Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 4 on Three Ireland Network.

Options

Comments

Delighted so far with 3.

I'm just waiting on my number to be ported over. Every time i've called, they've been very courteous and polite and kept me informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭nuttlys

OK to try help out a little more with the 2G/3G issue... i was not having any luck getting the phone to automatically move back to the 3G network even after a network reset. But then I changed the Carrier settings back from "3 (3G)" to "Automatic" and hey presto, after five min's on 2G the phone automatically switched back to 3G! :D

I have Data Roaming on... but i'm cautious to go mess with any more settings. if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Feel much happier now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭kopite davo

Another issue (dunno if it's the phone or 3) - after finishing a call the phone is 'dead' for about a minute - the 'slide to unlock' graphic displays but sliding does nothing. Is this just me?!

had the problem today of the screen blank as if the phone was dead. neither the home or top button would get it back on no matter how low long they were held down for. plugged the phone into the computer and it came back on, battery 69% before anyone mentions that :D. 3 said if it were to happen again to let them know. software is fully upto date aswell.
    weird, and could leave you in a spot of bother???
    anyone else have this issue???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Only one drop off 3G today and picked back up the 3G signal almost straight away, that was about 11am, been on 3G since with no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭gartcork

Delighted so far with 3.

I'm just waiting on my number to be ported over. Every time i've called, they've been very courteous and polite and kept me informed.

+1 I'm in exactly the same position. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭deep1

Well happy enough with 3 so far on iphone, Service drops sometime but no big issues.

Was just on to 3 technical dept and he advised me not to turn on the Data Roaming as they do have agreement with Vodafone for data but charges are very high.
    I don't know how true is that but just a bit of advice for people who have a data roaming on, keep a close eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

deep1 wrote: »
    Well happy enough with 3 so far on iphone, Service drops sometime but no big issues.

Was just on to 3 technical dept and he advised me not to turn on the Data Roaming as they do have agreement with Vodafone for data but charges are very high.
    I don't know how true is that but just a bit of advice for people who have a data roaming on, keep a close eye.

Rubbish, 3 officially have no data roaming with Vodafone so typically you cannot connect to the internet when roaming on Vodafone, how can you be charged when there is no agreement so no data prices set. Turning on the data roaming is just a step to keeping the data connection with 3 more stable nothing more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 davidodtralee1

Hi all,

Spent 45 minutes on hold with 3 earlier today...told them I wanted to switch networks and that I was tired of the 3g problem (I'm in Tralee).

They first had me go through all of the standard things - have you tried turning on/off the phone, making sure the network is 3 (3G) etc. They also told me that all I had to do was make sure I was on iPhone 4.0.1 software and that would definitely solve the problem. I told them I already was and I had updated the carrier settings and they seemed confused then.

Surprisingly, they mentioned again "so you want to cancel your contract" and transferred me to an Irish dude who said that if he couldn't get it working they would cancel the contract for me. Unfortunately I had to head to work at that point, but I rang back later and spent 52 minutes on hold before I got sick of waiting and hung up.

Planning to call into my local Three store tomorrow, with the iPhone in the box and demand my contract be cancelled.

I don't really care for Three's customer support at all - I can see where the negative comments come from. I really cannot speak highly enough of 02's and, despite the extra charges, I will be quite happy to switch back to 02.

I'll get back to ye tomorrow with how I get on!

Has anyone else successfully been able to get out of their new iPhone 4 contract?

Cheers,

David:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 davidodtralee1

corklad32 wrote: »
    Guys - i'm in cork and having this exact problem on the iphone 4 with 3 - its ****e reception. Anytime you want to browse the web you have to turn the airplane mode on and off and then it may pick up the 3g signal. And even if you do manage to hook onto 3g the download time is horrific. They have said they are having congestion issues but its a lot more than this. I will almost certainly be bringing mine back before the 14 day period is up - has anyone else done this?

Did you bring back yours yet mate? I'm planning on doing likewise tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Walkman wrote: »
    Only one drop off 3G today and picked back up the 3G signal almost straight away, that was about 11am, been on 3G since with no problems

Opposite here.......3G gone to absolute pot altogether this evening:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,145 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Has anyone else successfully been able to get out of their new iPhone 4 contract?

Cheers,

The iphone has not been out 14days, you can cancel your contract, you'll have to cancel it where ever you bought it, if it's from tele sales you'll have to go back to telesales to cancel as the shop won't really help you. You will have to return the phone either way. :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I'm not happy with this at all!

It's just not good enough, I'm definately heading down when I'm finished work next Tuesday and giving the phone back.

I'd rather pay the extra few euro a month with vodafone and get a rock solid service from them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 PickleHead

Cheers,

My bf did it successfully yday and is now back on o2 with his new toy (iphone 4 ) and after much hassle my dad cancelled his today , all and all beware of the backlash you will recieve from 3 because they will do everything they can quite possibly do!

Walkman wrote: »
    Rubbish, 3 officially have no data roaming with Vodafone so typically you cannot connect to the internet when roaming on Vodafone

I could connect until about a week before they launched the iphone 4, the contract with vodafone did allow for data, if your on a blackberry with 3 and have the blackberry add on you can use data on vodafone but it's only gprs as far as I know.
    Someone mentioned it above that the engineers had mooted it for iphone due to people expecting an always on data service. I think they need to have it for all phones.
    I'm seriously considering the blackberry for that reason.

PickleHead wrote: »
    My bf did it successfully yday and is now back on o2 with his new toy (iphone 4 ) and after much hassle my dad cancelled his today , all and all beware of the backlash you will recieve from 3 because they will do everything they can quite possibly do!

Did they have to return the phones?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

Just got my iPhone today. Was messing around with it (as you do) and noticed the 3G option to enable has vanished!

Is this due to porting?

Antigone05 wrote: »
    Just got my iPhone today. Was messing around with it (as you do) and noticed the 3G option to enable has vanished!

Is this due to porting?

I've never had that either...just assumed that was the way it was

Yes drunkmonkey but bare in mind they bought them in the store not over the phone or through the website

PickleHead wrote: »
    Yes drunkmonkey but bare in mind they bought them in the store not over the phone or through the website

Doesn't make a single difference, if people want to bring back the phone they can.

Is this due to porting?

That couldn't be right, you should be able to enable or disable 3G.

• Advertisement

Doesn't make a single difference, if people want to bring back the phone they can.

If you bought from telesales you can't return to a store.

If you bought from telesales you can't return to a store.

You can return it though.

I got a 'carrier update' and noticed the option since vanished!!

I'll try to upload a screengrab

Oh im not saying it can be returned its just the store wont refund ya if it was bought over phone etc unless bought in the shop or a 3 shop

I got a 'carrier update' and noticed the option since vanished!!

I'll try to upload a screengrab

Same with me man.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

You are wrong drunkmonkey. The official Hutchison 3G carrier bundle for the iPhone disables the 3G switch. Here is a quote from carrier.plist:

<key>Show3GSwitch</key>
    <false/>

i've the 3GS I got from them, I had to reset it after the carrier update as I was unable to edit the apn. If you reset the iphone and don't accept the carrier update you should be able to re enable it.

You can return it though.

Yea of course, you just return it to where you got it.

Reset? As in reset via iTunes? I just added all my stuff!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

Reset? As in reset via iTunes? I just added all my stuff!!

Don't listen to drunkmonkey, you'll just be wasting your time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement