Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 4 on Three Ireland Network.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭stephenbrow

I seen this same issue now on the iphone4.... Man thats bad... I will gwt mine prob tuesday or wednesday so I will see how bad it is....

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

I haven't noticed this. I have, however, noticed an instant deathgrip effect. Even tipping the death-grip area results in loosing 3G, which is sort of annoying for when I am holding the phone at all. I put a piece of masking tape on until I can get a case.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 NealOCarroll

This is part of what I was told...

How about instead of telling us "part of" what you were told, you tell us all of it, and let us judge for ourselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,145 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Elessar wrote: »
    I'm seeing this aswell now. 3G signal dro
    pping and then the iPhone stays on the 2G network and I have to manually re-select 3G to get connected again.

WTF?

Quickest way to get back onto the 3g network is to go to settings and switch airplane mode off and on, that will bounce you back to 3g, if your using data on 3g the connection should hold. It's never once dropped 3g while I was tethering.

How about instead of telling us "part of" what you were told, you tell us all of it, and let us judge for ourselves?

I'm only telling people what to expect when they get the phone, Three are the cheapest but they simply aren’t the best. That's all I’m saying.

I was on the phone for about an hour but so I'm not going to remember everything.... They said they staff that were selling and answered the phone in CS were not trained on the iphone questions they were wrong to have told me there would be no issues and they couldn't take it back, as once i used it it was not returnable. (I know this is wrong, Distant Selling Regulations)

At the end of the call he said when the "issue" is resolved with a carrier update he will exchange the phone if I still have this problem.

A few days after the Carrier update I got a call from someone else saying, are you still having problems with your phone? when I said yes, he gave me a reference number to send it back. I think he a had the ref number ready.

I am getting a replacement iPhone4 (to replace my 3GS) delivered tomorrow, This will have the same issues but it’s a free exchange so I’m happy with that...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I'm only telling people what to expect when they get the phone, Three are the cheapest but they simply aren’t the best. That's all I’m saying.

I was on the phone for about an hour but so I'm not going to remember everything.... They said they staff that were selling and answered the phone in CS were not trained on the iphone questions they were wrong to have told me there would be no issues and they couldn't take it back, as once i used it it was not returnable. (I know this is wrong, Distant Selling Regulations)

At the end of the call he said when the "issue" is resolved with a carrier update he will exchange the phone if I still have this problem.

A few days after the Carrier update I got a call from someone else saying, are you still having problems with your phone? when I said yes, he gave me a reference number to send it back. I think he a had the ref number ready.

I am getting a replacement iPhone4 delivered tomorrow, This will have the same issues but it’s a free exchange so I’m happy with that...

You're getting a replacement which will have the same issues, but because its free you are happy with it? That doesn't make a lot of sense:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Also have an iphone with 3 and no problems either.

whiterebel wrote: »
    You're getting a replacement which will have the same issues, but because its free you are happy with it? That doesn't make a lot of sense:confused:

I want an iPhone on THREE because its the cheapest network for me, My bill were always over €180 on O2 and it's about €50 on Three, so I will still use three mainly for this reason,

and I'm happy to get a free iPhone4 at no extra cost as I would have stayed with three anyway, i'm sure oneday they will resolve this issue...

I want an iPhone on THREE because its the cheapest network for me, My bill were always over €180 on O2 and it's about €50 on Three, so I will still use three mainly for this reason,

and I'm happy to get a free iPhone4 at no extra cost as I would have stayed with three anyway, i'm sure oneday they will resolve this issue...

You sound like you're missing a couple of screws.

You start a "warning" thread which is basically just unwarranted brand bashing and yet you do all this and still stick with 3.

Sorry...but that's pathetic.

If you're that unhappy, just shutup and leave and stop clogging up a decent forum with crap.

So it's pathetic to warn people that there is an issue with the iPhone and three ?

Some have left because of this issue some are staying but it's good to let people know before ther sign up. I gave the reasons why I'm staying. And I didn't have a free upgrade before I posted this. So it is a warning. And maybe a shout to others that they can get a free upgrade if they're have the same issue.

So maybe you should shut up.

• Advertisement

Sure thing Stephen Brow.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭DonRosco

I'm very happy this thread is here. I'm having a lot of 3G issues since moving to three last week, so it's great to see some detail on it. The first post above by 'the entrepreneur' is the kind of thing that really sours forums.

Also, "Brand bashing" - MASSIVE LOL

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Maybe stephenbrow could clarify something? Have they replaced your 3GS iPhone with an iPhone 4? If so, it makes a lot more sense. I was reading it that you were getting an iPhone4 replacement for an iPhone 4, but were still expecting the same problem.

Maybe stephenbrow could clarify something? Have they replaced your 3GS iPhone with an iPhone 4? If so, it makes a lot more sense. I was reading it that you were getting an iPhone4 replacement for an iPhone 4, but were still expecting the same problem.

Hey, I'm getting an iPhone4 for 3GS....

Hey, iPhone4 for 3GS....

Yes, makes much more sense now.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭pah

OK guys me and my GF are having the EXACT same problem with dropping 3G. She got her iPhone Sat and mine today, she is on 4.0 i am on 4.0.1. we both have the carrier update but the issue was there before that.

I'm posting this using a 3 Mi-Fi 3G device, and I have coverage here. Had 2.5Mbps on speedtest.net earlier.

Now when I have 3G i only get one or two bars, like so.

3G.PNG

Sometimes the 3G will drop by itself, sometimes when I hold it wrong :rolleyes:
    Same with the GF. It NEVER comes back by itself. The best solution I've found so far is to have FB pushing updates to try & keep the connection alive.

When the 3G is dropped however my coverage goes to just "3" like so.

3.PNG

Full 3 coverage! 5 Bars no bother.

So will a bumper fix my problem? should I tape it up to see if it cures?
    Why do I only have 1-2 bars of 3G on the iPhone when my Mi-Fi has 4-5 bars?

HELP please :(:(:(

I have this issue with the iPhone 3G and 3GS.. Looks like it's something the network needs to fix. I never had this issue on any other network. So I think it's just the way it is on Three for now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

sorry for the side track lads I seen an ad for an iphone4 in cork the guy is telling me its locked to three network.it was an upgrade and does not have a receipt.sound dodgey?

fox007 wrote: »
    sorry for the side track lads I seen an ad for an iphone4 in cork the guy is telling me its locked to three network.it was an upgrade and does not have a receipt.sound dodgey?

you seen an ad ?

tried to cover the death grip area with some tape but it's still dropping 3G don't think it's a problem with the usual antenna issue that's known.

How is everyone on 3 not having the same problem? Remember I have full 3G coverage on the mi-fi right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

pah wrote: »
    you seen an ad ?

Yea an ad for a second hand iphone on a site.I just want to know if it sounds dodgy no receipt.is that the norm for an upgrad on 3 ya just walk in your due an upgrade walk out no receipt.I do not want to buy stolen goods:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

Got my iPhone on three today and having exact same issues...load of crap.

I haven't ported my number over yet, there is a 14 day cooling off period and if it doesn't improve its going back.

pah wrote: »
    OK guys me and my GF are having the EXACT same problem with dropping 3G. She got her iPhone Sat and mine today, she is on 4.0 i am on 4.0.1. we both have the carrier update but the issue was there before that.

I'm posting this using a 3 Mi-Fi 3G device, and I have coverage here. Had 2.5Mbps on speedtest.net earlier.

Now when I have 3G i only get one or two bars, like so.

3G.PNG

Sometimes the 3G will drop by itself, sometimes when I hold it wrong :rolleyes:
    Same with the GF. It NEVER comes back by itself. The best solution I've found so far is to have FB pushing updates to try & keep the connection alive.

When the 3G is dropped however my coverage goes to just "3" like so.

3.PNG

Full 3 coverage! 5 Bars no bother.

So will a bumper fix my problem? should I tape it up to see if it cures?
    Why do I only have 1-2 bars of 3G on the iPhone when my Mi-Fi has 4-5 bars?

HELP please :(:(:(

Nothing to do with the antenna. Has been a problem on my 3g and others GS'. Its like the 3g is going asleep and forgetting to wake up. I would have thought Apple would have a fix pretty quick now that 3 are official

Nothing to do with the antenna. Has been a problem on my 3g and others GS'. Its like the 3g is going asleep and forgetting to wake up. I would have thought Apple would have a fix pretty quick now that 3 are official

here's hoping cos i cant live with it like that - need 3g to be there when i have the coverage without this airplane switch crap. was putting my n97 on adverts - might hold off a while.

anyone got any ideas why i have plenty 3G coverage with mifi but very low on iPhone4?

might get a micro sim adapter & try it in the n97 for coverage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 PickleHead

Id Be worried if I were you guys , my bf and my dad were having the same issues with 3 and the 3g on their iphones so my bf returned his first thing this morning.

Now my dad on the other hand was on to 3 for 5 hours and this was an absolute nightmare , getting arsed around and passed off to other DEPT , I went into store they would not allow my dad to cancel under the cooling off period like my BF did , this has been a long drawn affair and as far as 3 are concerened unless you have documented 3G coverage issues with CC,Tech Dept,Iphone tech DEpt, CC , Iphone Tech dept, Tech again , I could be here all day like i was with 3... According to 3 there is no cooling off period except that you send your phone off to phonemenders to get it fixed when you only bought it FRIDAY.... BUYER BEWARE 3 IS TERRIBLE if you are used to a good internet service with o2....

Same issue but When i first called Three with my iPhone 3GS I was told by a supervisor that the cooling off period was void because I used the phone. So be careful They are not very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

This will be terrible if it's not rectified. I am only waiting for my iphone 4 to arrive, and I wrongly assumed that as soon as 3 became an official carrier, that this 3g issue would cease, but according to this thread, it seems not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 PickleHead

Same issue but When i first called Three with my iPhone 3GS I was told by a supervisor that the cooling off period was void because I used the phone. So be careful They are not very helpful.

Ya they claim that they dont honour a cooling off period on their iphones but i cant see this in the terms and conditions?

This will be terrible if it's not rectified. I am only waiting for my iphone 4 to arrive, and I wrongly assumed that as soon as 3 became an official carrier, that this 3g issue would cease, but according to this thread, it seems not.

That's exactly how I feel on this. I put up with the issue expecting the fix to come with the iPhone4. Hopefully it will. Sooner the better.

• Advertisement

PickleHead wrote: »
    Ya they claim that they dont honour a cooling off period on their iphones but i cant see this in the terms and conditions?

Best way to check this is to call Comreg about this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement