Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

500 new DAA Jobs But ''No Vacancies'' On DAA Website??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 thundercatgary

guys,
    Have you all got your Garda Vetting stuff back or are some of you still waiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭alanacadia

Hello To all especially anybody joining as trainees from 1st November .

the Update so far.
    Well this was supposed to be my last week of training, but in our computer training class the comp room power went down on Friday which ment we all could not do the final computer exam, so have to do it on Monday instead, word of warning the computer virtual exam is a total nightmare, its very hard, to fully understand , but there is an end always in sight, just be warned , you might think you will do it in 2 hours, most of our class after 7 hours were still failing, but at least your allowed to fail until you pass, if that make sense to you, i-e you will not get the job until you actually pass the virtual computer exam, all the other exams, and assesements put together are easy compared to that final computer exam, but it is passable, so dont go into total fera mode after reading this .
    the week went great, we were inT1 most of the week,working live, I found all the T1 staff to be nice and all the Trainers that are teaching us definitly I found them to be simply the best, now thats totaly my opinion, I do not speak for everybody, so my advice, is listen to the people teaching you, take loads of notes to refer back to, when you hear the words ,( need to know ) write whatever it was they said you need to know and hghlight it, because you will need to know for your written exam, talk to your new team workers and discuss any problems you might be having, with anything, forget about the rosters, work is work does not really matter what hours your working, get the job, its a great job, if you like dealing with people then this is the job for you, if you find you dont really like it then we all know where the front door is, me I love the job, i would defo like the wage to be higher, but sure maybe later down the line the DAA will sort things out, but basicilly in this recession this is the job to have, I am with a great group of neww employees, great fun to be with, and we all have a great natter in the lounges on our breaks, my 3 weeks was intense, lots of studying, never did studying in my life but I made sure I did it now, and hopefully I get my cert on Monday 1st 2010, so thats my update for you. and before anybody comes back with a reply to say they had a different expierience, the points Im making are my expierience, I cant speak for anybody else.
    OK Cheers to all, and hopefully I will meet some of the new members starting on Monday 1st.
    Good luck to you all
    :):D:):D:p:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

There are MORE new PS trainees starting Monday?! We already have huge staff numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭alanacadia

Hello to all ,
    Final update.
    we all passed out on Tuesday, had a nice easy day wednesday, another one on thursday , and friday we were off, day off for working the bank holiday Monday. so next week its into the Big T2, FOR REAL LOOKING FORWARD TO GETTING STUCK IN , and doing the real thing, all went well so far and the 2 week roster , its not bad, but after the next 2 weeks the real roster comes out so we will wait for that, so my opinion from start to finish, well studying was hard, there was a lot to learn, my entire team, great people to be with, the teachers excellent, the management excellent as well, the job Brill so far, do I like getting up for work, answer is for this job I love getting up for work, its a great buzz, the building and facilities 20 years ahead of its time,so if your travelling through the building, it will take the depression out of the recession for you guranteed.
    I must point out I am only speaking for myself here, and not for everybody, this is my view of what has been presented to me so far.
    so anybody coming in later well my advice, is listen, learn, do the job right, and you cant go wrong.

Cheers and thanks to all the GREAT TEACHERS, THE MANAGEMENT, and to all my new workmates.

Cheers to all :p:p:p:p:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭big barrie

there is going to be a huge fall out after you find out how hard the job is, do you realise how difficult it is getting up before 3am and there for 9 hours if you are working full time . you will have no social life and you will be in bed before your kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

alanacadia wrote: »
    the building and facilities 20 years ahead of its time
    In what way? In 10 years time it will have been superseded in more ways than we can imagine, never mind 20.
    big barrie wrote: »
    there is going to be a huge fall out after you find out how hard the job is, do you realise how difficult it is getting up before 3am and there for 9 hours if you are working full time . you will have no social life and you will be in bed before your kids.
    If you call that difficult you obviously have never had a difficult job. You would have to wonder what ulterior motives you would have to come on and post such negativity. Moan, moan, moan, negative, negative, negative....

Bluetonic wrote: »
    In what way? In 10 years time it will have been superseded in more ways than we can imagine, never mind 20.

If you call that difficult you obviously have never had a difficult job. You would have to wonder what ulterior motives you would have to come on and post such negativity. Moan, moan, moan, negative, negative, negative....

He is just giving his opinion . And he is right it will be tough for some
    people, especially if they have to travel some distance to the job.But its a job and most people will be happy to have it.

He is just giving his opinion.
    It is mostly stated as presumed fact, not opinion.

It's scaremongering of the highest order from someone who presumably does not know the poster.

bluetonic i am sure you meant roster not poster you were 2 tired after a long hard 12.50 an hour day . 9 hours for 8 .

bluetonic i am sure you meant roster not poster you were 2 tired after a long hard 12.50 an hour day . 9 hours for 8 .
    Trying to make sense of your illiterate post is what has me tired.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 biteme2010

Haven't wrote on this thread as of yet but have been following closely.

Started in DAA on the 11th October, few F**k ups courtesy of the DAA or ASC depending which one you wanna call them.. (was under the impression was ASC but our uniform says DAA, payslip days DAA o and contract says DAA)
    Anyway we all kind of had a rant and let it go, give them the benefit of the doubt being new recruits and all that.

well we recieved our "rosters" on friday, well what an absolute shambles they are!!!! what are they paying this women who actually does these rosters because it should be f**kin peanuts as shes nothing but a useless monkey!!!

id love to see her do 4 nights in a row, 10pm-7am then have 1 day of and be in at 4... whats even funnier is she thinks we get 2days off, even though were working 7hours of it...

And whats the story with working christmas? and new years eve? some people are working both and the other people arent working either of them... hows that fair?
    When we bought this up we had a sarcastic reply from admin and then was kindly told my management its ok there will be a christmas tree... seems there not all humbugs after all...

And can somebody clarify that if we book time of it doesnt have to fit into the roster? what an absolute shambles because people who didnt know if you want time off it has to fit in with your roster... surely then that isnt holidays thats what would normally be your day off then you have to get swops...

Somebody in there needs to really cop onto themselves before everybody leaves then they've no-one to work in there precious terminal...

Reduced hour rosters mean you don't EVER have a weekend off....

The team leaders are all up there own holes, dont give a monkeys about anyone, they dont have a clue whos in half the time, were on 12hour shifts at the moment some people clock in, show there face for half hour in the morning go disappearing then come back for the last half hour...
    They speak to you as if your stupid, stick you outside in the freezing cold to manage a post, then you get screamed at by the builders because your not meant to be there without a safe pass..... (how did these idiots get this job)luckily they've coped onto this now, and have got another company to do this....

And heres a laugh for you all, builders can bring through hammers, stanley knives, drills, bevels, screwdrivers the lot but they cant take a fork through with them to eat there lunch........

Best bit was we were taught this week how to put tents up because the suicide rates are going to be high in T2 because of the heights that there are (tents are to cover body) all this for 12.50 an hour... how lucky do i feel.....

STAY AWAY FROM ANY JOB OFFERED TO YOU IN T2 AND SURE AS HELL DONT LEAVE A JOB LIKE ALOT OF US DID TO WORK FOR A S**TE COMPANY!!!....

Can someone post the part time roster for me.
    Thanks.

P.s biteme2010 this sounds to me pretty much what i signed up for and expected
    we were all warned

hmm . by the way thunder who said i was a he , well all that crap before one passanger passes through t2 , as i said a huge fall out after x mas i expect when you have to deal with impatient costomers, no breaks when it is busy you will then think about the so called job the the long night shifts, earlys, no weekends off , the very best of luck to you all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Batiste

there are a lot of internal interviews probably being held i would imagine..

Batiste wrote: »
    there are a lot of internal interviews probably being held i would imagine..

what do mean .batiste.

p.s apologies mrs big barrie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

I start the full whack of nightshifts (3 months) tonight. Say a prayer..:p

Rockee wrote: »
    I start the full whack of nightshifts (3 months) tonight. Say a prayer..:p

keep us posted .

we seriously need to all get together n sort this ****e out, were never gonna get anywhere otherwise...

the union are trying but its gonna be weeks. id be surprised if people will make it over the next 2 weeks...

Can some one post part time roster for me thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 16 smurfette2

SIPTU back in T2 today - seemingly the roster may be changed & we will know next week if it is or not.

Why not have 4x9hour shifts as opposed to 5x7hour shifts?
    That way people have an extra day off each week and it only costs the DAA/ASC an extra one hou's pay for each staff member ;) Unless they decided this was against signed contracts and banked the extra hour per week worked by all it's staff members :rolleyes:

Besides - it's probably only a small minority that are unhappy with the rosters, the rest are probably just glad that they have a job.

If the rosters are changed what repercussions would that have for people who have already made plans or arrangements on the strength of the original rosters?

• Advertisement

why not three 12 hour shifts . ? having more time off daa wont like that we suggested that to union fell on deaf ears . they will make it as hard as possible for you .

SIPTU reckoned yesterday that staff are now going to get either Christmas or New Year off - despite what the rosters say :rolleyes:

Does that mean that they can just change the rosters - which have been set for almost a year in advance - and ride roughshod over the poor sods who have already made their holiday plans on the strength of the published rosters? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Well as long as you're happy with the holiday roster and working 3 months of nights and not inconvienienced and don't give a damn about your fellow workers :rolleyes:

Grawns wrote: »
    Well as long as you're happy with the holiday roster and working 3 months of nights and not inconvienienced and don't give a damn about your fellow workers :rolleyes:

Sure you're going to have to work shifts - no matter which way they arrange them i.e. three months of a shift or a week of each as in earlies, lates and then nights :p

All I'm pointing out is that they published rosters which was presumably to enable people to make plans and now they're talking about changing them :rolleyes:

take note daa to send 65 tee 2 employees to tee 1 for the x mas and new year period . because you are getting paid for doing nothing .:)

anybody know if its true that some of t2 staff are going over to t1?

ive heard all kinds of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

take note daa to send 65 tee 2 employees to tee 1 for the x mas and new year period . because you are getting paid for doing nothing .:)

Source? Siptu won't allow T2 workers in T1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭xxshebeexx

Not quite DAA job related, but it's T2/DAA related and I'm hoping someone here can help me!

I'm a final year Media student in NUIM and as part of a radio production project, my classmates and I were looking to talk to someone in T2 about the new terminal - very general, very positive, just a quick it's-shiny-and-new-isn't-it-pretty five minute chat. We're looking to record it on site, just a mini-disk recorder, an informal chat for a radio show that will not be broadcast on public radio.

Would DAA mind us coming to the airport with a recorder or would they be against it? Who might be willing to give us such an interview (we don't need anyone really important!)?

Any helps or tips would be appreciated! It's an idea we'd love to run with, but are literally contactless in airport circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

xxshebeexx wrote: »
    Not quite DAA job related, but it's T2/DAA related and I'm hoping someone here can help me!

I'm a final year Media student in NUIM and as part of a radio production project, my classmates and I were looking to talk to someone in T2 about the new terminal - very general, very positive, just a quick it's-shiny-and-new-isn't-it-pretty five minute chat. We're looking to record it on site, just a mini-disk recorder, an informal chat for a radio show that will not be broadcast on public radio.

Would DAA mind us coming to the airport with a recorder or would they be against it? Who might be willing to give us such an interview (we don't need anyone really important!)?

Any helps or tips would be appreciated! It's an idea we'd love to run with, but are literally contactless in airport circles.

I'd say if you contact one of the following they will help you.

Paul O’Kane, Public Affairs Director, DAA
    Tel 353 1 8141897, 353 86 6090221

Siobhan Moore, External Communications Manager, DAA
    Tel 353 1 8144108, 353 87 2710065

• Advertisement

Why will SIPTU not allow T2 staff in to T1??

Surely the T1 staff would be glad of the help :)

And T2 staff would be glad to have something to actually do, as opposed to standing around all day/night trying to look busy :D

Advertisement