Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terra Nova - Fox *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,844 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Mr E wrote: »
    Guys, from reading that post, the show isn't dead.
    Am reading inbetween the lines here..

.. but I'd imagine Fox don't want to scare away viewers to the show yet with 8 (??) episodes left by saying "cancelled" or "not renewed", so they're leaving an open door to keep them keen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭squonk

I'm getting bored with this show. Last night's ep, Ep 4 I think, was just awful. Admittedly iOS5 is out today so I was getting my iPad and iPhone ready for a quick install, but I only started 20 minutes into the episode. I realised that as soon as they mentioned people reverting to earlier memories where things were going to go. Boy was i proved right. The whole thing really sucked and the resolution to the infection was right out of ST:Voyager.

To the earlier poster who complained about the security of the compound, well said. It reminds me of a fancier Cragganowen, the recreated Iron Age settlement in Co. Clare. In fairness to Iron Age farmers they didn't have to keep out dinosaurs but they did build it in the middle of a lake which makes Craganowen look more defensible than Terra Nova in my book. Even if they didn't quite manage a roof, you'd expect a few gantrys around the place with heave artillery on them to fend off any invaders. In my view they could have learned from the opening episodes of BSG where they had the drama of needing to jump every 30 minutes. They could have had a scenario where the place was constantly being attacked, randomly. After a bit they could have had some of the scientists discover that sound at particular frequiencies acted as a deterrant for instance.

Instead they're wasting time with a really unlikeable family. I've given up caring about the family at this point. The standout character is the surly son's girlfriend who might be a snake in the grass. The writers even managed to ruin that storyline as well. The latest development that he wants to get his old girlfriend to Terra Nova had me screaming "WTF!!!". Seriously dude! You knew you were doing a one-way trip. You arrive in your new locale and, against all odds given how much of a douche you are, you hook up with a real honey and after a few weeks of pissing about with the 'Oh I really like you' stuff, as soon as anything tangible happens you're straight out with 'Oh, hold on, I want my old GF to come here now'. What's worse, the one character who showed promise because she could handle herself and was world wise decides in that instant, 'Oh, you know what, yeah, no problem. Let me sort that out for you'. I mean, really! Throw that alongside the whole storyline with the son's parents and the wife's ex partner and you can see that the writers don't know the meaning of the word 'consistency'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

The 4th episode was terrible!...brutal, it was easily the worst of the four to date!, dreadful script/dialogue and acting was woeful.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

After that episode i wish i had contracted the pathogen and could forget all about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

squonk wrote: »
    The standout character is the surly son's girlfriend who might be a snake in the grass. The writers even managed to ruin that storyline as well. The latest development that he wants to get his old girlfriend to Terra Nova had me screaming "WTF!!!". Seriously dude! You knew you were doing a one-way trip. You arrive in your new locale and, against all odds given how much of a douche you are, you hook up with a real honey and after a few weeks of pissing about with the 'Oh I really like you' stuff, as soon as anything tangible happens you're straight out with 'Oh, hold on, I want my old GF to come here now'. What's worse, the one character who showed promise because she could handle herself and was world wise decides in that instant, 'Oh, you know what, yeah, no problem. Let me sort that out for you'. I mean, really! Throw that alongside the whole storyline with the son's parents and the wife's ex partner and you can see that the writers don't know the meaning of the word 'consistency'.

He obviously wants a threesome, can't really blame him now can we ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,015 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Ignoring the Terra Nova 90210 aspect, the whole set-up's crazy anyway. They've obviously got several facilities away from the main settlement, not to mention having the time-crack also some way off from it.

All of these places must be vulnerable to attack from the "sixers", and if they go for the time-crack in particular, then the Terranovans are screwed, with all supplies cut off and no communication with the future.

Whoever put this crap together is barking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,779 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

but the sixers aren't necessarily the enemy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

I'm enjoying it, little less with each episode but I'm still finding something to enjoy from it.

Can't stand the son, everything about him is annoying where as the two daughters stories blend in better and don't try to force the way in to the main plot with some new annoyance every episode, unless they're that bland and I missed it.

Give it the full run and see what happens, more Dinosaurs and less family matters.

What's bothering me is that the world back home is dying and we presume that in a short while it won't be able to support life. They're moving all of their best scientists to Terra Nova and they're kitting them out with lots of technology which is grand, for now. I'm at a loss to figure out what happens in 10 years time when medical instruments break and need to be replaced/repaired. What about spare parts? Utilimately it looks like the civilisation is going to revert back to being almost technology free. You'd expect them to have people working on new processors or whatever or battery tech to keep all the gear going but all we've seen so far is a bunch of doctors, biologists and botanists. Feck, even when their iPad equivalents break down, it doesn't look like they've got the techonology licked to produce paper and ink on a large scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,015 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

squonk wrote: »
    What's bothering me is that the world back home is dying and we presume that in a short while it won't be able to support life. They're moving all of their best scientists to Terra Nova and they're kitting them out with lots of technology which is grand, for now. I'm at a loss to figure out what happens in 10 years time when medical instruments break and need to be replaced/repaired. What about spare parts? Utilimately it looks like the civilisation is going to revert back to being almost technology free. You'd expect them to have people working on new processors or whatever or battery tech to keep all the gear going but all we've seen so far is a bunch of doctors, biologists and botanists. Feck, even when their iPad equivalents break down, it doesn't look like they've got the techonology licked to produce paper and ink on a large scale.

I expect that by episode 7, we will be introduced to the vast underground industrial complex that they've been building very quickly since they first arrived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,909 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Utter tripe but hilarious to watch with a few people in the room, everything that comes out of the fathers mouth is this horrific cheesy cliche, we were pissing ourselves laughing at it.

Anyone think the commander is seriously camp? Theres a gay vibe coming off him for some reason. And why does the commander of the whole mission go out on every away team, its bizarre.

So badly written aswell. Anyone praising the CGI need their eyes checked, its Walking With Dinosaurs on the BBC, it sticks out a mile like all that cheap CGI the BBC does in Dr Who and Torchwood. Jurassic Park sh1ts all over it.

Jesus, the most recent one was the worst of the bunch, pure Star Trek Voyager at its worst as someone already said. The daughters character is the worst, they use her to explain anything mildly technical for morons while the other characters snigger at the geek with her book-knowledge, nice job knowing your target audience for a sci-fi show there writers. 'The Moon is closer to the Earth in this time period, you do the math!', 'I think we'll leave that to you sweetie! hur-hur-hur'.

I cant believe the writing, to set up a plotline they'll be walking along a path and one of them will blurt out something like 'This is the way to the science labs!' and another will go 'Oh yeah we're going there because mom asked us to blah blah'.

Worst thing Ive seen in ages, it'll have to be cancelled, nobodies going to watch anything this bad for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Munster Blogger

I'm personally really enjoying the show at the moment. It feels like they are trying to replicate some of the aspect the made Stargate a hit. Think this is going to be a love it or hate it show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

hi i thought this show only came out like a while ago, but this thread started in 2010?:confused: anyway i quite like this show,it is a bit cheesy and script and actors are questionable :p i can see how people hate it but i love all this group of survivors trying to find a way to live shows.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Thargor wrote: »
    Jesus, the most recent one was the worst of the bunch, pure Star Trek Voyager at its worst as someone already said. The daughters character is the worst, they use her to explain anything mildly technical for morons while the other characters snigger at the geek with her book-knowledge, nice job knowing your target audience for a sci-fi show there writers. 'The Moon is closer to the Earth in this time period, you do the math!', 'I think we'll leave that to you sweetie! hur-hur-hur'.

I cant believe the writing, to set up a plotline they'll be walking along a path and one of them will blurt out something like 'This is the way to the science labs!' and another will go 'Oh yeah we're going there because mom asked us to blah blah'.

Worst thing Ive seen in ages, it'll have to be cancelled, nobodies going to watch anything this bad for long.

People watched Heroes for four seasons........ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Finally got around to watching these... lol PAINFUL is a good word to describe the show.
    Especially the 4th episode. The acting was awful and actually amusing in a bad way.

I'm almost hoping that it does keep going for a 2nd season because it's a show I'm loving to hate!

People watched Heroes for four seasons........ :D
    Heroes Season 1 was one of the best new shows in ages though, then it got worse and worse, Terra Nova is horrific from the word go.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The show doesn't seem to be progressing very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,779 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

blerrgghh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Only reason I'm still watching it is cos I've nothing else to watch on a Tuesday morning. It's pretty crap and there's a lack of dinosaurs

• Advertisement

What? In the latest ep:
    She leaves a card saying Im Sorry on the bed, and the instant they see it they all declare that she wasnt lying and her brother must be in danger...
    It made no sense whatsoever. This programme is so bad, I think Im going to give up and read Wikipedia in a few weeks to see what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Didn't bother with last weeks episode as any sci-fi show dealing with a virus is always bad no matter how good the show usually is and Terra Nova is not anywhere close to being a good show.

But episode 5..............

Holy crap it was bad. The kid was a total Newt (Aliens) rip off, the cop who along with his family who have been treated well by Taylor and the rest of Terra Nova doesn't tell him the real reason the Sixers where sent back which in itself is the most retarded assassination plot Iv ever heard of, makes zero sense from the characters perspective.

Leaving out the fact it would only take a few people to be sent back to arrange an "accident" for Taylor and not a small army, how the hell does them leaving the colony help with there mission?

What was with that scene where that total fcukwit soldier comes up to the daughter and declares he wants to court her and all that? It was the most cringe-inducing piece of television Ive ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Sarn

It seems I'm one of the few who enjoy the show as mindless entertainment. I never had high expectations so my tolerance levels are fairly high. There is a lot of potential though that is being wasted. All other deficiencies aside, what I can't understand though is why they haven't poured technology through the portal and established a major foothold? Once they've done that then they can go green. Establish a staging platform at the portal a la Stargate, ship through some helicopters and other aerial tech, build some roads...

There'd better be a secret industrial complex somewhere on the planet.

Yeah they have random science outposts dotted around the place that just happen to be huge cave complexes with machinery everywhere but the portal entrance is just a clearing in the forest?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Sarn wrote: »
    It seems I'm one of the few who enjoy the show as mindless entertainment. I never had high expectations so my tolerance levels are fairly high. There is a lot of potential though that is being wasted. All other deficiencies aside, what I can't understand though is why they haven't poured technology through the portal and established a major foothold? Once they've done that then they can go green. Establish a staging platform at the portal a la Stargate, ship through some helicopters and other aerial tech, build some roads...

There'd better be a secret industrial complex somewhere on the planet.

The whole point is they don't use things like that. They want clean living. No bad fuels and such. They don't want to ruin the place again.

It's not gonna be a great show, but when I'm bored it'll do. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I dont know...I had high hopes. So far its just about mediocre for me...

Acting is a little wooden...kinda feel sorry for the Irish guy in it...he cant seem to catch a break, he was also in the US version of Life on Mars...cancelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Thargor wrote: »
    What was with that scene where that total fcukwit soldier comes up to the daughter and declares he wants to court her and all that? It was the most cringe-inducing piece of television Ive ever seen.

I thought it was the 1950s there for a minute, not the future, or whatever. He seems to be the only person in the whole thing acting like this too. It makes absolutely no sense, and really just drags the show so far below the mediocre level that it's otherwise currently at.

I can see this lasting about as long as mid season break, then getting an extended hiatus, and then returning on the Friday night slot. Then it'll be over.

jor el wrote: »
    I thought it was the 1950s there for a minute, not the future, or whatever. He seems to be the only person in the whole thing acting like this too. It makes absolutely no sense, and really just drags the show so far below the mediocre level that it's otherwise currently at.

I can see this lasting about as long as mid season break, then getting an extended hiatus, and then returning on the Friday night slot. Then it'll be over.

Agreed, I thought they were taking a new direction and renaming the series "Terra Nova and Prejudice" at that point! I mean, SERIOUSLY! What the hell?? For that stupidity alone the girl should have run into the forest hoping to be eaten by the first dinosaur she comes across in an effort to escape the overall ****wittedness evident in this colony! I can only imagine one of the writer's kids wrote that **** in for a laugh when they got their back turned and nobody spotted it all the way through to production! Feck, I was embarassed and I was just watching it. Really, the only reason I watch now is so I can come on here and comment and read all your comments and laugh myself silly. Kudos to the poster who put forward the idea that the commander is gay and has the hots for the kid's dad. I have to say, it makes the show very, very funny!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I bet you all the science stations are from the Lost island because that part of Pangea breaks away and it was the smoke monster that actually killed all the dinosaurs

Advertisement