Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

500 new DAA Jobs But ''No Vacancies'' On DAA Website??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭shellyb73

Hi all,

They are unbelieaveable! I just got my contract out to check it and seems to be a normal contract 12 month probationary period etc.

Does anyone know how many people start Monday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭supervisor1

shellyb73 wrote: »
    Hi all,

They are unbelieaveable! I just got my contract out to check it and seems to be a normal contract 12 month probationary period etc.

The numbers I have heard are 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭shellyb73

Wow thats a large number, should be an interesting induction, I would assume it will be broken into groups?!

Supervisor1 can you tell me where the atrium of terminal 1 car park is? Is it on departures or arrivals level? I know we are to park in the purple zone and then meet there, How long does it take to get from purple zone to that atrium?
    Thanks

Wow thats a large number, should be an interesting induction, I would assume it will be broken into groups?!

Supervisor1 can you tell me where the atrium of terminal 1 car park is? Is it on departures or arrivals level? I know we are to park in the purple zone and then meet there, How long does it take to get from purple zone to that atrium?
    Thanks

The atrium is arrivals more or less where wrights shop is. There is a staff bus that leaves every 15 mins so 0900-0915-0930 etc. 24hrs from purple car park and it will leave you just the other side of the atrium. It also will bring you back or you could walk up takes 5-10 mins. Good luck for monday to you and all staff starting.

alexno2 wrote: »
    No it is defo just a 12 month contract .They are calling it a fixed term contract. Start date and finish date are in the contract ,they are saying because they have already given me a finish date I will not get any notice.

Thats really strange.

Just had a second read of the contract there, permanent contract, but specifically stages the first 12 months are probationary and they can terminate employment at any point during those 12 months. And that you'll be notified in writing if you have been successful in completing probationary period.

Why on earth would they have so may Contracts. Some permanent, Some rolling, some 40 hour, some 20, some 16.

I would imagine it will all change over the coming months / years. Its a big project in HR terms so they have as much to learn as we do.

As I've said before, positive thinking, it takes thousands to train people and conduct inductions, interviews etc. So they are not going to want a MASSIVE turnover of staff. Hopefully when they realise how bad it is (or might be) then things might begin to change.
    Wow. Deffo will be broken into groups, no way they could train 100 people in one group.

Should be fun tho.

• Advertisement

Thats really strange.

Just had a second read of the contract there, permanent contract, but specifically stages the first 12 months are probationary and they can terminate employment at any point during those 12 months. And that you'll be notified in writing if you have been successful in completing probationary period.

Why on earth would they have so may Contracts. Some permanent, Some rolling, some 40 hour, some 20, some 16.

I would imagine it will all change over the coming months / years. Its a big project in HR terms so they have as much to learn as we do.

As I've said before, positive thinking, it takes thousands to train people and conduct inductions, interviews etc. So they are not going to want a MASSIVE turnover of staff. Hopefully when they realise how bad it is (or might be) then things might begin to change.

Wow. Deffo will be broken into groups, no way they could train 100 people in one group.

Should be fun tho.

I would have to say there is no excuse for the way people have been treated and I dont except the point about HR. They have been gearing up for this for 3+ years now and should have been far more professional then they have to both internal and external staff.
    As far as staff turnover its going to be huge and they know it. They are already trying to create a pool of staff to fill the gaps. They have got t2 all wrong and its going to be a disaster. They should have stuck with the regulator and paid €14.75 they may have had some chance of keeping staff.
    Already this week alot of those who have started their training are complaining about t1 workers pay and conditions compared to t2 and I dont blame them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 babyj

Hi all,

New to this debate, but have read with interest! Have worked for the daa for some years now and am used to being treated like ****, but at least i get a decent wage as compensation, you lot dont even have that. Welcome to hell amigos!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 alexno2

Also ment to say when I was in flexsource today they were still interviewing for DAA positions

I would have to say there is no excuse for the way people have been treated and I dont except the point about HR. They have been gearing up for this for 3+ years now and should have been far more professional then they have to both internal and external staff.
    As far as staff turnover its going to be huge and they know it. They are already trying to create a pool of staff to fill the gaps. They have got t2 all wrong and its going to be a disaster. They should have stuck with the regulator and paid €14.75 they may have had some chance of keeping staff.
    Already this week alot of those who have started their training are complaining about t1 workers pay and conditions compared to t2 and I dont blame them.
    No, I agree to a point, but it costs thousands to get staff in the door, they wont be throwing money away.
    We'll just have to wait and see what happens. The pay and conditions will still be crap, but I honestly cant see it staying so bad forever.
    babyj wrote: »
    New to this debate, but have read with interest! Have worked for the daa for some years now and am used to being treated like ****, but at least i get a decent wage as compensation, you lot dont even have that. Welcome to hell amigos!!!!!
    Whatever.
    Its a job, I'm happy.

Aint gonna rain on my parade :D

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭spygirl

to all starting tomorrow morning best of luck in your new job, enjoy it. Keep us posted about how your getting on:):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭alanacadia

Well Hi to everybody that started today, no updates yet are you all sworn to secrecy , please let us know how you got on ,
    Cheers to all

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Princess Zelda

Just got a phone call from Flexsource, asking me if I was still interested in a position in terminal 2. I applied for a job back when they were first advertised. I also recieved a rejection email about 2 months ago (I mentioned it further back in the thread). This leads me to wonder if Flexsource are not getting the uptake for the positions that they were expecting? I explained to the person on the phone that I already got a rejection email and because of that I applied for other jobs and am now steadily employed (thank god). So if there is anyone still out there waiting for word, there is hope yet. But honestly, shoddy organisation on behalf of Flexsource.

Just got a phone call from Flexsource, asking me if I was still interested in a position in terminal 2. I applied for a job back when they were first advertised. I also recieved a rejection email about 2 months ago (I mentioned it further back in the thread). This leads me to wonder if Flexsource are not getting the uptake for the positions that they were expecting? I explained to the person on the phone that I already got a rejection email and because of that I applied for other jobs and am now steadily employed (thank god). So if there is anyone still out there waiting for word, there is hope yet. But honestly, shoddy organisation on behalf of Flexsource.

Wouldnt expect anything less. I still think t2 will blow up in the DAAs face. A staff revolt over pay, terms and conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Chachu

My friend was called for 2nd interview in the airport this week. She originally applied for full time position, and thats what they have printed on her pre interview Job Discription (40hrs) that they sent her today.

My only thoughts are that they are leading her up the garden path, like they did the rest of us who were later offered reduced hours.

I am still half expecting to get a call from them to say they are re offering full time, as I would imagine they are going to get a shed load of cancellations when people figure out they are going to be coming out with less money for working 20 hours, than not working at all.

Has anybody had a formal reply from Flexsourse / DAA to say that they are no longer being considered for the role as turned down the 20 hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lovechocolate

Looks like they have received alot of refusals on the offer on 16 and 20 hrs so. I sent back in my contract with a letter stating that I could not accept the offer of 16hrs.

With regards to a formal letter, eh NO!

Chachu wrote: »
    My friend was called for 2nd interview in the airport this week. She originally applied for full time position, and thats what they have printed on her pre interview Job Discription (40hrs) that they sent her today.

My only thoughts are that they are leading her up the garden path, like they did the rest of us who were later offered reduced hours.

I am still half expecting to get a call from them to say they are re offering full time, as I would imagine they are going to get a shed load of cancellations when people figure out they are going to be coming out with less money for working 20 hours, than not working at all.

Has anybody had a formal reply from Flexsourse / DAA to say that they are no longer being considered for the role as turned down the 20 hours?

Hopefully not. maybe she is being interviewed for 40 hours. has anyone who turned down the 20 hours had any further communication from them??

Although i think a lot of people will still take the jobs even if it's only for a while. just so they are working. Lot easier to get a job while your in one and all that but we shall see.
    Did you turn down the 20 hours?? and if so did you get a letter from them? just curious when i read your question.

Looks like they have received alot of refusals on the offer on 16 and 20 hrs so. I sent back in my contract with a letter stating that I could not accept the offer of 16hrs.

With regards to a formal letter, eh NO!

good for you, most would have just said nothing, at least you sent yours back stating why you weren't taking it. who knows maybe it might have some effect, stranger things have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭eamonhonda

My job description as sent out to may states 40 hours. I was told then when I was accepted that contract will be minimum 20 hours, but there will be full time hours that I will be given preference to.
    What do people think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 paul lfc

As i said before its about having some self worth, i value myself more than 80 euros a day before tax, i dont mind giving up famity time and weekends for a good company and good money , the old saying is if it looks like sh1t smells like sh1t , more than likely it is sh1t. Its a race to the bottom out there at the moment , im not willing to join that race:)

spygirl wrote: »
    Hopefully not. maybe she is being interviewed for 40 hours. has anyone who turned down the 20 hours had any further communication from them??

Although i think a lot of people will still take the jobs even if it's only for a while. just so they are working. Lot easier to get a job while your in one and all that but we shall see.
    Did you turn down the 20 hours?? and if so did you get a letter from them? just curious when i read your question.

Yes I had no choice I have a mortgage and bills to pay. They never sent a letter or email, I was told I was top of the list and would be given preference as soon as a full time roll came up (there seems to an awful lot of people number one on this list!!). I have sent 2 emails to Flexsourse requesting clarification as to what the situation is, but have had no response.

Just as a matter of interest, does the DAA pay shift allowance and Sunday time? I took it for granted that this was mandatory before I applied for the role, but reading some previous comments it appears not.

• Advertisement

Chachu wrote: »
    Yes I had no choice I have a mortgage and bills to pay. They never sent a letter or email, I was told I was top of the list and would be given preference as soon as a full time roll came up (there seems to an awful lot of people number one on this list!!). I have sent 2 emails to Flexsourse requesting clarification as to what the situation is, but have had no response.

Just as a matter of interest, does the DAA pay shift allowance and Sunday time? I took it for granted that this was mandatory before I applied for the role, but reading some previous comments it appears not.

Thats all included in the €12.50ph. They are paying minimum wage for the industry and this was all agreed with siptu even after the regulator recomended an 18% shift allowance which would have ment €14.75ph. Go figure.

eamonhonda wrote: »
    My job description as sent out to may states 40 hours. I was told then when I was accepted that contract will be minimum 20 hours, but there will be full time hours that I will be given preference to.
    What do people think?

seems like everyone who was offered 20 hours is being told that at the moment, just wondering how many people are on that preferential list. looking back through the thread seems to be quite a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Bertiebasher

So reading through this thread, it seems to me that the Govt and the DAA are deceiving the public again :mad:

Media outlets need to be told about this ! Joe D and the like.

I know of someone who applied for this position, thinking he was going for a fulltime position, went through all the motions, checks etc and then the agency had the cheek to ring him to say, hey your contract has arrived and just a slight change it is now for 20hrs not 40hrs, he had gone to the interview on the presumption that this was for a fulltime position, also it was raised at the interview with the DAA.

This is a disgrace. I would very much like to highlight this through the media, but would be very grateful if some of you could help clarify the following:

How many jobs were advertised - 500 ?

How many of these "500" positions were filled by already employed DAA staff ?

How many of these postions are fulltime ?

How many of these positions are part time ?

Other T&Cs Conditions

hourly rate ? - does p/time rate equate to €200 a wk ?
    Shift allowance Y/N ?
    Paid lunch breaks Y/N?
    Go home policy if not busy ?
    Is the contract "permanent".

Again, I would be very grateful, if you could help me with the above and I would gladly like to highlight this farce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭alanacadia

Hello,
    Any of the new starters want to comment on what the start is like, what you all doing, etc, so far everybody seems to be keeping very quite.
    \
    so any comments from the newly employed people to the people waiting to start on 4th & 11th Oct.

Keep us informed
    Cheers

So reading through this thread, it seems to me that the Govt and the DAA are deceiving the public again :mad:

I know of someone who applied for this position, thinking he was going for a fulltime position, went through all the motions, checks etc and then the agency had the cheek to ring him to say, hey your contract has arrived and just a slight change it is now for 20hrs not 40hrs, he had gone to the interview on the presumption that this was for a fulltime position, also it was raised at the interview with the DAA.

This is a disgrace. I would very much like to highlight this through the media, but would be very grateful if some of you could help clarify the following:

Other T&Cs Conditions

Shift allowance Y/N ?
    Paid lunch breaks Y/N?

Again, I would be very grateful, if you could help me with the above and I would gladly like to highlight this farce.

Hi Bertiebasher,

Just to answer some of your questions.

100 apparently

Not to sure

Not to sure

Other T&Cs Conditions

Yes, before tax, prsi etc. based on the 16 hour contracts that people were hoodwinked into taking.

Shift allowance Y/N ?

Advertised as €12.50 p/hr Basic pay. To my knowledge this is false advertising, as basic pay accounts for pay before mandatory additions such as shift allowance, Sunday hours etc. are added on. It should have been advertised as minimum wage + allowances or €12.50 p/hour (incl. allowances)
    Paid lunch breaks Y/N?N
    Go home policy if not busy ?Not to sure on this one
    Is the contract "permanent". They seem to have sent out numerous different versions of the contract, some 1 year some permanent.

It would be interesting to see if 15,000 people would have applied for a job advertised as a 16 - 20 hour week at minimum wage + shift allowance. I can think of some well known fast food joints and German supermarkets who offer a hell of a better wage and hours than this.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Other T&Cs Conditions

Shift allowance Y/N ?
    Paid lunch breaks Y/N?

How many jobs were advertised - 500 ? 500

How many of these "500" positions were filled by already employed DAA staff ? About 100 but on top of that you had ex daa employees who took severance payments and those who had been let go on contract also applying so total im not sure of.

How many of these postions are fulltime ? This im not sure of can only comment on passenger screening which to my knowledge was 96, 50 or so made up of contracts been pushed out of t1 by company and union I might add. Alot of these people had a right to a permenant position in t1 due to breaches of the 2003 fixed term contract act and the unions own working agreement. But the union failed to challenge these.

How many of these positions are part time ? Again based on passenger screening about 60 I think.

Other T&Cs Conditions

hourly rate ? - does p/time rate equate to €200 a wk ? Part time rate = hrs worked x €12.50ph.

Shift allowance Y/N ? No although the regulator recomended €12.50ph + an 18% shift allowance which would have been €14.75ph however siptu in their wisdom neg. the 12.50, Regulator also said time and half over time siptu neg. time third. Go figure.

Paid lunch breaks Y/N? No. This is a dangerous one as in t1 breaks are paid so in emergency staff must respond t2 unpaid so staff dont have to respond.

Go home policy if not busy ? Yes go home if not busy and change roster with 24hrs notice so phone you 24hrs before you start at 0400 your not needed till 0700 and either not pay you or they bank the hrs and tell you when you must work them back. The roster is bad enough without them having this sort of hold over staff. Holidays are pre allocated this way they get around the working time act otherwise they would be in breach.

Is the contract "permanent". From what I hear there are 4 types
    1 Permenant fulltime
    2 Part time 20 hrs
    3 part time 16 hrs
    4 Full time 1 year fixed term contract.

Its a joke but cant expect anything less from the DAA or their muppet sidekicks SIPTU.:mad:

How many jobs were advertised - 500 ? 500

How many of these "500" positions were filled by already employed DAA staff ? About 100 but on top of that you had ex daa employees who took severance payments and those who had been let go on contract also applying so total im not sure of.

How many of these postions are fulltime ? This im not sure of can only comment on passenger screening which to my knowledge was 96, 50 or so made up of contracts been pushed out of t1 by company and union I might add. Alot of these people had a right to a permenant position in t1 due to breaches of the 2003 fixed term contract act and the unions own working agreement. But the union failed to challenge these.

How many of these positions are part time ? Again based on passenger screening about 60 I think.

Other T&Cs Conditions

hourly rate ? - does p/time rate equate to €200 a wk ? Part time rate = hrs worked x €12.50ph.

Shift allowance Y/N ? No although the regulator recomended €12.50ph + an 18% shift allowance which would have been €14.75ph however siptu in their wisdom neg. the 12.50, Regulator also said time and half over time siptu neg. time third. Go figure.

Paid lunch breaks Y/N? No. This is a dangerous one as in t1 breaks are paid so in emergency staff must respond t2 unpaid so staff dont have to respond.

Go home policy if not busy ? Yes go home if not busy and change roster with 24hrs notice so phone you 24hrs before you start at 0400 your not needed till 0700 and either not pay you or they bank the hrs and tell you when you must work them back. The roster is bad enough without them having this sort of hold over staff. Holidays are pre allocated this way they get around the working time act otherwise they would be in breach.

Is the contract "permanent". From what I hear there are 4 types
    1 Permenant fulltime
    2 Part time 20 hrs
    3 part time 16 hrs
    4 Full time 1 year fixed term contract.

Its a joke but cant expect anything less from the DAA or their muppet sidekicks SIPTU.:mad:

Thanks a mill, I have not enough posts to send you a PM, can u send me one?

I sent an email to liveline re this farce and got a call straight away from them, but as I am not personally involved, they want people this has effected to go on air, the person I know that has been stung is working elsewhere at the mo, so in fairness would not be able to go on the airwaves.

But if any of you feel angry enough and hard done by, go on just email joe@rte.ie and they will gladly take up this issue in liveline !

This farce and the practices of the DAA as highlighted by many of you, in particular supervisor1, needs to be put out there..this country is such a state that false hope of 500 jobs and exploitation by a state owned company is not on :mad:

Go on talk to Joe ;)

I sent an email to liveline re this farce and got a call straight away from them, but as I am not personally involved, they want people this has effected to go on air, the person I know that has been stung is working elsewhere at the mo, so in fairness would not be able to go on the airwaves.

But if any of you feel angry enough and hard done by, go on just email joe@rte.ie and they will gladly take up this issue in liveline !

This farce and the practices of the DAA as highlighted by many of you, in particular supervisor1, needs to be put out there..this country is such a state that false hope of 500 jobs and exploitation by a state owned company is not on :mad:

Go on talk to Joe ;)

I am amazed this has not yet been picked up by the media. I would love to this myself as I have so many issues and concerns about what is going on but I would compramise my own position in doing so.
    One major concern in passenger screening t2 is we are only 50 mins flying time from London and with the new American Customs and Immigration preclearance it is felt by many we could become a major target. As I said before experiance comes with time so if staff turnover is high there will not be that experiance in t2 thus putting the traveling public at risk.
    Its slave labour they want over there and are using the down turn in the economy as an excuse to get it. What price is on a life? never mind 200-300.
    Even the team leaders they have brought in none are from current ASU even though many applied and have the experiance required some were not even given an interview.
    The feeling by some management in t1 is give it 6 months and they will be sent over to fix the mess but by then will it be to late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭PKen

Bertiebasher, you're bang on. If whoever gets on to Liveline can articulate as well as yourself, then the issue will have been raised. I would advise anyone ringing in to prepare (like all those interviews) and have notes ready. Joe Duffy can try to talk YOU down a lot, so be ready (if need be) to talk HIM down. We don't yet know his views regarding the DAA.

I'm a little pesimistic about Liveline highlighting this, as I think the media have been paid off. Hopefully I'm wrong. What usually puts me off is the way the researchers keep telling you, "Don't mention this, Don't say that, Don't use any names" etc. I called recently about something else and what I wanted to say was so Censored, I decided not to talk.

Please don't be put off by my experience. There's plenty of people personally involved and effected, so get e-mailing and phoning. What about the applicants who declined the jobs - they have nothing to lose. They might agree to diguise your voice or allow you use a ficticious name. Thanks supervisor1, spygirl and Chachu for your informative contributions.

Advertisement