Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

500 new DAA Jobs But ''No Vacancies'' On DAA Website??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭PKen

Thanks Anna23 and Spygirl for those encouraging earlier remarks. Gives me some hope. Oh, and good luck to both of you. Congrats again to the successfull applicants - I do wish you all the best! The "Location" thing is understandable. However, I think your work record, i.e. how often person was late in previous jobs and of course absenteeism (the big one) should be closely examined. Is this not why they ask for so many Referees? I'd say Older candidates will get in - if they've got Airport experience or similar. Younger ones will get the rest of the jobs. What's hilarious about "Customer Interaction Skills" are: that most people in Retail or Customer Facing jobs don't have any! Some of us non "Customer Facing" people should get a chance. Let's face it, we all (any job) deal with the Customer to some extent. Also, I've dealt with some of the most awkward co-workers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭spygirl

PKen wrote: »
    What's hilarious about "Customer Interaction Skills" are: that most people in Retail or Customer Facing jobs don't have any! Some of us non "Customer Facing" people should get a chance. Let's face it, we all (any job) deal with the Customer to some extent. Also, I've dealt with some of the most awkward co-workers too.

Yeah in fairness I guess your right lol, best of luck hope you hear something soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Puma5

They wont mind age they need reliable people. Lates and absenteeism would be a big one that will not be tolorated.

Puma5 wrote: »
    They wont mind age they need reliable people. Lates and absenteeism would be a big one that will not be tolorated.

hey Puma do you work there or have you worked there in the past? If so any tips for us mere mortals? Thanks

Guys & Gals....

You need to stop worrying about age / location, they simply CANNOT select or recruit using any of that kind of criteria, its illegal. And serious sh*t would hit the fan if it was even thought that is how they selected.

But to put your mind at ease, I met a guy, taxi driver, late 40s, living in Dun Laoirge (or however you spell it) who was in for a third interview.

Really nice chap, he went for the pax services one and was pretty much told after he left that he had it (I was still waiting outside).

For advise on the interviews:
    Go in with PMA (Positive Mental Attitude) (ha, hate these "Americanisms")
    Get your knowledge of the DAA group up to speed
    Have examples ready (EG Explain a time you had to deal with a difficult customer and what was the outcome or a time you had to deal with a difficult work colleague etc, etc)
    Study the job spec.
    When you do study the job spec, it will give you an idea of what kind of scenarios etc that might come up.

If you still have not heard anything about a first interview or anything REMEMBER 12,000 people applied, a lot of inductions are not until October, so they are working through them. Its not a case that you didnt get it, it could be that they have not yet got round to you.
    If you are REALLY worried about it, call them. Otherwise, stop stewing about it.

Spy

• Advertisement

Hay spyguy have you heard if you got the tm position yet? Where you live or what age you are doesnt matter as they have people of all ages and locations working in t1 at the moment.

Nope Puma, not a thing....practically sitting on my phone waiting.

Hold on in there hopefully will be good news.

Spy Guy, am sure it will all go great for you. Like ouma said hang on in there. did they not say already that it might be as long as a few weeks till you find out about the teamleader role? maybe wrong but thought i had heard that said somewhere

Thanks folks.

Yea, thats what was said originally, but the recruiter was hoping to find out today and let me know.

• Advertisement

Will have to know soon as clearance will need to be gotten under way. Then 3 weeks training so they need people in place quickly. Still think staff turn over will be high on the rate been paid and the fact you wont be paid for breaks.

Thanks folks.

Yea, thats what was said originally, but the recruiter was hoping to find out today and let me know.

yes but they also told people would get back to them within 2/3 days at the original application, don't know about you but i was waiting about 2 weeks before any response from them and i had applied as soon as it went up lol

Nice one Spyguy. Thanks for all that valuable and reassuring advice. How much do I owe you? (ha,ha). Good luck with your future endevours and may your troubles be little ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,851 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

[HTML]The Commission for Aviation Regulation (CAR) has stipulated, for example, that a security supervisor who can be paid as much as €57,400 in Terminal 1 can only be paid up to €37,800 in T2[/HTML] would you need a qualifiation to be a security advisor? What kind of money are the new positions paying?

Team leader roles in T2 will be paid €40000. It makes me laugh that CAR has put limits on pay. They are putting money ahead of the traveling publics safety. Also CAR had said security personell in T2 should be paid €15p/h not the €12.50 which is been offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,851 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

40K for a team leader, can I ask you what exactly their job description and responsibilities would be?

Team Leaders will play a critical role, initially in the creation of Terminal 2’s new service organisation and then in co-ordinating and managing service delivery of all passenger services and facilities within Terminal 2. The key objectives of the role will be the design and delivery of a high quality, friendly and professional passenger experience including consistent compliance with all necessary safety, security and service standards.

Nice work, if you can get it. Most who've applied are saying: they'll be taking a wage drop. In my case, it would be a significant increase! Despite what people think, the multinationals (I've worked for) are in general c**p payers. They'll give you stripes, a title and loads of responsiblity - but pay lousy. I'd gladly work for the money offered at T2. By the way, the 11.50/12.50ph offered for Facilities/Passenger services. I wonder does that include shift allowance? I'd say so, given the current pay situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭suzycat

Hi,
    I have first round interview with flexsource tomorrow. I applied for passenger services. Just wondering what sort of questions was asked and how long interview was??

cheers

PKen wrote: »
    Nice work, if you can get it. Most who've applied are saying: they'll be taking a wage drop. In my case, it would be a significant increase! Despite what people think, the multinationals (I've worked for) are in general c**p payers. They'll give you stripes, a title and loads of responsiblity - but pay lousy. I'd gladly work for the money offered at T2. By the way, the 11.50/12.50ph offered for Facilities/Passenger services. I wonder does that include shift allowance? I'd say so, given the current pay situation.

from what I have been told thats an all inclusive rate, shift allowance and nights inclusive.what Puma has said is correct it was initially envisaged to pay more then whats on offer now. don't know why they dropped the rates. :(Team leader roles seems like it would be a great opportunity to gain valuable experience and to prove flexibility but in general the rates do seem very low. Might be a beneficial stepping stone for people looking to up skill.Just an observation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 nailstar

Well guys,
    I don't post but I've been a long time lurker and have been following this thread with interest, over the last few weeks, lo and behold got a call for 1st round interview today.

Now i'm hitting 40 this year and I live in Carlow so I think that blows the age/ location theory away

Anyway i'm thrilled to even get this far and fingers crossed it will all go well on Fri, it's for a passenger services role

Well done nailstar and good luck. Long way to travel to work, would you relocate?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 nailstar

Puma5 wrote: »
    Well done nailstar and good luck. Long way to travel to work, would you relocate?

Thanks a mill puma,
    It is a bit of a trek alright, but I'm only a couple of minutes from the new M9 so it's motorway nearly all the way, an hour 15mins on a good day, I'm originally from tallaght and still have my mams house so we'll see how it goes

Thats brill Nailstar, am sure you will do great, nice to know the age thing definitely not an issue. Was getting a little paranoid lol. Well at least thats some hope for those still waiting to hear back. Possibly things will start to happen a little bit more quickly now and pretty soon everyone will know where they stand for better or worse. Congrats to all who are through.
    P.s. Spyguy: any news yet?

spygirl wrote: »
    P.s. Spyguy: any news yet?

Not a bean, promised the call today, but nothing....I'm going to down a bottle of wine and nice food, totally forget about it until I get a call, just incase I do actually have to wait up to 4 weeks!

Either way, I 100% have the Team Member position, filled in the medical today, and had my eye exam today, so just waiting on the contract to be sent.

I'll let you know if when I hear anything.

Good for you Spyguy, the hard part is over you know your in one way or the other. Team leader would be the icing on the cake but like yo said might be a while before you hear. Go have the wine and enjoy the food. Hopefully will hear some news soon. They more or less said it was a done deal for me but would be much happier with something on paper, you know yourself lol

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭blacksmith105

Well had my 2nd round interview today for PS Team Leader and boy was it tough dont think I did enough to sway the interview team .
    The role of Passenger services team leader is a really tough one and not for the fainthearted , not so much about customer service but more about crowd control and problem solving

Anyway will wait and see what happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Anna23

I am going for my second one tomorrow morning blacksmith105 but its for the passenger services member, I wonder if the same situations will be asked of the people who are going for my position, I have looked at a few sites with regards to crowd control and what needs to be done, so I am prepared when it comes to that question, with regards to problem solving, it depends on what the problem is, so I can only give examples from my own work experience which might not really have anything to do with airports, hopefully the only thing that they want to see is if you are able and determined to resolve problems. God help me tomorrow. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭blacksmith105

Anna 23

The very best of luck in the interview , just relax and think through the questions . It was a tough interview and in my case was the worst I have ever sat through .

Unless you gave exact examples of the situation that they were asking it was very difficult to answer . I have 20 years airline and customer service experience and I have worked both in Dublin and London for British Airways , but the job has nothing to do with giving good customer service its all about crowd control so I expect they are not really interested in hearing how you can care for the customer more how you handle them when they start screaming at you because they have been waiting to go through security for the past 20 mins and they are going to miss their flight .

From their description I think they are expecting a riot every day at the terminal and the job comes with a can of pepper spray (only kiddding )

I dont think I did a good interview but asked to be considered for one of the other roles
    The interview wasnt about well tell me about yourself , why are you interested in the DAA but how you would handle yourself in certain situations

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Anna23

Oh when it comes to screaming customers, I had my share of them trust me, if I tell u guys the things I have been told and had done to me, I can actually write a book on that, well I am sure a lot of people can say this he he he

Thanks a mill for the info will make sure i will listen and give proper and direct answers basically to the point.

Advertisement