Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you hate about Irish people

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Becoming hostile when a foreigner criticises the country instead of debating the points he or she makes.

It comes across as being insecure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Languages are very very rarely the same from region to region. Ever hear of accents or dialects? Language is something so intrinsically human that it evolves quickly from place to place.

Agreed. The only hobbies a lot of people have here are football, GAA etc. I think our school system is to blame for this. Very little choice when it comes to extra-curricular activities.

Seriously, have a look at any listings for what's on in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

How nothing is safe from theft, you are just waiting for something you don't have welded down to be stolen from you.

Becoming hostile when a foreigner criticises the country instead of debating the points he or she makes.

]

It would be standard. Try taking that rant posted here - you could apply it to most countries with a bit of editing - to a British forum. Or elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Sadly, that is a typical response when you criticise people here.

This is criticism..........
    Originally Posted by HarrisonLennon viewpost.gif
    Weak..

Stand up for nothing. Take everything from the dáil up the a**e

But this..........

So wtf is "heighth"? Sorry folks, but it isn't actually a word. By the way, it has the 'th' sound, so when you say you can't pronounce 'th', you're just telling more BS.

If you're going to take English as your first language, you should really learn how to speak it.

None of you has a frickin clue how to read a clock, apparently.

Please, realise you're not amazing, with 'the craic'. You don't all have to try and be friggin comedians or be self-deprecating.
    Grow a spine and get respect for being you, not some clown figure.

So many Irish turn into bull****ting, stupid, lazy, repressed, spineless, boring, people because they're too scared to discover and be the people that they can be.

Learn to recognise and speak the truth. Realise that when you say 'spoof', the word you should be using is 'lie'.

Take responsibility for your actions.
    Have respect for others (e.g. don't drop your litter in the street, piss in alleyways or get in someone's face when they refuse to let you engage them).

Celebrate your differences, rather than coercing your friends/family/peers into such ugly conformity.

Stop sweeping things under the mat and complaining for a million years. Pull finger and actually attend to the problems in your life.

Get some hobbies that don't involve 'going down the pub for a pint'.

Grow the hell up and get over the schoolyard insults and gossipy, small-town mentality.

Celebrate your achievers, instead of trying to cut them down.

Forget about celebrity. You can't all be celebrities, and guess what? You're not celebrities.

Don't rest on your laurels and go on about your amazing artists and musicians. Joyce died 70 years ago (for example).

DO SOMETHING that doesn't just involve personal gratification.

If you do a favor, don't expect something back. Favors with strings have another name - trades.

Mind your own frickin business.

Stop blocking the footpath when you're having a good old chitchat in the street. Other people need to get by.

When you're going, just say goodbye and GO!

Grow the hell up.

Listen more, and quit it with the damn jibber-jabber. Start using your brains more and your mouths less.

STFU.

......... sounds like a bitter little man/woman

• Advertisement

The Aussie wrote: »
    How nothing is safe from theft, you are just waiting for something you don't have welded down to be stolen from you.

Now this I agree with. Dublin city centre is a joke. The suburbs are ok, but we work and shop in places where nothing is safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

I read it less as a valid criticism and more as an incoherent rant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

No it isn't.

The poster is simply throwing out banal and non-specific examples of supposed Irish traits. Hell, he could be talking about Manchester for all I know.

I realise you cannot quantify my personal experiences, but this happens A LOT more in Dublin and Ireland than in the UK or mainland Europe, Ireland, especially Dublin is full of unfunny cnuts who think they're wise arses, some of the more distasteful threads and comments in AH vouch for that.

The topic is 'What do you hate about Irish people'. Perhaps I should have posted in one titled 'Criticism of the Irish'.
    I'm not a hater - more like a fish out of water. It is kind of a mad country..

You're obviously not comfortable here.

Do you honestly expect us to encourage you to stay? I'm assuming you would rather we simply agreed with your nonsensical rant, then proceed to engage in the old Irish past time of self-loathing.

You're not happy here. It's unhealthy to stay.

The topic is 'What do you hate about Irish people'. Perhaps I should have posted in one titled 'Criticism of the Irish'.

I once lived for a month in a city I didn't like. For a month. For. A. Month.

I left because I didn't like it. It's a valid call when someone posts a quasi-racist rant about how he hates where he is living to ask; why, then , stay. Particularly if not from the area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

I read it less as a valid criticism and more as an incoherent rant.
    Exactly. Fair enough a foreigner coming to Ireland and sees things that annoy them.

That post was beyond ridiculous and should really leave before he suffers a coronary with rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

english is our language

you can tell because we're all speaking english here now

i'd bet good money that I don't have that most of you couldn't even hold the most basic of conversations in your supposed "native" language.

Bhuel tabhar dom an airgead anois, go tapa.

Before I forget my native language, and lose the bet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

You are missing the point about how the dropping if the th, most noticeable in three ( from trí ) came from. Aren't you. Yes. You are.

No actually the lack of 'th' is particularly noticeable in three because the following 'r' after it. The trí in Irish is coincidental. A lot of Irish people don't actually pronounce the 'th' at all - in any words.

Say faith and fate. Most Irish people won't actually pronounce them differently. The (de), they (dey), there (der), Perth (Pert), weather (weder).

However you're right in saying that it's related to our historic language. The 'th' sound doesn't exist in Irish. That's why it never caught on here. Most other languages are the same. That's why you hear the likes of French or German people say 'z' inside of 'th'. (FIRE ZE MISSLES). It feels more natural to them. Italians use an 'f' (De Italian finks about-a de pasta) and we just omit the 'h' part entirely. (Dem ones over der) :pac:

I agree with you there. It's almost like "aah we don't want to change or be criticised. Now leave us in our small minded backwater if you don't agree with us".

Seriously, have a look at any listings for what's on in Dublin.

I'm not saying it's not out there I'm just saying that your average Irish person doesn't have many hobbies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Make your own minds up folks............
    Originally Posted by sethasaurus

ire [ahyuh r]:
    noun - intense anger; wrath.

land [lænd]:
    a. a country, region, or area
    b. the people of a country, etc

I personally haven't met too many of what I would call 'real men' in this country. There are a few, definitely, but more often than not, I am confronted with what I call 'broken robots' - the people (men and women) who will never be enlightened and also sadly, choose to avoid enlightenment for the sake of peer pressure, fear of reprisal or ostracism. They turn into, angry, suspicious, money-grubbing or sick people and live that way until death.
    Manners, respect and responsibility are just not taught by a large part of the population and it shows, generation to generation.

Of course, I know it's a global phenomenon, but by sheer numbers... Ireland sure has some kinda problems.
    I have personally noticed that since coming here in 2007, I have become hardened and I kind of wish that wasn't necessary.

Just remember to teach your boys that there are worlds apart from this and they don't HAVE TO live in Ireland.
    It is a real shame that decent men-in-the-making must become hard in order to deal with life's (or Ireland's) tortures.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82310219&postcount=130

I live in Dublin.
    I keep myself out of the city centre after about 9pm.

Waiting for a bus on Suffolk St can be a bit dodgy. I was attacked there once and had clothes ripped, etc before I repelled the guy.

When I came here, I thought people were wearing hoodies because of the cold (yes, how naive).

Wicklow St should not be dangerous (but obviously it's not safer than anywhere else).

Most cities have 'no-go' zones. If you keep away from the bad parts of town, you're fine. Dublin isn't the same. The scum comes to you and they're not always just after your money, they often want a fight as well.

Chip on shoulder......... you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭DenMan

So wtf is "heighth"? Sorry folks, but it isn't actually a word. By the way, it has the 'th' sound, so when you say you can't pronounce 'th', you're just telling more BS.

If you're going to take English as your first language, you should really learn how to speak it.

None of you has a frickin clue how to read a clock, apparently.

Please, realise you're not amazing, with 'the craic'. You don't all have to try and be friggin comedians or be self-deprecating.
    Grow a spine and get respect for being you, not some clown figure.

So many Irish turn into bull****ting, stupid, lazy, repressed, spineless, boring, people because they're too scared to discover and be the people that they can be.

Learn to recognise and speak the truth. Realise that when you say 'spoof', the word you should be using is 'lie'.

Take responsibility for your actions.
    Have respect for others (e.g. don't drop your litter in the street, piss in alleyways or get in someone's face when they refuse to let you engage them).

Celebrate your differences, rather than coercing your friends/family/peers into such ugly conformity.

Stop sweeping things under the mat and complaining for a million years. Pull finger and actually attend to the problems in your life.

Get some hobbies that don't involve 'going down the pub for a pint'.

Grow the hell up and get over the schoolyard insults and gossipy, small-town mentality.

Celebrate your achievers, instead of trying to cut them down.

Forget about celebrity. You can't all be celebrities, and guess what? You're not celebrities.

Don't rest on your laurels and go on about your amazing artists and musicians. Joyce died 70 years ago (for example).

DO SOMETHING that doesn't just involve personal gratification.

If you do a favor, don't expect something back. Favors with strings have another name - trades.

Mind your own frickin business.

Stop blocking the footpath when you're having a good old chitchat in the street. Other people need to get by.

Grow the hell up.

Listen more, and quit it with the damn jibber-jabber. Start using your brains more and your mouths less.

STFU.

It's the truth. Well said sethasaurus. It is true, let's be honest. As a people we never take the time to congratulate ourselves on our achievements, no matter how small they are. We always have a dig at the negative at somebody's else's success. We don't take compliments well from others, we dismiss them quickly. We need to love ourselves more as a people instead of having a colonial mindset in believing that we're second best. We deserve the very best as a nation. Our attitudes to politics, being lied to and women's rights/abortion, the Catholic Church is decades behind most countries, especially those in the First World. We have a blame culture/society where we don't take full responsibility for our own actions when things go wrong in our lives and blame others. It is time we moved on and embraced the 21st Century. Peace!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

This is the only bit I concur with.

I agree with you there. It's almost like "aah we don't want to change or be criticised. Now leave us in our small minded backwater if you don't agree with us".

The reason I abandoned this thread the first time was due to the exceedingly high levels of pretension, and the eagerness to tout the most banal aspects of the human condition as being uniquely Irish.

It's a bizarre and gross form of catharsis which allows the poster for just one moment to raise themselves above the throng of squirming undesirables. Ultimately they're fooling themselves.

The reason I abandoned this thread the first time was due to the exceedingly high levels of pretension, and the eagerness to tout the most banal aspects of the human condition as being uniquely Irish.

It's a bizarre and gross form of catharsis which allows the poster for just one moment to raise themselves above the throng of squirming undesirables. Ultimately they're fooling themselves.

Well first of all I was referring mostly to a specific comment where someone's response to a criticism was "well then get out of Ireland" which is ridiculous. It's a horrible way to deal with criticism and it reeks of small-mindedness and unwillingness to change. But I actually deleted the comment a few minutes ago because after reading some of Sethasaurus's responses I realised I don't actually agree with him and perhaps the "get out of Ireland then" comment might have not been so uncalled for.

EDIT: I also wasn't directing it solely at Irish people. I just hate that attitude regardless of who it's from

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

hate how some of us irish just stare and judge others.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I assume both of these happen everywhere. But I particularly hate them. Especially the first one. Why is it that housewives think it's ok to block a footpath or an aisle in a supermarket?
    You try saying excuse me, then try squeezing past and they won't ****ing move. When they eventually do they give you a dirty look. I came pretty close to punching people when I was doing my xmas shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Im outta here. Goodbye. Hope you get that chip seen to.

I once visited a smallish coastal town in Britain where the taxi driver was at pains to tell me - a Londoner as he saw me as I came off the London train - how backward and parochial the place was. Himself excluded of course. I found it normal. Except for self-loathing taxi drivers.

He was 60 and lived there all his life. As far as he was concerned he was above it all, as far as the neutral world is concerned, part if it. In fact self loathing - the fear that this place is so much worse than anywhere else - is itself parochial. It probably isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sethasaurus

DenMan wrote: »
    It's the truth. Well said sethasaurus. It is true, let's be honest. As a people we never take the time to congratulate ourselves on our achievements, no matter how small they are. We always have a dig at the negative at somebody's else's success. We don't take compliments well from others, we dismiss them quickly. We need to love ourselves more as a people instead of having a colonial mindset in believing that we're second best. We deserve the very best as a nation. Our attitudes to politics, being lied to and women's rights/abortion, the Catholic Church is decades behind most countries, especially those in the First World. We have a blame culture/society where we don't take full responsibility for our own actions when things go wrong in our lives and blame others. It is time we moved on and embraced the 21st Century. Peace!

Peace, alright.

Obviously I'm making generalisations, but it's the experience of a place and it's people that creates the opinion in your head.

I do know some decent, intelligent folk here and it's all the crazy differences that make up the character of a nation, but at the same time, there's no shame in self-improvement.

So often, in encounters with Irish people I am not angered, but disappointed. It is sad when tracksuits in the street yell in my face or try and insult and harass me. Like most people, I want to get on my everyday thing, not be derailed by sensation-monkeys.

This nation has been fighting off all the things that threaten change for a long time (e.g. the British trying to take over), so it is not surprising that for some people, it has filtered into daily life, from the mistrust of the stranger to fear of someone who looks different.

Well first of all I was referring mostly to a specific comment where someone's response to a criticism was "well then get out of Ireland" which is ridiculous. It's a horrible way to deal with criticism and it reeks of small-mindedness and unwillingness to change. But I actually deleted the comment a few minutes ago because after reading some of Sethasaurus's responses I realised I don't actually agree with him and perhaps the "get out of Ireland then" comment might have not been so uncalled for.

I don't usually subscribe to the whole "Get out of Ireland" attitude.

In fact, I would certainly go out of my way to make someone feel at home in Ireland if they honestly felt as if they were the proverbial "fish out of water" through no fault of their own.

There are some people, however, that are simply victims of their own decidedly negative attitudes; people who are simply far too willing to blame others for their own problems. I can assure you that no one could honestly believe that such a rant would be made by someone who made a concerted effort to be positive and productive in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Of all the great diverse food in the world why do a lot of Irish insist on having the same mash potato and gravy everyday? It's like baby food, ick.

Also the over-praise of mediocre Irish music/films just because y'know, it's Irish and sort of alright/inoffensive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

Bunhead foreigners who constantly refer to "in my country we have this and its this size"....................... bunheads

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sethasaurus

Oh yeah, and one more thing - "tanorexics"
    blergh!

• Advertisement

So often, in encounters with Irish people I am not angered, but disappointed. It is sad when tracksuits in the street yell in my face or try and insult and harass me. Like most people, I want to get on my everyday thing, not be derailed by sensation-monkeys.

My Brother recently moved to Australia to seek work.

Within his first few months in the Country he was attacked by a group of locals because he was a "backpacker" and "Irish". They punched and kicked him, then dragged him to the ground before delivering the Coup de grâce - they stamped on his arm and hand until the bones shattered, then left him there. Having to sustain himself financially, this was quite a blow.

His friend was later attacked by the same large mob for similar reasons, and was left with a broken nose and a shattered cheekbone. The Police did nothing.

Just like in Ireland, Australia has a vast spectrum of people and attitudes. My Brother has met racists who advocate the extermination of the indigenous population, and those who wish to rid Australia of all foreign blood. He's also met caring and friendly people, who are more than willing to welcome someone regardless of their background, colour or creed.

He has yet, however, to write a long and incoherent rant condemning the Australian people for his ills, nor does he make sweeping generalizations about an entire population due to some less than positive experiences he's had. You see, there are those who seek positive experiences, and those who dwell on negative ones. I assume you're set firmly in the latter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement