Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

raymann wrote: »
    one of the impacts of roe vs wade was a huge drop in crime 20 years later. basically women themselves are in the best position to say if they should be bringing up kids. roe vs wade itself was about a drink and drug addicted mother. the evidence suggests that you end up with more kids being born into circumstances that favour them becoming dysfunctional.

as uncomfortable as this is it is backed up by real world statistics from all of the different states in the us (some legalised abortion at different times, the fall in crime 15-20 years later always corresponds with this) and other countries like romania.

i presume you've read freakonomics? there's a lot of pretty valid rebuttals of the Roe V Wade chapter in the economic blogosphere (a surprisingly interesting bit of the internet).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

Really, really interesting 'ask me anything' thread about a guy who attempted suicide by jumping off the Brooklyn Bridge and lived.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/34/other-other-topics/ask-me-anything-about-jumping-off-bridge-462466/

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

EDit wrote: »
    Congrats. If you havent already, check out CTYI (http://www4.dcu.ie/ctyi/index.shtml) for your daughter. My eldest son goes and, although not cheap, it provides an advanced level of learning that his regular school just cannot provide....good selection of courses as well, so should be something that piques her interest.

Cheers yes we have her enrolled already, the school recommended this to us so she starts in a few weeks.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Anyone watch Love/Hate? I know I'm very late to the game but I'm seriously impressed, by far the best thing RTE have ever done. This program has completely messed up my sleeping patterns, I can't help but watch 'just one more'. If you have not seen it deffo give it a go.

Not sure what to watch when I'm finished this. Any recommendations?

Oh and this made me laugh today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zIom3LSbB0I

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Zascar wrote: »
    Anyone watch Love/Hate? I know I'm very late to the game but I'm seriously impressed, by far the best thing RTE have ever done. This program has completely messed up my sleeping patterns, I can't help but watch 'just one more'. If you have not seen it deffo give it a go.

I watched the first Season and thought it was really good, although I found it hard to buy into the Johnboy character, and Darren was too much of a pretty boy for the part he was playing. I missed the second season but I was p1ssed off hearing about it constantly so I got it on DVD and got back into before the third season started. Actually watched it in one sitting! :)

Annoyingly, the ending of Season 3 was pretty much ruined for me by Facebook. Clowns telling the end. :rolleyes: I should've known better than to go onto Facebook before I'd seen the last episode though. I had just moved house so no tv so I had to wait for the RTE player. Brilliant series, and the best thing RTE have done in years. My old local features heavily in it too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Haven't seen any Love/Hate yet but everyone who's watched it says it was great. I'll have to get the boxsets when I have a minute.

Sons of Anarchy is worth a watch if you haven't seen it yet.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yeah I totally agree I did not think that Jon Boy was cast well. I don't even know the guy but apparently he's a big hitter, in the Wire etc. His weird american twinge on his accent comes out occasionally. The thing between Darren and Rosie was very odd, their love scenes actually creeped me out. Still, mad plot twists - impressive writing - and some great characters. Jon Boys brother Hughie was brilliant in a love to hate him sort of way. The death near the end of series two was mad, and they did it in an understated manner too. I'm only on the beginning on series 3 now but will have it finished within a day or two I'm sure.

The most mad thing for me is that apparently most of the actors are actually quite posh yet they play the scumbag roles so well!

Yeah I totally agree I did not think that Jon Boy was cast well. I don't even know the guy but apparently he's a big hitter, in the Wire etc. His weird american twinge on his accent comes out occasionally.
    He's a good actor and has been in some decent things, just not suited to this I thought.

The thing between Darren and Rosie was very odd, their love scenes actually creeped me out.
    I think that part was very Hollywood in that it was the "pretty couple romantic interest" storyline.

I'm only on the beginning on series 3 now but will have it finished within a day or two I'm sure.
    Think I'll go back and watch the whole 3 series again. I've forgotten a lot of the older story lines at this stage.

The most mad thing for me is that apparently most of the actors are actually quite posh yet they play the scumbag roles so well!
    The accent thing was a pet hate of mine. Apart from Nidge's bird (who has a thick Monaghan? accent, which was extremely well hidden. I thought she was a Dub) and Darren, I didn't really buy any of the main characters' accents, especially Nidge and Fran.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

BaZmO* wrote: »
    The accent thing was a pet hate of mine. Apart from Nidge's bird (who has a thick Monaghan? accent, which was extremely well hidden. I thought she was a Dub) and Darren, I didn't really buy any of the main characters' accents, especially Nidge and Fran.

I had the same problem with Pure Mule and the accents which nobody outside of the midlands seemed to have a problem with.

That's when I realised that everyone else thought people from the midlands sounded like travellers when they speak.

I had the same problem with Pure Mule and the accents which nobody outside of the midlands seemed to have a problem with.

That's when I realised that everyone else thought people from the midlands sounded like travellers when they speak.

Ha. That's the thing though, you only notice when it's your own they're imitating, unless it's Tom Cruise in Far and Away, then everybody notices!

• Advertisement

Ha. That's the thing though, you only notice when it's your own they're imitating, unless it's Tom Cruise in Far and Away, then everybody notices!

I watched Cloud Atlas last week and one of the parts that Tom Hanks plays in it is a Dublin writer. Absolutely dreadful stuff for a man that's won two oscars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

I've only watched a minute or so of Love/Hate at a time. Have flicked past, maybe it's bad luck or something, but all I see is Fair City with criminals. Acting has been shocking. And yea - bad accents.

Must have just caught bad bits, everyone raving about it. But the more hype it gets and the more people bang on, the less likely I am to watch it.

joker77 wrote: »
    But the more hype it gets and the more people bang on, the less likely I am to watch it.
    Bleedin' hipster!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭raymann

whats cloud atlas like?

raymann wrote: »
    whats cloud atlas like?

Not too bad. Very long and a bit creaky in places but I enjoyed it. I wouldn't be proclaiming it a classic or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

Your man who plays John Boy is in Game of Thrones and the Wire. He's great in both of them. Love / Hate is a decent watch for RTE, just don't be expecting HBO standard drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Maysa07

I only watched a few episodes in season 3 of Love/Hate and tought it was brilliant. If you want a laugh you should watch TV3's version of love/Hate called Deception, it's woeful.

Was going though recorded Sky+ stuff over the weekend and finally got around to watching Idris Elba's How Clubbing Changed the World. It was ok, kinda jumped all over the place and didn't really show anything new.

Due to it being broadcast some time last year it was funny to see Britain's most notorious kiddy fiddler in it. Can't see him featuring in too many DJ related documentaries in the future, even if he invent the two records DJing style.

Was going though recorded Sky+ stuff over the weekend and finally got around to watching Idris Elba's How Clubbing Changed the World. It was ok, kinda jumped all over the place and didn't really show anything new.

Due to it being broadcast some time last year it was funny to see Britain's most notorious kiddy fiddler in it. Can't see him featuring in too many DJ related documentaries in the future, even if he invent the two records DJing style.

People forget how good a DJ he really was. Forever playing about with all those little knobs while the records were spinning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Maysa07

What Robbie Williams song does this remind you off :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Isn't that the track from that mockumentary?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

imma be honest here. this place has died. needs a good argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

jtsuited wrote: »
    imma be honest here. this place has died. needs a good argument.

I disagree.

Hardstyle is the best type of music evah. All the rest of the musics are for gays

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Yeah very quiet these days. It really could do with a good argument, there used to be quite a few back in the day... :pac:

And when I was a feckin mod, I had to wrestle with the fact that there were rules and sht... quite a few epic threads involving threats of legal and what-not then, why can't there be threads like that now where I can just join in or at the worst sit back and watch?!

All the good arguments have been done to death. We're all just a bunch of sneery bores that agree with each other now.

All the good arguments have been done to death. We're all just a bunch of sneery bores that agree with each other now.

I disag.....nah, you're right.

Anyone here know anything about sat navs?

Looking to buy one or two cheap units for use on hols in Florida this year. Cheap Garmins and TomToms on Adverts.ie for 40 quid or so. Is there any reason that one of these couldn't be used in the states once the right maps are installed? The cheap ones aren't region locked or anything are they?

Feature-wise, all I need is to be able to enter an address and have it direct me there.

Opinions of Ricky Gervais' latest project, Derek?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be a Gervais fan at all but I watched an episode of Derek last week. It was as poor as I'd feared it would be and just confirmed my suspicion that the TV bosses will let Ricky do whatever the fook he feels like and show it in a prime time slot.

Advertisement