Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

kingtut wrote: »
    Aww no what happened to the last guy? He sounded perfect :(

The distance was too much, just didn't have the time to see each other and it wasn't really fair on either of us. Still friends with him though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Galvasean wrote: »
    Got an email reply from a girl the other day. Didn't remember messaging her in the first page so glanced back at my outbox to find out when I mailed her.... November? What am I, your friggin' 63rd back up plan!?!?!? :mad:

But was she on the site during that time? I was e-mailed by guys on the site I use when I had suspended my subscription! Or it could be that she hadn't logged on since november. At least find out before writing her off.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

mood wrote: »
    But was she on the site during that time? I was e-mailed by guys on the site I use when I had suspended my subscription! Or it could be that she hadn't logged on since november. At least find out before writing her off.

A just question. I do recall seeing her online in between. She may have just missed the mail or something and only got around to reading it much much later. I replied alright. I'll wait n' see how this goes. I'll give her a month to reply to me - tops, After that, no dice :pac:

Here's an odd one. Had a mail waiting for me on CS from a gay guy in America. Tells me he voted my pic a 9 (interestingly if you look at my stats gay men seem to find me significantly more attractive than women in general) and challenged me to see if I was secure enough to correspond with a gay man.
    Of course I replied. If only I were gay..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Here's an odd one. Had a mail waiting for me on CS from a gay guy in America. Tells me he voted my pic a 9 (interestingly if you look at my stats gay men seem to find me significantly more attractive than women in general) and challenged me to see if I was secure enough to correspond with a gay man.

hes luring you in :eek: quick someone post tits

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Of course I replied. If only I were gay..

Ah but he tricked you. If you were truly secure you wouldn't have felt the need to respond to prove that you were secure. :pac:

The man obviously is a master of mind manipulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

...If you were truly secure you wouldn't have felt the need to respond to prove that you were secure...

Like tough guys in pink shirts! It's not enough to be a tough guy, you must show people how secure you are in your toughness by donning effeminate colours!

I mainly hang out listening to the Smiths, talking about my feelings and I for one am secure enough to admit that I'm afraid of pink shirts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

I've started talking to a really sweet girl on POF recently. She's lovely *blushes*. Gotta love that site! Hope she's not on boards lol :o

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

I've started talking to a really sweet girl on POF recently. She's lovely *blushes*. Gotta love that site! Hope she's not on boards lol :o

Aw that's so sweet :) hope it goes well for you & her :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

its actually me big boy ;):D:pac:

• Advertisement

hes luring you in :eek: quick someone post tits

Turned into a creepy weirdo. Wants me to explicitly describe my sexual history.
    Damnit, this must be what it's like to be a woman on these sites. All is forgiven, I understand your plight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

Got an email reply from a girl the other day. Didn't remember messaging her in the first page so glanced back at my outbox to find out when I mailed her.... November? What am I, your friggin' 63rd back up plan!?!?!? :mad:

That sounds like something i would do!! Honestly i wouldnt see it as being a "backup" plan. Like alot of girls said here, girls can get 100s of emails and alot just get deleted and never opened. Then when they are wittled down to a few guys we can finally read the emails.

As I said before, I get overwhelmed with all the emails, that I dont have time to read any of them, because spend time deleting them....when I finally do get to read them, a month or 2 has prob pass. Personally to me...ive not even been on a date because there is just too many emails I dont know where to begin. I wouldnt take it personally...doesnt mean this girl has dated lots of guys at all, she might just have had lots of emails to read (talking from my experience).

The fact the girl responded to your email is brillant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Turned into a creepy weirdo. Wants me to explicitly describe my sexual history.
    Damnit, this must be what it's like to be a woman on these sites. All is forgiven, I understand your plight!

I had a male admirer much like the one you have been talking about. After the first email I just thought the "that's a nice compliment, but no thanks I am straight" reply would end it. But he sent another and when I didn't reply, he got very weird! Though I didn't really expect the "I bet you would look good in a school uniform" comments to start....my first ever blocked person on a dating site. I felt odd yet mildly proud :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I've had a girl send me a message saying it's a pity i'm not into women. she didn't get creepy though. It did make me smile for the day though!

i've had one guy message me, then when i looked at his profile, obviously he saw that i looked at his but forgot he'd messaged me, then a week or so later sent me another message like an original one, saying ooh i saw you looked at my profile.

i don't get anywhere near as many as the other girls here seem to :( but the ones i do get i don't respond to. And I've been trying to figure out why. I think i just couldn't be bothered, unless i am interested. I've had a number of guys ignore me too, so no jumping down my throat about that one, please. just being honest. It'd get fairly repetetive to keep sending the same reply which is basically going to say i'm not interested, when not responding says the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

i don't get anywhere near as many as the other girls here seem to :( but the ones i do get i don't respond to. And I've been trying to figure out why. I think i just couldn't be bothered, unless i am interested. I've had a number of guys ignore me too, so no jumping down my throat about that one, please. just being honest. It'd get fairly repetetive to keep sending the same reply which is basically going to say i'm not interested, when not responding says the same thing.

Have you replied to any at all yet or do you mean you just don't reply to the guys you aren't interested in? I don't really think there's a right wrong way really to say you are not interested to somebody online or in real life, will always be hard to say you are not interested.

A pity Apple haven't invented an App that finds people that are mutually attracted to each other :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Have you replied to any at all yet or do you mean you just don't reply to the guys you aren't interested in? I don't really think there's a right wrong way really to say you are not interested to somebody online or in real life, will always be hard to say you are not interested.

A pity Apple haven't invented an App that finds people that are mutually attracted to each other :pac:

well yeah that's what I thought I said, the ones I'm not interested in I don't reply to. so the ones I am, I do. I don't suppose it's so nice to be not replying but my time is more valuable to me than being overly nice to strangers.

There is a feature like that on OKcupid. If someone rates you a 4 or a 5 it emails you a list of a few people to rate. If you rate highly the one who rated you highly it emails the two of you to say you have mutually 'liked' each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭SarahMs

online dating has always reminding me of a stock market........ everyone shouting trying to outbid and the quiet suspicious ones.......... not my thing

SarahMs wrote: »
    online dating has always reminding me of a stock market........ everyone shouting trying to outbid and the quiet suspicious ones.......... not my thing

You should try smooch.com, it's more like a meat market! You get credits which can be used to purchase ad space on the front page.

*please note I am not recommending smooch to anyone. It's a truly awful site

i just saw u on the front page right there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

SarahMs wrote: »
    i just saw u on the front page right there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, that spot cost me 60 internet credits!

cheap date dude. cheap date dude!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

On the downside of internet dating, the people I said that recognised me from pof have since decided to make stuff up and bad mouth me to our mutual friends

luckily most of them have given me the benefit of the doubt but its like they thought i was going to talk **** about then and they decided to pre empt it and go hell for leather on me. bit annoying but the people that matter believe me.

honestly I never though `i would warn someone against something like this but I never thought it would backfire either and i guess it has so just be careful

I remember a little while back a guy I know took a screen grab of another guy I know's dating site profile and posted it up on Facebook saying, "BAAAAAHHHHAAHAHAHAA!!!!!!!!!!!!" or something like that - basically trying to humiliate the guy. Kind of backfired on him when the first comment on the pic was, "Does your girlfriend know you like to check out single guys on dating sites?"

edit: I suppose if you don't want it to come back and bite you don't say things on dating sites you wouldn't say in public (as with boards). If you're the type to be embarrassed if people you knew saw your profile, then simply don't use dating sites as they clearly aren't for you.

I remember a little while back a guy I know took a screen grab of another guy I know's dating site profile and posted it up on Facebook saying, "BAAAAAHHHHAAHAHAHAA!!!!!!!!!!!!" or something like that - basically trying to humiliate the guy. Kind of backfired on him when the first comment on the pic was, "Does your girlfriend know you like to check out single guys on dating sites?"

He asked for that! And he most likely had to join the site and create a profile himself to even find the other guys profile. I bet he had fun trying to explain that to his girlfriend. Some people are just nasty.

TBH, if you have 'friends' who would try use such things as a means to badmouth you then you're better off disassociating yourself from them. And more the fool to anyone who believes them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I do not know if it has been said here already or not but if you are looking for social aspect then why not go out with a boards.ie meet up (if there is one in your area)?

I imagine that you will have more in common with people posting in similar fora, to you, than a random profile

I do not know if it has been said here already or not but if you are looking for social aspect then why not go out with a boards.ie meet up (if there is one in your area)?

I imagine that you will have more in common with people posting in similar fora, to you, than a random profile

At a boards meet you are still meeting random strangers. Thats find if you just want to make friends. I think most people don't join dating sites to make friends. They join to 'date' someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

mood wrote: »
    At a boards meet you are still meeting random strangers. Thats find if you just want to make friends. I think most people don't join dating sites to make friends. They join to 'date' someone.

Random but with a proven interest commonality.
    Also I was directing that comment to the people that have stated that they like to just expand their social circle, using these facilities.

• Advertisement

Random but with a proven interest commonality.
    Also I was directing that comment to the people that have stated that they like to just expand their social circle, using these facilities.

Being a boards user isn't much of a common interest IMO but meets could be a good way to make friends.

I thinks it's misleading other dating site users if you are only there to try to make friends. They are called 'dating site' for a reason. I would be annoyed if a guy wasted my time e-mailing and meeting up etc if he was sure he had no interest in me romantically from the start.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement