Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bioshock Infinite

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Hey guys, do u know if the PC version is much better?

It's graphically stunning. My flatmate has the XBox version, and if I wanted my PC copy to look the same I'd have to set all the graphical options to medium at best. Noticed a whole load of frame rate issues on the console too for some of the bigger areas.

On max settings, you can see the individual brush strokes on the gigantic paintings. Everything is amazingly crisp and vivid. It's utterly, breath-takingly beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

It's graphically stunning. My flatmate has the XBox version, and if I wanted my PC copy to look the same I'd have to set all the graphical options to medium at best. Noticed a whole load of frame rate issues on the console too for some of the bigger areas.

On max settings, you can see the individual brush strokes on the gigantic paintings. Everything is amazingly crisp and vivid. It's utterly, breath-takingly beautiful.

Played the pc version aswell looks a whole generation above the console versions, ran ultra all the way through vsync is a must though I had severe screen tearing without it. There were some fights where I'd have been amazed if the console didnt drop to sub 20fps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

There are. I saw some scenes absolutely chugging along on the XBox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Draw distance on the pc version was also incredible being a console gamer till Infinate lol, that combined with the overhead rails was great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

*bump*

Just got around to installing this, weird graphics glitch when loading up a new level, my graphics are turned to Low.
    my specs are Core 2 Duo (E6850), GTX 480 with latest drivers, 4GB RAM

Is there a command switch I can turn on to change to DirectX 9 mode maybe? Or something in an ini file? Couldn't find it online.

62a4UQo.jpg
    XK3EA7s.jpg
    OMjjjrh.jpg
    jzTdQz7.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

just got platinum trophy,maybe my favorite game ive ever played, brilliant story better than any movie or tv show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

jebus84 wrote: »
    just got platinum trophy,maybe my favorite game ive ever played, brilliant story better than any movie or tv show

The first 2 are well worth checking out too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

returnNull wrote: »

The first is better, in every possible aspect (except graphics)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

SeantheMan wrote: »
    The first is better, in every possible aspect (except graphics)

Agree,but still think 2 was good and well worth playing especially as I'd say it can be picked up very cheap.All my opinion though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Am torn between this and dishonored. I enjoyed Bioshock 1 but took me ages to clear, could never just 'keep playing' but hearing how good this one is has me tempted. Then with Dishonored, it looks like my cuppa but some reviews says you can lose interest playing it.

Might be biased on the Bioshock forum but anyone suggest one over the other?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Am torn between this and dishonored. I enjoyed Bioshock 1 but took me ages to clear, could never just 'keep playing' but hearing how good this one is has me tempted. Then with Dishonored, it looks like my cuppa but some reviews says you can lose interest playing it.

Were I to compare the two, I'd say Dishonoured is more fun to play. Bioshock is gorgeously captivating but the combat is nothing special. You can really have a lot of fun approaching the levels in Dishonoured in various ways.

I'd say Dishonoured will be heavily discounted on the Steam summer sale

also
    Deal of the week
    Bioshock Infinite – £13.59
    Apply coupon “GFDJUN20UK”. Registers on Steam.
    via RPS
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/06/08/the-rps-bargain-bucket-looking-humongous/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

On PS3 but leaning towards Dishonored as it's 30 euro and bioshock is 55. I spose I can always trade it when i'm done.

returnNull wrote: »

played the first one loved it,its a great series of games but infinite is the best game ive played since resident evil 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I've played, finished and loved both, but if I had to recommend one, it would be Dishonored. It was my favourite game of 2012 and I loved it from start to pretty much finish. There's a ton of replayability as well.

Bioshock is excellent as well, but I think it's the story and characters more than the actual game mechanics that elevated it. The gunplay and stuff is solid but I wouldn't describe it as exceptional.

It's very close between the 2 but Dishonored being cheaper as well definitely tips it in its favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

On PS3 but leaning towards Dishonored as it's 30 euro and bioshock is 55. I spose I can always trade it when i'm done.
    I think Dishonored is better in terms of replay value, but for that first playthrough awesomeness, I think Infinite is probably the better game. Though its close. Given this post, though, I'd say go with Dishonored. I'd really recommend giving it at least two playthroughs. It really deserves it.

Dishonored already has DLC released. There is The Knife of Dunwall which is fun, though not as good as the main game, and Dunwall City Trials which are quite challenging. I've done some of them, but had so much else to play I left them off for the time being. There will be some other story based DLC to come, from what I understand.

BioShock Infinite has a season pass so that'll be getting DLC though we don't know when any of them will be out, though I think all the DLCs were to be out by one year from release of Infinite.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

On PS3 but...

Oh, well then, that's okay I suppose...

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

Finished it yesterday, Not usually my kind of game and I've never played Bioshock 1/2 but I decided to play it after hearing how good it was

I liked it, the level area was nicely detailed, listening to what the people on the street were saying, the carnival games near the start, I was exploring the whole area collecting and searching everything as I was going, I got most of the voxophones and some of the kinetoscopes

Though I didn't know you could
    sneak round the boys of silence in Comstock House if they didn't see you through their light, and ended up shooting them and all the zombie like people they were guarding, Also the bit in the wardens office made me jump with one right behind you as you turn around
    :eek:

What vigor and weapon combinations did people use? I found the Carbine as the main gun and the machine gun/shotgun as the other one worked well, and the Shock Jockey/Murder of Crows were good

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I get severe motion sickness with FPS games, so I've been a little hesitant to play it. But I really wanted to experience this game! So I've been playing in small doses...so I can last about 90 minutes before getting my stomach churning and a bit of a headache! I appreciate the hand-holding of the initial few hours. It's absolutely gorgeous and draped in so many little things that flesh out the world.

I find myself just using the machine gun instead of the vigors and generally just upgrading that rather than shield/health. Any tips? Also, there are various locked safes in the game. Do they all just contain money, or are there some I just make sure to unlock? I was really disappointed 'wasting' 5 lockpicks on the first one, which just had money in it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Though I didn't know you could
    sneak round the boys of silence in Comstock House if they didn't see you through their light, and ended up shooting them and all the zombie like people they were guarding, Also the bit in the wardens office made me jump with one right behind you as you turn around
    :eek:
    d

for whatever reason, I only had like.. 9 rounds of ammo for either gun at that stage so I was forced to either sneak or run run run away. made for a very tense and enjoyable area

also yes, carbine is pretty much the only gun in the game worth a damn

I get severe motion sickness with FPS games, so I've been a little hesitant to play it. But I really wanted to experience this game! So I've been playing in small doses...so I can last about 90 minutes before getting my stomach churning and a bit of a headache! I appreciate the hand-holding of the initial few hours. It's absolutely gorgeous and draped in so many little things that flesh out the world.

I find myself just using the machine gun instead of the vigors and generally just upgrading that rather than shield/health. Any tips? Also, there are various locked safes in the game. Do they all just contain money, or are there some I just make sure to unlock? I was really disappointed 'wasting' 5 lockpicks on the first one, which just had money in it.

you'll want money later in th egame as you upgrade vigours, which you should be using. my first playthrough I stuck to eh... cant really remember, I think the electric one and some other one you get very very early but on my second playthrough I experimented a lot more with the various vigors and it opened the game up unbelievably
    bucking bronco is kinda useless but is unbelievable fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

there are various locked safes in the game. Do they all just contain money, or are there some I just make sure to unlock? I was really disappointed 'wasting' 5 lockpicks on the first one, which just had money in it.

Some of the locked rooms have gear, infusions, weapons and money, some have locked safes usually with around 200 Silver Eagles inside

You'll collect lockpicks as you go around searching the area so you'll always have some left, if you miss any Elizabeth will point out to collect it, and you find lockpick sets with 3 in towards the end, so try unlocking and searching all you can

yeah, forgot to mention but there's a serious abundance of lockpicks in the game

once or twice you might have to double back a tiny bit to reach a safe you didn't have enough picks for the first time you saw it but especially as the game goes on you'll end up with 5x times the picks you actually need

Going to start watching this now - it's all the cutscenes and whatnot spliced together like a full movie -

better than the last of us in imo,enjoyed it alot more better story and always a good sign of a great game is playing it 2/3 times cant say il be doing that with the last of us a good game but not the greatest game ever tag its been getting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I'm not crazy about this game. I really enjoyed the original, and to a slightly lesser extent I liked 2. Whilst some of the graphics, and especially the textures, were beautiful, I found it linear and the combat was not very engaging. I know the other games are somewhat linear too, however the bottom of the sea would probably force such a place to be linear. The floating city just isn't as foreboding and dangerous as the deep, and as it was set outside it just seemed even more liner than it really should have been. I just didn't enjoy the whole
    bring in stuff from other dimensions
    just seems gimmicky. Playing it on hard, I found loads of money and ammo, so there wasn't much on the tactical side either. I didn't finish the game, and to be honest I don't want to either. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

One minor gripe I had with Infinite was there was no multiplayer.

I know Bioshock 2's multiplayer didn't exactly reinvent the wheel but I still found it very enjoyable and easy to pick up and play, it had some little quirks that just set it apart from regular FPS multiplayer modes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

For the most part, when you see multiplayer that means the single player has had development time diverted from the campaign. This is less so when there is another development team working on multiplayer. If I saw, say Infinite or Metro Last Light had multiplayer, I'd be worried.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    For the most part, when you see multiplayer that means the single player has had development time diverted from the campaign. This is less so when there is another development team working on multiplayer. If I saw, say Infinite or Metro Last Light had multiplayer, I'd be worried.

Precisely. Didn't they spend a whole month writing the ending sequence? Or perhaps even more time!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Pushtrak wrote: »

Yeah but I don't see the point in just releasing something just because the single player has been finished either.

I know nowadays the common trend is multiplayer modes are tacked on and if they're not then the single player is. But why can't we still get both. I don't know if a multiplayer mode for Infinite would've taken that much extra development either, the MP in BS2 was fairly light hearted but I found it very enjoyable and it just re-done with the new vigours and maps would've satisfied me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Trailer for the first bit of story dlc.

Advertisement