Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Analogue Switchoff - Public Awareness & Help Scheme

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It would help if RTE would run information items within their own programmes to put the basic information forward without the usual caveats that confuse people.

Old TVs that are not widescreen (either CRT or LED should be scrapped in my opinion, but the addition of a €30 box next year will prolong their lives for a few years. Newer sets should only require the same box, but a box that includes PVR would be a real benefit and cost approx €50 to €200 depending on the addition of the HDD and its cost.

Also, a combi box replacing Sky would save the subscription to sky and pay for itself within 6 months, depending on the subscription level.

Who are these people who come up with these costs for these mythical populations in rural Ireland? They are usually wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Newer sets should only require the same box, but a box that includes PVR would be a real benefit and cost approx €50 to €200 depending on the addition of the HDD and its cost

The thing is to distinguish between the necessary cost of getting the same service (basic box with scart cable) and the cost of taking full advantage of the new services. The changeover is only forcing the basic cost although most people will take advantage of the new service by buying a larger widescreen TV or a PVR. The newspapers will surely portray the full cost of a 3D 48" set as the cost of changeover.

It would be helpful if charities such as SVP or Age Concern were fully briefed with a regional element to the briefing (local transmitters, border etc)and their volunteers could then alleviate concern among old people etc and stop chancers selling junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

ardmacha wrote: »
    This is horsecrap. Most people in rural parts receive will not need a new aerial, unless they presently receive analogue on VHF. They will need a box, but I'd say basic boxes will not be more than €30 by mid next year and so that requires saving 50c/week until changeover.

The biggest threat to people's finance is misinformation which might lead them to buy gear that wasn't needed.
    5,000 households across Ireland is a very small proportion of total housing and that number seems a plausible figure taking into account how some families might be regarded as having no spare income for a €50 box (further price falls are speculation currently), the number of houses I've seen away from the Pale which have only have VHF aerials visible and the fact that less than 50 of the existing 180-odd analogue sites are being used for Saorview suggests there are a wide variety of people who will not immediately be able to watch Saorview for financial reasons. Many people using small deflectors or smaller transposers will hopefully need a relatively cheap aerial realignment. Otherwise it's a hypothetical Saorsat installation which will surely cost more than just a basic STB.

I do wish there was more mention of the DVB-T USB adapters which can be had for less than €15. Many people will have a laptop or computer even if they are low income currently (i.e. people recently made redundant etc) and it can be a very very cheap way to get Saorview. Such a device will also need to be covered by a TV license however.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Further confirmation today, in a Saorview press release, that October 2012 is the month ASO will take place, no precise date yet.
    Over 600,000 Irish households receive TV through an aerial on at least one television in their home and of these, over 300,000 households receive TV exclusively through an aerial. This type of TV reception (known as analogue terrestrial TV), will be switched off in October 2012 as part of an EU requirement to move to digital. Our research shows that 70% of analogue households are based in rural areas and that many people don’t understand that making the switch is necessary..

http://www.saorview.ie/news/saorview-at-2011-national-ploughing-championship/

Dáil questions this week for the Minister for Communications on an ASO assistance scheme for people who will require help to switchover to DTT.

In the reply he said details of the ASO information campaign will be announced in the coming weeks.
    Written Answers - Departmental Schemes
    Wednesday, 14 September 2011

486. Deputy Joanna Tuffy asked the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources his plans to introduce a waiver scheme for old aged pensioners, social welfare recipients and persons on low income to help with the costs of switching to SAORVIEW; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [23398/11]

505. Deputy Pearse Doherty asked the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources the supports that will be made available for citizens on very low incomes who may be unable to afford to install digital television services. [24058/11]

Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources (Deputy Pat Rabbitte): I propose to take Questions Nos. 486 and 505 together.

Ireland’s national digital switchover strategy provides for the closure of the RTÉNL analogue TV network at the end of 2012 and, through the resulting ‘digital dividend’, paves the way for the delivery of new and better mobile and broadband services which should assist new national economic growth. I am keenly aware of the challenges this initiative brings, in particular for Irish households which are reliant on the existing “free to air” analogue TV network.

In May of this year, I published a Report on TV Viewing Methods in Ireland, which was commissioned by my Department to assist with planning for Analogue Switch-Off (ASO). This report, which is available on my Department’s website, focuses on TV viewers who rely on the analogue terrestrial TV network and also provides useful information on the economic profile of TV households, their media preferences and preferences for receiving information about analogue switch off. The report is being used by my Department to inform the digital switchover programme.

This report is also useful in helping to estimate the number of TV households reliant on the aerial TV network backed up by other research such as the TAM establishment survey. From the research, we can estimate that there are approximately a quarter of a million households in Ireland reliant on the aerial network solely for television reception, and an estimated 100,000 of these households are classified as DE homes from a socio-economic perspective.

All households that rely solely on the existing “free to air” analogue TV network will need to upgrade to digital TV by the end of 2012 or they will lose access to television services. TV households can choose to upgrade to digital TV by moving to a pay-TV service or by upgrading to Saorview, Ireland’s national digital TV aerial network, which was launched by RTÉ on 26th May 2011.

To upgrade to Saorview, TV households will need to purchase either a set top box to connect to their existing TV or a new Saorview digital TV. In some cases, depending on the type of aerial and the orientation and age of the aerial, TV households may also need a new aerial. The number of TV households who may need a new aerial or aerial adjustment is estimated to be around 20,000 TV households.

Experience from other European countries indicates that the cost of set top boxes and other digital receivers reduces as the date for digital switchover approaches, and there is increased competition in the market. There is clear evidence that this is now happening in Ireland with affordable set top boxes that meet the Saorview standard now coming on the market, as well as a range of suitable digital televisions.

To overcome the challenges that digital switchover brings, I recognise that we must also assist people with information and practical assistance to ensure that no one is left behind as Ireland goes digital. I have undertaken to deliver a substantial information campaign providing households with information on the digital switchover and on their options for going digital. This information campaign will be starting this autumn and I will be announcing details in the coming weeks.

In conjunction with this, my Department is currently working to address the particular information and assistance needs of vulnerable households as they prepare to go digital. In this context, the expertise and local knowledge of the many voluntary and charity organisations around the country could be of critical importance in ensuring the success of the switchover process. I have asked my Department to ensure that, to the greatest possible extent, these organisations play a major part in our information and assistance campaign.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2011/09/14/00347.asp#N2

• Advertisement

Aertel p650 indicating ASO in Oct 2012.

ff9smf.jpg

@ glimmerman123

Your post appears to have disappeared. Thanks for the info.
    Looks like the big push to help people change over to digital is going to start in a few weeks time. http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Press+Releases/Target+McConnells+appointed+to+communicate+Digital+Switchover+Information+Campaign.htm .

Target McConnells awarded the contract for the Public Information and Awareness Services in Support of the Digital Switchover Programme in Ireland tender which was published last April.

The campaign will be called Going Digital and will have it own website http://www.goingdigital.gov.ie/. The New Zealand government also use the same brand/name "Going Digital" for its switchover campaign (http://www.goingdigital.co.nz/).

The Dept press release
    Target McConnells appointed to communicate Digital Switchover Information Campaign

Dublin 28 September 2011

Minister for Communications, Pat Rabbitte. T.D. today announced that his Department had selected a consortium led by Target McConnells to deliver a National Digital Switchover Information Campaign. The extensive nationwide campaign is designed to inform and educate TV Viewers about their digital switchover choices. The campaign will include TV, radio and print media.

The Minister said, “Television plays a central role in all our lives. It entertains, informs and indeed is a companion for many of us. As Ireland goes digital we must ensure that television viewers understand what is involved. To overcome the challenges that digital switchover brings, we must assist people with practical and helpful information to inform them what is happening and what they need to do to move to digital TV”.

For the campaign, Target McConnells are partnering with BeSpokeWithDirection, 11890 and Millward Browne Lansdowne, to provide a wide-ranging advertising and public relations campaign to communicate the key digital switchover messages over the next 18 months. The campaign will include extensive use of TV, radio and print media.

“This information campaign will be starting in a couple of weeks and will run for over one year. I will be announcing further details shortly”, concluded the Minister.

Ends

Notes to Editors:

The main objectives of the Going Digital Campaign are:

• To build knowledge and awareness that RTE’s national analogue TV network, which provides free reception of the Irish national TV stations, is closing down in the last quarter of 2012 and will be replaced by the RTE Saorview network.
    • To inform people of the benefits of the switchover and that the change will allow for more efficient use of the transmission spectrum which will bring benefits to the Irish economy (the digital dividend).
    • To ensure people are given the information they need to make the move to digital TV by quarter 4 2012
    • To inform about the potential impact of this and the choices to be made in going digital
    • To empower individuals, through provision of information and a national telephone helpline, to make informed choices before the date of switch off of the national analogue free TV network.
    The main elements of the campaign are as follows:
    • A nationwide advertising and media campaign
    • Information Booklets etc.
    • A national telephone helpline

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Press+Releases/Target+McConnells+appointed+to+communicate+Digital+Switchover+Information+Campaign.htm

The Minister states further details will be announced shortly, I assume this will include the ASO date(s) - possibly in conjunction with DigitalUK's dates for DSO in NI. Oct is a quiet month for DigitalUK with the next UK switchover not taking place until Nov.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

the key digital switchover messages over the next 18 months.

Why are they running switchover messages for 18 months when you will get the ultimate message to switchover in 12 months .

I can understand 13 or 14 months so information about new receivers is provided for anyone not realising until last minute for some reason but longer than that you are probably not bothered anyway

SPDUB wrote: »
    Why are they running switchover messages for 18 months when you will get the ultimate message to switchover in 12 months .

I can understand 13 or 14 months so information about new receivers is provided for anyone not realising until last minute for some reason but longer than that you are probably not bothered anyway

The etenders website says the duration of the contract is 18 months from the award date.

With the campaign due to start soon which includes advertising and media campaign, literature and call centre my guess is the contract was awarded some months ago (Jul?) with everything to be ready for a mid Oct launch. I'd say it would take more than 2-3 weeks to put all this in place.

The period following analogue switchoff in Oct 2012 could be a very busy period for the call center people with many households only realising they need to upgrade first, second or third TV sets aerials etc. My guess is it could operate over the Christmas sales period that year closing at the end of the year or early Jan 2013.

Will they also be involved with any Departmental assistance scheme?

Campaign preparation and development period, pre ASO information campaign (12 mts) and post ASO assistance - 18 months looks about right (Jul 2011 to Dec 2012?).

An update on the Dept of Communications press release above about the awarding of the ASO Information Campaign contract to McConnells.

http://www.e-tenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=OCT272676

The contract was awared on 28th Aug 2011 and will run for 18 months to the end of Jan 2013.

The value of the contract is €1.2 million (ex VAT) which is approx half of €3 million allocated in the last budget for the DTT switchover campaign and possible assistance scheme.

There were 3 other bidders.

• Advertisement

This from a Seanad statement by the Minister last week on the switchover campaign and assistance scheme
    Turning now to broadcasting, I referred earlier to the forthcoming spectrum auction. This spectrum partly arises from Ireland’s national digital switch-over strategy which provides for the closure of the analogue television network before the end of 2012 and the release of the resultant spectrum with the benefits I alluded to earlier. I am keenly aware of the challenges this initiative brings, in particular for Irish households which are reliant on the analogue television network. All households reliant on the aerial television network will need to upgrade to digital television or they will lose access to television. To overcome the challenges that digital switch-over brings, we must also assist people with information and practical assistance to ensure that no one is left behind as Ireland goes digital. I will implement a substantial information campaign providing households with information on the digital switch-over and on their options for going digital. This information campaign will start shortly.

In conjunction with this, my Department is currently developing plans to address the particular needs of vulnerable households as they prepare to go digital. In this context, the expertise and local knowledge of the many voluntary and charity organisations around the country will be of critical importance to ensuring the success of the switch-over process. I have asked my Department to ensure that to the greatest possible extent these organisations play a major part in our information and assistance campaign.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/seanad/2011/10/05/00008.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Pat Kenny just said they'll be discussing ASO and options at some point today. I suspect it'll be after the 11am news, in the consumer slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Pat Kenny just trailed an item for later on his show on the analogue switch-off and one's options.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭championc

evilivor wrote: »
    Pat Kenny just trailed an item for later on his show on the analogue switch-off and one's options.

On NOW

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Macy0161

A bit disappointing really - got totally side tracked with the online content. The important stuff (for the age profile of his listeners) then had to be rushed.

The ASO date(s) will be announced tomorrow (5:55 and 11:45 mins in on the podcast).

Joint announcement with DigitalUK for NI DSO dates?

Link to podcast of the discussion between Pat and Tina Leonard - http://www.rte.ie/podcasts/2011/pc/pod-v-13101111m55stodaywithpatkenny-pid0-715320.mp3
    Digital TV

Given that in just over a year analogue TV will have been switched off across Europe and have been replaced by digital TV, whatever method you choose to receive TV on your TV set you also have to consider what you may need to do to receive Irish free-to-air television.

(The Dept of Communications/Minister Pat Rabbite is launching an information campaign on the switchover and announcing the switchover date tomorrow.)

The switchover is prescribed by European law, with the deadline given as the end of 2012, but is also national policy. It is still free-to-air television, you’re just receiving it by different method and it will be a better quality signal, i.e. no interference and a better picture and sound. It allows for a more efficient use of the radio spectrum, freeing up use for broadband, TV and other communication services and also TV equipment manufacturers are concentrating on development of digital TVs and receivers; this is international.

RTE is absorbing the costs and is tasked with the responsibility of rolling out the service. Saorview is the name of the service and is owned and managed by RTE.

The new digital service will provide an expanded range of Irish TV channels, plus a full range of RTE Radio digital stations, an improved version of Aertel and access to an electronic programme guide. In other words you will be getting more.
    Already 92% of the country is digital ready, so bear that in mind if you’re buying a new TV set or service now.

The following takes into account what you will have to do (if anything) to ensure you receive the digital service.

Getting TV via your TV set

Subscribe

The majority of Irish households (around 1 million) pay a monthly fee to receive a host of channels in addition to the free Irish channels.

For the basic package you’ll pay €23 with UPC and €25 with Sky. You won’t need to do anything with regard to the digital switchover.

Get free-to-air satellite

About 162,000 households receive their TV this way and it’s because you can get all the channels without paying a monthly subscription fee.

You can buy a satellite dish and also a freesat/freeview box and also use an aerial to get the free Irish channels. This means you will also need to buy a Saorview set-top box to decode the digital signal via the aerial.

But, if you moving to this method now you can buy a combination freesat / Saorview set-top box (approx €100) for use with your dish and aerial, or buy a combination box (over €300) for use without a dish or aerial.

Use an aerial

You can just use your aerial and then receive Irish TV and pay nothing. 600,000 households watch TV this way, with 335,000 receiving television exclusively through an aerial.

In order to keep watching TV this way you will need to buy a set top box (Saorview approved in recommended and listed on their website / saorview.ie) to receive the new digital service. The prices have already come down and range from €50 to €60 or you can get ones with record functions that are priced up to €100. Once you buy that there is no further payment, as before.
    You might want to check your aerial just in case too. For example, if you are using an aerial only and currently don’t receive TV3 or TG4 you may have an old VHF aerial and you’ll need a UHF TV aerial (approx €150) or if you receive the others but not TV3 then your aerial may be pointing in the wrong direction and will need to be moved to point towards the best transmission site for your area.

Remember each television set will need to decode the signal coming from the aerial, which means that each TV will require a set top box.

o The majority of people using aerial only are over 55 in rural areas. If you have an elderly friend or relative, perhaps living alone, make sure they are all set.
    o If you are planning on buying a new TV now buy an integrated digital television (iDTV) that is Mpeg 4 compatible. These have a built in decoder so you won’t need to buy a set top box.
    o Be aware that UK ‘freeview’ boxes and iDTVs will not decode the Saorview service.
    o Saorview has a list of approved products on their website at www.saorview.ie and look out for the Saorview logo. This guarantees that they are 100% compatible with the Saorview service.
    o Beware door-to-door callers trying to sell you something relating to the digital switchover that you may not need.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/todaywithpatkenny/2011-10-13.html

Macy0161 wrote: »
    A bit disappointing really - got totally side tracked with the online content. The important stuff (for the age profile of his listeners) then had to be rushed.

I agree - they should have pushed the Saorview content first then covered the online options - it's a pity it got a bit rushed as you could hear Pat was quite well briefed on the subject.

If you know the subject you would have been a bit frustrated - if you knew nothing about it - you would have been bewildered.

evilivor wrote: »
    it's a pity it got a bit rushed as you could hear Pat was quite well briefed on the subject.

Except for the bit about DTT overspill reception from Wales and NI.

Analogue TV will close on October 24 2012 in conjunction with NI.

Information campaign to start next week fronted by Gay Byrne.

Web - www.goingdigital.ie
    LoCall helpline - 1890 940 980 (English) and 1890 940 970 (Irish)
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/#!/tvswitchireland
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/TVSwitchIreland
    MINISTER RABBITTE ANNOUNCES DATE FOR DIGITAL TV SWITCHOVER
    Dublin 14 October 2011

GAY BYRNE CONFIRMED AS FACE OF CAMPAIGN

Minister for Communications, Energy & Natural Resources, Pat Rabbitte T.D. today announced Wednesday 24th October, 2012 as the official date of completion of the digital TV switchover, when the analogue TV network in Ireland will be switched off.

SAORVIEW – Ireland’s new national digital TV network, launched nationally by RTẾ in May this year – will replace the analogue TV network when it is switched off just over one year from now. Both networks will operate in parallel until then. The analogue TV network will also be turned off in Northern Ireland on 24th October 2012, Digital UK announced today, in order to make the transition to digital as straightforward as possible for TV viewers and broadcasters.

Minister Rabbitte said, “The availability of digital television and the switching off of the analogue TV network in a year’s time is a very positive thing for Ireland and will offer TV viewers a number of additional benefits, such as clearer picture and sound quality, more TV channels, radio channels, information services and high definition TV. Importantly, digital TV also uses less space in the broadcast spectrum band which means that Ireland will join many other countries throughout Europe and the rest of the world in freeing up space for other purposes, such as the provision of mobile or broadband services.“

Anyone who currently relies on an aerial to watch TV - approximately 250,000 households across Ireland - will need to take action before 24th October 2012 to retain access to TV services. TV viewers have a number of options available to them. They can connect to the SAORVIEW service which is a one-off cost and, like the old TV network, has no subscription fee or recurring charges. In most cases the purchase of a set-top box will enable connection to SAORVIEW. Details on SAORVIEW are available at www.saorview.ie or LoCall 1890 222 012.

Alternatively, TV viewers can choose to move to a pay-TV service, such as Sky, UPC or a cable or broadband service provider. Those subscribing to a pay TV service will not be affected by the switching off of the analogue TV network. Information on pay TV service providers is available on the Department’s website, www.goingdigital.ie.

The Department of Communications, Energy & Natural Resources is providing guidance to the public though a new website, www.goingdigital.ie, a LoCall helpline 1890 940 980 and the distribution of 100,000 free information booklets which will be available in post offices and Citizen Information Centres throughout the country from next week.

Minister Rabbitte said, “It is Important that we help people, particularly the 23% of people still unaware of the Digital TV Switchover, to understand what it is, its many benefits, when it is happening and where they can go for guidance. Our campaign will focus, in particular, on ensuring that the 250,000 households across the country who are reliant on the analogue TV service get the message. We are confident that our communications campaign will help us do this. We will also be engaging with community groups, voluntary organisations and charities throughout the country.”

The Minister was joined at the launch by iconic broadcaster, Gay Byrne who will feature in the Department’s innovative advertising campaign for the Digital Switchover which will debut on Irish TV screens this evening. Gay will play a key role in helping The Department of Communications, Energy & Natural Resources to communicate the message that the analogue TV signal will be switched off on 24th October 2012 and that people have many places to go for guidance and inform themselves on what they need to do.

Minister Rabbitte said, “We are delighted to have Gay Byrne involved in our communications campaign and we could not have chosen a more appropriate personality to support our campaign. Gay is synonymous with the development of Irish TV over the years and is arguably the most recognisable face and voice in the country. It is important that people feel reassured that the transition to digital TV is not a complicated one and represents the next advancement in the evolution of TV in Ireland and throughout the world and Gay’s involvement will help bring people along with us”.

Guidance on the Digital Switchover is available at www.goingdigital.ie, through LoCall 1890 940 980 (English language) and 1890 940 970 (Irish language) and through information booklets which will be available in post offices and Citizen Information Centres throughout the country from next week. The campaign also has its own Facebook page, www.facebook.com/tvswitchireland, and Twitter account, http://twitter.com/tvswitchireland.

Ends/

Notes to Editor:

The latest research from Millward Brown Lansdowne (Millward Brown Lansdowne Digital Switchover Benchmark Study, September 2011) shows that some 77% of Irish people are aware of the Digital Switchover, 23% (mostly over-55 years of age) are still not aware that the analogue TV network will be switched off in late 2012.
    For further information:

Press office DCENR,

Enda Gallagher/John Twomey

T: (01) 6782418

E: press.office@dcenr.gov.ie

BespokeWithDirection

Neil O’Gorman/Deirdre Hynds T: (01) 6651950

E: neil.ogorman@bespokewithdirection.ie / Deirdre.hynds@bespokewithdirection.ie

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Press+Releases/MINISTER+RABBITTE+ANNOUNCES+DATE+FOR+DIGITAL+TV+SWITCHOVER.htm

Analogue TV network switch off in October 2012
    Friday, 14 October 2011

It has been announced the analogue television network in Ireland is to be switched off in just over a year's time.

The new national digital television network, Saorview, replaces the analogue service when it is switched off on 24 October 2012.

If households that currently receive their television signal via an aerial do not switch to digital they will lose Irish television services when the analogue network is switched off

Minister for Communications Pat Rabbitte announced the date, which is the same as Northern Ireland.

The Minister said the move to digital is a positive one that will offer viewers clearer picture and better sound quality.

He said it would also offer more channels and free up space on the broadcast spectrum for other purposes including mobile and broadband services.

Around 250,000 households currently rely on analogue to watch TV.

An awareness campaign about the switchover is to get under way next week.

For more information about Saorview go to www.saorview.ie, Aertel page 650 or lo call 1890 222 012.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1014/dtt.html

Morning Ireland podcast - http://www.rte.ie/podcasts/2011/pc/pod-v-1410112ndhour34m16smorningireland-pid0-2056776.mp3 (12:44 mins in)
    Reports on the RTÉ One, Six-One and Nine news programmes - http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1014/dtt.html#video
    TV3 5.30 News report - http://www.tv3.ie/news.php?request=&tv3_preview=&video=41169

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/analogue-tv-switchoff-date-set-2906427.html
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/24041-irelands-digital-tv/
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/govt-to-announce-date-of-digital-tv-switchover-524360.html
    http://www.thejournal.ie/date-set-for-digital-tv-switchover-heres-what-you-need-to-know-253541-Oct2011/
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/1014/breaking9.html

Sat 15th Oct newspaper reports
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/1015/1224305837847.html
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/government-to-net-euro180m-from-digital-tv-switch-2907072.html
    http://www.examiner.ie/archives/2011/1015/ireland/end-is-near-for-analogue-tv-but-23-unaware-of-switch-off-170781.html

This from the DigitalUK press release regarding to ASO in the Republic of Ireland
    Analogue signals will also be turned off in the Republic of Ireland on 24 October 2012, the Government of Ireland announced today, in order to make the transition to digital as straightforward as possible for TV viewers and the broadcasters.

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/69685/10-14-11_ni_date_announcement.pdf

Minister will be on Morning Ireland talking about ASO presently.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Minister Rabbitte was talking about how the launch of Saorview next year will replace the analogue TV service, with extra channels, including a kids channel and HD.

What did he do at Montose on the 26th of May this year only launch the Saorview service? The extra channels launched on 29th October 2010. (Well most of then did, the TV3 ones took a feww days to get going!)

Q: Why do we need yet another launch of Saorview? Ans: Because RTE Execs are ingnoring the last two.

Even the news report uses the future tense when talking about Saorview. It has been broadcasting in MPEG 4 since Aug 2008 from 3Rock and CC, and longer if you include the BT trials in MPEG2. It was launched 29th Oct 2010, and OFFICIALLY LAUNCHED on 26th May 2011. Today, we have the third launch of the service, and I presume the 24th October 2012 will have another launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

The Cush wrote: »
    Analogue TV will close on October 24 2012 in conjunction with NI.

It is daft using the same date for the WHOLE of the republic .

Why not start with switching off areas of the country (such as Dublin/Three Rock transmitter) where Saorview 100% matches analogue coverage and for a number of reasons is going to have least technical difficulty + border areas.

An advantage of switching off areas of the republic in stages is that lessons be learnt from problems that might arise - such as from elderly people with difficulty etc and the experience used in the next area. Especially considering there is no trial switch-off anywhere in the republic before that date.

Many areas in the south and west of the country have analogue but cannot get Saorview. Saorsat is an expensive option and there is little experience of the technology in this country so far (dish size for rain fade margins etc) and requires more specialist installation than regular satellite. I think many would suggest analogue continue a bit longer in areas of the country where Saorsat is the only free digital option for many people (provided the spectrum is not needed for anything else). Could someone for example give a quote for installation of Saorsat in a typical house with say 3 TVs?

Its all so much easier in Northern Ireland where no-one in rural areas has to fork out money for expensive solutions, and there is so much more got in return for going digital (several worthwhile extra channels)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

I think many would suggest analogue continue a bit longer in areas of the country where Saorsat is the only free digital option for many people

I think if you start doing that, these areas will really be put on the long finger and could well be left on analogue for years ! I would hazard a guess and say that anyone living in these remote places, have long ago been forced to go down the SKY route for coverage of the Irish terrestrials anyway. I know they are entitled to Saorview too, but how many houses need to be in an area to justify the cost of putting up a local relay for them ? Saorsat in supposed to be the answer to this problem and I presume Saorsat will be well tested and up and running well before 24th October 2012 ? By the way, if they can get a decent analogue signal from somewhere now, why can't that same transmitter/relay give them Saorview ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Heard a report this morning on RTE radio where the reporter said that the analogue switch off date was announced for 24th Oct 2012 and he then went on to state that if you want to continue receiving RTE TV and Irish channels you need to sign up to a paid TV service such as Sky or UPC. He finally advised that you could purchase some ‘equipment’ to enable you to receive Saorview through an aerial
    Beggars belief that RTE is not trying to push people into getting sorted with regular FTA rather than advising they pay Sky and UPC for the Irish channels. Or does it mean that they will get paid more by Sky and UPC if there are more people on those platforms and hence RTE don’t have to spend as much maintaining the regular FTA

Was on RTE 2FM or RTE Radio 1 8.30am news I think – I will try to post a link if I can find it

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

Antenna wrote: »
    An advantage of switching off areas of the republic in stages is that lessons be learnt from problems that might arise - such as from elderly people with difficulty etc and the experience used in the next area. Especially considering there is no trial switch-off anywhere in the republic before that date.
    We are late to the party when it comes to analogue switch off, I don't see that there are any lessons left to be learned that we should not be able to glean from looking at other switchovers around europe.
    There is no action to be taken on the switchover date, 'retunes' should not be necessary except in border areas.
    Antenna wrote: »
    Its all so much easier in Northern Ireland where no-one in rural areas has to fork out money for expensive solutions, and there is so much more got in return for going digital (several worthwhile extra channels)

It will be much cheaper for many, but it's not all so much easier, Northern DTT viewers using smaller transmitters will have no DTT at all until 10 October next year, then they have to spend two weeks switching between Digital for BBC2 and analogue for UTV & Channel 4, before needing to retune to get the rest of their channels on digital.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

galtee boy wrote: »
    By the way, if they can get a decent analogue signal from somewhere now, why can't that same transmitter/relay give them Saorview ?

The number of transmitters is dropping from over 150 to 51:

"The RTÉNL national analogue TV network (old TV network) serves 98% of the population from over 150 transmission sites and RTÉ has advised that the same percentage of the population will receive DTT services from 51 sites. "
    http://www.goingdigital.ie/Industry/Frequency+Planning/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Enda Murphy

I have a very bad feeling about this, I think on the morning of 25/10/12 thousands of older and simpler folks will be left with a blank screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

I have a very bad feeling about this, I think on the morning of 25/10/12 thousands of older and simpler folks will be left with a blank screen.

It may come as a surprise to some, but for many older people, this would represent an inconvenience rather than an emergency.

• Advertisement

We have , as far as I know, all the DTT we are going to get, up and running, now. Mux 1 has been running for years on some transmitters, and on most since October last year. Mux 2 is running on nearly all transmitters now. We could have planned the ASO for Oct 2011, but as usual, we needed a few more disappointments. RTE, accordig to their schedule published in the press, do not have a DTT service with extra channels. That will not start for another year. The news reports speak about Saorview in the future - not an existing service covering 97% of the population.

RTE should plan to turn off the main transmitters first, so that the panic will be dealt with in the higher populated areas first. Then schedule the smaller relays over coming months. Maybe start with 3Rock, as many people served by it are on UPC and Sky.

Nobody beleives these things until they have already happened.

Advertisement