish Rural Link, with funding from the Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources.

The aim of the Programme is that those who are least likely to make the switchover to a digital television service will be enabled to do so before the switching off of the analogue signal in October 2012.

From March 2012, our 26 County Champions will be begin coordinating with community and voluntary groups in their locality in order to make the target group aware of the impending Digital Switchover deadline.

http://www.wheel.ie/content/digital-switchover-2012-community-outreach-programme

April, according to the press releases

Ah! April I love April its like the Spring. April 30th 2012????? I also like May because it can be considered the Spring and Summer. :rolleyes:

The list of digital outreach champions by county is now available on the Going Digital and Wheel websites
    Outreach

On the 10th January 2012 Minister for Communications, Energy & Natural Resources, Pat Rabbitte T.D. signed an agreement with national voluntary organisation, the Wheel, to develop and operate a nationwide community outreach digital switchover programme. (Outreach Programme)
    The Community Outreach Digital Switchover Programme is managed and coordinated by The Wheel in conjunction with Irish Rural Link, with funding from the Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources.

The aim of the Programme is that those who are least likely to make the switchover to a digital television service will be enabled to do so before the switching off of the analogue signal on Wednesday 24 October 2012.

There are 26 County/area Champions appointed by the Wheel to coordinate activities locally. The Champions are currently coordinating with community and voluntary groups in their locality in order to increase awareness of the impending Digital Switchover deadline.

If you or your organisation would like to help, click here to see the list of digital outreach champions by county.

The objectives of the Outreach Programme are to reach vulnerable households in order to increase and enhance:

1. Awareness of the importance of making the switchover and the consequences of not doing so,
    2. Awareness of the options available to make a successful switchover,

And

3. to ensure householders are able to make a decision and exercise that decision.

Further information is available from the Wheel by logging on www.wheel.ie

http://www.goingdigital.ie/Sections/Outreach/
    This target group are likely to:

• Be older
    • Have less formal education
    • Be farmers or live in rural areas
    • Be disadvantaged, e.g. have a disability, live alone
    • Have few social networks

http://www.wheel.ie/digitalswitchover

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

I hope all this is going to be value for money with proper accountabilities. i don't deny that it's important work. It just seems a tad unfocussed and perhaps a little late. Time will tell.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I was down at the B&Q Ideal Homes Exhibition at the weekend and asked at the Saorview stand about series link. I was told that there would be no recording on Saorview - not now - not ever. I did not pursue the matter.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭zg3409

I was down at the B&Q Ideal Homes Exhibition at the weekend and asked at the Saorview stand about series link. I was told that there would be no recording on Saorview - not now - not ever. I did not pursue the matter.

I spoke to Saorview Brian last week, and he said it will be launched the same time as a Saorview dual tuner box. I am not sure if the person you spoke with was aware of future plans.

zg3409 wrote: »
    I spoke to Saorview Brian last week, and he said it will be launched the same time as a Saorview dual tuner box. I am not sure if the person you spoke with was aware of future plans.

Saorview-Brian was not there when I was, and the person was quite deffinite in her opinion. I assume she is wrong.

Saorview-Brian was not there when I was, and the person was quite deffinite in her opinion. I assume she is wrong.

It is a little too definitive to say not ever.

Obviously not properly briefed. Complete nonsense.

Of course the Chairman of RTE once told me face to face we would never have Digital TV or optical /laser distribution of it and other material.

My Aer Lingus Young Scientist Competition entry (1971 or 1972):
    Digital TV and laser based Digital Communication.

Fibre Optic comms was demoed in late 1972 (which uses lasers) and BBC experimented with Digital TV before 1980.

I had read about both. Not my ideas at all. My only "contribution" was to say the the Digital Laser systems would be needed to distribute it. Also to draw big posters explaining Analogue to Digital conversion etc.

• Advertisement

Either she didn't know (as watty said) or didn't care or maybe just didn't want to be there :D

What we do know is
    - When Saorview:Brian was here he said series-link would be ready from Q2.
    - The Saorview people said the other night in Carlow that it was tested and ready and will be made available when there is a Saorview approved PVR on the market.
    - Reported as testing in a number of posts here

Advertisement