Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Analogue Switchoff - Public Awareness & Help Scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The Cush wrote: »

1.2 million what a waste of money. Well done to McConnells and Target for winning such a lucrative award.

Also no mention of price or firm in the top link that I can see. <<<< sorry scroll down, in the second tab its all there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Dáil question last week on assistance for old age pensioners.

Reading his answer he/Dept obviously forgot they launched the information campaign almost 3 weeks before
    246. Deputy Brendan Griffin asked the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources if Saorview be provided to old age pensioners free of charge. [32027/11]

Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources (Deputy Pat Rabbitte): SAORVIEW is the replacement digital television network for the current analogue network which is near obsolescence. Both SAORVIEW and the current analogue network are free to air. To upgrade to Saorview, TV households will need to purchase a set top box to connect to their existing TV or a new Saorview digital TV. In some cases, depending on the type of aerial and the orientation and age of the aerial, TV households may also need a new aerial. To overcome the challenges that digital switchover brings, I recognise that we must assist people with information and practical assistance to ensure that no one is left behind as Ireland goes digital. I have undertaken to deliver a substantial information campaign providing households with information on the digital switchover and on their options for going digital. This information campaign will be starting this autumn and I will be announcing details in the coming weeks. In conjunction with this, my Department is working to address the particular information and assistance needs of vulnerable households as they prepare to go digital. In this context, the expertise and local knowledge of the many voluntary and charity organisations around the country could be of critical importance in ensuring the success of the switchover process. I have asked my Department to ensure that, to the greatest possible extent, these organisations play a major part in our information and assistance campaign.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2011/11/02/00188.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Cut and paste job from earlier answer in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources (Deputy Pat Rabbitte): SAORVIEW is the replacement digital television network for the current analogue network which is near obsolescence. Both SAORVIEW and the current analogue network are free to air. To upgrade to Saorview, TV households will need to purchase a set top box to connect to their existing TV or a new Saorview digital TV. In some cases, depending on the type of aerial and the orientation and age of the aerial, TV households may also need a new aerial. To overcome the challenges that digital switchover brings, I recognise that we must assist people with information and practical assistance to ensure that no one is left behind as Ireland goes digital. I have undertaken to deliver a substantial information campaign providing households with information on the digital switchover and on their options for going digital. This information campaign will be starting this autumn and I will be announcing details in the coming weeks. In conjunction with this, my Department is working to address the particular information and assistance needs of vulnerable households as they prepare to go digital. In this context, the expertise and local knowledge of the many voluntary and charity organisations around the country could be of critical importance in ensuring the success of the switchover process. I have asked my Department to ensure that, to the greatest possible extent, these organisations play a major part in our information and assistance campaign.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2011/11/02/00188.asp

AKA No

And if he actually said that all in the Dail a way to waste about 2 minutes

Dept of Communications press release yesterday for Electrical Traders, Manufacturers, Retailers and Distributors to draw attention to the change in the TV standards used in Ireland and the analogue switchoff in 11 months. Adverts are to be published in the press.

Press Release - http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Press+Releases/Change+to+TV+Standard+in+Ireland.htm
    Change to TV Standard in Ireland

Dublin 10 November 2011

Change to TV Standard in Ireland

The Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources today draws the attention of manufacturers, retailers and distributors to the change in the TV standards used in Ireland.

The change to Irelands TV standard results from the move from a national analogue television network to a digital television network. The current analogue TV standard will cease to be used by broadcasters in Ireland after analogue switch off on the 24th October 2012. A new digital standard has been developed which works with the new digital free to air network, SAORVIEW.

Minister for Communications, Pat Rabbitte has asked retailers to be mindful of this important change in Irish broadcasting standards and to ensure the availability of a wide range of SAORVIEW approved TV equipment well in advance of the 2012 deadline. “We have just over 11 months until the old analogue TV network is switched off. I would ask retailers to ensure that the TVs and other TV receivers they are selling are compatible with the digital standard being used in Ireland. Only televisions meeting this standard are guaranteed to provide free to air access to the national digital television network”, said the Minister. The Minister also requested that retailers would inform their customers of the new standard so that they have all the necessary information when purchasing their TV equipment.

In order to receive SAORVIEW, it is not always necessary to buy a new television. Televisions bought from the mid 1990s or later should be capable of being upgraded to SAORVIEW using a SAORVIEW approved set top box. For further information please visit http://www.saorview.ie/

As with the current TV standard, SAORVIEW approved TV sets will work with a set top box being used to access pay TV services.

Minister Rabbitte also recommended that consumers familiarise themselves with the questions to ask when buying a new digital television or a set top box . “I would urge all consumers to become aware of this change in standard and remember to ask your retailer some important questions when buying a new television set, – Will this television show the new Irish digital TV service, SAORVIEW?, Is this TV SAORVIEW approved? Consumers should look out for the SAORVIEW approved logo on TV sets and set top boxes as this means that the TV has undergone stringent tests to ensure that it will work to receive SAORVIEW. Further consumer related guidance is available on the www.goingdigital.ie website” concluded the Minister.

Ends

Notes to Editors:

Information on the new specification is available from RTÉ Networks Limited at http://www.rtenl.ie/
    RTÉ has also developed a formal testing procedure to prove compliance to the DTT receiver specification and the Saorview approved logo can be displayed by all receivers passing the SAORVIEW testing process. Further information on this process is available from RTÉ Networks Limited at http://www.rtenl.ie/
    Copy of advertisement can be found here
    Information on digital switchover is available on 1890 940 980 or http://www.goingdigital.ie/

Text of advertisement
    Notice for Attention of

Electrical Traders

Manufacturers, Retailers and Distributors

Notification of Change to TV Standards in Ireland

The analogue TV transmission PAL I standard used to provide free to air reception of the national Irish TV channels RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 in the VHF and UHF bands (470-862MHz) will cease to be the Irish national TV standard from 24th October 2012 when the national analogue terrestrial TV network is switched off and replaced by the new Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT) network.

DTT in Ireland uses the DVB-T transmission standard with MPEG4 Video Compression and MHEG5 version 1.06 for digital teletext and operates in the UHF band from 470-790MHz.

The electrical industry is advised that during the transition period retailers should ensure that the TV’s they sell have both analogue and digital tuners compatible with both national TV terrestrial networks – analogue and digital.

After the switch off of the analogue TV network in 24th October 2012, all TV receivers on sale in Ireland should comply with the DTT Receiver Specification in order to provide access to the national DTT TV network. Information on the new specification is available from RTÉ Networks Limited at www.rtenl.ie.

Ireland’s national free to air DTT network is called SAORVIEW and was launched nationally by RTÉ on 26th May 2011. See RTE’s SAORVIEW website www.saorview.ie for further details.

As with the current TV standard, SAORVIEW approved TV sets will work in conjunction with a set top box to receive digital pay TV services such as those provided by Sky and UPC.

RTÉ has also developed a formal testing procedure to prove compliance to the DTT receiver specification and the SAORVIEW approved logo which can be displayed by all receivers passing the SAORVIEW testing process. Further information on this process is available from RTÉ Networks Limited at www.rtenl.ie.

Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources
    Commission for Communications Regulation (ComReg)
    Broadcasting Authority of Ireland
    RTÉ
    TG4
    TV3

http://www.goingdigital.ie/NR/rdonlyres/5C454A3E-1927-489F-87BC-74F284B98B39/0/ChangetoTVspecadvert.pdf

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/new-media/item/24440-public-needs-to-be-aware-of
    http://www.mayotoday.ie/index.php/browse-mayo-news-by-category/digital-life/item/3807-buying-a-new-tv-make-sure-it-is-saorview-approved.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Macy0161

SPDUB wrote: »
    AKA No

And if he actually said that all in the Dail a way to waste about 2 minutes
    It was a written answer.

On the one hand I'd be peed off with a copy and paste answer if I lived in an area with poor coverage, on the other is it really right that a Departments time gets clogged up with questions about every fringe reception townland? Every specific area question will get the same answer I'd say, at least until saorsat is functioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

However at least unlike UK the ASO is not a painful long drawn out affair with many retunings.

The fact is that already Digital coverage is better than Analogue, though some people that do get Analogue don't and won't get DTT. Such as Carlingford. Of course those that lose Terrestrial TV, while a smaller number than the many extra that get Digital Terrestrial and the very many getting much much better quality will be easier to hear complaining.

Saorsat with economically priced LNBFs will change that.

Also in UK very many people needed aerial changes or Wideband aerials compared to the proportion of population here.

It would be nice to have figures for DTT power. All we know is that coverage of Holywell hill and Clermont Cairn will improve after October 2012 as these are the only ones not on full power. ( http://maps.techtir.com/dtt-north-east.htm and http://maps.techtir.com/dtt-donegal.htm )
    After October 2012 they already said the Interference issues on Mt Leinster will be solved. (Anyone getting an aerial today for Mt Leinster should get a Wideband aerial, or a Group A (which will work better on Group B than a Group B works on Group A).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

watty wrote: »
    After October 2012 they already said the Interference issues on Mt Leinster will be solved. (Anyone getting an aerial today for Mt Leinster should get a Wideband aerial, or a Group A (which will work better on Group B than a Group B works on Group A).

How? By cranking up the power until it totally wipes out Presely (even in Wales) or is a frequency change on the way?

That would increase the current interference in Wales. Which would not go down well with Ofcom.

I was listening to the 7 a.m. Radio 1 news before Morning Ireland on Fri morning and heard a piece on ASO next Oct with a report from Fintan Duffy. The unusual thing was there was nothing new in the piece about ASO and could have been the same story from the morning the ASO date was announced. The report wasn't carried on any other news programme that morning (or that day that I heard) or on Morning Ireland or in the newspapers.

I wonder if they're including ASO information in certain news programmes to increase awareness?

http://www.rte.ie/news/morningireland/player.html?20111209,3136250,3136250,flash,257 (starts at 5:15 mins)

• Advertisement

It was notable for being out of context. It almost sounded like someone had slipped an extra sheet in to his pile of news stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Saorview: Brian

How? By cranking up the power until it totally wipes out Presely (even in Wales) or is a frequency change on the way?

Mt. Leinster will move from channel 45 to channel 23.

Regards,

SAORVIEW Brian.

Press release from the Dept of Communications on the DSO Outreach programme
    MINISTER RABBITTE ANNOUNCES COMMUNITY OUTREACH DIGITAL SWITCHOVER PROGRAMME

Minister for Communications, Energy & Natural Resources, Pat Rabbitte T.D. today announced that he has signed an agreement with national voluntary organisation, the Wheel, to develop and operate a nationwide community outreach digital switchover programme (Outreach Programme).

Dublin, 10th January 2012

The Wheel in conjunction with voluntary and community organisations throughout the country will roll out a countrywide Outreach Programme in April 2012 which will provide additional assistance and advice at community level to those who may find the move to digital TV difficult. The aim of the Outreach Programme is to ensure that everybody is made aware of the switchover and that no TV viewers are left without a TV service once the national analogue TV service switches off on October 24th 2012.

Minister Rabbitte said, “When we launched our information and awareness campaign in October, I indicated that I would also put a national community programme in place to help people understand the move to digital TV, how this will affect them and to ensure that there is advise and assistance available to guide them to make the decision that best suit their needs. I am delighted therefore to work with the Wheel, Irish Rural Link and the many other voluntary and community sector organizations who have already indicated their willingness to participate in this programme. It is really encouraging to see the level of support offered by these organizations during this period. ”

Anyone who currently relies on an aerial to watch TV - approximately 250,000 households across Ireland - will need to take action before 24th October 2012 to retain access to TV services. Guidance on the Digital Switchover is currently available at www.goingdigital.ie, through LoCall 1890 940 980 (English language) and 1890 940 970 (Irish language) and through information booklets which are available in post offices and Citizen Information Centres throughout the country. The new Outreach Programme will work to supplement this guidance by providing additional information and advice at community level.

Between now and April 2012 the Wheel and its National Advisory Group comprising members of Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources, The Wheel, Irish Rural Link, Age Action Ireland, GAA Social Initiative, Disability Federation of Ireland, Society of St. Vincent De Paul, Irish Farmers Association, ICMSA, Rural Transport Initiative and the National Network of Community Services projects, will be busy ensuring that adequate personnel with the information and knowledge to assist with digital switchover are in place in every county in Ireland.

The Minister concluded “The programme is about reaching out to our neighbours within the community to ensure that they have the assistance and information they need to move to digital TV. My primary aim in establishing the Outreach Programme is to ensure that no one gets left behind after the switchover”.

In the next few weeks information on the programme will be advertised and sent to voluntary and community organisations throughout the country setting out how they can get involved.

ENDS.

Notes to Editors

- Oct 24th 2012 is the official date of the completion of Digital Switchover in Ireland
    - Information on digital switchover is available on 1890 940 980 or http://www.goingdigital.ie
    - Millward Brown Lansdowne Research (Millward Brown Lansdowne Digital Switchover Benchmark Study, November 2011) showed that 87% of Irish people were aware of the Digital Switchover
    - The Wheel is a national representative and support body for community, voluntary and charity organisations.

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Press+Releases/MINISTER+RABBITTE+ANNOUNCES+COMMUNITY+OUTREACH+DIGITAL+SWITCHOVER+PROGRAMME.htm

http://www.wheel.ie/news/new-digital-switchover-programme-seeking-applications
    http://www.irishrurallink.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=455&Itemid=1

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/25277-no-one-gets-left-behind/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Anyone who currently relies on an aerial to watch TV - approximately 250,000 households across Ireland - will need to take action before 24th October 2012 to retain access to TV services.

No they won't if they have a feckin UHF aerial and Analogue TV3 today .....well maybe they will on Mt Leinster with all the shenanigans. but generally NO!! :( They buy a box and plug it in. That is all.

As long as these STUPID mixed messages keep coming out of DCENR and RTE then fraudsters will wander the country preying on the gullible.

Thanks a lot Rabbitte. :( BTW what is your equally stupid 'next generation' broadband 'task force' up to...they and you should have reported in 2011.!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    No they won't if they have a feckin UHF aerial and Analogue TV3 today .....well maybe they will on Mt Leinster with all the shenanigans. but generally NO!! :( They buy a box and plug it in. That is all.

Spending €50 or more on a box and installing it may be easy for you, but it is 'taking action' which many people will need help with.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I receive my RTE TV from an aerial and currently watch Saorview so I will not be taking action.

Why do they not put a marker on the transmitted picture to identify its source so people can know what action is needed.

There are five categories as I see it.
    1. People who pay to receive RTE from a payTV operator - NO ACTION.
    2. People who currently receive Saorview - NO ACTION.
    3. People who receive analogue RTE from an upgraded mast - STB required or iDTV.
    4. People who receive analogue RTE from a mast that will not be upgraded - New aerial or reposition aerial and STB or iDTV.
    5. People who fall into 4 above but are not able to receive Saorview as they are outside coverage - WAIT FOR SAORSAT or pay SKY, or do without.

No cats or dogs were used in writing this. No retired broadcaster was taken out of retirement to work this out (even though he is still well paid by RTE). It cost the Government nothing to work this out, and it is just possible they could have worked it out for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

It's not that simple, some people will have Sky on one TV and rely on an aerial for a second TV.

MarkK wrote: »
    It's not that simple, some people will have Sky on one TV and rely on an aerial for a second TV.
    But they will still see the message that this signal is closing.

They begin their outreach programme
    sometime in April, suppose its better than saying sometime in spring.

Oh and as Watty said of course some kind of ticker will be used towards the end of the campaign.

I was also going to reply about people getting FTA Satellite which wasn't mentioned but both they and extra TVs are covered under points 3 and 4.

Elmo wrote: »

Oh and as Watty said of course some kind of ticker will be used towards the end of the campaign.

I thought I said SHOULD or COULD be used. I have no information on that. It's possible I left out a word.

• Advertisement

I thought I said SHOULD or COULD be used. I have no information on that. It's possible I left out a word.

I may have read it as WOULD. Regardless info I have found suggests it will happen at some stage.

Also if you are interested in becoming a "Digital Outreach Champion" you can sign up with The Wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

I receive my RTE TV from an aerial and currently watch Saorview so I will not be taking action.

Why do they not put a marker on the transmitted picture to identify its source so people can know what action is needed.

There are five categories as I see it.
    2. People who currently receive Saorview - NO ACTION.
    3. People who receive analogue RTE from an upgraded mast - STB required or iDTV.
    4. People who receive analogue RTE from a mast that will not be upgraded - New aerial or reposition aerial and STB or iDTV.
    5. People who fall into 4 above but are not able to receive Saorview as they are outside coverage - WAIT FOR SAORSAT or pay SKY, or do without.

No cats or dogs were used in writing this. No retired broadcaster was taken out of retirement to work this out (even though he is still well paid by RTE). It cost the Government nothing to work this out, and it is just possible they could have worked it out for themselves.

Spot on.

The key, as you suggest, is identifying those in categories 4 or 5. They should be in the minority.

It's also worth pointing out that some people in category 4 may no longer require an outside aerial, even if they need one now. It's also really easy, and very cheap, to try an indoor aerial. Nothing whatsoever lost in trying. :)

Elmo wrote: »
    Also if you are interested in becoming a "Digital Outreach Champion" you can sign up with The Wheel.

I'm not "networked" in the Local Community. I'm doing my bit on the Internet already

www.saortv.info since sometime in 2010? Peaked in May 2011 of course with 10,285 unique visitors that month. Running on average about 8,300 unique visitors a month now.

www.techtir.ie isn't just about TV (average about 24,500 unique visitors a month), but the main Saorview article reached 35,000 unique views today (top article) and the 7th most popular article is about Saorsat Coverage (over 6,000 unique visits), authored 2010-12-17 09:20:35 +0000, so just over 1 year old.

I have 7 other websites I produce content for ( 4 are mine and I'm staff on the other 3).
    In addition I maintain four other websites, but no content.

There are maybe 3 other sites I comment/post on regularly that I have no connection with other than an ordinary reader. Then a bunch of sites I post on very irregularly.

I have also five Social Networking accounts that I almost never post on.

I think I'm doing enough "Networking" :) I even use my real name on 8 websites. Because I think I'm not going to argue with Trolls and only make normal excusable mistakes.

Not every poster with my nickname or my real name is actually me though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, obviously, I was talking about each TV in a house.

I cannot understand why they had the two cartoon characters telling us nothing about Saorview. Or why Gaybo was dragged out to tell us that the analogue signal was going to be turned off. A simple fact based message would have worked better, particularly if it was combined with on-screen transmitter message as per my post. Sometimes, the route one approach is more effective.

They are not selling anything, and there is nothing to be gained by branding. The service is free, and it makes no difference to RTE how you get the signal. Perhaps the message will get through, but simply telling people -' It turns off next Wednesday' woud get a better response - a short burst of national panic.

Yes, there is a belief in some at RTE that 1 year is about right for DSO here. That the multiple years of UK would have been a disaster.

Yes, there is a belief in some at RTE that 1 year is about right for DSO here. That the multiple years of UK would have been a disaster.

How long did we get to go kmph instead of mph on the roads? 3 months if I remember - with no lead in at all. They were still selling MPH cars six months after the changeover.

I would have thought that 31st Dec 2011, 50 years after turn on would be a good time for ASO. Maybe move it a few weeks either way because of the RTE party. The digital signal has been operational since Oct 2010, and was launched officially on May 26th 2011. At that point, one mux was operational at all sites with two muxes at most of them.

How long do you need?

Just more delay which equates to disaster in my world.

It had to co-ordinate with N.I.

So had to be Autumn 2012, but before November as UK people don't do ASO generally Nov, Dec and Jan.

Also "Re-tuning" was a huge problem in UK.

By having a single ASO of same date as N.I. it means a SINGLE retune rather than a possible 3 events.

Mt. Lienster changes Group (to existing Analogue group, so new UHF aerial not needed) and makes all Happy about Presli reception, in Ireland or Wales.

Holywell Hill and Clermont Cairn increase power and change channel, but in the same aerial groups as present. Nothing else in Republic changes.

Brougher Mt has incredible massive power increase and Divis significant increase.

All 24th October 2012.

I suspect that if the UK had had the resources to do all NI ASO before Olympics we would have had the DSO campaign start seriously last May and ASO this May.

There may even have been a hope of that. But the NI end wasn't possible.

It had to co-ordinate with N.I.

So had to be Autumn 2012, but before November as UK people don't do ASO generally Nov, Dec and Jan.

Why, we have the digital signals now, and we just turn off the analogue. No need for any co-ordination with NI. How does it effect them? Perhaps some sites on reduced power could be left with the analogue, but most could be turned off.

• Advertisement

I'm not "networked" in the Local Community. I'm doing my bit on the Internet already

Well if it makes you feel any better each organisation that has a Digital Champion gets 25,000.

In fairness we forget about a minority of people who have little contact with the outside world. Older and rural, though I expect it is even worse in urban areas for older people. Even if it just to let them get a visit from someone, I think it makes a difference. We prob need a campaign like this every year, purely on a good society level.

Advertisement