Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terra Nova - Fox *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,779 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Not to mention that first the son is afraid his dad won't make it, and when they arrive he hates his dad.
    because he had the kid in the back pack

• Registered Users Posts: 11,779 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

its all the paused on looks they have to all give each other which is substitute for acting

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

^ based on the numerous zingers above from y'all...this show/thread has become the new Falling Skies, good times (reading) ahead! :-)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Did anyone else get that the Commanders son is making the symbols from the past? As if he has travelled further back in their timeline and is creating the symbols to piss-off/confuse the commander. It was mentioned that the symbols looked old

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Plothole...if they are in a different timestream then HOW are they communicating with the future?, surely if it's a new timestream then the tech that existed in the original timeline no longer exists, unless when the portal opens they have two-way communication for a short time.
    This.

Also if its a one way portal (assuming this on whats sent so far) how the hell does anyone on earth know whats on the other side? They could just be sending people through a portal into a giant pit of lava?(which , I suppose, is one way of dealing with overpopulation.)
    ..and even if they could talk to the people on the other side , there'd be all sorts of weird time dilation (considering commander guy said that
    I'm guessing there''ll be a bit of handwaving , and a "radio waves can make it back through the starg..I mean portal to allow communication " plot device.
    Oh pilot wasnt bad ..bit too "family" for my liking" - drop the knackerdrinking teens .Oh and the effects were rubbish ..hopefully it'll improve though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

They pretty much showed the initial probe that was sent through so two way communication is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,015 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

This.

Also if its a one way portal (assuming this on whats sent so far) how the hell does anyone on earth know whats on the other side? They could just be sending people through a portal into a giant pit of lava?(which , I suppose, is one way of dealing with overpopulation.)
    ..and even if they could talk to the people on the other side , there'd be all sorts of weird time dilation (considering commander guy said that
    I'm guessing there''ll be a bit of handwaving , and a "radio waves can make it back through the starg..I mean portal to allow communication " plot device.
    Oh pilot wasnt bad ..bit too "family" for my liking" - drop the knackerdrinking teens .Oh and the effects were rubbish ..hopefully it'll improve though

Aren't they only assuming that it was a different timeline because they couldn't find the original probe in the 22nd Century? After 85 million years, I'm not surprised they couldn't find anything, though of course I might have missed the complete explanation.

Didn't they already mention that it is separate timelines, rather than being on the same one? If I remember correctly, the nerdy sister mentioned it when they saw the probe, which is why they couldn't pick up any frequencies.

To be completely honest, I would have much rathered a new planet that just happened to have dinosaurs, rather than have to deal with this whole time traveling business, because it leads to too many possible plotholes.

Also the commander mentioned something about it taking 118 days while it took others a few seconds? I wonder what he was referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Didn't they already mention that it is separate timelines, rather than being on the same one? If I remember correctly, the nerdy sister mentioned it when they saw the probe, which is why they couldn't pick up any frequencies.

To be completely honest, I would have much rathered a new planet that just happened to have dinosaurs, rather than have to deal with this whole time traveling business, because it leads to too many possible plotholes.

Also the commander mentioned something about it taking 118 days while it took others a few seconds? I wonder what he was referring to.

Yeah i think theres something wrong with the explanation, i dont think its a seperate timeline, theres a reason they cant find the probe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I enjoyed it overall....did have an issue with the vague escape at the start.

It got a bit "Dawson's Creek" at times as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I watched it last night and feel pretty much the same as everyone else. It's not great, but oddly watchable. It's a bit too obvious at times, with regards to plot. From the moment you're introduced to the 6er's, you kind of already know they're the good guys. And I'm assuming the plucky love interest of the angst-ridden son is the spy the 6er's have on the site. It's the type of thing you'd expect to happen to force conflict between the characters (ie lazy writing).

As for the whole time thing, I'm assuming that they're not in another time stream. The dinosaurs were wiped out by a meteorite, so the settlement will be too. Which would kind of make you wonder why nobody seems to worried about that. I think the daughter explaining about the probe felt too forced for it to be anything other than a future plot device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭human repellent

Do you people watch shows but not actually listen?

For startes, it's been widely agreed upon that MANY dinosours including raptors ate / eat their prey alive, this was stated in jurassic park 20 years ago, those slashers looked like a close relative to a raptor, it would make sense they would munch away on their prey without kiling it.

As for the timeline, it's a seperate timeline, this was explained in the show, IN DETAIL when the girl explains the probe scenario. Not to mention the distinct reference to the 'butterfly effect'

She says this probe was sent tru, and we couldn't find it when we looked in our timeline, fair enough it's numerous years later but it's an explanation none the less, also as a probe was sent through I'm fairly confident two-way communication was evident.

Absolute horribly cliched show by the way, soooooo family orientated could only imagine what a show like this would be like on a network like hbo or showtime, ah if only.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Saw the pilot last night. If it wasn't for the fact that its getting very good reviews stateside, I'm not sure I'd give the series a second chance but will persevere.
    At times, I felt the acting was pretty bad and it's pretty clear that by the end of the series well be spending more time with the good guy sixers. The son will defect because lovergirl is the mole at terranova, but it turns out that the sixers were good guys all along.

But what annoyed me the most was that they spend alot of time building up little mysteries. Where is the commanders son and what happened to him? What are those mysterious equations and who could have put them there? And what do they do? Explain it all in the final 2 minutes ffs! Come on!!!

But then I realized, with the very "Lost" feel to the program, maybe they decided to show the audience that "we're not going to feed you 5 years of hints only to feck up the ending of THIS show...THIS show will be different."
    Anyways, I'll watch next weeks episode just to see where it's going.

I liked ep. 3 also, twas good family fun!...best part was poor little Zoe and that horrid raptor-type-birdie-thingy!!!...omg!, he almost got the little girl!, twas a good tense scene.
    Zero plot/arc/mythology development...some crap about a former flame tryna take the hot doctor wan, yup...i've not learned the character names yet.

I thought the CGI looked a bit better in this ep. too, listen...it's not high art, plotholes aplenty, cliche after cliche....but, it's light family entertainment....you could easily sit the kids down and drink a cold one and come out of the other end entertained.

Can't say fairer then that can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Is that not episode 3? Episodes 1 and 2 were on Sky last night. Or was that one episode split into two?

humanji wrote: »
    Is that not episode 3? Episodes 1 and 2 were on Sky last night. Or was that one episode split into two?

Ep. 3...i just called it #2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Eh, has Ep3 aired in the states yet?
    People use spoilers if describing it!!!!!

Eh, has Ep3 aired in the states yet?
    People use spoilers if describing it!!!!!

Ep. 3 did air, the little girl Zoe was killed by a Raptor in horrific style :(

Ep. 3 did air, the little girl Zoe was killed by a Raptor in horrific style :(

One can only hope, might add another demension to an extremly for want of a better word '****' show.

pew pew

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Thats what pissed me off about it (besides the **** cgi/acting), the dinosaurs were ****, where are the raptors/t rex's? Did those dinosaurs we saw even exist?

How accurate are they going with the historical knowledge we know of from fossils etc? Or are they gonna make up dinosaurs as they go??

Was ep3 an improvement from the first 2? As i was left underwhelmed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Ok I just watched ep3 there, my god... terrible follow up story. really really bad.
    NOTHING HAPPENS, couple of little birds attacking them over the whole ep, no expansion on the story or anything. giving up on this show already, wonder what the ratings will be like for the next ep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Good God, quite possibly the stupidest, most idiotic, trope filled, cliché of a tv show ever made by humans. This is imbecilic even for low-attention span fox.

Brannon Braga hang your head in shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I haven't watched episode 3 yet but just about the asteroid thing. Theres still 20 million years between when they arrive in Terra Nova (85 million years ago) and when the dino killing asteroid hit (65 million years ago). So it'll be grand plenty of time for them to build nukes and space ships and what not:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,071 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You know how sometimes you might be watching a TV show, it's a long episode, and you simply have to take a fag/tea/bathroom break? Well I think Terra Nova's first episode has gone and created a new artificial breaktime for me - the cheese break.

Too. Much. Cheese. Too much for one 45 minute sitting, I'm simply not strong enough.

I knew it would be rough early on though; as soon as I saw the teenage son, I quickly realised that awful trope of the "rebellious, surly teen boy" would be the vanguard for some godawful cliché ridden TV. Boy I hate being right sometimes. The family unit is a pit of clichés, and if you're insisting on flooding your show with teens & younger, then for gods sake make them likeable. I think it's a major mistep to make them the focus of the show. I like audience surrogates as much as the next person, but they're an insufferable bunch.

I wouldn't mind but we've already seen this lazy, sloppy characterisation only too recently in another Spielberg backed sci-fi series - Falling Skies. In fact some of the character beats are being played almost note for note. The cocky, dad-resenting teenage son? Check. A military-type getting all authoritarian on our makeshift community? Check. Lead character struggling to connect with his family? Check.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,015 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Conor108 wrote: »
    I haven't watched episode 3 yet but just about the asteroid thing. Theres still 20 million years between when they arrive in Terra Nova (85 million years ago) and when the dino killing asteroid hit (65 million years ago). So it'll be grand plenty of time for them to build nukes and space ships and what not:)

I think the series will be extinct very soon, and it won't be a meteorite putting it of its misery, but some network guy with a chequebook.
    They'll probably say that Episode 3 was a homage to Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Meh. Episode 3 was all very meh. With the cancellation of the Playboy Club and Ringer being sh*t, i've no other new dramas to be watching until January, so I may very well stick this out a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I've watched the first three episodes. Its complete fluff. This is going to be an expensive mistake.

When will people learn? You can't have your cake and eat it too. You make a tween show or you make an adults show. If you try to do both, you will fail and thats exactly whats happening.

People wouldn't watch Game of Thrones without the T&A and the visceral deaths....and the writing on Game of Thrones is excellent. Terra Nova has no sex, no violence and the writing is sub-par. It won't last.

You can't have a show with dinosaurs without people being killed by the dino's. Lots of people. It wont work otherwise as the "danger" is removed.

They are saving the hallmark dino's like raptors and T-rex for season finale's and later in the show and its a mistake. If your show gets cancelled than what the point in holding things back for an event that might not happen?

This is a missed opportunity and it's a shame they are wasting the budget.

It's pretty much a joke of a show.

Stopped watching now, won't be downloading watching 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Wasn't totally sold on the first two episodes.

There's potential in it, I think some of the storyline would have made a great story for Jurassic Park IV, but the CGI wasn't great (esp the moon bit at the end) & the guy in charge just reminds me of Scorpio from The Simpsons.

• Advertisement

iMax wrote: »
    Wasn't totally sold on the first two episodes.

There's potential in it, I think some of the storyline would have made a great story for Jurassic Park IV, but the CGI wasn't great (esp the moon bit at the end) & the guy in charge just reminds me of Scorpio from The Simpsons.

Hank Scorpio?....haha! ;)

Advertisement