Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 4 on Three Ireland Network.

Options
1646566676870»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 wayne1976

Not really bothered about returning the phone. Will get another one from another provider or one sim free. Just looking forward to having a fully functioning service again. I guess three are offering these nice add on's to make up for poor basic service. Isee that they have discontinued 3 like home for their uk customers. This must be because their uk network seems to be quite good (well I never had any problems whilst roaming on their uk network like I do at home). Bye bye three!! Anyone using iPhone on meteor ? What's that like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

your location says it all... of course your not going to have a problem in the capital were there coverage will be excellent:rolleyes:

Fair point, but I've been in Galway a fair few times and even tethered the iPad via my iPhone and it's been brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭shanec1928

naasrd wrote: »
    Fair point, but I've been in Galway a fair few times and even tethered the iPad via my iPhone and it's been brilliant.
    but that is still a major city where they would have to have proper infrastructure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

but that is still a major city where they would have to have proper infrastructure

So what you're saying is if you live in the a-hole of no where don't use three? But if you live in a city etc, etc... Do you have a newsletter I can subscribe too?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ISAA

I live in Donegal, Killybegs area, and service from 3 is ****, I,ve rang and complained but no results, excellent service in the cites, but outside rubbish.
    Thank god my contract finishes in March, and I have 3 phones with them, will be moving ASAP.

Good by 3 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭shanec1928

naasrd wrote: »
    So what you're saying is if you live in the a-hole of no where don't use three? But if you live in a city etc, etc... Do you have a newsletter I can subscribe too?
    sarcasm_detector.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Am in D1 docklands surrounding area. 3G connection is awful.

Well moved to meteor and haven't had a problem at all so far. So happy to be away from three! Just glad to have a fully functioning service again!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ISAA

Mr.S wrote: »
    tbh thats not Three's fault, you should have checked there was signal in your area before signing up

I bought a prepay before I sign up, and cover was ok, but the main problem is the time lag in switching from 3 g cover to 2 g (Vodafone) 30 seconds, and I miss calls,

But it is 3's issue they should explain to customers of the llagging issues in certain area's or build a better network

ISAA wrote: »
    I bought a prepay before I sign up, and cover was ok, but the main problem is the time lag in switching from 3 g cover to 2 g (Vodafone) 30 seconds, and I miss calls,

But it is 3's issue they should explain to customers of the llagging issues in certain area's or build a better network

Agree 100% that was one of my issues with them. The 2g is not even 3 they roam on Vodafone for 2g coverage when you cannot access three's 3G network. They should divulge this and ask what the Vodafone covage is like in your area before signing you up. Anyway I'm glad to be free from them and happy with meteor now. Drove from Dublin to cork today and stopped a couple of times and each time I stopped I had meteor 3G coverage without having to flick airplane mode button to get 3G coverage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭fluffybunny124

wayne1976 wrote: »
    I have been with Three for 7 months now and thankfully I have just managed to get out of my Iphone contract with them. I had to go through some pain to get there but I have managed to do so.

I was experiencing very bad coverage issues at my home address. I was getting lots of "no service" on the phone a and also had trouble getting onto a 3g signal (and having to flick the airplane mode button a lot to try and get onto the 3G network). I raised this with them a month or so after getting my phone but they didn't really want to know so I tried to continure with them but just ended up doing my head in.

A couple of weeks ago I couldn't take it anymore and instead of calling them I emailed them describing my problem along with attaching screen shots of the iphone with no service etc. Needless to say I never got a reply at all. So my next stop was raising the issue with Com Reg (They advises that I should give three ten working days to respond, which I did but they never responded). They got onto three and hey presto within a couple of days they gave me a call back.

They had no reason as to why I didn't get a response to my mail other than "we must not have got it" I explained that was funny as i had copied com reg on the mail and they responded to me !! I ended up forwarding the mail to their external affairs department (external.affairs.ie@3mail.com) which the representative asked me to do.

They put me through to their networks team who went through some settings on the phone (I just knew from talking to the guy that he was fully aware of the issues and there was nothing really he could do and it was down to Three's shoddy coverage).

A couple of hours later the three representative came back to me asking if i still wanted to cancel my contract which i responded with yes please. I do have to return my iphone to the three store where I bought it which is fair enough.

Its a pity that Three can't provide a better service in Ireland as they have some nice perks such as being able to use your flexiunits in the UK along with having free data roaming in the uk also. But I just couldn't hack it anymore.

I just wanted to share this as I know there are other three customers out there with similar problems. Maybe this might help you get away from three too !!

Wayne, PM sent to you. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kingswimmer

Hi everyone ,
    my quick story with 3 network...:(

Went to 3 two days ago ,got a nice offer for 2 devices samsung galaxy s II and samsung galaxy tab 10.1 ,for €69 upfront cost and €61 a month for 2 years,couldn't decide so back there after 2 days ,brought everything they were asking for ,esb bill-proof of my address,driving licence,and bank details ,application from filled up,and we were waiting 5 min for call from three to confirm it,everything went well till I was told to pay €300 deposit !!!:eek:
    Nobody told me that b4 ,wasn't ready for this,didn't want to tell me why I have to pay it,so called three in UK ,supervisor told me that they will give me my €300 back in next 6 months if my bills will be paid on time!!But don't they get my direct debit ??? they would take the bill amount from my account themselfs so how come they need deposit????:confused:
    Did anybody have the same problem or it is DISCRIMINATION!!!:mad:
    Any help very welcome .
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

They give you a grands worth of devices and you could just cancel the direct debit so it's fair enough. Should have told you before though.

I'm trying to understand that that ,but I wanted to move from meteor bill pay to 3 bill pay ,so I'm not coming from nowhere,and I'm with meteor for 3 years now.
    I think they should say thay you might be ask for deposit if it happens sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

They can't verify any previous history with another company though. Meteor do the same with their free offer they have. Good deal though for the 60 quid there. Think it's on the back of a lot of people just taking free phones and legging it.

I agree discombobulate but as you said they should told me that before!

It is a great deal ,but never heard that Meteor do that same ,my friend works there so I know their offer very well.
    Thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭seankb

Hi everyone ,
    my quick story with 3 network...:(

Went to 3 two days ago ,got a nice offer for 2 devices samsung galaxy s II and samsung galaxy tab 10.1 ,for €69 upfront cost and €61 a month for 2 years,couldn't decide so back there after 2 days ,brought everything they were asking for ,esb bill-proof of my address,driving licence,and bank details ,application from filled up,and we were waiting 5 min for call from three to confirm it,everything went well till I was told to pay €300 deposit !!!:eek:
    Nobody told me that b4 ,wasn't ready for this,didn't want to tell me why I have to pay it,so called three in UK ,supervisor told me that they will give me my €300 back in next 6 months if my bills will be paid on time!!But don't they get my direct debit ??? they would take the bill amount from my account themselfs so how come they need deposit????:confused:
    Did anybody have the same problem or it is DISCRIMINATION!!!:mad:
    Any help very welcome .
    Thanks

That is standard practice the deposit depends on the price plan you choose. If you lower your price plan the deposit will come down but you might have to Pay more for the devices. Also if you do pay it and after the 6 months ring them and ask for it back I assumed they would just reimburse me the money after 6 months but no after 8 months I had to ring them for it. Hope this helps.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Meteor are definitely doing it recently, particularly with iPhone 4s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

The days of easy credit are long over thats why they are doing it, pretty annoying though when you arent prepared for it.
    Still its €1000 worth of top end electronics,about a third of it on deposit isnt too bad when you consider what youre getting.
    €60 a month is a good deal alright!

Whats the story with the galaxy tab? Can they disable it like they bar a mobile if you dont pay etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭wez99950

i've recently switched to 3 (to avail of their 3 at home which has been a life saver over here in the UK) but when i switched my settings changed - before (on o2) i had the option of turning off 3G and just using edge. I used to just stick with Edge to save battery and now that i have no option but to use 3G my battery life has dramatically reduced.

is there a way to get that option back - turn off 3G but still have the internet on? did 3 change the settings on my phone?

wez99950 wrote: »
    i've recently switched to 3 (to avail of their 3 at home which has been a life saver over here in the UK) but when i switched my settings changed - before (on o2) i had the option of turning off 3G and just using edge. I used to just stick with Edge to save battery and now that i have no option but to use 3G my battery life has dramatically reduced.

is there a way to get that option back - turn off 3G but still have the internet on? did 3 change the settings on my phone?

The 3G setting is being controlled by the three sim chip in your phone. This is down to the fact that 3 don't have an edge network in Ireland. The edge service they have in Ireland is provided by Vodafone . I think this setting is removed because it would issues with having to fall over to Vodafone for non 3G service all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

wez99950 wrote: »

Three don't want you using GPRS/EDGE because as wayne points out, Three do not operate their own GPRS/EDGE network, they lease capacity off vodafone.

Therefore, you being constantly on EDGE by disabling 3G would be costing them money so they disable the option in the carrier file on your iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭wez99950

Thank you Wayne and kensington for the info. A pity - will have to get used to this battery life now and have chargers all over the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

So whats the 3 network like is it good coverage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

So whats the 3 network like is it good coverage ?

Really?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement