Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Analogue Switchoff - Public Awareness & Help Scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

An information booklet will be delivered by the Department to every household in the country in June.

I don't suppose they will show the foresight to post up a draft here for bull**** elimination?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/themediashow/

Episode 7
    Interesting piece at 16:11 from Ken Murphy of DIT. He starts at 18:50 after the minister. His costs seems a little out.

Before that interesting interview with Helen O'Rahilliy (sp?) about TV.

Full interview with Minister Rabbitte is also on that link from the previous week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Apogee

16 minutes into the show:

"That will mean if you're still hooked up to an aerial on October 25th, you'll be looking at a blank screen"

Apogee wrote: »
    16 minutes into the show:

"That will mean if you're still hooked up to an aerial on October 25th, you'll be looking at a blank screen"

Apogee don't pick up on sound bites :D anyway Ken really need to be more critical of the public awareness scheme run by the dept but at least it is a bit of criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

RTE1 and 2 have an annoying DOG on the screen nearly half way down on their analog signal. would an insert in the adbreaks not be enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭zg3409

RTE1 and 2 have an annoying DOG on the screen nearly half way down on their analog signal. would an insert in the adbreaks not be enough?

It is being discussed here with screenshots:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056194520&page=33

It's probably more appropriate here but no point moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I've seen that date on my Analog signal since I have had to change over with the good weather.. Surely they cant be switching off the analog signal until they have all the issues with the digital signal sorted??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I've seen that date on my Analog signal since I have had to change over with the good weather.. Surely they cant be switching off the analog signal until they have all the issues with the digital signal sorted??

Many of the reception problems in these atmospheric conditions appears to be down to inadequate aerial installations. What type of aerial are you using to receive Saorview?

The Cush wrote: »
    Many of the reception problems in these atmospheric conditions appears to be down to inadequate aerial installations. What type of aerial are you using to receive Saorview?

The picture went during the match. No Signal, which is unusual but I know I haven't installed the aerial correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

Surely they cant be switching off the analog signal until they have all the issues with the digital signal sorted??

In the case of Mt. Leinster, they will be switching Saorview to the current analogue frequencies to sort the Welsh co-channel issues.

• Advertisement

New Going Digital leaflet - Community Outreach Digital Switchover Programme and updated list of Digital Outreach "Champions"

This from an Irish Times article today about analogue and DTT reception figures in the latest Comreg Communications Market Quarterly Report.
    Four months ahead of analogue switch-off, the great television upgrade project appears to be under way, but progress is slow. As of May 2012, ComReg’s report notes that approximately 7 per cent of TV homes – and there are 1,577,000 of them in Ireland – have Irish digital terrestrial television (Saorview).

It is homes that don’t have any television reception other than a soon-to-be-defunct analogue signal for the four Irish terrestrial channels that are the main target of Government’s digital switchover campaign. These are the constituents who will be the ones writing to their TDs to convey their snowy screen rage if they are not made aware of the need to upgrade and persuaded to do so between now and October 24th.

Quoting estimates from a Nielsen television audience measurement survey conducted on behalf of ratings body TAM Ireland, the ComReg report states that there are 192,000 TV homes in Ireland that receive just an Irish analogue terrestrial reception, or 12 per cent of the total TV homes.

This number has fallen 17,000 from 209,000 over the past two years, a decline of 8 per cent. Perhaps expecting a faster rate of conversion, ComReg notes that this number “only” decreased 8 per cent. There is still 192,000 homes for the switchover campaign to reach, but some stickiness in the numbers is to be expected – there is a reason why this 12 per cent of TV homes never took up the services of cable and satellite providers and remained analogue-dependent.

A more convincing embrace of non-analogue services may also have been interrupted by a recession that has inevitably made consumers more wary of both hardware upgrades and the addition of new subscriptions to their quota of bills.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0615/1224317984462.html

The Comreg report here - http://www.comreg.ie/publications/quarterly_report_q1_2012.583.104124.p.html, from page 67.

Edit: http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg1262.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

How many 'freesat' with analogue terrestrial households are remaining? They will be impacted too. Or are they counted in the 192,000?

Also - the report seems to have been taken down from the Comreg site. Probably temporarily.

The Cush wrote: »
    This from an Irish Times article today about analogue and DTT reception figures in the latest Comreg Communications Market Quarterly Report.

The Comreg report here - http://www.comreg.ie/publications/quarterly_report_q1_2012.583.104124.p.html, from page 67.

ComReg Report link not working for me?
    It is estimated that approximately 79% of TV homes in Ireland received a digital TV service by May 2012. Approximately 7% of Irish TV homes had an Irish DTT service as of May 2012.

From comreg's press release http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/PR14062012.pdf

Does this mean that 21% of homes have analogue service or that 79% + 7% of homes have digital? leaving 12% with analogue TV.

Elmo wrote: »

Revised version now up - http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg1262_(R).pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Antenna

From comreg's press release http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/PR14062012.pdf

Does this mean that 21% of homes have analogue service or that 79% + 7% of homes have digital? leaving 12% with analogue TV.

it would mean 21% have an analogue service only (terrestrial or cable)

Saorview would be within the 79% as its a digital TV service.

How many homes are 'fully digital' is a guess as many of the 79% would still be using analogue on 2nd, 3rd TVs

How people with a mixture of analogue terrestial (for Irish channels) and FTA satellite of the UK channels are factored in - I am not sure ???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Comreg don't count Freesat unless you use a Sky Box as a Freesat box.

No FTA or Fressat Boxes need apply. Mind you they only counted Sky SUBS around 3 years ago the dopes and ignored out of contract, freesat, generic DVB-S and the entire Polish community with the Cyfra boxes. They were 'terrestrial' homes according to Comreg. :(

Carefully read the definitions.

The number of terrestrial ONLY viewers is falling as people get Freesat solutions, MOST but NOT ALL of which are out of contract Sky boxes.

209046.jpg

Their definition of 'Cable/Satellite' is a bit curious alight. Anyone have numbers for Cable and Sky subscribers in Ireland? I'm not sure if that is publicly reported info or not. I understand it's about 600,000 or thereabouts for Sky. I've no idea what it is for UPC etc.

Edit: Interestingly a footnote in the report states the following "Approximately 178,000 of those reported above as digital cable/sat and total cable/sat are UK DTT/FTA satellite"

I need to study this some more but the following statement in the IT article is not consistent with the table:-

"Quoting estimates from a Nielsen television audience measurement survey conducted on behalf of ratings body TAM Ireland, the ComReg report states that there are 192,000 TV homes in Ireland that receive just an Irish analogue terrestrial reception, or 12 per cent of the total TV homes."

According to the table in the report, the 192,000 is the number of homes which get Irish Terrestrial channels only - either via Analogue OR Saorview. In other word it counts homes with Saorview also.

SalteeDog wrote: »
    According to the table in the report, the 192,000 is the number of homes which get Irish Terrestrial channels only - either via Analogue OR Saorview. In other word it counts homes with Saorview also.

On the next page they have a graph which shows

Aerial = 38% which makes no sense are these second TVs?
    Cable/Satellite = 69%
    Other Satellite = 12%
    Irish DTT = 7%
    With less then 2% each for FreeView, IPTV and other Cable providers.

• Advertisement

Yes - just been looking at that. Households with multiple TVs/Reception methods will appear multiple times.

Taking those percentages against the total no. of TV households (1,577,000) gives us the following for numbers of households

Reception Method % Households(000)
    Aerial 38% 599
    Irish DTT 7% 110
    Cable/Sat 69% 1088
    Other Sat 12% 189

So assuming each household with a Saorview box/TV also has at least one TV still picking up analogue Irish TV (an over-estimate) gives us the following interesting statistic.

More than 489,000 (599-110) Irish households will have at least one TV that will fail to pick up any Irish channels after switchover unless they attach it to SKY, UPC or to a Saorview receiver or indeed to replace the TV with a Saoview approved model.

Also 78.6% or 1,239,000 households have some sort of Digital TV.
    1,211,000 of those have digital cable or satellite - leaving 28,000 with DTT only.
    There are currently a total of 295,000 homes being terrestrial (analogue or DTT) only.
    Hence the number of Terrestrial Analogue Only households is 266,000.
    That's the real number who will have a major issue for October.

Open to correction here if there's a flaw in my analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I didn't know there was a thread on this regarding the Analogue switch-off. I did create another thread by mistake. I should have my questions answered in this one instead.

Anyway,

I have switched over to Saorview in March using a STB on 1 of my TV's at home in my kitchen. I had UK terrestrial channels on an old cablelink terrestrial box just behind the tv. My family used to pay for the uk channels including Sky 1 and Sky News up to 2008 and then stopped when the recession kicked in October 2008.

I am only receiving the Saorview channels from the Three Rock Transmitter.

I just would like to know would be able to decode the channels through a Saorview approved TV or will they switched off altogether?

I also have plans in the autumn to have a rooftop aerial with reception being split into two rooms, a 19'' Saorview approved TV and a Freeview HD STB to be added in for the UK channels.

Should I continue with the above plans or not given that I have Irish channels only atm?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

Saorview from Three Rock will not be switched off.
    I also have plans in the autumn to have a rooftop aerial with reception being split into two rooms, a 19'' Saorview approved TV and a Freeview HD STB to be added in for the UK channels.
    Are you sure you will be able to get the Freeview HD signal where you are?
    Or do you mean Freesat HD (Satellite)?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

I had UK terrestrial channels on an old cablelink terrestrial box just behind the tv. My family used to pay for the uk channels including Sky 1 and Sky News up to 2008 and then stopped when the recession kicked in October 2008.

The UK channels you had were carried on a closed cable system. 'Terrestrial channels' are commonly understood to be those broadcast (as opposed to controlled access on a cable system) from ground based masts as opposed to satellites.

If you want free UK channels in Dublin, get yourself a Freesat setup.

@Dublinman1990 if you were receiving analogue cable via a cablelink box and that service has yet to be removed by UPC from your house then you should still be able to receive those 15 or so channels on your TV using the built in Analogue tuner as before.

Am I right to say if you are in a spillover area you will be able to tune in UK DTT with a Saorview box (bar UK HD channels)?

@Dublinman1990 if you were receiving analogue cable via a cablelink box and that service has yet to be removed by UPC from your house then you should still be able to receive those 15 or so channels on your TV using the built in Analogue tuner as before.

Am I right to say if you are in a spillover area you will be able to tune in UK DTT with a Saorview box (bar UK HD channels)?

I am currently using a Saorview Set Top Box atm. Therefore, I am not using a Saorview approved TV. What you are saying is that I should get the Saorview approved TV or use the analouge tuner inside the box.

I did an automatic channel scan on the Saorview box, it had only given me the Irish Channels.

Will it be removed by any date before 24th October or will it continue as normal?

Do I still have to pay for the UK DTT channels from UPC to continue getting them or are they free?

Will it be removed by any date before 24th October or will it continue as normal?

Will what be removed? Saorview? Why would that happen?

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    Will what be removed? Saorview? Why would that happen?

I am talking about the UK Channels not Saorview.

• Advertisement

If you don't have them, they can't be removed. Hook the old Cablelink feed to your tv's aerial input & scan for analogue channels.

Advertisement