Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you hate about Irish people

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

DannyLiz wrote: »
    49 pages of hate ? You sad sad people.

Someone sounds like a barrel of laughs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I moved from my home country in 1999 , i dont want to say from where but there were no jobs there, and there was a very low standard of living.

I came here with the intension id stay 6 months if possable , and 13 od years later im still here, married, dogs, children and mortgage.

I love this country , alot of people dont apreciate how beautifull this country is and how nice the majority of people are .

I often think , what if you were given the choice, you put all the countrys in the world in a draw and what ever country you draw you have to go live there for your whole life, .......

OR....

You just stay here in ireland...

I know what ill be deciding.

The grass over here my friends is a hell of a lot greener!!!

Oh and can i just add over the 13 years i was only out of work for 1 month during that time. Im just stating that i didnt come here to spunge off the state thats all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

old hippy wrote: »
    I don't really hate anyone or anything but I do find tiresome the uberpatriots who get all jumpy if you dare point out things about the country that annoy you.It's like "how dare you" "self loather" "get a life" "you must be British" etc etc ad nauseum.If we're playing the patriotism game, I reckon the most patriotic thing a person can do is question the negative aspects of their nation and find out why it happens and how to avoid it or fix it.Uberpats. Grrr.

Problem is the self-loathers are complaining about traits found everywhere in the world

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Problem is the self-loathers are complaining about traits found everywhere in the world

West Brits/self loathers/you must be English etc ad nauseum are very much the mantra of the parochial uberpats, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

DannyLiz wrote: »
    49 pages of hate ? You sad sad people.

Have you read the title of the thread?

• Advertisement

jester77 wrote: »
    Have you read the title of the thread?

Evidently not, she's gone after firing off her opening salvo :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15 4ntimatter

We all hate and love things about being whatever nationality, the Important thing is that we remember there's surely a thread for every country entitled what I hate about being English/French/American/Japan/Swedish etc. So what I love about being Irish is that we love to slag ourselves and not take ourselves too seriously.

What I hate about being Irish: I hate being a ginger. "not really but I did when I was younger as yous can imagine why"

And no, It wasn't because I was a fanny magnet, and all the compliments. lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

West Brits/self loathers/you must be English etc ad nauseum are very much the mantra of the parochial uberpats, though.

Yes but my argument is that the "self-loathers" are misplacing their self-loathing. They are attributing personality traits found the world over to Irish people and railing against Irish people for that. They are the definition of self-loathing because they never quit the naval gazing long enough to work out that people the world over are all generally similar barring obvious cultural differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

4ntimatter wrote: »
    What I hate about being Irish: I hate being a ginger. "not really but I did when I was younger as yous can imagine why"

No soul?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Irish person --- theres no jobs here and the weather is cold and wet and depressing

Spanish person
    theres no jobs here and its to dam hot all the time and i have no water for my plants.

Russian-- i have no money for my vodka and oooo was that jason bourne flying past their in a taxi being chased by cops ?

• Advertisement

Yes but my argument is that the "self-loathers" are misplacing their self-loathing. They are attributing personality traits found the world over to Irish people and railing against Irish people for that. They are the definition of self-loathing because they never quit the naval gazing long enough to work out that people the world over are all generally similar barring obvious cultural differences.

I see where you're coming from. People will be people, after all. I personally just find the chest beating jingoism and use of the "west brit" tag to be specifically annoying about home.

One can have a healthy scepticism about the country's ills without being some kind of treacherous, curtain twitching, Elgar loving, neo colonialist, Dublin Castle type ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Phoenix wrote: »
    The ones who got wealthy from the celtic tiger period who look down on others

Ah yes, the sad and equally tacky nouveau riche. Thankfully now an endangered species, if not extinct altogether.

Ah yes, the sad and equally tacky nouveau riche. Thankfully now an endangered species, if not extinct altogether.

Also, "old money" has always looked down on "new money". Goes right back to the time of the industrial revolution. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ASVM

I really dislike the cronyism that still exists and the way we have to love GAA if we are Irish. I don't love hurling I don't hate it either but I don't want to be defined by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Invis

I study in University and majority of my classmates are Irish, i hate that they only talk to someone when they need help with theyr assignment or studies, otherwise u can barely expect a hello in a hallway. I am the class rep in this group.

Invis wrote: »
    I study in University and majority of my classmates are Irish, i hate that they only talk to someone when they need help with theyr assignment or studies, otherwise u can barely expect a hello in a hallway. I am the class rep in this group.

Just 8 posts since joining over 2 years ago; maybe they think you're a bit shy? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Party Supply Van

Invis wrote: »

Purely out of curiosity,what was the reason that led you to posting in this thread which has been dormant for almost 2 months?
    Nice bump sleepy

FYP ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

The Irish are a very devious race of people and only see you when they want something or when one is of some use to them. I had the same experience in college myself. An Irish person will promise you the sun, moon and stars, but of course has no intention of ever keeping his or her word.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

Clareboy wrote: »
    The Irish are a very devious race of people and only see you when they want something or when one is of some use to them. I had the same experience in college myself. An Irish person will promise you the sun, moon and stars, but of course has no intention of ever keeping his or her word.

Is this really your experience with very single irish person you have ever met??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Customer service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

cassi wrote: »

Is this really your experience with very single irish person you have ever met??

It tells ya more about him.

What I don't like about the Irish - we generalise negatively about ourselves more than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭HarrisonLennon

Weak..

Stand up for nothing. Take everything from the dáil up the a**e

Methememb wrote: »
    Customer service.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Clareboy wrote: »
    An Irish person will promise you the sun, moon and stars, but of course has no intention of ever keeping his or her word.

Moon and stars, I can do............ the sun however..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Weak..

True that. If we are particularly hurt by something we'll give Joe Duffy a call. Makes me sick. We need to take a leaf out of the Greek's books.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 circular motion

Lack of humility.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

mikom wrote: »
    Moon and stars, I can do............ the sun however..........

exactly , how can the Irish promise the sun, when we don't have it ?

Methememb wrote: »

True that. If we are particularly hurt by something we'll give Joe Duffy a call. Makes me sick. We need to take a leaf out of the Greek's books.

Exactly what I had in mind. I lived there for a year. The people rule, the government listens.

Here sure.. They'll moan over a pint that's it. Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

owenc wrote: »
    They're accents, seen them up in bushmills today you should've heard them, first of all its not portbalintra its portbalintray... and secondly its not tree its three!
    You're not Irish. Three sounds very nancy boyish :rolleyes: The reason we don't pronounce th's is because English is not our native language "a hAon, a Dó, a Trí" If you want to bash a nationality for how they pronounce their words why not have a go at the English with their native language a lot of them say fink instead of think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Weak..

So you were the lone ranger I saw wreaking havoc outside the Dáil the day after the budget :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement