Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

500 new DAA Jobs But ''No Vacancies'' On DAA Website??

Options
1272829303133»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

smurfette2 wrote: »
    Why will SIPTU not allow T2 staff in to T1??

Surely the T1 staff would be glad of the help :)

And T2 staff would be glad to have something to actually do, as opposed to standing around all day/night trying to look busy :D

:D

As I understand it, it's issues around T2 workers taking their overtime and the idea that the DAA want to replace T1 workers and eventually bring down their pay and conditions to our standards. Both totally understandable. Maybe some T1 staff could comment.

The rumour mill is crazy in Dublin Airport.

Lots of moaning and complaining going on over trivial things in T2. There are some legitimate complaints but some people were only in the door and were already moaning. The vast majority are great but a sizable number seem to do nothing but moan. Hopefully the probation period will weed these people out. I honestly don't know how some of them got the job.

Other than that it's a great job and overall I'm glad I'm working there. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 beeswing

big barrie wrote: »
    there is going to be a huge fall out after you find out how hard the job is, do you realise how difficult it is getting up before 3am and there for 9 hours if you are working full time . you will have no social life and you will be in bed before your kids.
    who twisted your arm to join

biteme2010 wrote: »
    Haven't wrote on this thread as of yet but have been following closely.

Started in DAA on the 11th October, few F**k ups courtesy of the DAA or ASC depending which one you wanna call them.. (was under the impression was ASC but our uniform says DAA, payslip days DAA o and contract says DAA)
    Anyway we all kind of had a rant and let it go, give them the benefit of the doubt being new recruits and all that.

well we recieved our "rosters" on friday, well what an absolute shambles they are!!!! what are they paying this women who actually does these rosters because it should be f**kin peanuts as shes nothing bu
    id love to see her do 4 nights in a row, 10pm-7am then have 1 day of and be in at 4... whats even funnier is she thinks we get 2days off, even though were working 7hours of it...

And whats the story with working christmas? and new years eve? some people are working both and the other people arent working either of them... hows that fair?
    When we bought this up we had a sarcastic reply from admin and then was kindly told my management its ok there will be a christmas tree... seems there not all humbugs after all...

And can somebody clarify that if we book time of it doesnt have to fit into the roster? what an absolute shambles because people who didnt know if you want time off it has to fit in with your roster... surely then that isnt holidays thats what would normally be your day off then you have to get swops...

Somebody in there needs to really cop onto themselves before everybody leaves then they've no-one to work in there precious terminal...

Reduced hour rosters mean you don't EVER have a weekend off....

The team leaders are all up there own holes, dont give a monkeys about anyone, they dont have a clue whos in half the time, were on 12hour shifts at the moment some people clock in, show there face for half hour in the morning go disappearing then come back for the last half hour...
    They speak to you as if your stupid, stick you outside in the freezing cold to manage a post, then you get screamed at by the builders because your not meant to be there without a safe pass..... (how did these idiots get this job)luckily they've coped onto this now, and have got another company to do this....

And heres a laugh for you all, builders can bring through hammers, stanley knives, drills, bevels, screwdrivers the lot but they cant take a fork through with them to eat there lunch........

Best bit was we were taught this week how to put tents up because the suicide rates are going to be high in T2 because of the heights that there are (tents are to cover body) all this for 12.50 an hour... how lucky do i feel.....

STAY AWAY FROM ANY JOB OFFERED TO YOU IN T2 AND SURE AS HELL DONT LEAVE A JOB LIKE ALOT OF US DID TO WORK FOR A S**TE COMPANY!!!....
    well bite me if you left a good job to go elswhere your the fool ... government could do with the likes of you... have you not heard the country is in crisis??? and you left a good job to work for 12.50 an hr... wow what a bright spark you really are

beeswing wrote: »
    well bite me if you left a good job to go elswhere your the fool ... government could do with the likes of you... have you not heard the country is in crisis??? and you left a good job to work for 12.50 an hr... wow what a bright spark you really are
    p.s do you think its wise to post your training on a public site????tut tut ....not to good at being a SECURITY OFFICER are you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭xxshebeexx

Mr. Muddle wrote: »
    I'd say if you contact one of the following they will help you.

Paul O’Kane, Public Affairs Director, DAA
    Tel 353 1 8141897, 353 86 6090221

Siobhan Moore, External Communications Manager, DAA
    Tel 353 1 8144108, 353 87 2710065

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 smurfette2

Anybody got any clue as to when or if the new roster for facilities staff in T2 will be implemented?? :confused:

Voted on nearly a fortnight ago & still no news :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Well what can I say. After several months of full time work I can see the urgent need to address certain issues for the passenger services team.

First of all, the rosters are absolutely awful. There is not enough rest time between shifts and you are quite often left exhausted each week. Particularly on earlies and night shifts. Earlies often work 6am-4pm first day and then 4am-2pm next day and so on. This leaves you almost in a rush to get to bed at a decent hour (I can manage 8pm, god only knows about people with families) to get up for 2.30am and even earlier for people further out of Dublin. Then again the day after. With nights, after you have two days off according to the roster, however you are working til 7am the first day "off" and in bed for the rest of it, then on the second day you are still wrecked before going back into work straight away.

A lot of people are getting p*ssed off and moral among the group is very low. Exhaustion is a serious concern. Extra money that was promised and given to people for working the october bank holiday (by management of all people) is being forcibly taken back off them this month. After the new budget taxes and Universal Social Charge, I am taking home just over €400 per week. That's for 50 hour weeks, shift work with no shift allowance, unpaid breaks, hardly any rest and zero social/family life.

That's not to mention the constant pressure of Dept. Of Transport tests (which, if you fail, can lead to your dismissal), mystery shopper tests and aggro from passengers, among others. And the ultimate responsibility of safeguarding civil aviation by having to detect possible threats to safety on a minute by minute basis.

Don't get me wrong, overall it's a nice place to work and most of the people are great and you have a laugh most days. And make no mistake, I am happy to just be working. But it just seems so unfair, considering the facilities people are on almost the same money for much less pressure. We are on 1 euro more than they are with 10 times the responsibility (and they have a much nicer roster). Had I known what I would have been working at, at the hours I am with the pressure and responsibility I have, I would have only applied for a facilities job!

I predict a large staff turnover unless the rosters become more socially friendly or the pay is made a bit more fair.

That so many people in Terminal 1 are on such better pay and conditions is just another kick in the teeth. I know cleaners in T1 who are on more money than I am. And myself and my colleagues are the ones working to ensure you and your family are safe when they are flying out of Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 paul lfc

as i posted on this before, reason i turned the job down its about self worth if you think 400 per 50 hr week is for you with no life thats what you signed up for. from what i hear a lot of contracts will not be renewed as the place is empty most of the time. work is work i agree but as far as i can see its a race to the bottom and theres only 1 winner and that daa . just look at what there trying to do with aer lingus workers. if u think your worth a euro more than min wage you deserve all you singed up for

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭blacksmith105

Just wanted to know from those that were offered positions in T2 how the job is going , i applied and didnt get through . Looks like a lot of unhappy people

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭big barrie

Elessar wrote: »
    There are MORE new PS trainees starting Monday?! We already have huge staff numbers.
    you changed your tune in later posts,,,:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭shellyb73

Elessar wrote: »
    Well what can I say. After several months of full time work I can see the urgent need to address certain issues for the passenger services team.

First of all, the rosters are absolutely awful. There is not enough rest time between shifts and you are quite often left exhausted each week. Particularly on earlies and night shifts. Earlies often work 6am-4pm first day and then 4am-2pm next day and so on. This leaves you almost in a rush to get to bed at a decent hour (I can manage 8pm, god only knows about people with families) to get up for 2.30am and even earlier for people further out of Dublin. Then again the day after. With nights, after you have two days off according to the roster, however you are working til 7am the first day "off" and in bed for the rest of it, then on the second day you are still wrecked before going back into work straight away.

A lot of people are getting p*ssed off and moral among the group is very low. Exhaustion is a serious concern. Extra money that was promised and given to people for working the october bank holiday (by management of all people) is being forcibly taken back off them this month. After the new budget taxes and Universal Social Charge, I am taking home just over €400 per week. That's for 50 hour weeks, shift work with no shift allowance, unpaid breaks, hardly any rest and zero social/family life.

That's not to mention the constant pressure of Dept. Of Transport tests (which, if you fail, can lead to your dismissal), mystery shopper tests and aggro from passengers, among others. And the ultimate responsibility of safeguarding civil aviation by having to detect possible threats to safety on a minute by minute basis.

Don't get me wrong, overall it's a nice place to work and most of the people are great and you have a laugh most days. And make no mistake, I am happy to just be working. But it just seems so unfair, considering the facilities people are on almost the same money for much less pressure. We are on 1 euro more than they are with 10 times the responsibility (and they have a much nicer roster). Had I known what I would have been working at, at the hours I am with the pressure and responsibility I have, I would have only applied for a facilities job!

I predict a large staff turnover unless the rosters become more socially friendly or the pay is made a bit more fair.

That so many people in Terminal 1 are on such better pay and conditions is just another kick in the teeth. I know cleaners in T1 who are on more money than I am. And myself and my colleagues are the ones working to ensure you and your family are safe when they are flying out of Dublin.

Phew, Im glad I got out when I did so!:) As you said alot of very nice people started in passenger services t2 with me who Im sure are still there, Im sorry for you that you are being treated in this manner. I hope that it improves for you all soon..

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mossie86

What are the terms and the shifts for retail staff?? Does anyone know if any of the retailers are still hiring??

• Registered Users Posts: 16 smurfette2

T2 facilities staff have had the misfortune of being presented with YET ANOTHER new roster :mad: less than a week before the first new roster was supposed to come into effect :mad:

Where is the union for proper representation & where is the proper, fair treatment from DAA?! :confused:

Advertisement