Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bioshock Infinite

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wait... what?
    An older looking Elizabeth, but even so: Ted I'm hugely confused. How will this fit into what we saw happen at the end of Infinite, given Booker's taking care of his daughter & the alternate worlds have all collapsed?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Makes me want to replay the game again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Trailer for the first bit of dlc.

I'd say edit the post before people get their hopes up. It's a trailer for the second piece of DLC that doesn't even have a release date.

The first is out today, and it's a wave based combat type thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Trailer for the first bit of dlc.

Sow this on other website. It really made me go: WANT WANT WANT!!! NOW!!!!!! I AM THROWING MY WALLET AT ALL 3 PC SCREENS, BUT NOTHING HAPPENING!!!

This is the DLC I wanted. More then I could ask. The challange pack DLC can honestly go and feck it self...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Burial At Sea looks good, I think it might be worth going for the season pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

pixelburp wrote: »
    Wait... what?
    An older looking Elizabeth, but even so: Ted I'm hugely confused. How will this fit into what we saw happen at the end of Infinite, given Booker's taking care of his daughter & the alternate worlds have all collapsed?

I imagine that
    it's set before the end of the main game, and you play an alternate Booker who meets up with an alternate Elizabeth in Rapture. Presumably, this means it ends the same way as the main game.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Looks like its going to be broken up into two episodes http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/07/30/bioshock-infinite-challenge-maps-out-today-story-dlc-soon

Looking forward to it, it'll be interesting to see how they connect the games. It will be cool to see how Rapture was before the shít hit the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Esterhase

I imagine that
    it's set before the end of the main game, and you play an alternate Booker who meets up with an alternate Elizabeth in Rapture. Presumably, this means it ends the same way as the main game.

That's exactly what I thought too. I don't care for Clash in the Clouds, Buried at Sea is the one I want. Can't wait for it to come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I'm playing through this now for the first time. I'm only about 2 hours in and I am really enjoying the story and the setting. Pity that I am not really enjoying the combat and there is so much of it. Anyone else just feel like they are slogging their way through arenas just to get to the next piece of story?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 listen_lady

According to Elizabeth there's always a city and there's always a girl. I think places like Rapture and girls like Elizabeth are supposed to be a multiversal constant.

Anyone finish "Burial at Sea - Episode 1" and have any thoughts or recollections to share?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

How does it look / run on the PS3? Any framerate issues? Was going to wait to play it on the pc once i get one (not sure when), but i bought a new PS3 a few days ago, and fancy playing this sooner rather then later.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,122 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Kiith wrote: »
    How does it look / run on the PS3? Any framerate issues? Was going to wait to play it on the pc once i get one (not sure when), but i bought a new PS3 a few days ago, and fancy playing this sooner rather then later.

Edit: My mistake. I thought I was in the Skyrim thread for a sec!

I didn't notice any framerate issues at all and thought it looked great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

There's the very odd minor hiccup with tearing and frame rates, and there's some fairly low res textures (if you look for them), but nothing to stop you from enjoying one of the most visually stunning games this gen. Played it through on the PS3 myself, and unless you're a total graphics junkie (in which case get the PC version), you should go and play it ASAP. The art design really is something to behold.

The PS3 and 360 versions are pretty much like for like as well, so none of that old school UE woe on the PS3.

Digital Foundry's comparison of the different formats is a decent read, highlighting the pros and cons of each version :)

Cheers lads, think i'll pick it up once i've cleared The Last of Us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Yeah but I don't see the point in just releasing something just because the single player has been finished either.

I know nowadays the common trend is multiplayer modes are tacked on and if they're not then the single player is. But why can't we still get both. I don't know if a multiplayer mode for Infinite would've taken that much extra development either, the MP in BS2 was fairly light hearted but I found it very enjoyable and it just re-done with the new vigours and maps would've satisfied me.

They don't have forever and they don't have a bottomless money pit, they have to get a game shipped so they can actually start making some money on it. And multiplayer is a significant investment on the part of the developer, it's such a big project that in many games, it's handled by an entirely different set of people to the single player. Not to mention that they then have to run an maintain servers for years after.

I finished BI at the weekend. Very good game and with a mind-boggling story. Honestly, I think it could have been told a little more clearly. it seems to get ridiculously heavy all right at the end and they crammed in too much exposition in the last half hour or so which makes the
    multiverse
    story harder to follow.

I think the combat could have been a little thinner too. It was pretty fun, especially with Elizabeth helping out and the parts where you can bring in stuff from other worlds but not the game's strongest point and sometimes it felt like it was just dragging on a bit. It would have been nice to have a map but also I think the scavenging aspect didn't make much sense in the context of Columbia, at least not in the sections where you're going around an orderly town and eating hot dogs out of a bin.

My first choice of weapons were carbine and hand canon. I usually stuck with Bucking Bronco, Murder of Crows and Shock Jockey. BB was very good for the fire and crow enemies as well as just foot soldiers (you can float a bunch of them at once and then one shot with a hand canon to kill each). Murder of Crows was very good for crowd control since you could chain them by killing one guy and having a trap set up over his body. Shock Jockey was more useful against machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

C14N wrote: »
    They don't have forever and they don't have a bottomless money pit, they have to get a game shipped so they can actually start making some money on it. And multiplayer is a significant investment on the part of the developer, it's such a big project that in many games, it's handled by an entirely different set of people to the single player. Not to mention that they then have to run an maintain servers for years after.

I'm aware of what it takes to make it :rolleyes:

But I was merely expressing my slight disappointment that there was none since I had actually enjoyed BS2's.

And the game's you are talking about that have different multiplayer developers to their single player campaign are games where the multiplayer modes are their main aspect and selling point. This is clearly not the case with BS and so I was hoping for another fairly simple yet fun multiplayer mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    I'm aware of what it takes to make it :rolleyes:

But I was merely expressing my slight disappointment that there was none since I had actually enjoyed BS2's.

And the game's you are talking about that have different multiplayer developers to their single player campaign are games where the multiplayer modes are their main aspect and selling point. This is clearly not the case with BS and so I was hoping for another fairly simple yet fun multiplayer mode.

Not always. Spec Ops: The Line which was a story-driven shooter like Bioshock had a multiplayer mode that was made by a separate team and it was widely agreed that if the time and money spent making that mode had been put into tightening up the main story, it would have been a better game. No matter what you do, there's always some trade-off to getting a multiplayer. Besides, the team who made Bioshock 2 were different to the ones who worked Bioshock 1 and Infinite. Irrational probably figured that since Bioshock was far more popular than it's sequel and a lot of people thought the multiplayer was tacked-on that it wasn't worth doing it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Finished Bioshock Infinite there yesterday, was an enjoyable experience to play and definitely a mindfcuk moment at the end. I understand most of it but
    was Comstock an older Booker, presumably after he accepted baptism in an alternative world? Giving up his old past etc as the pastor says?
    . It would make sense for a few things that Slate misunderstands during the game.

Also is there multiple endings?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Finished Bioshock Infinite there yesterday, was an enjoyable experience to play and definitely a mindfcuk moment at the end. I understand most of it but
    was Comstock an older Booker, presumably after he accepted baptism in an alternative world? Giving up his old past etc as the pastor says?
    . It would make sense for a few things that Slate misunderstands during the game.

Also is there multiple endings?
    He's not an older Booker, they are actually the same age year wise but due to the rifts, he aged quicker or at least looks a lot older.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Bugger, I'll have to buy my copy back from Gamestop!
    Looking forward to the DLC, fascinated to see how they stitch this into the storyline, given the way the game ended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Episodes?

Definitely waiting for some sort of GotY edition now.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Very very late to the party here but I started playing it during the week and am guessing that I'm about halfway through
    Elizabeth has just killed Daisy Fitzroy
    . The one thing sticking out for me however is just how similar it is in tone and story the Stephen King's Dark Tower series. From the misplaced modern music to the
    struggles of the characters to cope with memories from an alternate universe
    , there's a lot of the Dark Tower here.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Who wants to pay €14.99 for 90 minutes of gameplay? Anyone? Anyone?

Seems to be getting average to good reviews, despite the length.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/bioshock-infinite-burial-at-sea---episode-one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Mr E wrote: »
    Who wants to pay €14.99 for 90 minutes of gameplay? Anyone? Anyone?

Seems to be getting average to good reviews, despite the length.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/bioshock-infinite-burial-at-sea---episode-one

I've already got the season pass so... yes me! Looking forward to this.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Disappointed the reviews aren't as high as I'd hoped. Will hold off til ep 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Nah. That £12 could get me something much better value. Wait for the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Well, it was short, but the ending almost made up for it. The good thing about Bioshock is even when you know there's a twist coming, it still surprises you.
    I did like the return of Bioshock 1 elements, like almost no ammo or eve for the start of the game, and now there's a weapon wheel so you can carry more than two guns.
    Now the wait until March begins...

It's pretty pricey, but you'd more to see a film. So as long as it's good, i'll pick it up once the next episode is released.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

It's pretty pricey, but you'd more to see a film. So as long as it's good, i'll pick it up once the next episode is released.

What cinemas are you going to? :pac:

Advertisement