Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bioshock Infinite

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

marco_polo wrote: »
    You're seriously considering not finishing a game you are enjoying because of a few achievements? Really?

I'll probably end up playing it regardless its just irritating is all. Also I'm locked into a competition with a mate over PSN Gamer level (13) so I really want the trophies from this game

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

cambo2008 wrote: »
    The Barbershop version of God Only Knows was class. Stood there watching and listening to it till the end. Was powering through the game up until then.

God only knows is my favourite song. They paid a nice homage to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,137 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Finally picked this up, and about ~4 hours into things altogether: I said way back before the game came out that I was more interested in the world-building & narrative than the actual shooting or gunplay, and nothing has changed in that respect. I spend more time wandering around the frankly beautiful environments, taking in all the crafted period detail (and the warped versions of it), than caring too much about the shooting matches. So in that respect, the game is a triumph. Columbia is as much the star of the show as the ubiquitous Elizabeth.

It was the same for Bioshock 1 & the world of Rapture, but there's one critical difference between it & Infinite: the violence in the sequel seems to have been exponentially increased, and very much to the detriment of the overall experience. In fact I'd go one further and say that it's completely breaking the immersion & spoiling the enjoyment of the game - blood flies everywhere, the vigors are OTT, and the gruesome executions with the skyhook are completely needless; they feel like they're from another game really.

These close-ups also completely undercut the otherwise convincing relationship between Booker & Elizabeth. The script is at pains to show a fragile friendship grow between the two, neither person completely trusting the other, yet Elizabeth's apologies for calling Booker a hired thug feels utterly hollow & laughable given she just witnessed him/me decapitate several men with the skyhook. The same goes for the vigors - I'm busy setting men on fire while the script is writing Booker as the rogue out for redemption. It's frustrating, as while I can avoid using the executions to keep the immersion intact, the vigors are required for the hairier situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I seem to remember there was plenty of violence in Bioshock 1. I remember the trailer had a Big Daddy putting a drill through your hand and then through your stomach, all in first person view. There was that plastic surgeon who did some gruesome stuff if I remember correctly and of course, caving in Andrew Ryan's skull with a golf club plus all the violent deaths you could put the normal enemies through.

I don't think the violence was an issue in Bioshock Infinite, or any of the games really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Booker's proclivity towards violence develops into one of the vital thematic cores of the game, so IMO it is the rare game that effectively justifies its graphic inclinations.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,137 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Booker's proclivity towards violence develops into one of the vital thematic cores of the game, so IMO it is the rare game that effectively justifies its graphic inclinations.

Interesting, then I'll reserve complete judgement until I've played all the way through; it still jars massively against the interactions with Elizabeth. She acts completely oblivious or unmoved by Bookers bloodlust happening directly in-front of her. It's particularly odd considering how the dev. team took care to make sure she was otherwise reactive to the world around her - her one blind spot appears to be Bookers violent actions.
    J. Marston wrote: »
    I seem to remember there was plenty of violence in Bioshock 1. I remember the trailer had a Big Daddy putting a drill through your hand and then through your stomach, all in first person view. There was that plastic surgeon who did some gruesome stuff if I remember correctly and of course, caving in Andrew Ryan's skull with a golf club plus all the violent deaths you could put the normal enemies through.

I don't think the violence was an issue in Bioshock Infinite, or any of the games really.

It's a question of perspective; it's not the violence in of itself that's the problem, I remember those moments in #1 myself, it's the fact that the worst of it is being done by your hands, the apparent protagonist, the Rogue with a Heart of Gold archetype. This changes the nature & context of the violence. Your character in #1 was effectively a pawn, a mute cypher, and where he wasn't under hypnotic control his actions were effectively survival instinct kicking in. Here in Infinite, Bookers gruesome executions seems less about survival and more like sadism tbh, and totally at odds with the dialogue and attempted (platonic) relationship being fostered between Elizabeth and Booker. It feels like the script-writers and graphic artists never actually interacted with each other

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Again, Elizabeth's response to Booker's deeds is directly addressed at various junctures throughout the game. I'll resist going into specifics (there's discussions about it in the ending thread) but even near the start there are plenty of moments where she expresses frustration and misgivings about what's happening. There's a little moment near the beginning when she begins to give out to Booker, to make her reactions to his horrific deeds. He swiftly puts her down with a comment about survival. There's that moment when she realises that despite Booker's violent actions he is temporarily at least the best option she has, and there's an actual look of tired resignation in her face. Thought that was a strong moment to precede the more in-depth character explorations later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hey all, stuck on
    Fighting lady comstock round 3 outside comstock house, pain in my face. Playing on Hard.
    Any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

ED E wrote: »
    Hey all, stuck on
    Fighting lady comstock round 3 outside comstock house, pain in my face. Playing on Hard.
    Any tips?
    That's in the bank right? Just don't go in the door and they can't get you while you can fire away at her. Only target her, no point wasting ammo on the grunts as she just revives them immediately. I agree on the pain in the face comment, the graveyard gave me awful grief in 1999 mode.

That's in the bank right? Just don't go in the door and they can't get you while you can fire away at her. Only target her, no point wasting ammo on the grunts as she just revives them immediately. I agree on the pain in the face comment, the graveyard gave me awful grief in 1999 mode.
    No, back in the "courtyard" with the naval mines. Where you have a mosquito to summon.

• Advertisement

Burn her support troops and they won't be revived (as long as they're killed by fire, you can wear them down any other way). Might take a couple of respawns but it will change the fight into a piece of piss when it's only Lady Comstock left. There's even a crypt in the far western corner where you can hide behind a coffin and attack while she can't even hit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

ED E wrote: »
    Hey all, stuck on
    Any tips?
    Use Shock Jockey and kill the undead. That way they will disintegrate after and eventually just leave Lady Comstack to attack. I imagine Devil' Kiss will do the same but I used Shock Jockey

Once you work out a tactic, all the enemies are manageable.

I just completed 1999 mode there and I really do love this game.

Thanks lads, just managed it
    using chained shock jokey and the mosquito. Kept running out of ammo(no cash after upgrades just before). Finished her off when I found a hand cannon on the ground. Now, lets actually get on with the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Bought the game on Saturday , anyone else find some bits confusing ?

Again, Elizabeth's response to Booker's deeds is directly addressed at various junctures throughout the game. I'll resist going into specifics (there's discussions about it in the ending thread) but even near the start there are plenty of moments where she expresses frustration and misgivings about what's happening. There's a little moment near the beginning when she begins to give out to Booker, to make her reactions to his horrific deeds. He swiftly puts her down with a comment about survival. There's that moment when she realises that despite Booker's violent actions he is temporarily at least the best option she has, and there's an actual look of tired resignation in her face. Thought that was a strong moment to precede the more in-depth character explorations later on.

I won't labour the point if it's a case that "all will be revealed", but I do remember some of Elizabeth's remonstrations near the start, it's obvious she's reluctant to follow a man versed in violence, but I still believe that her worries ring a little hollow & false with such ludicrous OTT violence. It's hard to believe Elizabeth wants to see Paris that badly that she'd accompany an obviously psychotic man who's happy to rip heads from their shoulders on a frequent basis.
    To be honest, it feels less like a narrative construct, and more like BioShock trying to shovel in some of the standard adolescent violence one comes to expect in a AAA shooter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

EoghanIRL wrote: »

I haven't finished it yet, but yeah i do feel it is a small bit confusing. I think its better like that actually, it keeps me thinking and trying to pick up pieces of the story.

I didnt have a clue what to expect from this game, but im really enjoying it - i play it in in short bursts. I cant wait to see how its ends.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I won't labour the point if it's a case that "all will be revealed", but I do remember some of Elizabeth's remonstrations near the start, it's obvious she's reluctant to follow a man versed in violence, but I still believe that her worries ring a little hollow & false with such ludicrous OTT violence. It's hard to believe Elizabeth wants to see Paris that badly that she'd accompany an obviously psychotic man who's happy to rip heads from their shoulders on a frequent basis.
    To be honest, it feels less like a narrative construct, and more like BioShock trying to shovel in some of the standard adolescent violence one comes to expect in a AAA shooter...

Rest assured you're meant to be questioning the level of the violence in the game. Again, see you in the ending thread when you're done ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Finished it now, no spoilers in here, but that last fight before the end :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

cloud493 wrote: »
    , but that last fight before the end :mad:

Get the yolk that makes you invulnerable for a shot time after coming off a skyline and the thing that sets enemies on fire after same. Just hope on an off, unload shotgun blasts into the enemies and hope back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

cloud493 wrote: »
    Finished it now, no spoilers in here, but that last fight before the end :mad:
    Get the yolk that makes you invulnerable for a shot time after coming off a skyline and the thing that sets enemies on fire after same. Just hope on an off, unload shotgun blasts into the enemies and hope back on.
    If ye are thinking of doing 1999 mode if ye haven't already, there is a better way which I posted in the other thread. I'll spoiler it again, and this time even provide a reason as to why I'm doing it. Not only because it kind of is, but the method actually makes the part too easy in my opinion.
    Use return to sender on the core so it doesn't take much damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I'll probably get hammered for this, but it doesn't seem as pretty as the first two. For some reason, when I was playing it, it came in to my head, hey this isn't bad for a budget game.

I am only playing it for about an hour with elizabeth and already I'm madly in love with her. She's like a none irritating version of zooey deschanel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

The soundtrack for the game is perfect. Currently listening to it. Current favourites below.

Don't read the comments if you click on the videos.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Pushtrak wrote: »
    If ye are thinking of doing 1999 mode if ye haven't already, there is a better way which I posted in the other thread. I'll spoiler it again, and this time even provide a reason as to why I'm doing it. Not only because it kind of is, but the method actually makes the part too easy in my opinion.
    Use return to sender on the core so it doesn't take much damage.

Having a second runthrough on 1999 mode ATM, I might dig that one out as a last resort if on the verge of rage quitting :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

I'll probably get hammered for this, but it doesn't seem as pretty as the first two. For some reason, when I was playing it, it came in to my head, hey this isn't bad for a budget game.

eh what?it looks excellent on high settings(pc) and fairly decent on medium.Couldnt compare it to a budget game unless you're suffering from a head trauma or something!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

EoghanIRL wrote: »

I'm finding the whole thing confusing...I've only played up until the shooting starts, but who the hell am I, who is the "girl" and why am I trying to find her. I've no idea what's going on.

Did I miss something in the opening scenes or was I supposed to have some background knowledge coming into the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

marco_polo wrote: »
    Having a second runthrough on 1999 mode ATM, I might dig that one out as a last resort if on the verge of rage quitting :)
    Yeah, when on the verge of rage quitting is definitely for the best. Sure, I got it done easily when I used that method, but it's actually that reason that somewhat makes me regret it. Course, I could be on the verge of breaking a controller otherwise, so...

I'm finding the whole thing confusing...I've only played up until the shooting starts, but who the hell am I, who is the "girl" and why am I trying to find her. I've no idea what's going on.

I thought they made it very clear you're tracking down Elizabeth to bring her back to the surface and pay off a debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I thought they made it very clear you're tracking down Elizabeth to bring her back to the surface and pay off a debt.

"Bring us the girl and wipe away the debt"
    It's written on the cover for jaysus sake :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

returnNull wrote: »
    eh what?it looks excellent on high settings(pc) and fairly decent on medium.Couldnt compare it to a budget game unless you're suffering from a head trauma or something!

Is a head trauma similar to playing it on an xbox 360?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Paul1990

Did I miss something in the opening scenes or was I supposed to have some background knowledge coming into the game?
    but who the hell am I
    You're Booker DeWitt.
    who is the "girl"
    Elizabeth.
    why am I trying to find her.
    To wipe away a debt.

Now hurry, time's awastin'!

Advertisement