Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you hate about Irish people

Options
1232425262729»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Our national stockholm syndrome. The way we just bend over and take establishment imposed injustice up the ass while berating ourselves for supposedly deserving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Peace, alright.

Obviously I'm making generalisations, but it's the experience of a place and it's people that creates the opinion in your head.

I do know some decent, intelligent folk here and it's all the crazy differences that make up the character of a nation, but at the same time, there's no shame in self-improvement.

So often, in encounters with Irish people I am not angered, but disappointed. It is sad when tracksuits in the street yell in my face or try and insult and harass me. Like most people, I want to get on my everyday thing, not be derailed by sensation-monkeys.

This nation has been fighting off all the things that threaten change for a long time (e.g. the British trying to take over), so it is not surprising that for some people, it has filtered into daily life, from the mistrust of the stranger to fear of someone who looks different.

Where you from bled

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

My Brother recently moved to Australia to seek work.

Within his first few months in the Country he was attacked by a group of locals because he was a "backpacker" and "Irish". They punched and kicked him, then dragged him to the ground before delivering the Coup de grâce - they stamped on his arm and hand until the bones shattered, then left him there. Having to sustain himself financially, this was quite a blow.

His friend was later attacked by the same large mob for similar reasons, and was left with a broken nose and a shattered cheekbone. The Police did nothing.

Just like in Ireland, Australia has a vast spectrum of people and attitudes. My Brother has met racists who advocate the extermination of the indigenous population, and those who wish to rid Australia of all foreign blood. He's also met caring and friendly people, who are more than willing to welcome someone regardless of their background, colour or creed.

He has yet, however, to write a long and incoherent rant condemning the Australian people for his ills, nor does he make sweeping generalizations about an entire population due to some less than positive experiences he's had. You see, there are those who seek positive experiences, and those who dwell on negative ones. I assume you're set firmly in the latter.

Maybe he'll write it after his hand gets better?

(Sorry, couldn't help it. Hope it gets better soon)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Grayson wrote: »
    Maybe he'll write it after his hand gets better?

(Sorry, couldn't help it. Hope it gets better soon)

:D I think the 50°C+ heatwave is the worst of his worries now.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭tightropetom

The constant whining about the economy

• Advertisement

22 (88 for some) pages of giving out about an entire nationality is enough.

/thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement