Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 4 on Three Ireland Network.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 PickleHead

Comreg told us that there is no such thing as a cooling off period with mobile phones?? Surely that cant be right ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Cooling off period? Bo**ix!! The phone isn't working. Ring APPLE and tell them there is a problem with their phone on 3, and the 3 want is sent to an unauthorised repair centre......That'll put the cat among the friggin' pigeons....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I got a form in mine with the packing that is to be filled in if I decide to send the phone back. It says I have 14 days to change my mind,This is a cooling off period isnt it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 PickleHead

My dad just wanted rid at this stage so Im just warning if you are planning on returning your handset they will try everything the possibly can not to return it. In the end the manager of the call center in Mumbi decided he will be allowed to get a full refund tomorrow when he returns to store

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭stephenbrow

If u bought it over the phone or Internet you are covered by Distant Selling Regulations.
    Three may say your not covered they tried this with me.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/consumer-protection/consumer-rights/distance_selling

They did tell me in the end that there is "an issue" but it's not with the phone and it's not with the network. ??? But it would be fixed in the next few weeks.. that was about a month ago and that's why there taking mine back.

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    Cooling off period? Bo**ix!! The phone isn't working. Ring APPLE and tell them there is a problem with their phone on 3, and the 3 want is sent to an unauthorised repair centre......That'll put the cat among the friggin' pigeons....:D

Ha ha love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 davidodtralee1

Hi all,

I've been reading this thread with great interest...I am also having a similar problem with the Three network and my iPhone 4. :(

The 3g signal will simply disappear even though the 3 signal has 5 bars next to it....really annoying. Airplane mode on/off doesn't seem to make any difference - I've got to go into Network and manually select 3 (3g) which lasts...maybe 5 minutes before it disappears too. :mad:

I had an iPhone 3gS and before that 3G with 02 and have never had any problems - only reason I switched to Three was because of the price.

Just wondering if anyone can tell me what my rights are with this? From reading the "small print" T&C's on Three's site, I should be able to cancel my 18 month contract with Three and return the iPhone for a full refund within 14 days...anyone have any idea if this is the case? :confused:

I spent 22 minutes on hold with Three earlier today before giving up :mad: Planning to call into the 3 store tomorrow.

Would love to go back to 02 now :( Even if I had to wait to get the iPhone again..I'll go back to my lovely 3gS!!!

But yeah, anyone know what the scenario is for cancelling??? I'd appreciate any input!

Cheers,

David

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Hi all,

I've been reading this thread with great interest...I am also having a similar problem with the Three network and my iPhone 4. :(

The 3g signal will simply disappear even though the 3 signal has 5 bars next to it....really annoying. Airplane mode on/off doesn't seem to make any difference - I've got to go into Network and manually select 3 (3g) which lasts...maybe 5 minutes before it disappears too. :mad:

I had an iPhone 3gS and before that 3G with 02 and have never had any problems - only reason I switched to Three was because of the price.

Just wondering if anyone can tell me what my rights are with this? From reading the "small print" T&C's on Three's site, I should be able to cancel my 18 month contract with Three and return the iPhone for a full refund within 14 days...anyone have any idea if this is the case? :confused:

I spent 22 minutes on hold with Three earlier today before giving up :mad: Planning to call into the 3 store tomorrow.

Would love to go back to 02 now :( Even if I had to wait to get the iPhone again..I'll go back to my lovely 3gS!!!

But yeah, anyone know what the scenario is for cancelling??? I'd appreciate any input!

Cheers,

David

The coverage bars do not indicate 3G signal, threes voice and text services are provided by vodafone - it's an indicator of voice/text only.
    3 Operates it's own 3G network, so even though you may have voice/text coverage from vodafone - 3G is unavailable in that particular area.

If I were you, I'd give it a little while to let these teething problems be rectified, 3 are constantly updating there networks and with the influx of new iPhone customers, there will be more revenue to do such.
    at the end of the day, if you want to switch back to o2, that's your prerogative but they will undoubtedly not be able to compete with threes pricing.

Kevin! wrote: »
    The coverage bars do not indicate 3G signal, threes voice and text services are provided by vodafone - it's an indicator of voice/text only.
    3 Operates it's own 3G network, so even though you may have voice/text coverage from vodafone - 3G is unavailable in that particular area.

If I were you, I'd give it a little while to let these teething problems be rectified, 3 are constantly updating there networks and with the influx of new iPhone customers, there will be more revenue to do such.
    at the end of the day, if you want to switch back to o2, that's your prerogative but they will undoubtedly not be able to compete with threes pricing.

Cheers mate....didn't realise Vodafone provided some of their services. As for the 3G network, I was in the middle of Tralee, so I'd assume that they'd have some sort of a presence here!

I'm going to inquire tomorrow anyway...just for my own peace of mind. Once the 14 days elapses, I don't want to be stuck with them for 18 months. As you said, 02 wouldn't, and can't compete with their prices, but I've been with them for years and never had a problem!

We'll see :) Appreciate the advice though!

PickleHead wrote: »
    Ya they claim that they dont honour a cooling off period on their iphones but i cant see this in the terms and conditions?

I've just read their T&C's cover to cover and they say that there is a 14 day cooling off period associated with their new bill pay plans where you return the phone, get a refund, are liable for the bill (which is fair enough) for that particular month and that's it....

Can't see anything about iPhone not being included in this though? If there is, its not on their site...and wasn't communicated during the bill signup....hmmm.....

Pity! I liked Three's offers....hope they are not going to be one of those networks you really regret going to :( I MISS 02!!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I was also with O2 and never had this problem even on Meteor I didn't have this problem.
    I have Three Internet at home I live in Dublin and it's great. Wouldn't change it. But I can't use the iPhone in the same place without the 3G dropping and I live very near a 3G mast. It's just an issue with the iPhone and three, that is 100%.

Now good night All.

Hi all, had a similar problem earlier but once I went to the settings and turned on cellular data and roaming data on from the network settings, it's perfect.

Coincidence?

Working perfectly since I did this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Did this also and haven't lost 3G connection since Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

Agree with the previous two replies. Was losing 3G all day here in Cork and it was driving me nuts
    My phone was finally ported over at about 10.30pm and haven't lost 3G since. I've had 3-5 (4 most of d time). Switches on the data roaming for good measure too :-)

I think you should wait a few hours and move around a bit before you think your phone is fixed. Hopefully it but but remember three told me there is an "issue" so I think it's them that needs to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭viv.ie

Just a warning to anybody moving over to the new iPhone tariff on three to cancel any current add ons they have.I ordered a new iPhone over the phone and was told I was on the new tariff from my next billing period which was the 3rd of the month,checked online last night and found I was still being charged for a 1gb addon I had running on my nokia.Obviously up to me to cancel the add on but not something that springs to mind when going over to a new tariff.Contacted three this morning and it will be disabled from next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭j_lennon18

My experience with iPhone 4 on Three so far...

I used it going to work today for the first time this morning, from D22 to city centre listening to a radio stream and surfing the web. 3G was active 100% of the time. Signal was 4-5 bars 95% of the time and the rest it was 2-3 bars.

Travelling to work is were I need 3G mostly so I am very happy with it. I also used it in a few pubs over the weekend and it worked smoothly. 1 night, 3G was there but internet didn't respond for about 1 min. This only happened 2-3 times on Saturday night but not since then.

I did get a free sim 2 weeks ago before moving to 3 so I had a good feeling that I would be happy with the iPhone 4 on 3. I would suggest anyone to do the same so that will be happy about signing the 18 month contract with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭colsers22

Pretty happy so far too. Full 3 signal in Lucan where I live. 2-3 3G bars in D8 where I work. Voice clarity is perfect. Did a speed test this morning and got well over 1MB. So I'm happy out for now anyway.

Hi all, had a similar problem earlier but once I went to the settings and turned on cellular data and roaming data on from the network settings, it's perfect.

Coincidence?

Still working perfectly since I did this. No loss of 3G at all since I did this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I've had every version of the iPhone so far and on O2, vodafone and three sims.

Three are no worse than the others in my opinion and I have actually found there customer support to be ok. There 3g signal isn't as good as others and often when my friends have a full 3g signal I have none but that's mainly out of dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

i have just turned on the data roaming setting as said here...and i'll report back later today to tell if there's a loss of 3g signal! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Still working perfectly since I did this. No loss of 3G at all since I did this.

I'll give it a shot. I really don't want to have to return the phone!

Waiting since Friday for my iPhone4, Three said (about 5 times) yes we sent it but can't find your tracking number, we will call you back in 5 minutes... never call back so today I rang Niteline who confirmed they sent it yesterday...
    Nice person who answered the phone even took my number and called the driver to see when I will get delivery...

Why Lie to customers...every call to Three seems to be just trying to get you off the phone with a fake promise of a call back...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Coincidence?

You will become a legend if this works out.

A possible reason why this works with Three is because I think they actually use Vodafones 3G data network in Ireland as a backup to their own. So we need to have data roaming turned on for the iphone to access that.

[edit: I could be talking through me a** so correct me if I'm wrong]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

fbradyirl wrote: »
    A possible reason why this works with Three is because I think they actually use Vodafones 3G data network in Ireland as a backup to their own. So we need to have data roaming turned on for the iphone to access that.

They don't use vodafones 3g as backup. I was having disconnection problems with both cellular data and data roaming turned on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Waiting since Friday for my iPhone4, Three said (about 5 times) yes we sent it but can't find your tracking number, we will call you back in 5 minutes... never call back so today I rang Niteline who confirmed they sent it yesterday...
    Nice person who answered the phone even took my number and called the driver to see when I will get delivery...

Why Lie to customers...every call to Three seems to be just trying to get you off the phone with a fake promise of a call back...

How did you know niteline were the courier if three didn't have a tracking number?
    You do seem to be on a crusade against them for some reason.

Elessar wrote: »
    They don't use vodafones 3g as backup. I was having disconnection problems with both cellular data and data roaming turned on.

Maybe you're just in a bad coverage area for all operators.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭corklad32

It drops network and stays on 3 rather than 3G, So then when you want to use the net, you have to search for networks and select 3G and try get that connected.

Guys - i'm in cork and having this exact problem on the iphone 4 with 3 - its ****e reception. Anytime you want to browse the web you have to turn the airplane mode on and off and then it may pick up the 3g signal. And even if you do manage to hook onto 3g the download time is horrific. They have said they are having congestion issues but its a lot more than this. I will almost certainly be bringing mine back before the 14 day period is up - has anyone else done this?

• Advertisement

How did you know niteline were the courier if three didn't have a tracking number?
    You do seem to be on a crusade against them for some reason.

ha ha
    Crusade....

Because Three told me it was niteline, and they didn't give me a tracking number,
    Got my phone...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement