Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

500 new DAA Jobs But ''No Vacancies'' On DAA Website??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 slave

hi everyone who has a concern on this topic and a BIG HELLO to any member of management of DAA who might be reading. Did the DAA go on holidays with Mick O Leary this summer well I hope they got sun burn because when this mess is sorted they will have red faces. The way they treated people is crap the contract is crap the money is crap. No media interest begs a question. Imagine dobbo on rte 6.01 at xmass 2011 when t2 staff are done with probation and have the balls to strike for better cons and pay or big empty new terminal on sky news I have as have other people kids mortgage bills ect but will do what I have to for now.

Keep kicking a dog when its down one day it will the will bite back

Hi Everyone

Just checking in, started induction on Monday. Some people who were given 16 hour contracts have been moved up to full time, not many but two or three.

The pay will increase after a year, when you pass probation and then can increase yearly to a capped amount (but do not yet know what that is).

The training is excellent, really is (so far) and everything about the job seems great so far.
    They are putting an awful lot of resources, time, money and effort into the training, not to mention the recruitment. Therefore I honestly believe if they start to see a massive turnover of staff, low retention etc, then they will improve the conditions.

I know theres a lot of negatives regarding the recruitment process and they have messed up by giving people 16/20 hr contracts instead of 40 but I can assure you that the job, training and company is not as bad as it has been made out to be.

And I've spoken to 2 people who follow this thread, one started this week and the other in the last batch, all of which agree it is not nearly a slight bit as bad as it has been made out to be (but again, totally agree the 40hr to 16hr mess up is unacceptable).

Pay is bad to start but does go up as long as you pass probation and do a good job.

At the end of the day, its a job with great prospects, pay increases, Good training, good working environment, different every day (4 jobs in one), off the dole and back in the work force etc.

How many people do YOU (the royal you) know that have lost their job? Taken a paycut? Got benifits or bonus taken away? etc etc

Answer for me personally, quite a few, at least half of my friends if not 3/4 have all had one of the above happen recently.

Therefore, its NEVER going to be as good as ASU have it in Terminal 1, thats the reality of it. They have selected a great bunch of people.

As for whether or not €12.50PH in the first year is worth the job? We'll wait and see, it is actually more than a lot of other airline staff at the moment (Checkin Staff & Some cabin crew) Some of which have also had their shift allowance stripped (before that's thrown back at me)

Anyway....
    ...Rant over. I just wanted to throw that out there any my experience so far with DAA in the induction etc.

I really cant stress to anyone who is yet to start that it is NOT as bad as it is being made out to be here.

If anything, looking at this thread made me unjustifiably negative before I started the job. Now that I have started I can see that.

So, as a result, to keep my sight set on the facts and not just the negative (and sometimes inaccurate) comments I'm unsubscribing from the thread now.

Best of luck to anyone yet to have an interview (I know for a fact its still ongoing) and best of luck to everyone who is due to start the job, I look forward to working with you.

Remember, it can (and will) only get better !!

Cheers
    Spy

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Bertiebasher

slave wrote: »
    hi everyone who has a concern on this topic and a BIG HELLO to any member of management of DAA who might be reading. Did the DAA go on holidays with Mick O Leary this summer well I hope they got sun burn because when this mess is sorted they will have red faces. The way they treated people is crap the contract is crap the money is crap. No media interest begs a question. Imagine dobbo on rte 6.01 at xmass 2011 when t2 staff are done with probation and have the balls to strike for better cons and pay or big empty new terminal on sky news I have as have other people kids mortgage bills ect but will do what I have to for now.

Keep kicking a dog when its down one day it will the will bite back

Well said, if you were or are one of the "successful" applicants" I plead with you - talk to joe :mad:

They rang me straight back and they were interested, but again, I am not personally involved so they need folk that are !

Anyone ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭supervisor1

Hi Everyone

Just checking in, started induction on Monday. Some people who were given 16 hour contracts have been moved up to full time, not many but two or three.

The pay will increase after a year, when you pass probation and then can increase yearly to a capped amount (but do not yet know what that is).

The training is excellent, really is (so far) and everything about the job seems great so far.
    They are putting an awful lot of resources, time, money and effort into the training, not to mention the recruitment. Therefore I honestly believe if they start to see a massive turnover of staff, low retention etc, then they will improve the conditions.

I know theres a lot of negatives regarding the recruitment process and they have messed up by giving people 16/20 hr contracts instead of 40 but I can assure you that the job, training and company is not as bad as it has been made out to be.

And I've spoken to 2 people who follow this thread, one started this week and the other in the last batch, all of which agree it is not nearly a slight bit as bad as it has been made out to be (but again, totally agree the 40hr to 16hr mess up is unacceptable).

Pay is bad to start but does go up as long as you pass probation and do a good job.

At the end of the day, its a job with great prospects, pay increases, Good training, good working environment, different every day (4 jobs in one), off the dole and back in the work force etc.

How many people do YOU (the royal you) know that have lost their job? Taken a paycut? Got benifits or bonus taken away? etc etc

Answer for me personally, quite a few, at least half of my friends if not 3/4 have all had one of the above happen recently.

Therefore, its NEVER going to be as good as ASU have it in Terminal 1, thats the reality of it. They have selected a great bunch of people.

As for whether or not €12.50PH in the first year is worth the job? We'll wait and see, it is actually more than a lot of other airline staff at the moment (Checkin Staff & Some cabin crew) Some of which have also had their shift allowance stripped (before that's thrown back at me)

Anyway....
    ...Rant over. I just wanted to throw that out there any my experience so far with DAA in the induction etc.

I really cant stress to anyone who is yet to start that it is NOT as bad as it is being made out to be here.

If anything, looking at this thread made me unjustifiably negative before I started the job. Now that I have started I can see that.

So, as a result, to keep my sight set on the facts and not just the negative (and sometimes inaccurate) comments I'm unsubscribing from the thread now.

Best of luck to anyone yet to have an interview (I know for a fact its still ongoing) and best of luck to everyone who is due to start the job, I look forward to working with you.

Remember, it can (and will) only get better !!

Cheers
    Spy

While I have the up most respect for you and your posts I disagree with some of what you have said. You are only there 3 days and have not yet got into shift work. The upper amount of the pay scale is €18.50 which if you get there after 6 years yes 6 years its not great.
    Believe me the **** has yet to hit the fan and from what I hear from over there alot of new recruits are already voicing about the bad roster, pay and conditions.
    Having said that I admire your opinions and wish you all the best in the future.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Ah don't let a good witch hunt get in the way of some semblance of normality.

Lots of bitterness on this thread.

Would be interesting to see when everyone who's moaning finds work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Bertiebasher

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Ah don't let a good witch hunt get in the way of some semblance of normality.

Lots of bitterness on this thread.

Would be interesting to see when everyone who's moaning finds work.

In fairness, my main issue is an applicant goes for an interview, gets the job, does the med checks etc etc and then gets a call from agency, sorry slight change in contract, you are going to be working 20hrs not 40hrs a week...not much good to a one income family with a mortgage and kids..

the working conditions I am hearing are not great, but that is not my main gripe, it is unfair to be elated one minute at finally getting a job with possible good prospects and then to hear eh sorry it's part time..that is just plain wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭PKen

While I have the up most respect for you and your posts I disagree with some of what you have said. You are only there 3 days and have not yet got into shift work. The upper amount of the pay scale is €18.50 which if you get there after 6 years yes 6 years its not great.
    Believe me the **** has yet to hit the fan and from what I hear from over there alot of new recruits are already voicing about the bad roster, pay and conditions.
    Having said that I admire your opinions and wish you all the best in the future.:o

18.50euro after 6 years isn't bad, condidering it's not a management role. The job surely aint rocket science - or is it? I finished a job after 9 years and my final hourly rate was 15euro (including shift)! And the role had considerable responsibility.
    I take it, pay is perfomance related or is it like the Civil Service where you get it raised each year anyway? - increments I think they call it. I guess it's performance related. The increases we received were embarassing.
    Maybe Spyguy is right. I wouldn't mind a chance to give it a go. I'm one of the people who never even got an interview. Try working for the Multi-Nationals or the Private Sector in general and you'll know what real exploitation is.
    I'm playing Devils Advocate now. It's in my nature to tease out all angles in a debate. So here goes: maybe there IS too much bitching by people who should be glad to have a job. Admitedly, the hours (16/20) are an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 busbybabe

In fairness, my main issue is an applicant goes for an interview, gets the job, does the med checks etc etc and then gets a call from agency, sorry slight change in contract, you are going to be working 20hrs not 40hrs a week...not much good to a one income family with a mortgage and kids..

the working conditions I am hearing are not great, but that is not my main gripe, it is unfair to be elated one minute at finally getting a job with possible good prospects and then to hear eh sorry it's part time..that is just plain wrong

Exactly my point.The Daa are getting very negative comments on here for very good reasons,as bertiebasher has correctly pointed out above.
    To be fair to spygirl,she has been very supportive of those who have been shafted at the last minute with 16hours.But the way people have been treated is a major scandal,maybe not to those who have not had there hours reduced(as i would imagine these are the people who have a problem with the negative comments about the daa)but to those who have been successful in getting the job they applied for,ie a 40hour week and then to be offered less then half of that,it is almost like losing a job....devastating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Chachu

busbybabe wrote: »
    Exactly my point.The Daa are getting very negative comments on here for very good reasons,as bertiebasher has correctly pointed out above.
    To be fair to spygirl,she has been very supportive of those who have been shafted at the last minute with 16hours.But the way people have been treated is a major scandal,maybe not to those who have not had there hours reduced(as i would imagine these are the people who have a problem with the negative comments about the daa)but to those who have been successful in getting the job they applied for,ie a 40hour week and then to be offered less then half of that,it is almost like losing a job....devastating.

Couldn’t agree more. I personally was on cloud nine when I was told I had a position in T2. The thing that p****s me off is that I was only informed of the reduced hours 2 ½ weeks after being awarded the position. I would imagine that the powers that be in the DAA knew well in advance that they were going to re-jig the hours, but were happy to leave people believing they had landed a full time position. My friend is attending the 2nd round interview this week under the premise of it being a 40hour week position. This just proves that they are still purposefully lying to people to draw them in for interviews.

I agree with Spy girl in the fact that she is starting a new role, and does not want to go in with a negative attitude. I wish you the best and hope it works out great for you, but you have to understand we were all as enthusiastic as you about this role before getting kicked in the n**ts.

I know first hand how bleak things are in the job market place and have previously attended interviews for some horrible rolls, but those roles were advertised for what they were. My issue is not with the pay, hours or working conditions, it is with the deceit and lack of transparentsy shown by Flexsource and the DAA from the very beginning of this process.:mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lovetheway

Hi I'm new here, hope you don't mind me jumping in mid-forum! I was offered a job in the maintenance section which I accepted without hesitation as the pay is very good and I have not being working since may, but from reading here I'm worried how I will be treated, is there any maintenance techs on here or do any of the people no any of them? Hope the daa cop on and and give people the job hours they were told they had. All the best folks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 FLM

Hello All does anyone know anything about OCS. As I have not heard from Flexsource since I applied for position for T2 they would not reply by phone or e-mail.
    OCS have been onto me about Security Screening for T2 I've to go for an interview it's just that there has been so much information about flexsource I would be grateful if anyone knows anything about OCS it would be a great help as I have given up on Flexsource.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Puma5

FLM wrote: »
    Hello All does anyone know anything about OCS. As I have not heard from Flexsource since I applied for position for T2 they would not reply by phone or e-mail.
    OCS have been onto me about Security Screening for T2 I've to go for an interview it's just that there has been so much information about flexsource I would be grateful if anyone knows anything about OCS it would be a great help as I have given up on Flexsource.

OCS currently do the reduced mobility in T1 along with certain parts of the cleaning. They will be doing the screening for checked bags in T2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 FLM

Thanks for the information Puma5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 missyeire

HI Guys, I've been following this thread for the last few weeks and well was really worried about starting, but now that I have well here's a few of my opinions (and I don't mean to knock anyone elses point of view)
    I like thousands of others was made redundant over a year ago and even though I am qualified in several areas have found it impossible to get a job. When I applied for the Job with DAA, yes it did take a bit of time to get an interview etc etc but after working in other large companies, I don't think that was unexpected - after all I think they got something like 13000 applications!!!! Honestly, thats not something you get through in a month!!!! I can understand why people are annoyed by the 16/20 hr or even 40 hour contracts but can I ask a question (and again, please don't take this the wrong way) Who is forcing anyone to take one of these jobs??? At the end of the day we all have a choice, and my only advice is if you're giving out about a place before you even start, well, then, maybe you should think again about working there - I know that I am delighted to have a reason to get up in the morning again, and am going to give the job everything - thats just my opinion and for all the other new starters am really looking forward to working with such a great bunch of people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

missyeire wrote: »
    HI Guys, I've been following this thread for the last few weeks and well was really worried about starting, but now that I have well here's a few of my opinions (and I don't mean to knock anyone elses point of view)
    I like thousands of others was made redundant over a year ago and even though I am qualified in several areas have found it impossible to get a job. When I applied for the Job with DAA, yes it did take a bit of time to get an interview etc etc but after working in other large companies, I don't think that was unexpected - after all I think they got something like 13000 applications!!!! Honestly, thats not something you get through in a month!!!! I can understand why people are annoyed by the 16/20 hr or even 40 hour contracts but can I ask a question (and again, please don't take this the wrong way) Who is forcing anyone to take one of these jobs??? At the end of the day we all have a choice, and my only advice is if you're giving out about a place before you even start, well, then, maybe you should think again about working there - I know that I am delighted to have a reason to get up in the morning again, and am going to give the job everything - thats just my opinion and for all the other new starters am really looking forward to working with such a great bunch of people :)

I take it you weren't offered 16 hours after being told it was 40 then :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 busbybabe

missyeire wrote: »
    I like thousands of others was made redundant over a year ago and even though I am qualified in several areas have found it impossible to get a job. When I applied for the Job with DAA, yes it did take a bit of time to get an interview etc etc but after working in other large companies, I don't think that was unexpected - after all I think they got something like 13000 applications!!!! Honestly, that's not something you get through in a month!!!! I can understand why people are annoyed by the 16/20 hr or even 40 hour contracts but can I ask a question (and again, please don't take this the wrong way) Who is forcing anyone to take one of these jobs??? At the end of the day we all have a choice, and my only advice is if you're giving out about a place before you even start, well, then, maybe you should think again about working there - I know that I am delighted to have a reason to get up in the morning again, and am going to give the job everything - thats just my opinion and for all the other new starters am really looking forward to working with such a great bunch of people :)

You are totally missing the point people are making.We all applied for the positions in good fate that it was a 40hour week at 12.50 per hour totaling a PRE TAX and other subsidies of €500 per week income.Not the 16hours €200 PRE TAX that is now being offered.(A €300 drop in income!!)I have also taken 3 days off work to prepare for the 3 interviews/interrogation that it has taken me to NOT be offered the job i applied for(a 40 hour week,full time position)I have the utmost respect for everyone who takes the time to contribute to this thread,but i TOTALY disagree with your opinion.Will you be happy if the daa decide to half your hours after you start working for them?....i think not....but then again,a job is a job isn't it??......siptu will love you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭supervisor1

busbybabe wrote: »
    You are totally missing the point people are making.We all applied for the positions in good fate that it was a 40hour week at 12.50 per hour totaling a PRE TAX and other subsidies of €500 per week income.Not the 16hours €200 PRE TAX that is now being offered.(A €300 drop in income!!)I have also taken 3 days off work to prepare for the 3 interviews/interrogation that it has taken me to NOT be offered the job i applied for(a 40 hour week,full time position)I have the utmost respect for everyone who takes the time to contribute to this thread,but i TOTALY disagree with your opinion.Will you be happy if the daa decide to half your hours after you start working for them?....i think not....but then again,a job is a job isn't it??......siptu will love you.

I totally agree and would also like to say there is some unease already from new recruits in relation to €12.50 roster terms and conditions and they havent even started 10hr shifts yet. As for the union get together and all join a real union SIPTU has no spine and cant stand straight to look its members in the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Having started training myself I have to say I am very positive about it. I won't say much because I am technically an employee but I will say the trainers are fantastic and all the staff we have met are very friendly. The DAA are very serious about T2 and the people who will run it, having put huge resources into training. I reserve ultimate judgement until I start actual work, but so far it's good and I'm getting a very positive vibe from it.

Most people I have spoken to are very happy to have the job. That may change of course, I'll post back when work starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭eamonhonda

Just received my contract for the job. Starting on monday with a 35 hour average week. I am very happy to say the least and hop that people who have received reduced hour contracts get their problems sorted out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭alanacadia

Hello Eamonhonda,
    Congrats on your new job, what position did you apply for and what did you get in the end, just curious .

Good Luck on your new start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭eamonhonda

I actually applied for both facilities and passenger team member, and got interview for facilities team member. I was then offered the position for facilities team member. Just signed the contract and got it back in the post :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 EasyTimes

I totally agree and would also like to say there is some unease already from new recruits in relation to €12.50 roster terms and conditions and they havent even started 10hr shifts yet. As for the union get together and all join a real union SIPTU has no spine and cant stand straight to look its members in the eye.

I heard that SIPTU aren't the best up in the airport but is it possible we could chose to get a different union when the rest of the airport use SIPTU?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 maori

Hi guys.Just got the phone call today about signing the contract, but unfortunately I had been offered 19,5 hours, so I refuse it.I have a full time job at the moment so I hope somebody else without any job will be happy with it.Everything happens for reason so maybe its not my time yet to change the job and they didnt have a size of the shirt for me as well lol.:) anyway, I wish everybody all the best with the new job and I hope all the troubles will be sortet.Good luck! KIA ORA!!!

Hello, anybody know the time scale for the following , I signed my contract on 14/09/2010, went over to Alsa to get a fit for the uniform on the same day,, have my starting date of 11/Oct/2010 but have heard nothing since,:( I phoned the Daa HR Center on Thursday 23rd Sept and was told that they should be getting around to next batch of new staff, and the uniform dept will phone me and tell me when to call,:) and hopefully on the same day I can get photo Id done and parking permit issued,:) all sounds great but when do the uniform dept make that call,:confused: like im not getting a made to measure uniform, just med jacket, and bottoms, and shoes to fit:cool:, my problem is I want to be fully orginised dont want to be running around like a headless chicken at the last minute , as Im still in work and have to clear the time off with existing employer, anybody out there offer any advice please .
    Thanks in Advance
    Cheers to all :(

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭hego19

alanacadia wrote: »
    Hello, anybody know the time scale for the following , I signed my contract on 14/09/2010, went over to Alsa to get a fit for the uniform on the same day,, have my starting date of 11/Oct/2010 but have heard nothing since,:( I phoned the Daa HR Center on Thursday 23rd Sept and was told that they should be getting around to next batch of new staff, and the uniform dept will phone me and tell me when to call,:) and hopefully on the same day I can get photo Id done and parking permit issued,:) all sounds great but when do the uniform dept make that call,:confused: like im not getting a made to measure uniform, just med jacket, and bottoms, and shoes to fit:cool:, my problem is I want to be fully orginised dont want to be running around like a headless chicken at the last minute , as Im still in work and have to clear the time off with existing employer, anybody out there offer any advice please .
    Thanks in Advance
    Cheers to all :(

odds are you'll get a call of the clothes stores next tuesday or wednesday to collect a temporary uniform on friday! then start training on the 11th

Thanks for that info , so what if they contact me on friday 8th Oct , to collect the uniform, what about my photo id, and the car park pass etc, not really giving me anytime to get all that sorted are they .

especially if its only a temp uniform, whats the problem , getting me to collect now or say next monday 4th Oct why wait till the very last minute. I dont understand ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 EasyTimes

I see people aren't starting till the 11th or something, are there a lot of people still starting on monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭hego19

alanacadia wrote: »
    Thanks for that info , so what if they contact me on friday 8th Oct , to collect the uniform, what about my photo id, and the car park pass etc, not really giving me anytime to get all that sorted are they .

especially if its only a temp uniform, whats the problem , getting me to collect now or say next monday 4th Oct why wait till the very last minute. I dont understand ,

it'll be before then I got my call on tuesday to collect on friday! you've already filled in your forms for clearance so its just a matter of the photo!
    when you sign/ed your contract you fill in all your details for car pass!

don't stress yourself out. I was but now its all falling in to place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 tonymill

Does any know what the word / legislation on interview feedback is please?

I eMailed Flexsource, chasing them for a first interview on 25th July and got a reply on 29th September !!!

In between those dates I had the first and second interviews.

Within that eMailed reply from Flexsource was -

"We regret to advise that on this occasion your application will not be progressed to the next round. Considering the unprecedented number of applications being processed we will not be in a position to provide further feedback at this time ."

I keep reading about "the unprecedented number of applications".

I've read of 15,000 applications for 500 jobs = 30 per job.
    Earlier in this thread, it is suggested that 100 jobs went to T1 employees, so that leaves 15,000 applications for 400 jobs = 37.5 per job.I have also read that the average amount of applications per job, in Ireland, at the moment is circa 100.

This would suggest to me that rather than Flexsource being overwhelmed, they are underesourced. Particulary with a nine week delay in replying to a simple eMail.

Do other readers of this thread concur?

Does anyone know what are my rights regarding feedback please ?

If there was anything of concern in my second interview, I would obviously like to address and hopefully rectify this before (hopefully) future interviews with other prospective employers.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

tonymill wrote: »
    Does any know what the word / legislation on interview feedback is please?

I eMailed Flexsource, chasing them for a first interview on 25th July and got a reply on 29th September !!!

In between those dates I had the first and second interviews.

Within that eMailed reply from Flexsource was -

"We regret to advise that on this occasion your application will not be progressed to the next round. Considering the unprecedented number of applications being processed we will not be in a position to provide further feedback at this time ."

I keep reading about "the unprecedented number of applications".

I've read of 15,000 applications for 500 jobs = 30 per job.
    Earlier in this thread, it is suggested that 100 jobs went to T1 employees, so that leaves 15,000 applications for 400 jobs = 37.5 per job.I have also read that the average amount of applications per job, in Ireland, at the moment is circa 100.

This would suggest to me that rather than Flexsource being overwhelmed, they are underesourced. Particulary with a nine week delay in replying to a simple eMail.

Do other readers of this thread concur?

Does anyone know what are my rights regarding feedback please ?

If there was anything of concern in my second interview, I would obviously like to address and hopefully rectify this before (hopefully) future interviews with other prospective employers.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance.

I'm in the same boat as you but i still haven't hweard a word from them since i put in the customer service form but they keep saying its taking longer than expceted to process your form.
    Are the first round interviews all over.
    Because there telling me they haven't even begun

Advertisement