Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hooray, weve had rain!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

goat2 wrote: »
    i bet the emergency health departments will be swilling tonight with people suffering sunstroke

Aye in london, wait to you hear the drama of it on the bbc news tonight.:rolleyes: "it was 30,0000c in london today":rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

id like to think that the heavy rain forecasted for next thursday and friday is just a temporary hicup in a long run of dry, warm and sunny weather this summer. I really hope this is not the return of the atlantic because if it is, then there may be no stoping the rain systems for months on end. If we really do need some rain it would have been much better in the form of spanish thunderstorms moving over Ireland for a day or 2 followed by a continuation of hot and sunny weather. I too think that if we get alot of rain next week nearly everyone will be wishing for dry conditions again, rain gets boring and miserable very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

it's like a monsoon here now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

This is a rain celebration thread.

Can the fans of dried up prunes please enjoy the sun in a sun appreciation thread.

Some of us like juicy plums.

:p

sunny and bone dry here in wicklow and 23c

What is this rain you speak of? we had none today,it's windy though,like a scirroco!

Rain here so far is about as common as England goals in this world cup and thats rare..

• Advertisement

sunny and bone dry here in wicklow and 23c

What is this rain you speak of? we had none today,it's windy though,like a scirroco!

Rain here so far is about as common as England goals in this world cup and thats rare..

They're better than the irish team, that didn't even get into the world cup.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

owenc wrote: »

Would have been Irish title only for the cheats and the cowards saw Ireland would win so they didn't let them in.:mad:

caseyann wrote: »
    Would have been Irish title only for the cheats and the cowards saw Ireland would win so they didn't let them in.:mad:

ugh well, its not as bad as america being beaten by an african team!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

ugh well, its not as bad as america being beaten by an african team!

Bet they are all screaming for rain there now :D

Were they :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

It was raining in South Africa yesterday.

Some believe the lies spread by Band aid when they sang "where nothing ever grows, no rain, no rivers flow, plus it was a lie that 'there won't be snow in Africa this Christmas time"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

what is it right now in london

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Yes 31/32 for london, lets see if they can get it... but are you serious why the hell would anyone want rain!!!
    Well, i haven't seen much rain either, the fields are turning yellow and all that, but who cares its not like we are in a proper drought like in africa or somewhere, infact this isn't a drought at all its pathetic if theres still plants growing then its not a drought, plus a horrible storm just dropped eglinton from 20c to 15c and now i won't know if my readings are accurate or will we be the warmest station in ni again.:mad:
    I couldn't care less if it dosen't rain, i'm sick of it i don't want anymore rain, its depressing! We don't need the rain here anyway according to that graph.
    Because its all dark and dull, why else, why do you like it, plus i've already seen a week and half of cloud i don't want anymore
    Yes and when its bright and sunny you go can go places etc etc and its all lovely and bright, and its clouded over now and the temperature will probably start dropping:(:mad:

You really don't like rain, do you??:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

GER4-ENG1

Aye in london, wait to you hear the drama of it on the bbc news tonight.:rolleyes: "it was 30,0000c in london today":rolleyes:

Well they do need something to distract them from the football result!!!:P

Didn't see Norn Irons team in this world cup either!!!

At least we have a valid excuse (i.e. terry henry and his hand of gaul)

Well they do need something to distract them from the football result!!!:P

Didn't see Norn Irons team in this world cup either!!!

At least we have a valid excuse (i.e. terry henry and his hand of gaul)

oh come on do you seriously expect them to get in.:eek: I just go for england, thats only team that will get in.

without exaggeration huge parts of western Ireland are waterlogged bogs
    according to historical records the liffey ran dry once in 1459 - this implies a drought a year long!!

http://booty.org.uk/booty.weather/climate/1400_1499.htm

For the space of 2 minutes!!!

heavy rain for Cork and Tipp an parts of Connaught Good news for farmers there

I guess we will need a hell of a lot of rain to end the drought. Today's rain should help somewhat but i reckon it won't put an end to water restrictions.
    118269.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Been raining on and off for the last hour here in Galway. Nothing particularly heavy but enough to give 3.3mm so far. Light drizzle and pallidly overcast at the mo. Temp on 15.3c. :)

For the space of 2 minutes!!!

I noticed that too. How did that happen!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

West Waterford nothing so far that would help any crops grow.

• Advertisement

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    heavy rain for Cork and Tipp an parts of Connaught Good news for farmers there

I guess we will need a hell of a lot of rain to end the drought. Today's rain should help somewhat but i reckon it won't put an end to water restrictions.

Any rain in the foreseeable future will be soaked into the soil, it will not make it into rivers and resevoirs for a long time yet.

I noticed that too. How did that happen!!!

Could have been when the tide was at its lowest point there was no water flowing or something. Impossible to tell because the Liffey had a natural course back then, now it has 10 weirs and 2 hydroelectric dams.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

A decent soak is underway here in Galway for the first time since around April. I am uncomplaining as indeed are my Petunias and Begonias . My long empty runoff barrel is overflowing for the first time in months.

The sun will be back this evening or tomorrow :D

anyone know why the rainfall radar http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp?ani=y does not correspond with the 3hr projected rainfall image? The Northern half of the country seems to be seeing most rainfall on the radar yet thge 3hr char shows Munster getting most rainfall.

anyone know why the rainfall radar http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp?ani=y does not correspond with the 3hr projected rainfall image? The Northern half of the country seems to be seeing most rainfall on the radar yet thge 3hr char shows Munster getting most rainfall.

3hr rainfall chart is only a forecast Wolf. There is a lot of disagreement in general between the main hi res models as to the exact path the main band of rain will take over Ireland. UKMO has it passing over the south, while HIRLAM have it more north. GFS seems to be in the miggle somewhere, which seems to be most correct so far.

Thanks Deep. Makes sense. Hirlam has it moving away east all the time which means Clare, which is experiencing a severe drought at present, will have benefited little from today's rain. Thursday is expected to bring heavier downpours but the way things are going it's hit and miss. The sunny, warm conditions in between may render all precip useless for replenishing reservoirs. Better go to aldi and get 18 litres for 1 euro.

Thanks Deep. Makes sense. Hirlam has it moving away east all the time which means Clare, which is experiencing a severe drought at present, will have benefited little from today's rain. Thursday is expected to bring heavier downpours but the way things are going it's hit and miss. The sunny, warm conditions in between may render all precip useless for replenishing reservoirs. Better go to aldi and get 18 litres for 1 euro.

Yep Wolf, although yr.no, which also uses its own strand of the HIRLAM model, seems insistant that the heaviest bursts will hit the NW later with possible thunder:

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Clare/Ennis/

Seems to be at odds with the DMI model. I think it is to do with the small low that is developing off the west coast at the moment. Latest station analysis:

118276.gif

UKMO has most of the rain tracking south of the trough as it pushes in over Ireland, while HIRLAM has it developing more on its northern and eastern edge.

But that's the weather for you, it will elude the most powerful supercomputers at any time whenever it wishes! :)

I have football later. As long as it stays dry between 6 and 7 i'll be happy. It can piddle down before and after. By the looks of the yr.no tomorrow looks nice. It really does look like a hit and miss affair. I always believed that the summer precip was easier to predict than winter wintry precip. It is no different obviously.

Rain has cleared here leaving behind a total of 7.1mm. Pretty limp total by normal standards but mammoth by recent ones! Month total now on 22.6mm. Almost a third of the month's average for area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    A decent soak is underway here in Galway for the first time since around April. I am uncomplaining as indeed are my Petunias and Begonias . My long empty runoff barrel is overflowing for the first time in months.

The sun will be back this evening or tomorrow :D

After a lovely morning of steady rain and drizzle the sun is now coming out and the clouds parting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Weather has turned very showery now. Some really heavy "thundery" type of showers moving through now!

Advertisement