Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hooray, weve had rain!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

owenc wrote: »
    Just seen the bbc forecast and nearly flipped when she said rain tomorrow, gimmie a break.:rolleyes:

Some people eh :rolleyes:

We've had a virtual drought for over 6 months, you've had weeks and weeks of dry weather, and you start moaning as soon as we get a break in the weather. I for one am delighted to see a bit of rain, the garden needs it badly, and the rivers and lakes need a lot more yet. Salmon and sea trout stocks are suffering badly with the low water, and I'd be a lot more worried about them than you missing a few hours of your beloved sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

As a kayaker, I'm glad of a bit of water in the rivers.
    Generally though the water tables are quite low for the time of year, and we'll run into real trouble later this summer unless we get a decent sup of rain spread out over a few days - to give the ground a chance to actually soak it in before it runs off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Sulmac wrote: »
    http://www.ogimet.com/home.phtml.en

Ballykelly's warmest temperature yesterday (since it's 1 July now) was 22.8 ºC.

The highest in N.I. (and Ireland as a whole) was in Castlederg: 23.2 ºC.

What happened to all the other weather stations it seems there was one in moyle and in portrush, thats a real pity, do they still exsist?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

What happened to all the other weather stations it seems there was one in moyle and in portrush, thats a real pity, do they still exsist?

Were they Met Office stations? If so, it's likely that a lot of them have been decommissioned.

Sulmac wrote: »
    Were they Met Office stations? If so, it's likely that a lot of them have been decommissioned.

Ugh why i could've used them!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I dont mind us getting a bit a rain over the next few days but what worrys me is that when the atlantic brings rain, it sparks off months on end of non stop rain and thats what really worrys me. All we need is a day or rain or so and were sorted but I get the horrible feeling were in for a cool washout July and August.

Gonzo wrote: »
    I dont mind us getting a bit a rain over the next few days but what worrys me is that when the atlantic brings rain, it sparks off months on end of non stop rain and thats what really worrys me. All we need is a day or rain or so and were sorted but I get the horrible feeling were in for a cool washout July and August.

I know several people who have not been able to take showers for weeks now, as their water supply has completely dried up and the storage tanks are empty. A day of rain would do sweet FA for them. I hope we get a couple of inches over the next week to reduce the soil moisture deficit countrywide, then I don't mind if the good weather returns as long as get the odd downpour to top things up...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

It's getting really wild here, wind really picked up the last 5 minutes, haven't heard that low growling sound in ages and the sea is looking increasingly menacing, major storm on the way by the look of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Zzippy wrote: »
    I know several people who have not been able to take showers for weeks now, as their water supply has completely dried up and the storage tanks are empty...
    What parts of Ireland did people run out of water? I heard inishmore in the Aran islands were low but I didnt know anywhere on the mainland was already out of water. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

we desperatly need more rain here. I was watching a huge operation yesterday by the western fisheries board along with volunteers to rescue over 200 trout that had got stranded in a dried up river.

If any of you witness fish that have got stranded due to rivers drying up, contact your local fisheries board.

That really hit home to me on how dry things are, even old farmers down the pub last night were saying only time they can remember things so bad was 1976.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

The water level in the Corrib is also noticeably low - I can't ever remember seeing the river this bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

snaps wrote: »

That really hit home to me on how dry things are, even old farmers down the pub last night were saying only time they can remember things so bad was 1976.

Rainfall totals at Claremorris for the period Jan to June 1976 were still well over 120mm more than for the total for the same period this year! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

What parts of Ireland did people run out of water? I heard inishmore in the Aran islands were low but I didnt know anywhere on the mainland was already out of water. :eek:

I wasn't out of water but I have to manage the water, it was getting really bad before the recent rain, cattle more thirsty and water usage up, had to turn the water pump off at night to give it a rest.

The wells are very low in water, a pond near me had gone dry and it killed thousands of tadpoles, last year was great for the frogs.

Bad weather at the moment is dry and sunny weather, we can keep the warmth...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

It seems not that long ago (maybe march?) that most low lying fields were still lakes from the november rains. Its amazing how dry weve gotten since then.

It seems not that long ago (maybe march?) that most low lying fields were still lakes from the november rains. Its amazing how dry weve gotten since then.

The last time i checked they were covered in a foot of snow.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

The last time i checked they were covered in a foot of snow.:cool:
    A foot of snow in July !! - that's some micro-climate Owen :eek:

Fionagus wrote: »
    A foot of snow in July !! - that's some micro-climate Owen :eek:

No in march.

A healthy 8.1mm either during the night or early this morning. Drizzle still on and off but watery sunshine winning out. Wind not that strong yet 15mph mean at the mo, gusting 31mph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

winds have eased considerably since clearance. Still blustery with occasional drizzle in between brief brighter interludes. Temp 16c

Some nice long sunny spells moving in, ive just had a cup of tea in the garden, 1st time since about 10 days ago!

• Advertisement

snaps wrote: »
    Some nice long sunny spells moving in, ive just had a cup of tea in the garden, 1st time since about 10 days ago!

Huh? It was 25c here on thursday...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

we've just had some very heavy rain here, saw there's a severe weather warning for southwest scotland for heavy rain, maybe we got some of that!

milly4ever wrote: »
    we've just had some very heavy rain here, saw there's a severe weather warning for southwest scotland for heavy rain, maybe we got some of that!

Why do they have a warning out for them when so far i've had stronger winds than them.:mad: Theres some very high cumulnimbous clouds floating about now.

Winds defo on the increase here now. 24mph mean at the mo. Hirlam shows a surge of stronger winds heading into the west now:

119010.gif

Gusting up to 50mph here now!! :D:D

Stronger than at anytime during last winter/spring! Very mild with bright sunshine makes it very pleasant to be out in though. :):)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Only managed 0.6mm of rain from that. Could be doing with more.

Winds defo on the increase here now. 24mph mean at the mo. Hirlam shows a surge of stronger winds heading into the west now:

119010.gif

Stronger than at anytime during last winter/spring! Very mild with bright sunshine makes it very pleasant to be out in though. :):)

Does that mean i'll get 70mph gusts! Yes its warm at 20c now and lovely and sunny but quite funny seeing the clouds fly by you its like being on a plane.

119010.gif

My garden furniture just went on a trip!!

Up to 26mph mean now! Gust speeds frequently over 40mph but not passing 50mph. Getting very boisterous out there now! :D 17.4c with cheery sunshine.

Edit: wind alarm just being triggered off on my Davis! first time I heard that!!!

Why do they have a warning out for them when so far i've had stronger winds than them.:mad: Theres some very high cumulnimbous clouds floating about now.

Your a gas man, sometimes you make me chuckle!!!!!:D

• Advertisement

That was near Newport, Co. Mayo, people who rely on a stream for their water supply and have never had their tanks run dry before. I heard Inis Meain was in trouble too, and guesthouses on all the islands were asking people not to take showers unless totally necessary... hopefully the rain last week and the good drop forecast this week will help everyone out. The weir on the Corrib River in Galway is at half a gate open - normally one gate even in the driest summers - to ensure the intake for the water supply for Galway City can still work - if Corrib drops any lower then we could be looking at water shortages in the city.

On the plus side, salmon and sea trout have been able to run most rivers in Connemara, and fishing is picking up! :)

Advertisement