Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

There seem to be a lot of profiles that are looking for friends as opposed to dating.
    Bloody search cloggers. I've plenty of friends. Need me some romance! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

mood wrote: »
    Being a boards user isn't much of a common interest IMO but meets could be a good way to make friends.
    Well there are people regularly that post in the Star Trek, Films and some other fora that I post in. I would take this to mean that they have a genuine interest and knowledge, of issues that I am interested in.
    I thinks it's misleading other dating site users if you are only there to try to make friends. They are called 'dating site' for a reason. I would be annoyed if a guy wasted my time e-mailing and meeting up etc if he was sure he had no interest in me romantically from the start.

Which is exactly why I suggested the meet ups, as I noticed more than one person here mention "social aspects" over dating, as the only reason

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Galvasean wrote: »
    There seem to be a lot of profiles that are looking for friends as opposed to dating.
    Bloody search cloggers. I've plenty of friends. Need me some romance! :rolleyes:

Maybe it depends on the site you choose. The site I used was specifically for dating. It was a paid site (taken more seriously than free ones IMO).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

TBH, if you have 'friends' who would try use such things as a means to badmouth you then you're better off disassociating yourself from them. And more the fool to anyone who believes them.

man i shouldn't post while drunk

ye my friends believe me thats all good but its just annoying when people are talking **** behind your back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

PeakOutput wrote: »
    On the downside of internet dating, the people I said that recognised me from pof have since decided to make stuff up and bad mouth me to our mutual friends

luckily most of them have given me the benefit of the doubt but its like they thought i was going to talk **** about then and they decided to pre empt it and go hell for leather on me. bit annoying but the people that matter believe me.

honestly I never though `i would warn someone against something like this but I never thought it would backfire either and i guess it has so just be careful

something similar happened in my job a girl found one of the lads profile on some website so she emailed the link to everyone,i dont understand why someone has to do that:confused:

• Advertisement

something similar happened in my job a girl found one of the lads profile on some website so she emailed the link to everyone,i dont understand why someone has to do that:confused:

there is still a massive stigma to it in ireland i guess, boards users aren't exactly your typical irish person

PeakOutput wrote: »
    there is still a massive stigma to it in ireland i guess, boards users aren't exactly your typical irish person

the funny thing is you would find most people have met someone online

the funny thing is you would find most people have met someone online

I would say a lot of people think that a dating website and adding someone who looks cute on facebook and chatting to them are worlds apart

ive never used pof or match.com or anything like that but i have used social networks with search features so ive never understood why people turn noses at dating sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Online dating sucks :(

• Advertisement

kingtut wrote: »

Wanna talk about it champ? :/

*slides over a beer*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Wanna talk about it champ? :/

*slides over a beer*

It's not worth talking about but thanks dude.

I never so no to a beer though *clinks glasses*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

oh no... things with herself didnt work out so well then? :(

thinking i'll just delete mine altogether actually

It's not worth talking about but thanks dude.

I never so no to a beer though *clinks glasses*

ah do tell ill get the ball rolling once got stood up by a girl i met online.......in portadown :eek: halfway there i get told shes working and im fooked had to wait 3 hours for a train back.

:P Sounds just as bad as 'normal' dating so

just had my first... ahm... i wanna say creep, but that's probably going to stir... sexually explicit request email.... yes that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

just had my first... ahm... i wanna say creep, but that's probably going to stir... sexually explicit request email.... yes that.

the beans must be spilled!:pac:

papagormo wrote: »
    the beans must be spilled!:pac:

well he asked me things like am I into mild / wild things - "mild would be subtly exposing your suspenders/stockings.. and wild to enjoy the presence of third parties from time to time.." that was what he started with... this is what he ended with - "=) well, if you would see the results it could bring up (or down) on you, you would be so excited on not only doing it, but repeating it as well :)

how soon would you like to meet up for a drink and a game of pool ;)"

needless to say i threw myself at him :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

oh jaysus!
    and the sad thing is, he more than likely thinks thats A1 flirting too.
    gobsheeeite!

Still though, might get a drink out of it if you play your cards right!

it would absolutely not be worth it. i mean the confidence is great and all, and he's not bad looking, but a bit full on for the beginnings

• Advertisement

papagormo wrote: »
    oh jaysus!
    and the sad thing is, he more than likely thinks thats A1 flirting too.
    gobsheeeite!

Still though, might get a drink out of it if you play your cards right!

He probably one of the guys who come on here complaining the girls don't reply etc!!!

Unfortunately I've had d*ickheads like this e-mail me on occasion as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

What do you do if / when you meet someone you know or like from POF etc. in the real world? Do we all become shrinking violets again? I passed a few girls from POF in the street and I've seen them clock me too. I've never got 'up close' to one on a night out etc

EDIT: sorry, maybe this has been asked already...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

...just had my first creep...
    ...He probably one of the guys who come on here complaining the girls don't reply etc...

That would mean then that the majority of men on dating sites, including half the guys on this thread are creeps.

cantdecide wrote: »
    What do you do if / when you meet someone you know or like from POF etc. in the real world? Do we all become shrinking violets again? I passed a few girls from POF in the street and I've seen them clock me too. I've never got 'up close' to one on a night out etc

EDIT: sorry, maybe this has been asked already...

Whatever you don't don't approach a girl on the street or in a pub you saw on a dating site. If she doesn't want to talk to you via the dating site she won't want to talk to you in real life and might not want her friends etc knowing she is on a dating site. I have seem a guy who e-mailed me on a dating site in a shop. I ignored his first e-mail (not compatible at all), I replied to his second e-mail politely explaining why I didn't think we were compatible and had to ignore the eight e-mails the followed. If he approached me in the shop I wouldn't have liked it one bit.

8 follow up emails? If I were you and that guy approached me IRL I'd run away! :eek:

cantdecide wrote: »
    That would mean then that the majority of men on dating sites, including half the guys on this thread are creeps.

No it wouldn't. It means that generally girls with think a guy who sends an e-mail with sexual requests is a creep. I'm sure not all the guys who complain the girls don't reply are like this but a minority possibly are.

It's important to be sure you only contact people who's criteria you match as well as the other way around. If you don't it is probably the main reason girls don't reply (as well as no photo and profile not filled out or poorly filled out IMO).

8 follow up emails? If I were you and that guy approached me IRL I'd run away! :eek:

I hide behind shelves! Either he just e-mails everyone on the site to such an extent that he didn't remember contacting me in the first place or he is a bit on the weird side (most likely reason)!!!

Is there a way to block someone from emailing you without them knowing about it, like say an 'ignore filter'?

Is there a way to block someone from emailing you without them knowing about it, like say an 'ignore filter'?

That depends on the site I would think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

well he asked me things like am I into mild / wild things - "mild would be subtly exposing your suspenders/stockings.. and wild to enjoy the presence of third parties from time to time.." that was what he started with... this is what he ended with - "=) well, if you would see the results it could bring up (or down) on you, you would be so excited on not only doing it, but repeating it as well :)

how soon would you like to meet up for a drink and a game of pool ;)"

needless to say i threw myself at him :rolleyes:

That's sounds like the most formal/polite yet creepy email possible. The presence of third parties line sounds like an insurance ad.

So when's the wedding? :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement