Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉNL Saorview-DTT Public Information

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,522 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Good piece on Saorview on Ear to the Ground tonight aimed at rural audience - beginning of information ramp up ?

RTÉ Player link - http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=1138170

Good presentation all right and Saorview:Brian makes an appearence too.

Looking at the Cal Buckley aerial install could they not have used one of the existing 3 aerials without adding a fourth? Didn't see any co-ax from that aerial once he took away the ladder, must be a "wireless" aerial :)

34g3vb7.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

The Cush wrote: »
    Looking at the Cal Buckley aerial install could they not have used one of the existing 3 aerials without adding a fourth? Didn't see any co-ax from that aerial once he took away the ladder, must be a "wireless" aerial :)

Where would the birds sit is he took the other aerials down ? Nowhere for the Saorview signal to hide though - those aerials are pointing in every direction!

The new one certainly looks like one of those Wireless Digital HD aerials alright. €2000 but worth every cent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭eddiem10

Did I also see them use a scart cable instead of a HDMI? (The TV may have been pre HDMI)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Good piece on Saorview on Ear to the Ground tonight aimed at rural audience - beginning of information ramp up ?

Where is going digital "brian" these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭zg3409

eddiem10 wrote: »
    Did I also see them use a scart cable instead of a HDMI? (The TV may have been pre HDMI)

If watching fast forward to 16:00 onwards. That's where the item starts.

Yes. The demo TV (not the one in the house) HAD HDMI but they connected a Scart lead to it!!!!

Through the magic of TV they show how an aerial can work with no coax, how your local TV shop knows good installers, that leave all old aerials, and probably actually re-used the old aerial, as the shiny new aerial was fitted for show but had no coax fitted. Also why did he put it on the end wall when the others were on the chimney.

To be fair it's probably just TV magic, where things are done to look good, easy camera angles etc. They needed to show something being put on the roof, and for simplicity they probably took that approach. If that installer left my house that way I would not be happy. In reality that aerial may have been taken down after filming.

Interesting that they say use recommended installers, yet the installer they used was recommended not by Saorview but by the TV shop. I think his website is here:

http://www.damienwalsh.com/

He doesn't appear to be on Saorview's list of recommended installers:

http://www.cai.org.uk/component/content/article/474

http://www.nationalguild.ie/content/view/107/75/

http://www.isaa.tv/features.php?county=waterford

That's not to say he is not a competent installer (ignoring the screenshot above!), but RTE/RTENL should practice what they preach and go through the registered bodies.

Still it's probably the best item of public information I have seen so far! (I think I'll fire him off an email so he can defend himself!)

• Advertisement

The installer has replied to the questions already
    I will ad my piece to this discussion upon my return to the office later,

The aerial was of course only put up for the tv show,

The old aerials were removed after filming! Not to climbing up on a roof with a camera crew around,

Also in reality the aerial that ye saw on tv being fixed to the wall was removed and because of Cal Buckley's location close to the local transmitter the aerial was permanently installed in the attic!!

TV Magic indeed

Rev 6 of the Saorview FAQ now up (rev 5 didn't make a public appearence that I know of)

http://www.rtenl.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/RTÉNL-SAORVIEW-FAQs-Jan-2012-Rev-6.0.pdf

Rev 7 of the RTÉNL Saorview FAQ and and the first RTÉNL SAORSAT FAQs now available

http://www.rtenl.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/RTÉNL-SAORVIEW-FAQs-Mar-2012-Rev-7.0.pdf
    http://www.rtenl.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/RTÉNL-SAORSAT-FAQs-Mar-2012-Rev-1.0.pdf

SaorView Digital TV

Date(s) Thursday, 19 April 2012 Time(s) From 6:15 PM Venue IT Carlow

About the event:
    Various speakers will discuss SaorView - Ireland’s first free digital television service. It brings you all your favourite Irish channels, crystal-clear pictures, better quality sound, on-screen programme menus and digital teletext – all for free. All you ever wanted to know about SaorView will be discussed

Joint event with IET Ireland Network

Admission: Free. All Welcome

http://www.engineersireland.ie/groups/regions/south-east/events/saorview-digital-tv.aspx

I have emailed them for more info

More info:
    The next IET Ireland Network Event takes place next Thursday April 19th in room F210 Barrow Centre Carlow IT. Refreshments will be served at 18:30 and the presentations start at 19:00.

SaorView is Ireland's first free digital TV service. It brings you all of your favourite Irish channels with crystal clear pictures, better quality sound on screen menus and digital teletext - all for free!

Eamon Reid (Head of Projects RTE Networks),
    John Hearn (Head of Technology RTE Networks) and
    Brian Geraghty (SAORVIEW Digital Reception Manager)
    [I think this is Saorview Brian]

present the details behind the project roll-out and technology and most of all what SaorView can do for you!

Where: F210 Barrow Centre IT Carlow

When: Thursday 19th April

Tea/Coffee 18:30 Presentation starts at 19:00

This event is free and open to members and non-members alike

Event Registration

Please register via email

iet.eireann AT gmail.com

IET Ireland Network is your local network of The Institution of Engineering and Technology (the IET), a registered charity with Head Office at Michael Faraday House, Six Hills Way, Stevenage, SG1 2AY, United Kingdom.

I am not sure if the cat at dog will make their way down!

I have started a thread here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78192998

for those who would like me to ask qns at the talk in carlow tomorrow

• Advertisement

Saorview website has had a bit of a makeover today - http://www.saorview.ie/

Saorview website has had a bit of a makeover today - http://www.saorview.ie/
    JOB VACANCY

Past or Present Late Late Show Host Required

Required to talk to camera about Digital TV

No knowledge of Digital TV required

Experience of turning on a TV an advantage but not necessary.

Clear Speaking Voice

Ability to condescend necessary

Contact nearest Gullible Public Servant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Itmakesnosense

In fairness I have to say they seem to have made a good enough job of it, when you click the equipment tab you have the installers link beside the retailers link, thats a vast improvement. It isn't often I'd give credit to Saorview but I will on this one and as for Tubbs well at least its better than being spoken to by a dog and cat.

It isn't often I'd give credit to Saorview but I will on this one and as for Tubbs well at least its better than being spoken to by a dog and cat.

I don't know I think they could take over on the late late show. But that is another topic for another thread.

The Talk in IT Carlow was very interesting. It wasn't for the end use public, but about the entire countrywide rollout and how the system works etc. from an engineering perspective.

They showed the cranes putting up the masts etc. They showed screenshots of equipment being used to monitor the network etc.

They has a sample of the hardline feeder, a panel antenna, directional coupler etc.
    They said 17dB SNR is needed for Saorview to work (digital cliff) but they recommended a signal 20dB above this would be best.

I asked qns, not all were 100% answered but I did my best and to be fair they answered most of them as best they could within their constraints.

Regarding broadcasting of series link I posed the qn of when. They said it is fully tested and can be turned on anytime they want.

They said they are deliberatelly waiting for a dual terrestrial tuner approved for Saorview to come out.

The reason they said why is not really technical. They said if they broadcast it today, people with single tuner PVR's will be comparing it to Sky+HD with live pause, dual tuner etc and be dissapointed. Another even more worrying problem would be if non Saorview dual tuners started selling in droves then people would be using them on Saorview.

What they want is a proper Saorview approved dual tuner to be launched in the future, on the same time as series link, so that people can get the full approved device. It is not expected this will happen any time soon, but this is up to manufacturers rather than RTENL.

They want the Saorview brand to be protected from non appoved dodgy gear and everyone using equipment which has every feature, unlike the old freeview launch in the UK where some boxes sold were not 100% compatable and people blamed freeview rather than the device manufacturers.

I can see their point. No-one should be buying a non Saorview device. I know combo's are selling well, but they do damage the saorview brand by not really working on Saorview 100%. It would be ideal if the triax combo was the same price as the others. It's a pain for those who have 99% compatable devices already though.

Regarding the Saorview combo box they said another brand would be approved shortly and should bring the cost of the triax unit down.

Regarding the 4 extra DTT sites: Glenties, Greenore, Dingle and Bandon they will be on air before end October possibly a little sooner and the coverage map will be updated to show those areas as green. No plans for anywhere else.

Regarding the NI minimux no-one has won contract, no futher info.

Regarding Saorsat it is now launched, that's it, no changes planned anytime soon. They said it is up to the BAI etc what is carried.

Regarding the second MUX they said they hope to use it in the next year or so.

They said from June 4th 2012 all analogue transmissions will start to carry warnings "upgrade or else" etc

Regarding the DTT Public information they said they have used the feedback from the public on their work up to now to improve/change the advertising from now onwards. They launched a slightly changed website today.

They have launched a new TV ad campaign. Tommy and PJ will be getting more of a back seat role (Early semi-retirement) and the ads will be more technical. The ads will also keep mentioning you need an aerial more and more as there was a misconception that you needed a set top box but not an aerial.

They said Gaybo's ad was not great at getting the message across you still need an aerial for Saorview.

They are going on lots of local radio, customised to the location, and they will be at events like ideal homes this weekend in Dublin and Ploughling championships etc etc.
    They have worked with transition year students to speak to their elderly neighbours. They will be having newspaper ads, and leaflets inside papers.

They are trying to target their campaign towards those in 4 channel land, and the elderly, less educated who will have the most problems during changeover.

zg3409 wrote: »
    I asked qns, not all were 100% answered but I did my best and to be fair they answered most of them as best they could within their constraints.

Thanks for the update so soon after the talk, much appreciated.
    Regarding broadcasting of series link I posed the qn of when. They said it is fully tested and can be turned on anytime they want.

They said they are deliberatelly waiting for a dual terrestrial tuner approved for Saorview to come out.

The reason they said why is not really technical. They said if they broadcast it today, people with single tuner PVR's will be comparing it to Sky+HD with live pause, dual tuner etc and be dissapointed. Another even more worrying problem would be if non Saorview dual tuners started selling in droves then people would be using them on Saorview.

What they want is a proper Saorview approved dual tuner to be launched in the future, on the same time as series link, so that people can get the full approved device. It is not expected this will happen any time soon, but this is up to manufacturers rather than RTENL.

They want the Saorview brand to be protected from non appoved dodgy gear and everyone using equipment which has every feature, unlike the old freeview launch in the UK where some boxes sold were not 100% compatable and people blamed freeview rather than the device manufacturers.

If a Saorview approved dual tuner PVR doesn't appear on the market soon, viewers will be looking else where for one, myself included (now that my DVD/HDD recorder has failed for the second time, probably not worth repairing at this stage). The Sony and Humax PVRs are reported here to be working just fine with the Saorview channels with the Humax reported to be working with the "test" series-link. The new Samsung PVRs look very good spec-wise and am very tempted.
    Regarding the Saorview combo box they said another brand would be approved shortly and should bring the cost of the triax unit down.

Walker?
    Regarding the NI minimux no-one has won contract, no futher info.

I wonder what they mean by that - still under discussion or tender cancelled due to single bidder (Arqiva?) and/or cost too high? Sam the Aerialman speculated otherwise recently.
    They said from June 4th 2012 all analogue transmissions will start to carry warnings "upgrade or else" etc

About time too.
    Regarding the DTT Public information they said they have used the feedback from the public on their work up to now to improve/change the advertising from now onwards. They launched a slightly changed website today.

They included a change on the website I suggested to them previously, good to see they are responding to feedback.
    They have launched a new TV ad campaign. Tommy and PJ will be getting more of a back seat role (Early semi-retirement) and the ads will be more technical. The ads will also keep mentioning you need an aerial more and more as there was a misconception that you needed a set top box but not an aerial.

They said Gaybo's ad was not great at getting the message across you still need an aerial for Saorview.

I don't think the new Tommy & PJ radio/TV ads, which appeared on Monday I believe, are any better than the old ads.

Regarding information on aerials, prior to the discussion we had here in this thread in early Jan the aerial info to the general public was almost non existent or inaccurate (I remember back in Jan the government's Going Digital website telling us the aerial TV network was switching off) but it did improve from there on in, on their website and in their radio & TV presentations - this Saorview:Brian demonstration on TV3's Ireland AM in late Jan comes to mind.
    They are trying to target their campaign towards those in 4 channel land,

Hence their partnership with Muintir na Tíre and Macra na Feirme

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It seems Sky are at this years Ideal Homes Exhibition giving special offers to help the public with the Digital Switchover.
    Do Saorview have a stand on site I wonder or have they yet again missed another trick?

zerks wrote: »
    It seems Sky are at this years Ideal Homes Exhibition giving special offers to help the public with the Digital Switchover.
    Do Saorview have a stand on site I wonder or have they yet again missed another trick?

http://www.idealhome.ie/saorview-home-entertainment/

They are partners of the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Elmo wrote: »

Thanks,just saw a thread in BA about Sky giving deals to people for ASO.

zerks wrote: »
    Thanks,just saw a thread in BA about Sky giving deals to people for ASO.

Are they censoring the Departments public information?

Seems to me that this would be an "ideal" event for Going Digital. Any other digital switchover stands at the event?

• Advertisement

They will be having newspaper ads, and leaflets inside papers.

Saorview flyer in today's Irish Indo, not in the Irish Times.

3/4 of a page of paid advertising on Saorview on page 7 of todays Irish Independent.

Both Cat and dog appear ain quote

"The future of TV is here and it's free"

More news, Sport, Entertainment, Drama ....

Saorview gives you all your favourite Irish Channels for free. To get Saorview all you need is an aerial and a Saorview approved set-top box or TV

Find your local Saorview retailer at saorview.ie or Lo call 1890 22 2012

Be digital ready with Sorview by 24th october 2012

Saorview Ireland's free digitial television service.

3/4 of a page of paid advertising on Saorview on page 7 of todays Irish Independent.

On page 3 of my Irish Indo, about 1/4 page (broadsheet vs. tabloid metro edition).

The same ad is on the back cover of next week's RTÉ Guide (out today), will upload it tomorrow.

28jdw86.jpg

Attached also is a scan of the Saorview flyer from Saturday's Irish Indo

The only difference in this rev is a mention of Saorsat and that TG4 is on Saorsat.

In today's Irish indo there is a 16 page insert from http://www.expert.ie . On the front page is tommy and PJ images with a 4 step guide to getting Saorview. The wording says call into "expert stores" etc along with http://www.saorview.ie etc and check you aerial.

It also mentions the Walker combo box is Saorview approved:
    See here for this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056628216

• Registered Users Posts: 34,392 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It also mentions the Walker combo box is Saorview approved:
    See here for this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056628216

It's not listed on the Saorview website - not yet, anyway.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

As of next week, there will be scrolling banners across all 4 analogue channels, warning of the upcoming switchover in October.

Received an email from Saorview at work about it, though don't remember specifics - it did mention the wording to be used. It'll appear 4 times daily from what I recall, each for 30 seconds.

I'd imagine the number of times the banner appears will gradually get more persistent as we near on DSO.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,392 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

4 times daily for 30 seconds? That's a whole 1/720th of broadcasting hours - 2 mins per hour to start with would be more like it!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

ninja900 wrote: »
    4 times daily for 30 seconds? That's a whole 1/720th of broadcasting hours - 2 mins per hour to start with would be more like it!

9am, 10am, 11am and Noon.

Advertisement