Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 4 on Three Ireland Network.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

****OK I was about to post the update below and 3G dropped and server stopped responding, i tried twice and nothing, now im using wifi...
    Has the Carrier update not worked....

Again, the iPhone performs perfectly well on 3IRL, having the carrier settings just automates the process. But I have been using an iPhone with 3IRL for 2 years without problems. You may not have input some settings correctly, especially since you mention that you were unable to send MMS.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭stephenbrow

culabula wrote: »
    Again, the iPhone performs perfectly well on 3IRL, having the carrier settings just automates the process. But I have been using an iPhone with 3IRL for 2 years without problems. You may not have input some settings correctly, especially since you mention that you were unable to send MMS.

Again Three said there was an issue as many people have said it here.. because your works fine doesnt mean anything to me. The settings are correct. I have an iphone on Three for nearly 2 years so I know what im talking about.

On the MMS they magicaly work today since the carrier update.

Again Three said there was an issue as many people have said it here.. because your works fine doesnt mean anything to me. The settings are correct. I have an iphone on Three for nearly 2 years so I know what im talking about.

On the MMS they magicaly work today since the carrier update.

I regret, but if MMS only started working for you today, then your settings were not correct.

Besides, you have now got an brand-new unlocked iPhone from 3 for a relatively small outlay -no? That's a highly sellable item on Twitter and eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sigfridb

FYI Some info about Three and the iPhone.

1 - Loss or no 3G connection it's a recent issue since the iOS4 upgrade, it can affect ALL carrier. Try to upgrade to iOS 4.0.1. released 2 days ago.

2 - Since today you CANNOT change the APN settings on the iphone for 3G and MMS on Three. Three now blocks it and push the settings to your phone.

3 - I had an iPhone 3GS for 3 months with 3 (provided by Three themselves) and never had any issues.

Any question, let me know :)

from above
    1 - Loss or no 3G connection it's a recent issue since the iOS4 upgrade..

this is not true in my case, I am using three a long time before OS4 and always had this issue, on two different iPhones.

• Advertisement

from above
    1 - Loss or no 3G connection it's a recent issue since the iOS4 upgrade..

this is not true in my case, I am using three a long time before OS4 and always had this issue, on two different iPhones.

I see, well then either your SIM is faulty or something on you account on the Three side sin't right.

Also did you update to 4.0.1?

sigfridb wrote: »
    FYI Some info about Three and the iPhone.

1 - Loss or no 3G connection it's a recent issue since the iOS4 upgrade, it can affect ALL carrier. Try to upgrade to iOS 4.0.1. released 2 days ago.

2 - Since today you CANNOT change the APN settings on the iphone for 3G and MMS on Three. Three now blocks it and push the settings to your phone.

3 - I had an iPhone 3GS for 3 months with 3 (provided by Three themselves) and never had any issues.

Any question, let me know :)

You can no longer change APN on any network that is an official carrier but more than likely, the APN included with the carrier files is 3internet in the case of 3ireland. You could change them manually by inserting it in a MiFi or maybe another handset, or in an iPad.

You can no longer change APN on any network that is an official carrier but more than likely, the APN included with the carrier files is 3internet in the case of 3ireland. You could change them manually by inserting it in a MiFi or maybe another handset, or in an iPad.

Well, i don't really see the point of changing it as i believe Three is pushing the right settings (for me at least), so I don't think the settings are something to worry about anymore. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

You can no longer change APN on any network that is an official carrier .
    i have always bein able to edit the apn, i'm with o2 and have 4.0.1

guil wrote: »

It's a carrier feature, some allow it, some others don't. Until today we were able to edit the APN on Three, but not anymore.

• Advertisement

It's a carrier feature, some allow it, some others don't. Until today we were able to edit the APN on Three, but not anymore.
    i know what it is, vodafone did the same

guil wrote: »

yes, I noticed this yesterday. Odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

How do I avoid the carrier update? So far, I can still edit the APN settings, and I want to keep it that way! I don't like the idea of anyone being able to mess with my phone settings without my go-ahead, so I'm hoping that I'll get asked before my phone accepts any such update!

Well, i don't really see the point of changing it as i believe Three is pushing the right settings (for me at least), so I don't think the settings are something to worry about anymore. :)

Agreed and probably 3internet is now (hopefully) their default one but....

When you're on the move it is oftimes necessary to change the APN: 3ireland.ie is a hoor and often won't let you do the simplest things - like use JellySMS To send web texts via Vodafone.ie. But sometimes is works better then 3internet in certain parts of the country. Also, 3 Italia's APN, tre.it is far superior to both of them -and works.

ya have to accept the carrier update in itunes

Johnmb wrote: »
    How do I avoid the carrier update? So far, I can still edit the APN settings, and I want to keep it that way! I don't like the idea of anyone being able to mess with my phone settings without my go-ahead, so I'm hoping that I'll get asked before my phone accepts any such update!

You can just say no, but why would you avoid having all the right settings for your carrier?

Carriers do so to make sure all their users use the right settings on their phone.

Only you can accept it: I personally don't mind as I have so many other means of editing should it become necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Good to know I have to accept it, thanks. I wasn't asked earlier when I hooked up the phone to iTunes, that's why I was getting a little worried that it might happen in the background somewhere!

To sigfridb, I have the correct settings on my phone, if it ain't broke don't fix it is my motto :D Plus, as another poster mentioned, sometimes it is good to be able to switch the settings...

To sigfridb, I have the correct settings on my phone, if it ain't broke don't fix it is my motto :D Plus, as another poster mentioned, sometimes it is good to be able to switch the settings...

True!! :)

Good to know I have to accept it, thanks. I wasn't asked earlier when I hooked up the phone to iTunes, that's why I was getting a little worried that it might happen in the background somewhere!

Well, a lot of Irish people have consistently used the wrong settings for MMS, and this cures it. It is tiresome too, forever inputting them.

Note that from 4.0, carrier settings will be offered OTA, but you still do not have to accept them.

• Advertisement

Also just to note with the carrier update the issue of having to search for 3G or go to airport mode for a second to use the internet is still happening.

I went to the Three shop a few mins ago, and I was asking the guy did he get his update and did he have issues with this iphone and internet connection, :) He said he didnt get the update and never has issues with internet, as he said this he went to safari and then to airport mode to get connection... "ohh thats normal..."

well its not on any other network...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Also just to note with the carrier update the issue of having to search for 3G or go to airport mode for a second to use the internet is still happening.

I went to the Three shop a few mins ago, and I was asking the guy did he get his update and did he have issues with this iphone and internet connection, :) He said he didnt get the update and never has issues with internet, as he said this he went to safari and then to airport mode to get connection... "ohh thats normal..."

well its not on any other network...

Mine seems to be ok now since the 7.1 carrier update from 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭MrTrebus

just to add,

does ANYONE have the CORRECT manual settings for 3 MMS for an iPhone 3g s/w ver 3.1.3 ???
    I used to have them, updated my phone to 4.01 and got the automatic updates, that was fine except the battery life was horrendous.
    I had to downgrade it back to 3.1.3 and the MMS carrier settings have changed to 5.1 and I cannot send MMS anymore.
    Even the three shop cant help me !!!

Hopefully someone out there has the correct settings on their phone and can let me know what they are !

cheers

MrT

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭MrTrebus

anybody help,
    before I go postal and upgrade to 4.1 again :eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

• APN : 3ireland.ie
    • Username : (Blank)
    • Password : (Blank)
    • MMSC : http://mms.um.3ireland.ie:10021/mmsc/
    • MMS Proxy : 217.171.129.2:8799
    • MMS Max Message Size : 300200
    • MMS UA Prof URL : (Blank)
    try inputting these and restart your phone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

It drops network and stays on 3 rather than 3G, So then when you want to use the net, you have to search for networks and select 3G and try get that connected.

I tried "3" also in preparation for a possible move for an iphone 4.
    I was using a prepay sim in my unlocked 3gs and found exactly the same as you. I live in an area with a 5 bar 3G reception, but when I moved to another area the phone changed to normal gprs, but when I returned home, it would never return to 3g reception, unless I rebooted the phone or re-selected the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

just rang my local car phone warhouse, they will have 3/4 iphones for 3 network friday morning :eek:

lurks !!

ill be there early if i dont get one online tomo night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

BOBBY wrote: »
    just rang my local car phone warhouse, they will have 3/4 iphones for 3 network friday morning :eek:

lurks !!

ill be there early if i dont get one online tomo night

Don't forget to bring your sleeping bag!

Im gonna change my 3GS for the iPhone4 Hope this works... 3 are the cheapest and you get the most minutes, just hope the network is fixed for the iphone4.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

I'm seeing this aswell now. 3G signal dropping and then the iPhone stays on the 2G network and I have to manually re-select 3G to get connected again.

WTF?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement