Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Series link - any boxes support it yet?

Options
  • 18-04-2012 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,890 ✭✭✭✭
    M

I'm looking for a good pvr box for saorview channels.

Do any Saorview boxes either approved or otherwise support series link?

Also would a Humax Freeview HD box support the full Saorview epg?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭John mac

Not yet, afaik Saorview haven't implimented it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭zg3409

Yes, as far as I understand RTENL are not sending the required information, YET.
    It is in the pipeline though.

Also there are no true dual tuner Saorview approved PVR boxes available yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

They are not implementing it till there is a Saorview PVR.
    Single Tuner boxes or TVs with external USB may have "a recording feature" but are not "true" PVRs. A true PVR has internal HDD and dual Terrestrial tuners.

If it's not approved it's not a Saorview box. Most "Freeview+ HD" true PVRs (not all) will work on Saorview. None are 100% compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

If you like a technical challenge and your other half is the patient sort then you can effectively do this using a linux box with twin DVB-T tuners installed.
    Warning - It is in no way 'plug and play' and whilst it can pickup Saorview transmissions it will not be Saorview approved (so you may not get current or future Saorview functionality ..teletext etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,521 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I was browsing the Samsung UK recently and I see they have 2 new PVRs listed, a Smart HD 1TB STB-E7900M and a Smart HD 500GB STB-E7500M.

The spec looks very good including support for VBI teletext and DVB/teletext subtitles.

Samsung were one of the first manufacturers to supply Saorview approved iDTVs, I wonder if they will be one of the first to supply Saorview approved PVRs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Newryrep

Also would a Humax Freeview HD box support the full Saorview epg?

For what its worth

I been advised by a retailer in Newry (where I bought my TV a few years ago) that what I want ie a pvr that will record Freeview and Saorview is due out immentently. A Toshiba. he is pretty confident that it will definetly be out before the euros, (should of been out a few weeks ago)

Now I dont particularily give a monkeys about series link all I want is to be able to record a Saorview/Freeview channel like I can currently do with the terestrial channels. He assures me that will be the case

• Registered Users Posts: 38 lkdsl

Humax HDR - FoxT2 will support series link. They must be testing series link because the option to record the series appeared on one of my wife's programmes last week when she was doing her weekly recording schedule. The programme recorded successfully, the pvr put the various recordings into a folder, and shows that it is set to record the series.

BTW, have been using the Humax for about a year with no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Someone might know better than me, but I thought the method for providing Series Link data was going to be different for Saorview (NorDig) compared to Freeview (D-Book), or has that been ironed out? Because I know the Series Link for Freeview (HD) + is not part of the original DVB specification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

lawhec wrote: »
    Someone might know better than me, but I thought the method for providing Series Link data was going to be different for Saorview (NorDig) compared to Freeview (D-Book), or has that been ironed out? Because I know the Series Link for Freeview (HD) + is not part of the original DVB specification.
    I'd imagine given the mandate to provide Rte in northern Ireland in some cases via Roi transmitter overspill will mean some sort of compromise in the spec used for series link so as to be compatible with both systems?
    That could explain the delay?
    Such a move would seem the most sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭B bopp

blackius wrote: »
    Such a move would seem the most sensible.

sensible and RTENL in the same context.... surely no

• Advertisement

I posted this previously
    NorDig PVR specification is based on broadcast-only services (distribution of metadata via DVB-SI),independent of video and audio formats , independent of API, Conditional Access and DRM systems and capable of operating in free-to-air and Pay TV modes.

NorDig PVR specification follows as closely as possible the DTG specification (latest version D-Book 6.2.1) for the UK market in order to encourage market standards harmonization and facilitate the expansion of the standard PVRs in Scandinavia. Both NorDig and DTG specifications are based on DVB standards, including a subset of the well-established TV-Anytime metadata standard, which has been in service in the UK for years.

http://www.nordig.org/pdf/NorDig_PVR_metadata_whitepaper_ver_1.0.pdf

As lkdsl posted above they may be testing series-link already and appears to be working ok although we'd want confirmation from others with PVRs (Digifriendly if you're reading this can you check it out on your Sony PVR).

Actually I have a sagemcom freeview HD pvr.Haven't used it in a while.
    I will check and post back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Thanks Cush. I'd give it a go on my Philips Freeview HD+ receiver but it refuses to load the 7 day EPG for Saorview channels so a lost chance there. :(

Thanks Cush. I'd give it a go on my Philips Freeview HD+ receiver but it refuses to load the 7 day EPG for Saorview channels so a lost chance there. :(
    I just tried it there on the sagemcom on several programme's and there's no series link.
    It does have the 7 day guide.

lkdsl wrote: »
    Humax HDR - FoxT2 will support series link. They must be testing series link because the option to record the series appeared on one of my wife's programmes last week when she was doing her weekly recording schedule. The programme recorded successfully, the pvr put the various recordings into a folder, and shows that it is set to record the series.
    @lkdsl

Can you confirm which programme(s) have series link?

Just to clarify - the option to record a series seems only to have been active for a short period at the end of last week (probably Saturday or Sunday) and my wife just happened to be setting her recordings at the time. But the series link that was available does work with a Humax pvr, whatever system they were using.

The programme involved was The Voice of Ireland which broadcast last Sunday (two different programmes). Both programmes recorded; the recordings were placed in a folder; the recording schedule still shows the programme with the series link icon.
    This is the first and, so far, only time that series link has been available when we tried to record.

I tried obvious ones that should have series link like eastenders, fair city and neighbours.
    I'll try more this evening to see if there's any joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Donegal_TDI

lkdsl wrote: »

BTW, have been using the Humax for about a year with no problems.

As an owner of the same yoke,
    I concur with all the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mgc102

Well it seems they are rolling it out in parts. I can confirm that the humax t2 HDr-Fox can read the full saorview EPG. From what I can see not all programs carrying the data yet But shows on RTE junior seming to carry series link data.Eg Lazy Town (Mon 23rd 17:50 Series CRID : /39733945 and program CRID : /5950037. Other series (e.g Emmerdale on TV3) no SERIES CRID or PROG CRID yet.

However when the show is saved to disc the File information (program synopsis) is blank. Apparantly humax t2 firmware does not recognise the characterset used by RTENL.

Series link seems to be implemented on RTE1 +1 as well. And the programme info is blank when recorded on Humax HDR Fox T2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

SalteeDog wrote: »
    If you like a technical challenge and your other half is the patient sort then you can effectively do this using a linux box with twin DVB-T tuners installed.
    Warning - It is in no way 'plug and play' and whilst it can pickup Saorview transmissions it will not be Saorview approved (so you may not get current or future Saorview functionality ..teletext etc.)

While there is only one MUX active, only one receiver is required ..... if you multicast the contents of the existing mux.
    Check out DVBlast and MumuDVB ......

Technical challenge back at ye :D

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

Would series link work on a one tuner 'PVR ready' box that uses an external USB or would this vary from model to model?

Depends if the firmware has enabled it.
    RTE's view is that "recording" via USB on a single tuner box isn't a PVR, but an extra recording feature not tested as part of Saorview certification.

Only Dual tuner + internal HDD are "true" PVRs and only those boxes have the recording features tested as part of Saorview certification.

Except as yet there is no Saorview PVR by RTE's defintion (which is a widely accepted one except by a few people here or over hypetastic marketing droids).
    Would series link work on a one tuner 'PVR ready' box that uses an external USB or would this vary from model to model?
    Yes it will vary by model. But all "True" PVRs with Saorview approval (if they ever exist) will 100% support series link.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Samples from the EIT data (EPG stream) on RTE 1+1

First is an entry for Nationwide due for transmission on next Monday, 30th April
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
      <Terrestrial__EUR__722000>
        <EventID Value="10500" Name="Nationwide">
          <StartTime String="30/04/2012 19:00:00"/>
          <Duration String="00:30:00"/>
          <RunningStatus Value="0" Name="undefined"/>
          <FreeCAMode Value="0" Name="not encrypted"/>
          <Descriptor HValue="0x4D" Name="Short Event">
            <DescriptorLength Value="18"/>
            <Language String="eng"/>
            <CharacterTable HValue="0x05" Name="Latin alphabet No. 5"/>
            <EventName String="Nationwide"/>
            <EventDescription String=""/>
          </Descriptor>
          <Descriptor HValue="0x54" Name="Content">
            <DescriptorLength Value="2"/>
            <ContentNibbles HValue="0x00" Name="Not defined"/>
            <UserByte HValue="0x00"/>
          </Descriptor>

<Descriptor HValue="0x76" Name="Content Identifier">
            <DescriptorLength Value="22"/>
            <CRIDType HValue="0x31" Name=" User Private">
              <CRIDLocation Value="0" Name="Carried explicitly within descriptor"/>
              <CRID String="/42698364"/>
            </CRIDType>
            <CRIDType HValue="0x32" Name=" User Private">
              <CRID String="/30280512"/>
            </CRIDType>
          </Descriptor>

<Descriptor HValue="0x4E" Name="Extended Event">
            <DescriptorLength Value="51"/>
            <DescriptorNumber Value="0"/>
            <LastDescriptorNumber Value="0"/>
            <Language String="eng"/>
            <Text String="Reports from around the country. (Subtitles)"/>
          </Descriptor>
        </EventID>
      </Terrestrial__EUR__722000>

Next a snip from the entry for Wednesday, 2nd May
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
      <Terrestrial__EUR__722000>
        <EventID Value="10539" Name="Nationwide">
          <StartTime String="02/05/2012 19:00:00"/>
          <Duration String="00:30:00"/>
          <RunningStatus Value="0" Name="undefined"/>
          <FreeCAMode Value="0" Name="not encrypted"/>
          <Descriptor HValue="0x4D" Name="Short Event">
            <DescriptorLength Value="18"/>
            <Language String="eng"/>
            <EventName String="Nationwide"/>
            <EventDescription String=""/>
          </Descriptor>
          <Descriptor HValue="0x54" Name="Content">
            <DescriptorLength Value="2"/>
            <ContentNibbles HValue="0x00" Name="Not defined"/>
            <UserByte HValue="0x00"/>
          </Descriptor>

<Descriptor HValue="0x76" Name="Content Identifier">
            <DescriptorLength Value="22"/>
            <CRIDType HValue="0x31" Name=" User Private">
              <CRID String="/42698379"/>
            </CRIDType>
            <CRIDType HValue="0x32" Name=" User Private">
              <CRID String="/30280512"/>
            </CRIDType>
          </Descriptor>

<Descriptor HValue="0x4E" Name="Extended Event">
            <DescriptorLength Value="51"/>
            <DescriptorNumber Value="0"/>
            <LastDescriptorNumber Value="0"/>
            <Language String="eng"/>
            <Text String="Reports from around the country. (Subtitles)"/>
          </Descriptor>
        </EventID>
      </Terrestrial__EUR__722000>

In both cases I have inserted spaces before and after the relevant section which is carrying the Series Link information. This is the CRID and there are two types in use:

Type 1 (0x31) is the programme CRID and this is different for each episode. In this case the episodes are marked /42698364 and /42698379

Type 2 (0x32) is the series CRID and each episode carries the same value /30280512

Note that the start times are in UTC, not local time. The local time adjustment offset value is carried in a separate table.

The PVR will/should examine the series CRID information and reserve the recording for that time. The programme CRID information is checked also to ensure that repeats of the programme already recorded are not recorded again. It's obviously up to the broadcast management systems to ensure that the CRIDs are consistent and don't change mid-way between series episodes.

I see Powercity have an LG HR600 Blu-ray player/HDD recorder combi on their website now, Freeview+HD spec, not Saorview approved but listed as Irish Digital Tv Ready.

http://www.powercity.ie/index.php?action=DVD-Harddisk+Recorder&par=10-17&cat=DVD-Harddisk+Recorder+++++++++&action=brandstory
    http://www.lg.com/uk/tv-audio-video/video/LG-blu-ray-player-HR600.jsp

LG "xxLD450" type ready (excellent on Saorview, Freeview only in UK) or "xxLD490" style (Rotten on Saorview even though Freeview HD in UK).

Panasonic was first with a Bluray player/recorder HDD PVR for Freesat HD and later Freeview HD. At the time too expensive and I'd not touch Panasonic with a barge pole.

Just to confirm,the sagemcom freeview hd pvr has no series link on saorview on any programme.
    I checked it today and yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

watty wrote: »
    LG "xxLD450" type ready (excellent on Saorview, Freeview only in UK) or "xxLD490" style (Rotten on Saorview even though Freeview HD in UK).

Panasonic was first with a Bluray player/recorder HDD PVR for Freesat HD and later Freeview HD. At the time too expensive and I'd not touch Panasonic with a barge pole.

I'm interested in why you don't like Panasonic. I have quite a bit of Panasonic gear, and I have never had any problems and generally find their stuff, to be top quality, if a little overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Apogee

fat-tony wrote: »
    Samples from the EIT data (EPG stream) on RTE 1+1

Tony - what software are you using to interrogate the EIT data? Would be interesting to see if it's replicated on Saorsat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Managed to get my Sony PlayTv working with Windows Media Center on a cheap Dell laptop today with full 7 day EPG, Red button/digital Aertel and recording. I was offered series link on a couple of programmes I set to record (some kids programme on RTE2 that was on in 5 minutes and Eastenders on RTE 1 I think). When I selected series link my scheduled recordings where then populated with subsequent editions of the program.

Advertisement