Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you hate about Irish people

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

I hate generalisations.

This thread is full of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭HarrisonLennon

Sam Kade wrote: »
    So you were the lone ranger I saw wreaking havoc outside the Dáil the day after the budget :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I might have looked alone, but I stood there with 6 others holding placards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Frothy gush that gives off a vibe of ''I'm your best mate ever'' ''I've got your back'' ''I'll look after you'' blah blah

Snap Judgements without investigation, ''that person over there in a workplace or pub ( who'm you've never had a conversation with ) is a knacker / cnut / queer* delete as appropriate

Classism - Working Class people who think they're Middle Class looking down their noses at anyone they perceive as Working Class, a little reminder for them, if you're an Architect / Surgeon / Senior Government Official / Solicitor you are Middle Class, if you're a supervisor in an admin office or a call centre you are not.

''Travellers,Pikeys,Pavees,Tinkers.....yadda yadda yadda.''.....ZZZZZZZZZZ They're 1% of the populace, why spend 80% of your time going on about them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

dd972 wrote: »
    Frothy gush that gives off a vibe of ''I'm your best mate ever'' ''I've got your back'' ''I'll look after you'' blah blah

Snap Judgements without investigation, ''that person over there in a workplace or pub ( who'm you've never had a conversation with ) is a knacker / cnut / queer* delete as appropriate

Classism - Working Class people who think they're Middle Class looking down their noses at anyone they perceive as Working Class, a little reminder for them, if you're an Architect / Surgeon / Senior Government Official / Solicitor you are Middle Class, if you're a supervisor in an admin office or a call centre you are not.

''Travellers,Pikeys,Pavees,Tinkers.....yadda yadda yadda.''.....ZZZZZZZZZZ They're 1% of the populace, why spend 80% of your time going on about them?

This,so bloody true :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sethasaurus

You're not Irish. Three sounds very nancy boyish :rolleyes: The reason we don't pronounce th's is because English is not our native language "a hAon, a Dó, a Trí" If you want to bash a nationality for how they pronounce their words why not have a go at the English with their native language a lot of them say fink instead of think.

So wtf is "heighth"? Sorry folks, but it isn't actually a word. By the way, it has the 'th' sound, so when you say you can't pronounce 'th', you're just telling more BS.

If you're going to take English as your first language, you should really learn how to speak it.

None of you has a frickin clue how to read a clock, apparently.

Please, realise you're not amazing, with 'the craic'. You don't all have to try and be friggin comedians or be self-deprecating.
    Grow a spine and get respect for being you, not some clown figure.

So many Irish turn into bull****ting, stupid, lazy, repressed, spineless, boring, people because they're too scared to discover and be the people that they can be.

Learn to recognise and speak the truth. Realise that when you say 'spoof', the word you should be using is 'lie'.

Take responsibility for your actions.
    Have respect for others (e.g. don't drop your litter in the street, piss in alleyways or get in someone's face when they refuse to let you engage them).

Celebrate your differences, rather than coercing your friends/family/peers into such ugly conformity.

Stop sweeping things under the mat and complaining for a million years. Pull finger and actually attend to the problems in your life.

Get some hobbies that don't involve 'going down the pub for a pint'.

Grow the hell up and get over the schoolyard insults and gossipy, small-town mentality.

Celebrate your achievers, instead of trying to cut them down.

Forget about celebrity. You can't all be celebrities, and guess what? You're not celebrities.

Don't rest on your laurels and go on about your amazing artists and musicians. Joyce died 70 years ago (for example).

DO SOMETHING that doesn't just involve personal gratification.

If you do a favor, don't expect something back. Favors with strings have another name - trades.

Mind your own frickin business.

Stop blocking the footpath when you're having a good old chitchat in the street. Other people need to get by.

When you're going, just say goodbye and GO!

Grow the hell up.

Listen more, and quit it with the damn jibber-jabber. Start using your brains more and your mouths less.

STFU.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

So wtf is "heighth"? Sorry folks, but it isn't actually a word. By the way, it has the 'th' sound, so when you say you can't pronounce 'th', you're just telling more BS.

If you're going to take English as your first language, you should really learn how to speak it.

Please, realise you're not amazing, with 'the craic'. You don't all have to try and be friggin comedians or be self-deprecating.

So many Irish turn into bull****ting, stupid, lazy, repressed, spineless, boring, people because they're too scared to discover and be the people that they can be.

Learn to recognise and speak the truth. Realise that when you say 'spoof', the word you should be using is 'lie'.

Have respect for others (e.g. don't drop your litter in the street, piss in alleyways or get in someone's face when they refuse to let you engage them).

Celebrate your differences, rather than coercing your friends/family/peers into such ugly conformity.

Stop sweeping things under the mat and complaining for a million years. Pull finger and actually attend to the problems in your life.

Grow the hell up and get over the schoolyard insults and gossipy, small-town mentality.

Forget about celebrity. You can't all be celebrities, and guess what? You're not celebrities.

Don't rest on your laurels and go on about your amazing artists and musicians. Joyce died 70 years ago (for example).

If you do a favor, don't expect something back. Favors with strings have another name - trades.

Stop blocking the footpath when you're having a good old chitchat in the street. Other people need to get by.

Grow the hell up.

Listen more, and quit it with the damn jibber-jabber. Start using your brains more and your mouths less.

STFU.

Jeez. You are one angry man.

If you are living in Ireland you should leave or this incessant anger will consume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Grow the hell up.

STFU.

Get the **** out of Ireland so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Grow the hell up.

STFU.

Aren't you the life and soul of the party?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

What about Philip Eddy.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The reason we don't pronounce th's is because English is not our native language

It might not be your native language, but it is for the vast majority of us.
    As for not being able to pronounce them: heighth, thongue, wroughth-iron, I was thought in school (shudder), etc. We can pronounce them just fine.

• Advertisement

Festy wrote: »
    This,so bloody true :mad:

No it isn't.

The poster is simply throwing out banal and non-specific examples of supposed Irish traits. Hell, he could be talking about Manchester for all I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Sethasaurus - where are you from???

Btw "frickin'" - :rolleyes:

bluewolf wrote: »

As for not being able to pronounce them: heighth, thongue, wroughth-iron, I was thought in school, etc. We can pronounce them just fine.

As a matter of interest, do you think you pronounce your th's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

You're not Irish, especially when you come out with a historically ignorant line like that.
    Maybe you should have listened when the Irish were "gabbing" on.
    kfallon wrote: »
    Sethasaurus - where are you from???

Btw "frickin'" -

My guess............ Canadian.

No offence to Canadians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

dd972 wrote: »

Personally I'd disagree. I think middle class is anyone with a comfortable income, maybe a degree and a decent job. Someone who isn't living from paycheck to paycheck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

As a matter of interest, do you think you pronounce your th's?

When I'm being lazy, no, I don't :D
    But I do most of the time, and can, which is the point.

As for not being able to pronounce them: heighth, thongue, wroughth-iron, I was thought in school (shudder), etc. We can pronounce them just fine.

Thoungue?

Personally I'd disagree. I think middle class is anyone with a comfortable income, maybe a degree and a decent job. Someone who isn't living from paycheck to paycheck.

I could write a blog about the different definitions of middle class. But too long, and off topic, to post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

english is our language

you can tell because we're all speaking english here now

i'd bet good money that I don't have that most of you couldn't even hold the most basic of conversations in your supposed "native" language.

A long, boring and contradictory rant.

I'm sorry to say it, but in all honesty it seems like you're the one with the problem.

• Advertisement

When I'm being lazy, no, I don't :D
    But I do most of the time, and can, which is the point.

Hmm, outside of the northern accent - I hear it very little. But I'll take your word. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet-but the stigma attached to mental health (or problems with it) in Ireland makes my heart sad.

It's already incredibly difficult to come to terms with being unwell, but the whispers and lack of understanding makes it damn near unbearable.

english is our language

i'd bet good money that I don't have that most of you couldn't even hold the most basic of conversations in your supposed "native" language.

Fluent, thank you very much. :cool:

english is our language

You are missing the point about how the dropping if the th, most noticeable in three ( from trí ) came from. Aren't you. Yes. You are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Don't rest on your laurels and go on about your amazing artists and musicians. Joyce died 70 years ago.

STFU.

Right so we should celebrate our achievers but yet not go on about them.

Good advice for yourself there at the end.

english is our language

Yes, Anglicisation saw to that.

That doesn't necessarily render it irrelevant as a valued piece of our historical heritage.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 circular motion

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet-but the stigma attached to mental health (or problems with it) in Ireland makes my heart sad.

It's already incredibly difficult to come to terms with being unwell, but the whispers and lack of understanding makes it damn near unbearable.

that's cos nations having mental health issues en mass is a very new phenomenon. It just takes time for people to get used to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Languages are very very rarely the same from region to region. Ever hear of accents or dialects? Language is something so intrinsically human that it evolves quickly from place to place.

Agreed. The only hobbies a lot of people have here are football, GAA etc. I think our school system is to blame for this. Very little choice when it comes to extra-curricular activities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

mikom wrote: »
    You're not Irish, especially when you come out with a historically ignorant line like that.
    Maybe you should have listened when the Irish were "gabbing" on.

My guess............ Canadian.

No offence to Canadians.

No. Canadians are nice people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sethasaurus

Methememb wrote: »
    Get the **** out of Ireland so.

Sadly, that is a typical response when you criticise people here.

The topic is 'What do you hate about Irish people'. Perhaps I should have posted in one titled 'Criticism of the Irish'.
    I'm not a hater - more like a fish out of water. It is kind of a mad country..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement