Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

500 new DAA Jobs But ''No Vacancies'' On DAA Website??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭muppet01

While Im glad your enjoying your new job lets get some facts straight. Its not just a few contracts its 55 of my work mates who are been pushed out of t1. New staff from t2 should never have been allowed in the door of t1 to train nothing against you guys but your ment to work for a different company or thats whats been rammed down our necks by management and union. Your also not in a union so should not have been allowed work on the floor of a company that is fully union and is in staffs contracts that they must be in a union to work there.
    As far as siptu goes get your selfs a real union with some backbone.

take it you are not a asu supervisor then..yes or no answer please

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭IrishB.ie

muppet01 wrote: »

muppet01, no member on these threads is answerable to you or any other member in any way shape or form. Take what you want and come back here if you become a Mod. Until then..............

Supervisor1, keep up the excellent work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 maximusnow3

No they won't tell you there and then. When I went for interview I was told this is the selection round for the position I went for and that be prepared. So I go through the interview and at the end they says this is for a ranking order incase anyone drops out and that I would still have to go before Senior DAA management panel before that. Pure daft, am glad now that I didn't get any further as they don't seem to know whats going on. Recruiter telling one thing and DAA changing the rules of the game when you get before them, as I said before very unprofessional on the DAA's part. Can't blame the recruiter for DAA's carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 maximusnow3

With all the carry on in that place and alot of uncertainty talk, I'm glad I'm not a part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 smurfette2

Would seem like no1 in DAA has a clue what is going on with their new staff members.
    No rosters available yet, no idea of what the shift patterns are gonna be and no notion of when anyone is gonna get paid for their work - they didn't pick up on any of that on last week's Prime Time..... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭supervisor1

smurfette2 wrote: »
    Would seem like no1 in DAA has a clue what is going on with their new staff members.
    No rosters available yet, no idea of what the shift patterns are gonna be and no notion of when anyone is gonna get paid for their work - they didn't pick up on any of that on last week's Prime Time..... :confused:

They dont have a clue whats going on with current staff never mind the new recruits.

Hahahahahah whatever!!!

Thought I'd check in and see how ya'll are doing.
    smurfette2 wrote: »

We've seen the roster, just not filled in with names.

And we're getting paid on Wednesday (this is the group that started on 20th Sept)

Its brilliant, really is. Nothing really like what is said on here and I'm sure the other people on here in my group will agree.

P.s I've heard not a single person complain about the money already, everyone knew what the wage was before we started.
    There has been 4 people drop out of our group since we started (but thats out of 97 people, so thats fairly normal)

Once we are all down in T2 open and working it will be much better.

The only thing I agree with on here in the forum is about the fact that some people got part time hours when it should have been full time.
    And the other thing is that some T1 staff are being pushed down to T2.

Dont agree with anything else on here.

But again, don't get me wrong, the job is hard and the wages are lower than what they should be, but everyone knew this before applying.

Congrats to all the people who started today.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭muppet01

IrishB.ie wrote: »
    muppet01, no member on these threads is answerable to you or any other member in any way shape or form. Take what you want and come back here if you become a Mod. Until then..............

Supervisor1, keep up the excellent work.

Are you a mod??If i wish to ask a civil question i will do so,please do not tell me what i may or may not do.
    My question i feel is/was a valid one and if you wish to upgrade yourself to police this thread feel free to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cameron28

Hay guys!
    What a joke flexsource and the daa are.I went for my interview on august 12th,Rang flexsource again 3 weeks later and was told i was successful in my first interview and they would be in contact.Heard nothing again for a further 4 weeks and was told,just waiting on the daa to interview me,low and behold was on to flexsource today and was told i wasnt successful in my first interview.What the hell is going on with this kip.I worked in the airport for 15 years and my god how things have changed.....Thanks to the unions for all there hard work......NOT...what a shower........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 thundercatgary

cameron28 wrote: »
    Hay guys!
    What a joke flexsource and the daa are.I went for my interview on august 12th,Rang flexsource again 3 weeks later and was told i was successful in my first interview and they would be in contact.Heard nothing again for a further 4 weeks and was told,just waiting on the daa to interview me,low and behold was on to flexsource today and was told i wasnt successful in my first interview.What the hell is going on with this kip.I worked in the airport for 15 years and my god how things have changed.....Thanks to the unions for all there hard work......NOT...what a shower........

The goal posts seem to be moving everyday. Someone else was on this post and was told the were'nt successful and then ended up getting called for an interview.

And we're getting paid on Wednesday (this is the group that started on 20th Sept)

Its brilliant, really is. Nothing really like what is said on here and I'm sure the other people on here in my group will agree.

P.s I've heard not a single person complain about the money already, everyone knew what the wage was before we started.

There has been 4 people drop out of our group since we started (but thats out of 97 people, so thats fairly normal)

The only thing I agree with on here in the forum is about the fact that some people got part time hours when it should have been full time.

But again, don't get me wrong, the job is hard and the wages are lower than what they should be, but everyone knew this before applying.

Hi spyguy,
    I think everyone is just fed up with the way the have been treated.
    Can you give us a idea of what the training was like , was it intense or straight forward. Did you have to do exams or just workshops.
    and will the daa pay you from now until the opening of t2 in other words are you now a paid employee .

Hi spyguy,
    I think everyone is just fed up with the way the have been treated.
    Can you give us a idea of what the training was like , was it intense or straight forward. Did you have to do exams or just workshops.
    and will the daa pay you from now until the opening of t2 in other words are you now a paid employee .

Training was intense, theres a LOT to learn, but the trainers are excellent, well equipped and theres plenty of literature to help. There is one written and one computer based exam.

This is why 4/5 people dropped out over the course of 3 weeks, because they couldn't handle it, but like I said thats out of nearly 100 people, so thats actually positively low.

But once you go through the training and you do the job for a few days, it all makes sense and the job is not intense.

That being said, you cant slip up, because at the end of the day your job is essentially to prevent bad things from happening.
    It is fast paced, but after the training and a bit of shadowing / doing the job, it seems to become rather easy. Its not rocket science by any means

Are you a mod??If i wish to ask a civil question i will do so,please do not tell me what i may or may not do.
    My question i feel is/was a valid one and if you wish to upgrade yourself to police this thread feel free to do so.
    Hahahahahah whatever!!!

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Does anyone know anything about the maintenance jobs going with the daa?
    My uncle said he heard about them on the radio last week. He couldnt give me any more info though and I cant find anything about them online?
    Would appreciate if anyone can point me in the right direction.
    Thanks

BFassassin wrote: »
    Does anyone know anything about the maintenance jobs going with the daa?
    My uncle said he heard about them on the radio last week. He couldnt give me any more info though and I cant find anything about them online?
    Would appreciate if anyone can point me in the right direction.
    Thanks

The jobs are not with the DAA, the are aircraft maintenance jobs.
    Its a cityjet contract won by a company at dublin airport .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

The jobs are not with the DAA, the are aircraft maintenance jobs.
    Its a cityjet contract won by a company at dublin airport .
    Thanks thundercatgary.
    Do you have any idea of the name of the maintenance company?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭alanacadia

Hi all
    Finished my first weeks training, I can report it was quite good , lot of notes to be taken down, but very interesting, the teachers very friendly, and want to help you all along, to <removed> the airport police teacher, you are one of the best so far, .

To the DAA :), take note
    most of us want full time positions, we dearly want to work for you, with all our hearts, so have a re-think with this many people willing to give 100% to make sure you have the best staff and facilities, how about you returning the favour by giving us the origional 40 hour week that most of us were told we were origionally getting.

outside all that , I have to say congrats to the DAA, you got the building right, the layout, great, the colour scheme great, cant give you a fault cause I have not really seen any , so 10 stars to you in the DAA Planning dept.

Now lets all just try to make this the best thing since sliced bread.

:):):):):)

Fair play alanacadia , keep us posted on the next few weeks .
    I am mad to know what types of training you are doing. best of luck to
    all who started this week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 deeamrsn

Lads, you really need to remember that there was a total of 12,000 applications put in for 500 positions, there is only so much they can do.

I got my application in within 5 mins of the positions appearing online. Thats probably why I'm through the process already.

I have also worked in the airport and completed a number of airline / airport procedure courses.

So dont be stressing, I'd say it will take ages to get through / back to everyone. Remember also that the positions are not starting until Sept, Oct and Nov !

Hello there Spyguy

I have a question for you, if you don't mind. I've been reading all the post regarding the T2 jobs, especially the Passenger Services Team Member. All the posts now, are quite old...so do u have any updates? I've been offered a position in the Passenger Services Team myself...about a month ago...since then I've been through a Medical Questionnaire, an Eye Test and an uniform fitting. That was in the first few days...since then, NOTHING!!!
    I've called them once and they called once, reassuring me that I'am on the panel and that's it!!
    I don't have a starting date, I don't know when the training will start..absolutely NOTHING!!!
    I'm getting a bit concerned.... Do you know anything?!?...Are there any people there in my situation?

Hope to hear from you.

hi alanacadia, may i ask what position have you aplied for? did it take long from the moment you were offered the job up until you have actually started you training?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭Elessar

The DAA must be bracing themselves for a lot of drop outs if they have a panel of people in waiting? There are 200 PS team members already, not to mention the 50 or so coming from T1. The part time roster has shocked some, I think that's where a lot of people will drop out, especially those who were expecting full time. There is a section of it of 17 weeks in a row where you work just the weekends. I honestly can't see many part timers staying considering that roster, the hours involved and the money for it.

EDIT: I had to laugh when we were being recruited by SIPTU. They sent around a sheet detailing what they have achieved for T1 staff over the years. Fair play to them they did increase wages and benefits across the board. But one of the points read "a trolley pusher, on the highest pay grade (working shift mon-fri), now earns €21.57 per hour in Terminal 1". A bit of a kick in the teeth considering the people you are preaching to are earning essentially half that and are safeguarding the lives of people on aeroplanes.

Cost recovery anyone?

Hello Thundercatgary

I was told on 26/8/2010 I had the job offer,
    I heard nothing until 12/9/2010 to say my contracts were ready
    I went to sign contracts on 14/09/2010
    then I got the shock, as the contarct said 16 hours instead of 40, I still went ahead in the hope that it will lead to 40 hours,so got measured for the uniform,.

Collected my temp uniform on 4th October done all my Id stuff on the same day .
    then started on 11th Oct ,but I have to say the time really dragged out from the offer date until start date, but now im there i have to say, its deadly, but i really dont understand why the Daa but so much effort if there only giving us part time positions, we all let our instructors know about this on Friday, so they know that we really want 40 hours, the new building its way beyond its time, just super brillent, the classes are good, and you get fed in the morning, nice:) you have to be fully prepared to listen, they will tell you in the lessons ( you need to know this bit ) so when you hear that pay good attention because that part will come up in your final exam. I dont know if its just me but this job makes me feel good, but then that might change if I pass my final exam, and then I see the real roster ,, who knows. but so far I love it . in between there are some small exams, but the big one you have to get 85% passs rate or your out, so not sure if I can add anymore to that only that Im into week 2 now and will report back possibly at the end of the week. subject to me passing my big exam
    Cheers to anybody joining soon
    :):):):)

I applied for passenger services ( ASU )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭furiousox

So you apply for a job which you have a roughly 30 to 1 shot of getting.
    You attend a first and then a second interview and you're offered a 'full time' job which turns out to be 16hrs per week.
    You then attend 2 weeks training, after which you have to sit an exam.
    If you don't get a grade of 85% in the exam you then lose the job which was given to you several weeks previously.
    My...god...is this the way employers are allowed to treat candidates in 2010?
    That whole process is absolutely despicable in my opinion.

CPL 593H

...and you forgot to mention that after all those interviews...you get the job and then they'll ignore you for a month!! ( this is my curent position ) Without even knowing when you are going to start the job or the training... I don't even know what to expect now. I feel like I'm waiting for something, but not sure what and when I'm going to get it. Yes, despicable is the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭PKen

Elessar wrote: »
    EDIT: I had to laugh when we were being recruited by SIPTU. They sent around a sheet detailing what they have achieved for T1 staff over the years. Fair play to them they did increase wages and benefits across the board. But one of the points read "a trolley pusher, on the highest pay grade (working shift mon-fri), now earns €21.57 per hour in Terminal 1".

Supervisor1 is very quiet at the moment. Wonder what his views are, on the above? I hardly think that this is expoitative. A "trolley pusher" getting that kind of money - €21.57 per hour!!!!!!! You've got to be kidding. That's ridiculous.

PKen wrote: »
    Supervisor1 is very quiet at the moment. Wonder what his views are, on the above? I hardly think that this is expoitative. A "trolley pusher" getting that kind of money - €21.57 per hour!!!!!!! You've got to be kidding. That's ridiculous.

I have said all along the rates in t2 are rubbish. Some cleaners in t1 are on almost €30. Its all based on yearly incraments so the longer you were with the company the more money you earn.
    SIPTU I believe told the new t2 staff in their info session that they hadnt seen a contract and didnt know about the short time clause or the roster change clause with 24 hr notice and banking of hrs or not been paid for them. I can assure you they have seen a contract and know exactly whats in it as they negotiated the rates etc.

• Advertisement

The fact you havent started shift work yet I think you should reserve judgement on the job being great. I find it hard to believe you havent heard one person complain about the money as Ive heard loads and speaking to the trainers Im not the only one. I also believe the figure of 4 leaving is wrong the figure I got from the trainers was more like 15 including a team leader.
    There is also alot of talk of unrest between alot of staff and some team leaders. I think the DAA bringing in complete outsiders for this job is going to back fire big time.

Advertisement