Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 4 on Three Ireland Network.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's the carrier update that's after doing it blaz ask anyone, there was a thread about it already when the carrier update was released. Nobody mentioned the 3G enable/disable button going missing or getting locked but most of those people were already on 3 and the last thing they'd be doing is disabling 3G, in fact if they had a button that allowed 3G only they would use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

Looking for that thread at the mo, can't see it

Antigone05 wrote: »
    Reset? As in reset via iTunes? I just added all my stuff!!

Make sure the iphone is backed up via itunes and you can re-sync it then after the reset, everything will return to normal just don't accept the carrier update, tbh though it's not going to make much of a difference unless you really need to turn off 3G which is a bit pointless on 3.

if your not sure what your doing, don't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

It's the carrier update that's after doing it blaz ask anyone, there was a thread about it already when the carrier update was released. Nobody mentioned the 3G enable/disable button going missing or getting locked but most of those people were already on 3 and the last thing they'd be doing is disabling 3G, in fact if they had a button that allowed 3G only they would use that.

The carrier update makes it impossible for you to disable 3G, which is what Hutchison wants, as disabling 3G would force you to be roaming on the Vodafone network.

What I am saying is that Antigona05 shouldn't go in and do a reset of his/her phone just to get that 3G button back, because he/her doesn't need that button at all if he's on the 3 network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭john hanrahan

hi i just want to add my experiance with 3 i had agreed to buy an iphone 4 on condition it would be delivered before i went on hols but it wasnt so i rang to cancel as i had informed telesales i would, they couldnt cancel the best i could do was wait for phone to be delivered and have it sent back as undelivered. i said no i want the order canceled i would get one in the store when i come back ghey said fine it was cancelled.

today in france i get a call from nightline saying they have a package for me, i said the order was canceled and return it.

i had just been pawned of by 3 customer care telling me what i wanted to hear and then doing what suits themselves not impressive

not sure who i will get phone from 3 are cheap but is it worth the extra 40 quid
    john

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

blaz wrote: »
    The carrier update makes it impossible for you to disable 3G, which is what Hutchison wants, as disabling 3G would force you to be roaming on the Vodafone network.

What I am saying is that Antigona05 shouldn't go in and do a reset of his/her phone just to get that 3G button back, because he/her doesn't need that button at all if he's on the 3 network.

Why if I'm on 3 do I not need the 3G button? I'm new to this, sorry!

EDIT: sorry, noticed that when I turn off my wifi that the 3G comes on. Thanks !

Antigone05 wrote: »
    Why if I'm on 3 do I not need the 3G button? I'm new to this, sorry!

You do not need the button, what you need is a button that makes the phone 3G only. I do not know why apple never added that feature to a 3G phone.

The thread is here if you want a read of it, you'll see the difference with and without carrier update http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055971396

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭pah

blaz wrote: »
    You are wrong drunkmonkey. The official Hutchison 3G carrier bundle for the iPhone disables the 3G switch. Here is a quote from carrier.plist:

<key>Show3GSwitch</key>
    <false/>

So can you change the carrier.plist to true to enable the switch?

Is it possible to edit a setting to force 3G to run all the time?

I have had better luck with 3G today, hasn't dropped since I left home in Ballincollig & went to work in Fermoy tonight.

Still doesn't explain how my Mi-Fi has perfect 3G coverage @ home
    Is it because the mi-fi mobile broadband uses a different APN???

pah wrote: »
    So can you change the carrier.plist to true to enable the switch?

Is it possible to edit a setting to force 3G to run all the time?

I have had better luck with 3G today, hasn't dropped since I left home in Ballincollig & went to work in Fermoy tonight.

Still doesn't explain how my Mi-Fi has perfect 3G coverage @ home
    Is it because the mi-fi mobile broadband uses a different APN???

You could probably edit it but the problem then is if your out of 3G coverage you won't roam to 2G and you'll be left with no service.

The reason the mifi is better is the iphone is shoite for reception. The apn does not affect signal. Stick your sim in any other 3 phone and you'll have good 3G most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 davidodtralee1

PickleHead wrote: »
    My bf did it successfully yday and is now back on o2 with his new toy (iphone 4 ) and after much hassle my dad cancelled his today , all and all beware of the backlash you will recieve from 3 because they will do everything they can quite possibly do!

*phew* You've made my day...was really getting worried that I wouldn't be able to!!! First thing in the morning they're getting a call from me again. Haven't had 3g now since 4pm today!

Cheers Ms. PickleHead! :D

• Advertisement

*phew* You've made my day...was really getting worried that I wouldn't be able to!!! First thing in the morning they're getting a call from me again. Haven't had 3g now since 4pm today!

Cheers Ms. PickleHead! :D

have you flicked airplane mode on and off?

The iphone has not been out 14days, you can cancel your contract, you'll have to cancel it where ever you bought it, if it's from tele sales you'll have to go back to telesales to cancel as the shop won't really help you. You will have to return the phone either way. :D

Cheers mate...thats fine by me...I still have my good aul' 3gS :) Once I can get out of contract, I don't mind giving back the iPhone 4! Can always get it again with 02 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I've a Nokia e70 and I can only get 3G coverage in certain areas. I always thought it was the phone but after reading this thread I wonder is it the network? My contract is up in October and I am considering leaving.

I have lots of problems with 3's customer service (too many to go into here) but I will say this for them. They're cheap. All the same I'd like a more consistent 3G signal.

have you flicked airplane mode on and off?

Of course yup....it comes back (on occasion) for about 5 minutes, then dies again. The guy from 3 admitted that I was less than a km from a mast too. Its a problem with their network.

silvine wrote: »
    I've a Nokia e70 and I can only get 3G coverage in certain areas. I always thought it was the phone but after reading this thread I wonder is it the network? My contract is up in October and I am considering leaving.

I have lots of problems with 3's customer service (too many to go into here) but I will say this for them. They're cheap. All the same I'd like a more consistent 3G signal.

As far as 3G goes their network is well ahead of the rest of the networks, there under obligation to have 100% 3G population coverage by the end of the year, the e70 is a pretty old phone are you sure you don't mean a n70 if it is your probably after missing out on 3 or 4 upgrades while you've been with them. You should really look at changing that phone. If it's consistent 3G coverage your after I wouldn't make the iphone 4 my first choice, e72, blackberry, sony xperia range and the galaxy s and desire are on the way and all would be better choices if it's signal your after.

Of course yup....it comes back (on occasion) for about 5 minutes, then dies again. The guy from 3 admitted that I was less than a km from a mast too. Its a problem with their network.

It's a problem with the phone! I'll bet a nokia would hold the 3G signal. They need to do something about being able to use data on 2G quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Walkman wrote: »
    Rubbish, 3 officially have no data roaming with Vodafone so typically you cannot connect to the internet when roaming on Vodafone, how can you be charged when there is no agreement so no data prices set. Turning on the data roaming is just a step to keeping the data connection with 3 more stable nothing more

I must be imagining all that internet surfing I've done out of 3g coverage then and the little gprs icon must have been a fluke.

I can turn off 3g and wifi and still use the internet. I have seen the page occasionally that says you are outside the three video service on 2g but going through my3 then allowed me to surf albeit slowly.

It's a problem with the phone! I'll bet a nokia would hold the 3G signal. They need to do something about being able to use data on 2G quick.

Peeps on 02/Vodafone aren't reporting any major problems with their 3g networks and the iPhone 4....there doesn't appear to be any EDGE network with 3 :( Its all or nothing

And nevermind Nokia's - a good Android phone is what you need! (After exhausting the planet of iPhone's of course....):cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

there doesn't appear to be any EDGE network with 3 :( Its all or nothing

Yeah that seems to be the case. What's with people saying it 'reverts to 2g'? Are some people seeing the 'E' or the circle with the hole in it? And is that an outside of Dublin area kind of thing? Haven't seen any indications of Edge or GPRS on my 3 iPhone 4.

I'm reasonably happy so far. Yes that '3g' indicator does disappear occasionally but in always comes back after a couple of minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭pah

Simon201 wrote: »
    the circle with the hole in it? .

Woah - I had that for a minute or 2 today what is it?

• Advertisement

pah wrote: »
    Simon201 wrote: »
    the circle with the hole in it? .

Woah - I had that for a minute or 2 today what is it?

It's Vodafone GPRS, It's what people on Vodafone have when they'e no 3G coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

I've been using a 3 PAYG card in my 3GS for the last few days just to test the network and when I lose the 3G signal it reverts to the small circle with the hole also. I'm in the middle of Galway city btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MjcMurfy

I'm also in Galway, and don't get the circle with hole icon when off 3G. No GPRS/edge access whatsoever. I'm on a contract though, but it shouldn't be different from PAYG should it?

Oh yeah, I also have the 3G dropping issue and can confirm that my number was ported from meteor. It's feckin annoying as hell. I thought I was in luck when I turned on the data roaming switch, and sure enough it definately made the connection more stable. But after a few hours the 3G dropped again, and refuses to switch back automatically. Haven't updated to 4.0.1 yet tho, so thats my next step I think.

Should the carrier selection be set to automatic or do we need to specify 3 (3G) in the list? Just wondering.

God I hope three get this sorted out soon, because it may just be a deal breaker for me. It's far too annoying as it currently is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

how do we know 3 are aware of the issue and are going to fix it ?

be great to get a 3 rep on here like vf/o2 have

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Just off the phone with 3, been on since 8 am...and i got put through to an iphone expert.....and i use the term loosely!
    Went through such a rigmarole, stuff i've already done, set the carrier to 3 (3g), turning on and off airplane mode....

They told me the only way to get 3g back, is the airplane mode trick, which to be honest, isn't good enough...so they have put a note on my account that i wish to cancel!

iPwnage wrote: »
    how do we know 3 are aware of the issue and are going to fix it ?

The issue is that when you've no 3G signal or it gets weak the iphone reverts back to 2G(Vodafone GPRS). If your not using data is does not make a difference if 3G is showing or not as you can still make calls and Texts. At the moment if you need data and you know your in a 3G area but the phone is showing your on GPRS you need to switch airplane mode on and off to Jump back to 3's 3G network.
    There well aware of the issue, how long it takes for them to enable data roaming is the big question, iPhone is now out what about 6 days? If they don't have it sorted i'd say in the next 8 days they'll regret it.

Blackberry is the only phone on 3 currently officially provisioned to use data on GPRS. The need to flick the switch for the iphone and the problem is sorted.

I could use data GPRS on my 3GS until about the week before the iphone 4 launched. They need to switch it back on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

MjcMurfy wrote: »
    I'm also in Galway, and don't get the circle with hole icon when off 3G. No GPRS/edge access whatsoever. I'm on a contract though, but it shouldn't be different from PAYG should it.
    I'm using a factory unlocked 3GS. I'm still on bill pay with o2 but I've stuck a few quid on a 3 card and I've been testing it out for reception etc. I haven't downloaded the 3 carrier settings and I'm definitely getting the circle with the hole icon when I lose 3G. If I toggle 3G on and off on settings it comes back! Weird ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I was going to move from O2 to three due to cheaper rates. Free landline calls would make a huge difference to my bill each month as an 'Add-on'.

I had a Three salesman on from India yesterday who promised me that the add-ons were valid for the length of the contract, went and checked with his manager and verified it. However, according to their terms and conditions these add-ons are only valid for 9 months. After reading out this out to him he finally agreed that Add-ons were not valid after June 30th 2011.

As I only know of one other person on Three I wouldn't be saving anything in the long term so sorry Three, nice try, I have to stick with O2 unfortunately.

Rip-off Ireland is alive and well cared for by the mobile phone companies. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

I am getting 3G full time in Galway.

When I head out into the country, I get data over GPRS. Icon is a circle, '3 1236195960909.gprs_icon.jpg'

The GPRS I'm getting is actually faster than the EDGE data I used to get on O2.

• Advertisement

Is that data costing you anything, movistar is spain? I didn't know there were any data roaming agreements in spain.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement