Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Joined OkCupid.... again.... :D

I'm a yo yo dater :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

^doesnt seem to be many people on okcupid. personally i dont see the attraction.

POF has definitely had more selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

^doesnt seem to be many people on okcupid. personally i dont see the attraction.

POF has definitely had more selection.

I wouldnt go near POF with a barge pole!
    Mostly lads looking for their bit from my experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

magneticimpulse when someone e-mails me I quickly read it then I check out there profile to see if I think I would like them or we would be suited. I only reply if I think we are suited as I don't have time to reply to all the messages I get. There is not point replying if your not interested as it only ends up with some guy trying to change your mind and bombarding you with e-mails etc! Unfortunately I mainly get contacted by guy who wouldn't be compatible with me. Most guys only look at your photo and don't read your profile!

Also only use one site at a time!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭embracingLife

POF is best described as "shooting fish in a barrel" for women! For a man you'd have to be a total catch to get girls on that site.
    Yes,guilty as charged,I've been on there and it'll do your head in! Although there are lots of good looking women,it's just like life where they are bombarded by everyone!
    I've been told by a woman I know who uses it that she and her friends just go down the list of men and pick and choose purely by their age and photo! Then the'll have a quick look at the profile to see can he string a few words together and then she'll message him.

Stick to going into a pub and just get on with your life,improve yourself and do what makes you happy instead of trying to "impress" women,then thats when you'll meet her! So,I've been told!

• Advertisement

POF is best described as "shooting fish in a barrel" for women! For a man you'd have to be a total catch to get girls on that site.
    Yes,guilty as charged,I've been on there and it'll do your head in! Although there are lots of good looking women,it's just like life where they are bombarded by everyone!
    I've been told by a woman I know who uses it that she and her friends just go down the list of men and pick and choose purely by their age and photo! Then the'll have a quick look at the profile to see can he string a few words together and then she'll message him.

Stick to going into a pub and just get on with your life,improve yourself and do what makes you happy instead of trying to "impress" women,then thats when you'll meet her! So,I've been told!

I've had some good luck on POF and I wouldn't describe myself as a catch whatsoever. Maybe I'm just lucky.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

hmmm i can understand why ye wouldnt reply if ye didnt have an interest and just leave'em.

but i never look at the profiles for people who have "replies rarely" or "replies selectivly" becuase i get a sense that they are unapproachable.

not digging in over it... thats just how it appears to me.

never considered that they would be swamped by mails.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

Was completely on another planet today with the happiness from it all and the success from online dating. smile beaming from side to side, just full of happiness inside.

walking down the street past some trees...saw a little red squirrel bouncing around...then wham he decided to cross the road and i heard a whallop. car wasnt driving too fast and squirrel looked like he made it but i didnt see him reappear. went over to see if i could save him, but was too late, his guts were splattered on the road.

that definitely brought me back down to earth. shame really, was having a fantastic day...everything was perfect, potential new guy in life, boss really happy and impressed with work......

ah well...my moment of happiness today might have been at the expense of the little red squirrel. poor little squirrel...especially a red one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Evening all.While experiences of,or opinions on online dating are welcome from anyone to share,the thread is veering towards how to deal with 100s of messages from blokes.Being that this is tGC,maybe keep it to PM.Also MI,while Im glad to know you are in good form,the above post is completely OT,there is a happy/sad/emotions thread in tLL that is a more suitable outlet.Thankees!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Tried pof at home and got on ok, met up with one girl but she wasn't for me, lovely girl though. I found I had to look north to get a good selection and as I'm from Monaghan that suited me perfectly. Ended up getting back with the ex so stopped using it! I always put an effort into my mails and got a fair few replys, but I probably didn't go with the absolute stunners as such but I wasn't mailing people I wasn't attracted to! Did get some one line openers and most of the time I didn't bother replying, there are some weird girls on it I do have to admit.

Out in New Zealand now and joined one for a laugh and to see if I could meet friends/more. Was on it for a week and got two dates! One of them was brilliant, ended up staying and seeing her the next night to, she has moved away for a while but will be back so I'll probably see her again. The other was ok, did see her a second time but cut contact then, wasn't for me. Lovely girl though. Maybe it's the Irish in me that helps, and if I'm been honest I do play that card but I have to say I've had a very good experience here with it. Haven't been back online since!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I've had some good luck on POF and I wouldn't describe myself as a catch whatsoever. Maybe I'm just lucky.

I had good luck on that site as well (im female).
    However i never emailed the guys first

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    I had good luck on that site as well (im female).
    However i never emailed the guys first

Can I ask why that is?From what Ive heard or read is that alot of females dont/wont initiate first contact,kinda defeats the purpose of signing up to a dating site in the first place.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

To be honest i got so many emails from guys, that i didnt have time to go through everyone's profiles and start emaling them first.

Plus i couldnt face rejection :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Snoopy1 wrote: »

Plus i couldnt face rejection :D

You aint the first girl to say that on this thread.
    We men have been getting that for eons! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Galvasean wrote: »
    You aint the first girl to say that on this thread.
    We men have been getting that for eons! :o

yeah starting to feel very sorry for men. I'm not a bitch about it though, well I try not to be. but yeah writing back to someone who's emailed you, I do only get like one a day probably (:() but I'd be saying the same thing all the time so I don't bother. feeling bad about that now though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I rarely send the first message... :confused:

I think the two sites are each good in their own ways, in general its like hitting a target blindfolded. I don't hold much hope in it but hell, it's just another way to meet people and not an alternative IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Dord wrote: »
    ...I don't hold much hope in it but hell, it's just another way to meet people and not an alternative IMO...

Quite right.

I always knew that the 'conventional' methods of meeting the fairer sex (especially in this country) were never going to be for me. With that in mind, I always kept online dating as kind of a back up plan. I made the mistake of getting my hopes up, unfortunately...

As a private sort of person, I did agonize about it all and decided to take the plunge and jumped in with both feet. I did tons of 'research', I suppose and tried to do everything 'right'. I could have used this thread as a laundry list. Pics, thoughtful first contacts etc. etc. but I got nothing but tumbleweeds.

I never had major delusions about myself but it really knocked my confidence there for a while. It did make me a little cynical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kem3

ya i tryd payin for 1 though, but d whole world wont take my perfectly gud laser card for sum reason. eejits

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

An interesting point is that of how many boardsies have unknowingly messaged other boardsies on dating sites? Another interesting question is that of how many have been mis-treated only to come on here and freely begin chatting openly amongst each other again… Such is life, I suppose.

Is a Boards.ie singles section totally beyond consideration I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

index.php.png?1267048195
    thats me when i actually get a message online
    then it turns out to be a cam fake
    fffuuuu.jpg

• Advertisement

cantdecide wrote: »
    Is a Boards.ie singles section totally beyond consideration I wonder?

Its been suggested many times before and has been knocked back by the powers that be every time.

Its just not workable.

Example

Guy or girl A messages girl or guy B.

Girl or Guy B blank Guy or Girl A.

Guy or Girl A (the blanked one) begins stalking the spurner and flaming them across other boards forums.

Thats just one of the many many reasons why it isnt IMO at all feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

People post a lot of personal stuff here and log on to vent etc so unless a boards dating section required different user names etc it wouldn't be a good idea.

Its been suggested many times before and has been knocked back by the powers that be every time.

Its just not workable.

Example

Guy or girl A messages girl or guy B.

Girl or Guy B blank Guy or Girl A.

Guy or Girl A (the blanked one) begins stalking the spurner and flaming them across other boards forums.

Thats just one of the many many reasons why it isnt IMO at all feasible.

omg i do that once and you hold it against me forever :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

Have decided to give POF a go again, wish me luck in finding the guys who are normal on it. I've already spotted a guy who I know is married with kids on it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Can't understand the love for POF. Of the three i've been on it was by far the worst site.

faceparty used to be a great site especially with the chatroom

Can't understand the love for POF. Of the three i've been on it was by far the worst site.

Not so much love for it however with the amount of members it has,coupled with the fact it is free then its not really that hard to understand at all IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I think a big problem with dating sites is people's expectations, namely:

a. it's for 'losers' or people who are desperate
    b. because of a if you do go on it you should definitely met someone (so when it doesn't happen people get frustated)

My advice would be to use them as just another avenue to meet single people of the opposite (or same) sex, don't go in definitely thinking it will work but go in open minded.

And to detractors of online dating who dismiss it altogether: in my experience it's probably the 3rd most common way of couples meeting each other behind meeting in work/ college or being introduced by friends. and wayyyyy ahead of meeting someone in a bar/ nightclub.

PS I met my partner online through plentyoffish

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

mariebeth wrote: »
    Have decided to give POF a go again, wish me luck in finding the guys who are normal on it. I've already spotted a guy who I know is married with kids on it...

Aww no what happened to the last guy? He sounded perfect :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Got an email reply from a girl the other day. Didn't remember messaging her in the first page so glanced back at my outbox to find out when I mailed her.... November? What am I, your friggin' 63rd back up plan!?!?!? :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement