Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terra Nova - Fox *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

I really enjoyed that. It's not going to set the world afire but it was a pleasant way to while away an hour and a half. Josh was annoying (though I think he's supposed to be?) and I was disappointed that the young one (Tasha?) didn't get eaten by the Slasher. Aside from that I like the Sky chick, she's the sort of no-nonsense, together individual you'd like in your corner I think, I like Jim and I like Taylor.

The mysterious son storyline is interesting enough, but I don't get this "change the past, change the future" thing. I mean, if it was the same timeline, wouldn't what wiped out the dinos the first time around wipe out the humanz too? :confused:

And so, even in the future, when we travel back to the past to save ourselves, the human race still battles each other as well as nature. We're fooked aren't we. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Not too bad but not as good as I'd hoped it'd be.

The son annoyed me and I was actually hoping he'd get killed as a way to show it really is dangerous in the past and give the parents some drama for their decision to head back in time.

I am curious as to the markings left by the commanders son on the rocks by the waterfall and hope that expand more on that quickly.

Not sure where they're going with the whole control the past to control the future thing if they're in a different timeline, unless the stuff on the rocks is a way to get from the new timeline into the past of the old timeline where they could directly threaten the existence of the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

lot of similarities with Outcasts such as the hostile new world and the steady arrivals from an Earth on the verge of collapse
    The separatists camp with an agenda and weird markings in the ground to suggest they are not alone
    Will give this a chance but so far looking better than Falling Skies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

very timid speech from colonel quaritch, no "everything beyond that fence whats to eat your eyes for juju"

it was an ok pilot, TBH i expected much more (and least 5 people being eaten), i dont recall a single death, this show is to family friendly, and full of angst, its got angst dripping out it hole, it will struggle in the ratings, enjoy it while it airs,

this break off settlement is a joke and they just happen to have taken over the ore mine also:rolleyes: come on like, they have 3 writers and looking at 2 of them theyve done noting special, one was a writer on nikita and theres one there its her first writing job according to IMDB, seriously 20 million on a pilot and you skimped on the writers, when are they gonna click on that the writing is the key to any successfull show, this is what happens when you put a movie director in charge of a tv show, falling skies was the exact same, both spielberg:mad:,

the only thing thats gonna keep me coming back is the concept and seeing if they can actually make a good show out of it,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Pretty ok so far.

I do hope the son dies in a horrific dino-related incident though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

don ramo wrote: »
    this is what happens when you put a movie director in charge of a tv show, falling skies was the exact same, both spielberg:mad:, ,

Now now its only recently hes lost the plot, Taken and Band of Brothers were pretty damn good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

VinLieger wrote: »
    Different time stream? really? that better not be the real explanation

It has to be though. If it wasn't a different time line, then the future is still fúcked, and they've completely failed to change anything. The coming story could be that someone is trying to figure out a way to cross between the two time lines, in the future, and whomever gains control of it in the past can set out whatever future they want.

If it turns out not to be a separate time line at all, then that will just suck balls.
    it was an ok pilot, TBH i expected much more (and least 5 people being eaten), i dont recall a single death, this show is to family friendly,

I think 1 guy got eaten out of the gun turret when the sixers were coming at the compound, and I'd guess the guy that was swapping out the battery in the car when he got slashed. Other than that, no one of any real importance. I find it very difficult to believe that the girl that ran off managed to stay alive, and that everyone else that got bitten and slashed still walked away from it. That's just stretching it too far.

This needed a couple of actual deaths, of people that looked like main characters, but instead we have a cross between Seventh Heaven and Home and Away - where the worst disasters result in no more than a scratch, and then a hug and it's all better.

Having said all that, I did still like it. It had dinosaurs, a mystery mad-man that's leaving little puzzles behind, plenty of scope for trouble and problems (dinosaurs, the sixers, future people that are not on their side, etc) that can make some good story lines, but it needs to get a little bit more real. As real as a show about time travel can get anyway.
    the only thing thats gonna keep me coming back is the concept and seeing if they can actually make a good show out of it,

Yes, but if it makes it to the mid-season break and looks anything like The Event or Flash Forward, then I'm quitting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

An ok first episode but nothing special. The dickhead son (does every Sci-fi show have to have one) the and know it all daughter were a pain in the ass and the sneaking out of the camp to make booze teens angle was just retarded.

The jungle full of dinosaurs should of been made out to be way more dangerous tho with more go into the jungle and you don't come back vibe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

It was good enough, puts everything and everyone in their box but gives a little bit of mystery to keep you interested. No doubt everything will be turned on its head at some point and the goodies will be the baddies and vice versa.

I must concur with some posts though, whatever happened to meat-eating animals killing their prey first, before eating it ?

No way in hell would a dinosaur just let it's prey live while munching on it's leg.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Hibberd does a good recap, 500 comments....woah!

http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/terra-nova-season-1-episode-1/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

the nerdy sisters dies in the next episode. right, right?

Not sure if anyone saw it, but there was a blooper!...Jim's son is with yer wan outside the camp, he's getting into a vehicle, if you look closely/slow it down as he's getting in his arse swipes her boobs!....they even bounce up and down, the expression on the actresses face is priceless!!

Yeah, i pay close attention to such details :-)

the nerdy sisters dies in the next episode. right, right?

If she dies and the son doesn't I give up on this.
    Honestly, why does every show HAVE to have a whiny, sobbing son ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Just watched it, didn't think much of it. Similar opinions to what has been posted here.

I will say, that visually, I found it to be quite poor. The matte background shots I thought were pretty bad, I would expect much better considering the money spent on it. The dinosaurs weren't great either. I know it's not a fair comparison, but the effects in Fringe, such as the monsters etc, look a hell of a lot better imo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I enjoyed it, like everyone also thought it was a bit too family friendly, but not all that bad. I think Falling Skies lowered my expectations for this a lot, so I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't that bad :)

Some interesting plots laid out. Although I think they've made it too obvious at this point that
    the 6ers will end up being the good guys. Emo boy will probably meet the commanders son, then go join the 6ers, then it will turn out that they're the good guys. They'll probably join up with Terra Nova again, and then there'll be an ongoing 'war' with the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I really didn't enjoy this one. I found it so overly cheesy it was ridiculous. Emo kid with Daddy issues: Check. Also, the special effects were really bad. It's definitely family oriented, but in my opinion it could do with being more edgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,007 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I was hoping that the markings on the rocks were done by some entirely different civilisation, but when it was revealed that it was the runaway son's work, my hopes were dashed and my interest level dropped like a brick.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Block (8

Not sure if anyone saw it, but there was a blooper!...Jim's son is with yer wan outside the camp, he's getting into a vehicle, if you look closely/slow it down as he's getting in his arse swipes her boobs!....they even bounce up and down, the expression on the actresses face is priceless!!

lol just saw it, you sure don't miss much!

still doesn't make up for a mediocre start, I'll carry on for another couple of episodes and see if it picks up but don't expect much.

Plothole...if they are in a different timestream then HOW are they communicating with the future?, surely if it's a new timestream then the tech that existed in the original timeline no longer exists, unless when the portal opens they have two-way communication for a short time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Haha that's brillant!

I did notice that in the scene when the daughter is feeding the dinosaur, when the shot pans out and is above the dinosaurs looking down on the family, the dinosaur on the left reaches down and grabs an invisible branch of the tree :P

Benzino wrote: »
    Haha that's brillant!

I did notice that in the scene when the daughter is feeding the dinosaur, when the shot pans out and is above the dinosaurs looking down on the family, the dinosaur on the left reaches down and grabs an invisible branch of the tree :P

That was my fave scene, it was really cute....little girl feeding the Veggiesarous, he lifts her off the ground, too cute! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Plothole...if they are in a different timestream then HOW are they communicating with the future?, surely if it's a new timestream then the tech that existed in the original timeline no longer exists, unless when the portal opens they have two-way communication for a short time.

They found a second stargate in Antarctica........oh wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I liked it. Hopefully it won't disappoint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I was hoping that the markings on the rocks were done by some entirely different civilisation, but when it was revealed that it was the runaway son's work, my hopes were dashed and my interest level dropped like a brick.:(

Aliens were my fist thought, or maybe a pre-historic civilisation, like the Ancients from Stargate. But no.... instead we get this.

There is still potential, but then so had Falling Skies. Hell, even The Walking Dead had a hell of a lot more promise after the opening episode, and that quickly went down hill.

If the poor ratings don't make them change something about this, nothing will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

stevenmu wrote: »
    I enjoyed it, like everyone also thought it was a bit too family friendly, but not all that bad. I think Falling Skies lowered my expectations for this a lot, so I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't that bad :)

Some interesting plots laid out. Although I think they've made it too obvious at this point that
    the 6ers will end up being the good guys. Emo boy will probably meet the commanders son, then go join the 6ers, then it will turn out that they're the good guys. They'll probably join up with Terra Nova again, and then there'll be an ongoing 'war' with the future.

Hasnt this been done to death on pretty much every major new drama???
    Lost,Alias, 24 bla bla bla

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Elohim

The amount of cringe worthy scenes in the opening 10 mins was ridiculous. The 'I'm not goin without Dad' at the last second and all that! The gf refused to watch past the 15 min mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

I'm trying to figure out if ye were all watching a different show to me. :confused:

It mainly went between cringe worthy 'emotional' scenes that were horribly written and poorly delivered, to even more cringe worthy CGI scenes that were plain old laughable.
    Most expensive series ever made and they can't get a few dinosaurs to look even remotely real. Jurassic Park did a way better job and that was close to 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Watched this last night too, I think everyone knows how this story will pan out.
    6ers are the good guys, commanders son will return and pretend to be with Terra Nova(TN) then do some back stabbing, moany son will join 6ers, nerdy sister will score that jock bla bla bla. Youngest daughter has some special power of some kind with the dinosaurs. What would be great to add to the story would be if they found another 'portal' that leads to another earth timeline in the future with another speices of humans coming through and the 6ers have to team up with the TN's, or there is an evolved speices of dinosaurs that have takin in the commanders son and thats how the son knows everything about everything or somethin.

Mah, IDK, $1million and ep, better get better!

• Advertisement

Elohim wrote: »
    The amount of cringe worthy scenes in the opening 10 mins was ridiculous. The 'I'm not goin without Dad' at the last second and all that! The gf refused to watch past the 15 min mark.

Not to mention that first the son is afraid his dad won't make it, and when they arrive he hates his dad.

Advertisement