Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you hate about Irish people

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

How every Dub says they knew The General

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

So many think its great to drink too much, smoke hash ,use drugs, as if its something to boast about.
    Women who drink and smoke while pregnant ,are they thick or else don,t give a damn about their child.
    Theres no sense of responsibility or transparency
    about the civil service .
    When a civil servant makes a mistake ,theres no
    effect on his career .
    They get big pensions,pay rises increments,
    even if they are partly responsible for destroying the economy.
    IF a td or civil servant , regulator was found to have been corrupt
    or incompetent their pension should be reduced
    to 40k max.

People who just litter, ie buy a can , chips, and just
    drop it on the ground when finished with it.
    WE should have a system like the senate in the usa,
    if this was america there,d be hearings on the banking crisis ,
    all civil servants ,anyone who has a government pension
    would have to give evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lesserspottedchloe

Carson10 wrote: »
    I hate the fact the Irish people want to live by the rule book so much, for example everyone has to be in a relationship by 28, get married by 30, live in an unfinshed housing estate called "Cois na Habhainn", name their kids, Roisin and Jack, be bored of their marriage after 3 years cos the wife cut her hair into a school boy look and packed on the pounds.

Hate all the d*cks on facebook who post crap like, "few beers they said, be grand they said".

I hate this attitude just as much as you do but I don't think it's an irish thing. It is very pathetic and annoying though! For example, My brother and his wife are only married a year and the ammount of pressure being put on them to have 2.4 children is insane :rolleyes: A number of people have dropped rude hints and act as if they owe them something/have let them down when they say they're waiting a few years!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Are you telling the people who believe in the stereotypes to grow up, or are you telling those who actually do the drinking to grow up?

The people that go out and get sh1tfaced and fall back on the 'sure I'm irish, thats what we do' excuse.

Also the Sunday morning race to facebook to announce their hangover like its a badge of super coolness.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

lufties wrote: »
    Also the Sunday morning race to facebook to announce their hangover like its a badge of super coolness.:cool:

Yeah I f**kin hate that too, my news feed does be full of it all day Sunday. Drives me mad, yeah like I need to know he/she were out and how pissed ya got. Facepalm*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭leblanc

Lack of pride in their culture and language always disappoints me.
    Isn't this the point? We can't build a future from the shadows of a a past long gone. What is our modern culture? Functioning alcoholism, feckless spending (until recently), political impotence?

As for the language. Come off it, this country has enough problems without having every government document, road sign etc having to printed/painted twice to satisfy the 2% of Irish who speak Irish as their first language. FFS we have so many visitors to this country who come here especially to learn English! Bit of telling sign about which language will last.

While I'm on it; if you want to develop a love of the language then is should be taught as a language not by rote. I, like most Irish, was 'taught' the language for my first and second levels of education, yet I can barely string a sentence together in it. I studied French in secondary and can still communicate comfortably, if somewhat basically, in that language.

The aspect of our culture we need to develop is our fighting spirit and start standing up for ourselves instead of being distracted by third rate so called public servants squabbling over what colour to paint the bike shed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

pookiesboo wrote: »
    How every Dub says they knew The General
    I didn't....there goes your "every" ;)

leblanc wrote: »
    Isn't this the point? We can't build a future from the shadows of a a past long gone. What is our modern culture? Functioning alcoholism, feckless spending (until recently), political impotence?

As for the language. Come off it, this country has enough problems without having every government document, road sign etc having to printed/painted twice to satisfy the 2% of Irish who speak Irish as their first language. FFS we have so many visitors to this country who come here especially to learn English! Bit of telling sign about which language will last.

While I'm on it; if you want to develop a love of the language then is should be taught as a language not by rote. I, like most Irish, was 'taught' the language for my first and second levels of education, yet I can barely string a sentence together in it. I studied French in secondary and can still communicate comfortably, if somewhat basically, in that language.

The aspect of our culture we need to develop is our fighting spirit and start standing up for ourselves instead of being distracted by third rate so called public servants squabbling over what colour to paint the bike shed.

Wish I could thank this post twice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

People who double park
    People who think its ok to park their car taking up the footpath.
    People who only open their handbag and then purse to get out ther lazer card when they reach the top of the Q

All things Fianna Fail and our incredibly inept & incompetant former financial regulator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Another vote for self loathing

All over boards calling Irish workers lazy dogs while foreign workers are just superb

Not true at all

I spent years working in hotels and some of the foreign staff were great workers and some were unreliable drunken pissheads
    Not unlike young people from any country

People looking to take offense on behalf of others, those who say they are most opposed to racism are the same people who see it everywhere

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Schpud dinners, GAA, farmers tan, freckles, Guinness farts, bad drivers, obsession with the weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Their self hating?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

mikemac1 wrote: »
    People looking to take offense on behalf of others, those who say they are most opposed to racism are the same people who see it everywhere

In my opinion, the folks you describe are the real racists.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jimmi10

lufties wrote: »
    The people that go out and get sh1tfaced and fall back on the 'sure I'm irish, thats what we do' excuse.

I agree. Also Facebook posts on a monday along the lines of: "I shouldn't have got so pissed this weekend, this week will be a nightmare!"

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I'm not comfortable with the word "people" in the thread title, as it targets the sinner and not the sin.

However, among other things, what drives me absolutely bonkers about Irish culture is:

The "it'll do" and "shur isn't it grand" mentality.
    The woeful attitude of both citizenry and authorities to compliance with the law.
    Our apparent inability to be both nice and efficient at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

The racism and homophobia I still see among this generation. I mean, really? It's the 21st century.

A girl I work with said her parents would be disappointed if she went out with a black guy :eek::eek: in 2012....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭veryangryman

A girl I work with said her parents would be disappointed if she went out with a black guy :eek::eek: in 2012....

Based solely on stereotypes and general racist remarks she would hear from people, i would also not wish it on a daughter. Apologies if my honesty is too brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Would they be less or more disappointed in 2013?

Based solely on stereotypes and general racist remarks she would hear from people, i would also not wish it on a daughter. Apologies if my honesty is too brutal.

I seriously can't understand that attitude. If a guy was being a dick to your daughter fair enough, but because they are black ???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

The same as my family.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Celtic fans (not all of course).
    The fact that everything revolves around alcohol.
    Being sick from drinking being a badge of honor.
    The fact that most Irish have lost their Irishness (pre-Tiger attitude).
    Begrudgers who hate the success of others.
    "Am ah na entitle to it" dole scroungers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I seriously can't understand that attitude. If a guy was being a dick to your daughter fair enough, but because they are black ???

I wouldnt be the one giving the racist remarks. The point is that some people would be giving them which would upset the daughter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

The thing that drives me mental most about Irish people is the misuse of the word ignorant. I define irony as "an Irish person calling someone ignorant".

I could be rude, cheeky, impolite, nasty, out of order. But I know what the word ignorant means, unlike anyone that has ever called me ignorant.

People can have warped priorities sometimes. My ex's friend came out to her parents a number of yerars ago and they weren't happy about it. When she pointed out that there were worse things a parent could have to deal with like their daughter being a prostitute or a drug addict or contracting HIV they more or less told her they would be happier dealing with any of those than her being gay :(

I wouldnt be the one giving the racist remarks. The point is that some people would be giving them which would upset the daughter

I get what you are saying, but I would hope I've raised my kids to rise above such ****e or at the very least to tell them to **** off.

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    People can have warped priorities sometimes. My ex's friend came out to her parents a number of yerars ago and they weren't happy about it. When she pointed out that there were worse things a parent could have to deal with like their daughter being a prostitute or a drug addict or contracting HIV they more or less told her they would be happier dealing with any of those than her being gay :(
    Maybe its an older generation thing, doesn't excuse racism and homophobia though.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Celtic fans (not all of course).
    The fact that everything revolves around alcohol.
    Being sick from drinking being a badge of honor.
    The fact that most Irish have lost their Irishness (pre-Tiger attitude).
    Begrudgers who hate the success of others.
    "Am ah na entitle to it" dole scroungers.

So true. I've seen so many problems caused by drinking, relationships falling apart, jobs lost, drink related accidents etc, and what I find even more annoying than binge drinking, is the fact that a lot of binge drinkers feel the need to validate their actions by slagging off non-drinkers. I know a man who gave up drinking (his father died from alcoholism and his brother was an alcoholic also) - he more or less lost a number of "friends" because he couldnt cope with the slagging every time they went out. Incessant banging on about it and taking the proverbial, "Ah Mickey is on the purple stuff (ribena) again" or "ah jaysus you're a real dry sh1te since you stopped getting hammered". If you want to drink to stupidity fine, but no need to slag off those who choose not to :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

B0X wrote: »
    Says the lad called LeinsterRugby, how is following GAA any different to following rugby?
    because the GAA is a weird clandestine organisation which has a disturbing stranglehold on rural Ireland. Very much like the catholic church used to be here in terms of its massive influence on the state and its omnipotence.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,933 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

because the GAA is a weird clandestine organisation which has a disturbing stranglehold on rural Ireland. Very much like the catholic church used to be here in terms of its massive influence on the state and its omnipotence.
    idiotic statement of the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,933 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    So true. I've seen so many problems caused by drinking, relationships falling apart, jobs lost, drink related accidents etc, and what I find even more annoying than binge drinking, is the fact that a lot of binge drinkers feel the need to validate their actions by slagging off non-drinkers. I know a man who gave up drinking (his father died from alcoholism and his brother was an alcoholic also) - he more or less lost a number of "friends" because he couldnt cope with the slagging every time they went out. Incessant banging on about it and taking the proverbial, "Ah Mickey is on the purple stuff (ribena) again" or "ah jaysus you're a real dry sh1te since you stopped getting hammered". If you want to drink to stupidity fine, but no need to slag off those who choose not to :mad:
    it's sad but if you tell the truth about how a few irish lads really died this year you will be shouted down and called a disgrace..etc....the fact is at least 5 young men over the last month or 3 died from drinking too much...their cause of death maybe something else....but it should be DRINK

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement