Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hooray, weve had rain!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

The rain weve had the last week has done nothing. Garden is still very very dry, but greener, the canal and river next to me is still dry, just the odd pool here and there where the rain has collected, but not even a trickle!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

The weir on the Corrib River in Galway is at half a gate open - normally one gate even in the driest summers - to ensure the intake for the water supply for Galway City can still work - if Corrib drops any lower then we could be looking at water shortages in the city.

God, Thats hard to believe that Lough Corrib has emptied out so much since the heavy rain last year. Hopefully the water wont get any lower, otherwise we'd need to upgrade the water system in Galway again!

Seems we have missed all that rain that came up from the SW today. just a bit of drizzle the last hour or so, infact more of a mist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

clare is not really benefiting from this rain in terms of replenishing water supplies. its far too light. we could be in serious trouble should the weather pick up again

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

i really dont think you have to worry about that all i see is rain rain rain for the next week :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭woysworld

rain rain rain all next week... lovely!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    clare is not really benefiting from this rain in terms of replenishing water supplies. its far too light. we could be in serious trouble should the weather pick up again

We aren't going to die if it dosen't rain, i think i've got more chance of dying if i don't get some warm, hot sunshine! Its rain system after rain system according to the bbc forecast and londons min tonight is 20c!:mad: How do you think they are coping, you don't need bloody rain we get enough of it here, i've had it everysingle day since i've been off for summer and ever since i got off the weather has got worse and worse here and better and better in london!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

soon enough people who wanted rain will start complaing about too much rain if it's a washout right up to harvest time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

WolfeIRE wrote: »

Same here Wolf, rivers are still very low despite a July total of 32.1mm so far. I really don't mind if the rest of the summer is wet just so long as it is warm. Will do the earth the world of good. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

More rain needed, its way too light here now!!!

• Advertisement

More rain needed, its way too light here now!!!

Would you stop wishing for bloody rain, if you don't stop i'll end up of two months of it!:mad:

owenc wrote: »
    Would you stop wishing for bloody rain, if you don't stop i'll end up of two months of it!:mad:

The ground is still extremely dry, and the rivers are really low.

We aren't going to die if it dosen't rain, i think i've got more chance of dying if i don't get some warm, hot sunshine! Its rain system after rain system according to the bbc forecast and londons min tonight is 20c!:mad: How do you think they are coping, you don't need bloody rain we get enough of it here, i've had it everysingle day since i've been off for summer and ever since i got off the weather has got worse and worse here and better and better in london!

Ever thought of moving to London? I was there 3 weeks ago, was far too hot for me. 30c is too much. 21-25c is perfect!

Same here Wolf, rivers are still very low despite a July total of 32.1mm so far. I really don't mind if the rest of the summer is wet just so long as it is warm. Will do the earth the world of good. :)

The rain we have had has really just soaked into the ground and been soaked up again by the vegetation!

The ground is still extremely dry, and the rivers are really low.

Extremely dry my a*** :mad:, have you been to the midwest in the usa? No, well that explains it then. You haven't seen dry until you go there! And who cares if the ground is dry or the rivers are low.

snaps wrote: »
    Ever thought of moving to London? I was there 3 weeks ago, was far too hot for me. 30c is too much. 21-25c is perfect!

21c is freezing no harm to you but i have had that and i still want to go on holidays to get away from this hell hole , 40c for me will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

21c is freezing no harm to you but i have had that and i still want to go on holidays to get away from this hell hole , 40c for me will do.

You need to go to Death Valley for your hols so.;)

DeathValley.jpg

lord lucan wrote: »
    You need to go to Death Valley for your hols so.;)

DeathValley.jpg

you should show that to them ones that are moaning about rain everytime they moan about it to shut them up!

Or madrid/center of Spain temps have been in the 40's there!

Extremely dry my a*** :mad:, have you been to the midwest in the usa? No, well that explains it then. You haven't seen dry until you go there! And who cares if the ground is dry or the rivers are low.

Very imature comment. A lot of people make their living off the land here in regards to farming. Fishing is also a huge money maker, especially in my neck of the woods with tourism.

Also places like death valley, northern Australia/North Africa etc are used to dry climates with barely any rain, so wildlife/life copes with it.

If it happens here the whole ecological system is thrown into turmoil, wildlife cannot cope and die, crops die etc etc.

Theres more to this world than humans sitting out in the sun enjoyin a cold beer............like i was earlier:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

Theres more to this world than humans sitting out in the sun enjoyin a cold beer............like i was earlier:D

Aaarrgh, I hate you so much right now :p..... Been raining here almost constantly (during daylight hours at the very least) since approx 9.00 am yesterday :(.

Badly needed though but the planned painting and grass cutting is kaput... and am back to work next Monday :mad:

Very imature comment. A lot of people make their living off the land here in regards to farming. Fishing is also a huge money maker, especially in my neck of the woods with tourism.

Also places like death valley, northern Australia/North Africa etc are used to dry climates with barely any rain, so wildlife/life copes with it.

If it happens here the whole ecological system is thrown into turmoil, wildlife cannot cope and die, crops die etc etc.

Yea well them selfish farmers better start thinking about people who are off for their summer holidays and not themselves!:( They've got all year to get they're ****ty rain! Its not a drought either, in america a drought is like a whole region the size of the uk without rain anywhere not even a mm for like 3 years or something like that! Its not fair all i want is sunshine! Its not under average rain either its above average rain.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

it's been raining here for almost 24 hours now and by the looks of things its gonna rain for another 12-18 hours. There could be flooding by 2moro.

No I haven't. but in Ireland we are suited to our climate, and prepared for it, not prepared foor 50% of rain from December to july. And I care if the ground is dry, i'm a farmer, and i care trhat the rivers are low cos of canoeing, and more importantly because we'll have no water on tap otherwise. And low water is an excuse for the green party and their water charges.

21 is a warm Irish summer. Below 0 is freezing. and 40 is wayyy too hot. Have you ever actually been in 40 with high humidity???

Yea well them selfish farmers better start thinking about people who are off for their summer holidays and not themselves!:( They've got all year to get they're ****ty rain! Its not a drought either, in america a drought is like a whole region the size of the uk without rain anywhere not even a mm for like 3 years or something like that! Its not fair all i want is sunshine! Its not under average rain either its above average rain.

Why should we think about you're enjoyment of your holidays over our livlihoods? Just my opinion, but you're the one being selfish here. And the past 6 months, especially may and june, is a drought for Ireland. THIS IS IRELAND, NOT AMERICA!!! And what youve described is a desert, not a drought, you dont fatten cattle and ripen barley in a desert.And it is under average, a lot of places were still under average for THIS month up until today at least. Go move to spain or something.

No I haven't. but in Ireland we are suited to our climate, and prepared for it, not prepared foor 50% of rain from December to july. And I care if the ground is dry, i'm a farmer, and i care trhat the rivers are low cos of canoeing, and more importantly because we'll have no water on tap otherwise. And low water is an excuse for the green party and their water charges.

21 is a warm Irish summer. Below 0 is freezing. and 40 is wayyy too hot. Have you ever actually been in 40 with high humidity???

Why should we think about you're enjoyment of your holidays over our livlihoods? Just my opinion, but you're the one being selfish here. And the past 6 months, especially may and june, is a drought for Ireland. THIS IS IRELAND, NOT AMERICA!!! And what youve described is a desert, not a drought, you dont fatten cattle and ripen barley in a desert.And it is under average, a lot of places were still under average for THIS month up until today at least. Go move to spain or something.

Yea it was 44c in florida, that didn't feel that warm either, and humidity was 60%.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Yea it was 44c in florida, that didn't feel that warm either, and humidity was 60%.

WTF?!! Now you're taking the piss!:rolleyes:

44c in florida? no humidity?

I thought Florida was in the sub tropics, Miami is one of the most uncomfatable places to live with the humidity, thus all the hurricanes!

44c only happens in dry hot deserts or in direct sunlight!

44c in florida? no humidity?

I thought Florida was in the sub tropics, Miami is one of the most uncomfatable places to live with the humidity, thus all the hurricanes!

44c only happens in dry hot deserts or in direct sunlight!

Are you saying the weather channel is lying.:rolleyes:.. and your saying 60% humidity isn't high!

lord lucan wrote: »
    WTF?!! Now you're taking the piss!:rolleyes:

Get a life.:mad:

• Advertisement

Hottest ever recorded temp in florida was 109F which is 42c in 1931.

60% humidity is very average to low. Dublin is currently 97% humidity!

Advertisement