Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

On yer bike Kunst

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

A family friend has asked me to record an old 78rpm on to a CD for them. Anybody any experience doing this?

I assume it could be played on (and recorded from) a regular deck and then just pitched up in the aul 'puter?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭francois

You'll need to modify the pitch control for a start, plus standard needles may not play old records, especially if they are shellac

francois wrote: »
    You'll need to modify the pitch control for a start,
    Would it not just be a case of playing/recording it at 33/45rpm and then speeding it up accordingly?
    ..plus standard needles may not play old records, especially if they are shellac
    I was thinking that that might be a problem alright. But I do remember having an old record player at home that played 33/45/78rpm but just used the same needle for each. Is shellac the only thing that would cause a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Would it not just be a case of playing/recording it at 33/45rpm and then speeding it up accordingly?
    I thought you could do this as well - just play it at 45 and record, then pitch up the wav afterwards?

• Advertisement

joker77 wrote: »
    I thought you could do this as well - just play it at 45 and record, then pitch up the wav afterwards?
    Well I've been roped in to do it so I'll just have to give it a bash and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ciarakitten

Anyone know a place in Dublin that plays good "deep house music?"

Ive been looking to find a good spot for ages

You'll need to modify the pitch control for a start, plus standard needles may not play old records, especially if they are shellac

Turns out it is shellac. Will playing it with standard needles damage it?

Shellac is a lot harder then vinyl so if there is a defect or dirt it could damage your needle, also the grooves are a lot bigger-do a search for a 78 rpm stylus, you should be able to pick one up-my father has some shellac records and he picked one up on ebay for about 40

Shellac is a lot harder then vinyl so if there is a defect or dirt it could damage your needle, also the grooves are a lot bigger-do a search for a 78 rpm stylus, you should be able to pick one up-my father has some shellac records and he picked one up on ebay for about 40

Ah f@ck that! I was only supposed to be doing it as a favour for somebody. I'm not shelling out €40 for a needle just to record one record. I might try and use an old needle and see will that work. Wouldn't be too worried about damaging that needle, I'd be more concerned with damaging the record.

Is there any places that you could bring it for them to do it?

• Advertisement

I don't know of any off hand

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭raymann

Lads, what was the name of the free operating system that we talking about on here a while back?

I bought a small Dell a few years for the OH which she never used because it was very slow. It's an Inspiron 1010 Atom Z520 1.33Ghz, 5.33Mhz, 1G Ram

It came installed with Windows 7 starter, but I've since found out that that's the reason why it's so slow.

Just looking for a simple OS system that I could put on it so it could be used for fast enough browsing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Lads, what was the name of the free operating system that we talking about on here a while back?

I bought a small Dell a few years for the OH which she never used because it was very slow. It's an Inspiron 1010 Atom Z520 1.33Ghz, 5.33Mhz, 1G Ram

It came installed with Windows 7 starter, but I've since found out that that's the reason why it's so slow.

Just looking for a simple OS system that I could put on it so it could be used for fast enough browsing?

You could try some of the linux ones - if it's just for browsing and the like, they're handy enough and work fast enough. We had one loaded on the missus' old netbook and it was very fast. If anything goes wrong though it can be a bit tricky but a bit of a trawl through the forums usually sorts it out. Meego was the one we were using but that has morphed into Tizen to handle HTML 5 so it might be worth checking out.
    https://www.tizen.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭bedrock#1

You could try some of the linux ones - if it's just for browsing and the like, they're handy enough and work fast enough. We had one loaded on the missus' old netbook and it was very fast. If anything goes wrong though it can be a bit tricky but a bit of a trawl through the forums usually sorts it out. Meego was the one we were using but that has morphed into Tizen to handle HTML 5 so it might be worth checking out.

Try Ubuntu, I've been using it since my brother convinced me to switch (he's a programmer) and I haven't looked back. You can set it up so it will dual boot with Windows, you have the option of which OS you want to boot when you turn on the computer. This is pretty essential if you run stuff like Reason or Serato as they aren't compatible with Linux/GNU.

If you fancy trying it out download Virtual Box and install Ubuntu or any other open source OS you want to. It allows you to set up a virtual machine within your existing OS. Pretty sweet.

https://www.virtualbox.org/

Cheers. I think it might be Ubuntu that we were talking about previously. Will have to look into it further this evening when I get home. I've never installed an OS from scratch so I'll need to do a bit of reading up on it first I suppose.

Ubuntu sounds a bit scary - 'oh it's linux - that's for nerds, you have to be a techie to use it'. But it's not at all - just download, click click click - very fast + easy to understand installation. Give it a whirl, if you don't like it try something else.

I've a creaking old Dell inspiron, Ubuntu was a bit slow on it (uses a fair amount of graphics processing). Switched back to Windows XP for speed.

Ubuntu sounds a bit scary - 'oh it's linux - that's for nerds, you have to be a techie to use it'. But it's not at all - just download, click click click - very fast + easy to understand installation. Give it a whirl, if you don't like it try something else.

I've a creaking old Dell inspiron, Ubuntu was a bit slow on it (uses a fair amount of graphics processing). Switched back to Windows XP for speed.

So should I delete Windows first or do I install Ubuntu as is, and then select that when the computer boots up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Burn Ubuntu onto a disk and if you want rid of Windows then just pop the disk in and follow the instructions.

Wasn't a fan of Ubuntu myself. Preferred Linux Mint.

Synode wrote: »
    Burn Ubuntu onto a disk and if you want rid of Windows then just pop the disk in and follow the instructions.

Wasn't a fan of Ubuntu myself. Preferred Linux Mint.

Linux Mint seems to be getting the thumbs up from a lot of people in terms of performance and stability

• Advertisement

So should I delete Windows first or do I install Ubuntu as is, and then select that when the computer boots up?
    As Synode says - just download, burn onto CD, stick it in and boot from the CD

Heard Linux mint was a bit lighter alright - but afaik you won't be able to run it on your machine - it's too old

As Synode says - just download, burn onto CD, stick it in and boot from the CD

Heard Linux mint was a bit lighter alright - but afaik you won't be able to run it on your machine - it's too old

Plus, there's no CD-Rom on the computer, I'll have to do it from the USB

Plus, there's no CD-Rom on the computer, I'll have to do it from the USB

Is it a netbook, Baz? If it is then I'd go with something like the Tizen option which if it's anything like Meego will boot up nice and fast and be zippy enough. All you have to do is make your USB drive a bootable disk - the instructions for that will probably be on the tizen site or they'll be easy enough to google.

Is it a netbook, Baz? If it is then I'd go with something like the Tizen option which if it's anything like Meego will boot up nice and fast and be zippy enough. All you have to do is make your USB drive a bootable disk - the instructions for that will probably be on the tizen site or they'll be easy enough to google.

It's a Inspiron Mini 10

478174_120112073930_dell_inspiron_mini_10_1.jpg

It's been sitting in the spare room gathering dust and the resale value of it must be almost zero at this stage so I was thinking a new operating system might give it a boost.

Any of ye watching Game of Thrones, eh, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Maysa07

Any of ye watching Game of Thrones, eh, eh?

Yes, im hooked.. I am also watching the Vikings seen as the kid who plays Ragnar Lothbrok son lives beside me. But still nowhere as good as Game of Thrones.

Did you read any of the books?

Maysa07 wrote: »
    Yes, im hooked.. I am also watching the Vikings seen as the kid who plays Ragnar Lothbrok son lives beside me. But still nowhere as good as Game of Thrones.

Did you read any of the books?

I just finished reading book 2 and I'm going to take a little break seeing as I read the first two back to back so I need a bit of non GoT reading just for a breather. The first book was extremely close to the first season but there was enough variation between the second series and book to keep you interested. After last night's episode I'm looking forward to getting stuck into the third book after I finish A Confederacy of Dunces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

listening to hernan cattaneo - renaissance 17... beautiful music for a beautiful day......

time to go home and drink beers.

• Advertisement

copeyhagen wrote: »
    listening to hernan cattaneo - renaissance 17... beautiful music for a beautiful day......

time to go home and drink beers.

His Masters Series 13 is brilliant.

Advertisement