Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Analogue Switchoff - Public Awareness & Help Scheme

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Elmo wrote: »
    The research that they have announced has come after they put up the BUG's for ASO/DSO, they failed to announce the results because they know that most people are getting their information from Soarview. Lets see the full report.

I've no doubt the survey result will be uploaded to the Going Digital website in due course as they have been previously. If you can't wait just send them an email, I've always found them prompt to reply to a query.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The Cush wrote: »
    I've no doubt the survey result will be uploaded to the Going Digital website in due course as they have been previously. If you can't wait just send them an email, I've always found them prompt to reply to a query.

I just find the whole going digital campaign to be a whitewash, the results should have been published along side the press release.

Lets face it most people are using anything but going digital for information.

The re-scanning for Saorview information should also come from going digital not just RTÉ. And should be provided across all Soarview channels.

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Press+Releases/2011/Minister+Rabbitte+welcomes+latest+Digital+TV+Switchover+research.htm

Results that lack information about were people are getting their information from unlike previous versions.

http://www.goingdigital.ie/NR/rdonlyres/B8D45A42-CB73-431E-8C39-4B8298793850/0/DSOresearchJune2012.pdf

This evening's Six-One News had a report on the new Saorview information campaign with Nuala Carey of the Weather fame fronting the ad(s) - Six One News: 100 days until analogue TV service switched off.

With 100 days to go to ASO the Going Digital website got a slight makeover today, gone is the "months-days-hours-mins-secs" countdown timer and replaced with the Saorview website like "days to go" timer.

Also gone are the "How do I switch?" and "Policy and Change" tabs. Gone too is the link to the research page which contained the Millward Brown Lansdowne awareness surveys discussed above, previously located under the Information Center tab (link from site gone but old link still working).

5lwe36.jpg

Also gone are the "How do I switch?" and "Policy and Change" tabs. Gone too is the link to the research page which contained the Millward Brown Lansdowne awareness surveys discussed above, previously located under the Information Center tab (link from site gone but old link still working).

It's called shhhhh don't tell anyone how badly this actually is after all the date is set and really while we had 3 years since the pay platform debacle we still didn't do all that much, but the BAI seem to think it might be an idea to seek expressions of interest for local stations around the country something that isn't that important in terms of broadcasting at the moment. shhhhhhh

also The website is still a mess.

• Advertisement

This evening's Six-One News had a report on the new Saorview information campaign with Nuala Carey of the Weather fame fronting the ad(s) - Six One News: 100 days until analogue TV service switched off.

The Nuala Carey ad can be seen here now - http://www.rte.ie/ten/2012/0717/soarview.html. In my opinion it's no better than the Tommy/PJ ads, can't see it getting people to rush out to upgrade to Saorview. The Ryan Tubridy/Collette Fitzpatrick Saorview promo video still provides the the best and clearest Saorview information to date.

Other news reports today
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0717/1224320250990.html
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/blank-tv-screens-forecast-as-500000-fail-to-upgrade-3171123.html
    http://www.marketing.ie/index.jsp?p=93&n=421&a=800

From the Indo - ASO will take place at 10 am on October 24th (discussed here recently)
    There are just 100 days remaining before the analog service is turned off at 10am on October 24.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/blank-tv-screens-forecast-as-500000-fail-to-upgrade-3171123.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Why can they not clearly state that Saorview has been fully working for over a year. All these announcements sound like a launch on Oct 24th, not a funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

Irish times says:

MY FOLKS HAVE PIPED TV VIA A CABLE. DO THEY NEED SAORVIEW AND, IF SO, WHAT BOX TYPE DO THEY NEED?

Yes. They are going to need a set-top box or a Saorview approved TV.

I despair!

I have emailed the Irish Times, hopefully they will change it.
    Is this in the print edition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

From the Indo - ASO will take place at 10 am on October 24th (discussed here recently)
    Interesting, so it seems analogue TV will last a few hours longer in the South compared to the North (if the Northern Irish DSO follows a similar time pattern that has been done over in Britain) though I wonder how they will handle the frequency changes at Mt. Leinster & Clermont Carn, not to mention some of the recently announced new relays that'll be using a frequency currently used for analogue. There's also the issue of TG4 at Moville on E50, where Limavady plans to use that frequency to broadcast the BBC A Multiplex two weeks prior to ASO in the Republic. Surely Ofcom & Comreg hasn't overlooked that bit? I'll need to double check but I wonder if there are other temporary frequency clashes along the border which could prove chaotic for NI viewers retuning after both stages of DSO, giving morning headaches but a "solution" by afternoon?

In fact it wouldn't surprise me if the ASO/DSO in Northern Ireland will itself be at 10am too as a coincidental send off to analogue TV in the UK as well. Arqiva will need plenty of manpower though if all relays are to be sorted well before tea-time on the 24th October.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Rumours abound that the nationwide campaign is in disarray and that many areas have no Digital Champion at all any more. They have given up. Some areas have even had 2 or 3 different champions so far, all of whom have given up.

Seemingly the charities that are running the nationwide campaign are not paying the champions anything..maybe Pat the Rabbitte is not paying the charities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭doney84

saorview.ie says 100 days until switchover & goingdigital.ie says 99 days to go :confused:

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Rumours abound that the nationwide campaign is in disarray and that many areas have no Digital Champion at all any more. They have given up. Some areas have even had 2 or 3 different champions so far, all of whom have given up.

Seemingly the charities that are running the nationwide campaign are not paying the champions anything..maybe Pat the Rabbitte is not paying the charities.

Well according to reports on this thread the Department was providing 600,000 to the outreach programme. I doubt all of it would have been given to Outreach Champions but they should have received something for the six months work.

The whole thing has been a mess and no matter how much you protest at the issues and problems surrounding the campaign the same old answers get thrown back to you by the Department and all of the stakeholders.

Soarview's campaign as been the most trustworthy, the going digital campaign is akin to the security at the London 2012 games.

All of the other work that should have been done was ignored :(

lawhec wrote: »
    In fact it wouldn't surprise me if the ASO/DSO in Northern Ireland will itself be at 10am too as a coincidental send off to analogue TV in the UK as well.

I speculated the same over in the other thread.

The information may be included in the next NI 3 month or final 1 month DigitalUK Trade Newsletters.

doney84 wrote: »
    saorview.ie says 100 days until switchover & goingdigital.ie says 99 days to go :confused:

Corrected now. I've noticed previously also, it appears to be input manually (see the source html). The new timer on the Going Digital appears to be automatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

The switchover is relatively more complex in the north. I can't imagine broadcasters will want services to be off all day in some areas whilst relay transmitters are off air.

There is less of an impact on commercial activities, if switchover happens overnight. Whereas there are relatively few technical changes that need to occur in the south. Just that the plug is pulled on analogue.

The south east is an issue. We might see something different with 10am thing there, maybe dual running on 23, 26, 39 and 45 if the second mux is up, then a retuning event (a la Three Rock) shortly afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The Nuala Carey ad can be seen here now - http://www.rte.ie/ten/2012/0717/soarview.html.

They put 'SOARVIEW' in the URL :pac:
    Wish I'd trademarked 'Soarview', I could've made a fortune by now...

MarkK wrote: »
    Irish times says:

MY FOLKS HAVE PIPED TV VIA A CABLE. DO THEY NEED SAORVIEW AND, IF SO, WHAT BOX TYPE DO THEY NEED?

I despair!

That's atrocious. (there was a terrible anti-science rant in the 'opinion' section today as well :mad:)
    You think that a mass media outlet is doing reasonably OK in a Saorview article, for once, and then you read a boneheaded statement like that and realise that nobody involved in writing or editing the piece has even the slightest hint of a clue about what they're going on about :(

So, what else in the daily newspapers can be trusted when almost every article in relation to science or technology is complete and utter rubbish?

Life ain't always empty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Elmo wrote: »
    Well according to reports on this thread the Department was providing 600,000 to the outreach programme. I doubt all of it would have been given to Outreach Champions but they should have received something for the six months work.

Apparently none of them have been paid yet and a load of them resigned in the spring. That is what I hear anyway.

Maybe the department want to know where all these champions have disappeared to and won't release any funds until they get a satisfactory answer.

I understand that nowhere in Dublin had a working Digital Champion at the point where the retune took place last week and none of the 'vulnerable' users...eg in Tallaght.... were told that Saorview was buggering off last week. :(

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Apparently none of them have been paid yet and a load of them resigned in the spring. That is what I hear anyway.

Maybe the department want to know where all these champions have disappeared to and won't release any funds until they get a satisfactory answer.

I understand that nowhere in Dublin had a working Digital Champion at the point where the retune took place last week and none of the 'vulnerable' users...eg in Tallaght.... were told that Saorview was buggering off last week. :(

That would really be an issues for the NGOs that the department are using. I imagine that the work is for the next few weeks, it is unlike that a digital champion would be paid a huge amount after all the money also helps with the NGOs they represent.

Should Saorview have an information channel?

Looking at the list of "digital champions" I see there was a change of champion in Limerick.

All 26 champions were in attendance at a meeting in Dublin earlier in the month where the latest ASO awareness figures were announced by the Minister, so they seem to have no problem recruiting new champions.

Irish times says:

I despair!

Error corrected in today's Irish Times
    LAST WEEK we ran a question and answer feature on Saorview.

In the piece we said that someone with “piped TV with a cable” would need a set-top box or a Saorview-approved TV.

We were wrong as a number of readers helpfully pointed out. UPC customers, including cable analogue customers, do not have to make any changes as UPC’s analogue TV service is not affected by the switch-off.

MMDS TV viewers also do not need to make any changes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

Irish times says:

I despair!

Error corrected in today's Irish Times
    LAST WEEK we ran a question and answer feature on Saorview.

In the piece we said that someone with “piped TV with a cable” would need a set-top box or a Saorview-approved TV.

We were wrong as a number of readers helpfully pointed out. UPC customers, including cable analogue customers, do not have to make any changes as UPC’s analogue TV service is not affected by the switch-off.

MMDS TV viewers also do not need to make any changes

PERHAPS that is why it is better to term it Digital switch overbeather than analogue switch off, as some analogue systems will remain.

Although, it probably doesn't matter to those people anyway, as they may not understand which system they are using.

There will continue to be lots of misinformation and certain retailers trying to sell additional items like 'digital aerials' before Oct 24th!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They should've kept it simple - if you're paying a monthly bill for TV now, you're not affected, if in doubt talk to your TV provider.

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

And don't believe a word Sky tell you in their adverts!

Advertisement