Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bioshock Infinite

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

From the joystiq article:
    Like the 1960's space program, Columbia is a testament to American ingenuity, technology, ideals and, yes, strength.

Colour me excited! Some fresh social commentary and a new setting in Bioshock is a wonderful prospect. Let's hope the satire and commentary is as strong this time around, as well as the gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Since I loved Bioshock 1+2, much pant-soiling occured. Granted it does sound a bit like "Bioshock....in the sky!!!!!!" with the powers being similar but as long as it plays well who cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I played Bioshock and B2 for the story more than anything else! If the story in this one is half as good as Bioshock1 i'll be a happy happy man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Den85

While I still haven't played Bioshock 2 (its sitting on my shelf) I adored Bioshock. Still, we need a different location other than Rapture as this looks quite interesting. I see their still using Adam though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Over on the Xbox forum they are saying its too similar to Bioshock and theres another thread 'Bioshock 3 Announced', it couldn't be further from Bioshock I'm surprised its even called Bioshock rolleyes:

A message from Ken Levine(Writer of Bioshock) reading this it seems the name Bioshock has much deeper meaning, my money is that this is Ken Levine's Final Fantasy and all his weird atmospheric/social commentary type of games will be realeased under the name Bioshock. But the theory is busted by Bioshock 2...Strange but interesting.

Also 2012? 5 years to develop it? I was sure this was 2011.

Edit 2: Its the Shadow of the Colossus to Ico is a better example than Final Fantasy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Looks interesting. I wasn't tempted by bioshock 2 but this looks different enough to warrant attention. I'll be on the lookout for followups. Is that still the Unreal 3 engine? Looks nice. Then again, it usually does.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

Looks amazing! Rapture had an incredible atmosphere to it and the art-deco style of the interiors really brought the city to life, but you could never really get a proper look at its exterior. You only ever saw silhouetted outlines of its skyline (or should that be sealine?) through the murky depths. But in this trailer, everything's so colourful and well lit that you should get a great impression of floating Columbia's outdoor sights and scenes.

Love the idea of a city in the sky. Rapture wasn't exactly the heaven on earth it was built to be, but this city very much is, in a literal sense! :p

The Icarus reference at the end of the trailer is exciting... they'd better introduce some awesome Plasmids, like ones that let you fly about the city using genetically augmented wings. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm a little wary that it's just a sequel for the sake of having a sequel, which I kind of felt Bioshock 2 was. It was really just more of the same. Hopefully this won't just be the same thing but in the air, and they put a little more innovation in there somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

The fact that Levine is working on this had me excited.

Didn't care for Bioshock 2 as I felt there was nothing to add to the first game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Still havent played Bioshock 2, even though i loved Bioshock. Trailer looks good, although there's not much to go by. I'd say they'll do the floating city well, as they did a fantastic job with Rapture.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

yes daddy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

So far I dont see much tieing this to the original Bioshock, so I'm looking at this as just the next Irrational game with a Bioshock logo slapped on for brand power for the time being. I'm sure it'll be thematically similar but will it be set in the same universe/timeline as 1 and 2? I'm kinda hoping we see a young andrew ryan, he'd be a kid/teenager in the 1910's.

But yeah really looking forward to this, so far away though. Better be a Q1 2012 release!

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Bioshock + Up! How can it go wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

robby^5 wrote: »
    So far I dont see much tieing this to the original Bioshock, so I'm looking at this as just the next Irrational game with a Bioshock logo slapped on for brand power for the time being. I'm sure it'll be thematically similar but will it be set in the same universe/timeline as 1 and 2? I'm kinda hoping we see a young andrew ryan, he'd be a kid/teenager in the 1910's.

But yeah really looking forward to this, so far away though. Better be a Q1 2012 release!
    Well it has Big Daddies killing people, so I'm assuming it's some sort of invasion of this rival city.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Just reading up on this and it says its set a few decades before Bioshock, So in that case how do they have ADAM if this was discovered by Ryan and his crew at the bottom of the ocean after creating Rapture,

I think in the trailer when the guy is falling i saw Andrew Ryan on a balcony though, am i wrong in thinking that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

allanb49 wrote: »
    Just reading up on this and it says its set a few decades before Bioshock, So in that case how do they have ADAM if this was discovered by Ryan and his crew at the bottom of the ocean after creating Rapture,

I think in the trailer when the guy is falling i saw Andrew Ryan on a balcony though, am i wrong in thinking that.

Probably wrong as Ryan hadn't been born in the time that this is supposedly set, or at least that's what I've read.

You're probably playing as Andrew Ryan or his dad. That's what the big twist is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Monotype wrote: »
    You're probably playing as Andrew Ryan or his dad. That's what the big twist is.

O no they're not let M. Night Shamalan right the script are they

Oohh.

Interesting. Bioshock 2 wasn't a scratch on the original, so hopefully this won't be continuing on a downward spiral.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Monotype wrote: »

I hope they are a little cleverer with their writing than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

As long as it doesn't have the same twist bioshock had i'll give it a go. It was pointed out to me recently that the same twist was in system shock!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭KilOit

New Video is up, says it's gameplay but doubt that tbh, still interesting though.

Edit, better quality here, compression is a little off on youtube.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ten-minute-demo-bioshock-infinite/704931?type=flv

He doesn't seem like a particularly nice guy. Is he half mad from adam? So the bottle was the crow power?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Looks like gameplay to me just controlled by the developer. Looks fantastic I have to say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

that looks friggin sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

That thing at the end makes a Big Daddy look like cuddly bunny...

Well holy shiiit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Off to change pants after that :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Looks like gameplay to me just controlled by the developer. Looks fantastic I have to say.

More like how Bioshock 1+2 ran, with little cutscenes dropped in here and there amongst the shooting.

Wonder if the game will be as linear as B1+2 or the skyrails can be traversed to explore Columbia.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I hope it is an linear tbh. Certain games are much more suited to a linear setting, and i think Bioshock is one of them. It'm more about good gmaeplay and story that appealed to me in the previous games, and good story is easier to achive in a linear environment.

Advertisement