Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options
  • 05-05-2010 3:32pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So the "Off Topic Thread" did not really go anywhere, pity cause I think we have some good banter going in a lot of the existing threads which is good craic. I was thinking maybe we can have a place for random sh1t in one thread and see where it goes. Does not have to be off topic at all it can totally be music realted. It might be an idea to 'copy' certain topics that sprout in other threads over here and just get a bit of banter going and see what happens.

I'll start off with this:

I saw a bit of Richie Hawtin's new Marking Kontakt DVD the other day, really need to see more of it but it seemed interesting, a little wanky though...

Also this is another video Hawtin linkde to on his twitter that got ripped apart on emi

Ok lads your turn, post something random/interesting and get involved, could be good!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

that 2nd Hawtin video is stomach churningly wanky!

here's a bit of random for yis. It's an online autism test. Highest score wins.....

http://www.channel4embarrassingillnesses.com/features/take-the-autism-test/

and how's about some racist computers.........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Hmm...I got a 6. That means I'm abnormally not autistic. Should I feel good about that or not?

Well, I would have said that abnormality is never a good thing. But then I scored 26 so who am I to talk......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

Finally, a thread that doesn't involve midi controllers, headphones or deadmau5 :D

Jokes aside, I saw the kontakt video and wasn't impressed at all. Hawtin natters on about how great and innovative his setup is/was and then goes on about the trials and tribulations of dj's travelling from gig to gig. There is also some discussion on the logistics of carting huge LCD's and other equipment around the world too.

Bottom line is that the whole concept of the "kontakt" tour is completely over-kill and is contrary to their "minimalistic" philosophy. Especially the hordes of equipment used.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭burkey85

ianuss wrote: »
    that 2nd Hawtin video is stomach churningly wanky!

here's a bit of randomfor yis. It's an online autism test. Highest score wins.....

http://www.channel4embarrassingillnesses.com/features/take-the-autism-test/

20, is that good or bad lol?

• Advertisement

burkey85 wrote: »
    20, is that good or bad lol?

You're toast bro. If I was you I'd start padding the walls around the house and get some rubber cutlery

Had an idea for a thread, thought I'd run it by here first. Basically a thread to tell people about nights you're DJing at. Not like the clubbing forum, but just BJs (Boards DJs) letting people know where they're playing so people can come along? DJs generally want to get people in the door, and people on here generally want to hear eachother play, or find good nights. I realise it's a tad iffy modwise so I thought I'd check before doing it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Sounds like a good idea go for it - but please, please, do not call us "BJ's"
    :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I need a bj......haha!

Nah sounds like a crackin idea grimey, I've a few gigs coming up I'd love to throw in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

ianuss wrote: »
    You're toast bro. If I was you I'd start padding the walls around the house and get some rubber cutlery
    Got 26 here, think I'll crawl back into my cardboard box for the day and continue counting all the hairs on my body.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Actually I did a course in work the other day and we did some proper personality tests called Enneagram's - they are pretty accurate. There are 9 different

Quick Test: http://similarminds.com/test.html - takes less than 5 mins
    Check your answers and see which number you have the highest % in - this is your number. Also not which ones are 2nd and 3rd as these are your 'tendencies'/
    Now read detailed description about your results here: http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/descript.asp

Post your answer here. I'm a 3.

8. Some people would say that about me yea, others not so much

I'm a 9 - I'd say that's fairly accurate too

This is really cool, especially the soundwave at 1:04 :cool:

Hahahah that's cool Acman!

I know there are a lot of Apple fanboys here so these are defintiely worth checking out.

iPad in a car - Part 1

iPad in a Kitchen:

Actually makes me want one now.

Oh yeah and this for the producers among us - iPad as a DJ/production tool:
    http://www.djtechtools.com/2010/05/05/producer-tools-ipad_ielectribe/

Well done to the Hypertic lads who's Remix Of MRI's Track ''Rejam'' Goes Into Resopal Schallware's Beatport Top 10!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Im a 15... I think it's because I can remember phone numbers and don't like generic chit chat.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

9 - pretty accurate me thinks....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Zascar wrote: »
    Hahahah that's cool Acman!

I know there are a lot of Apple fanboys here so these are defintiely worth checking out.

iPad in a car - Part 1

iPad in a Kitchen:

Actually makes me want one now.

Oh yeah and this for the producers among us - iPad as a DJ/production tool:
    http://www.djtechtools.com/2010/05/05/producer-tools-ipad_ielectribe/

i was working in a phone company exec's house a few weeks back(oh work how i miss thee :()

she worked for telstra and they were bringing out a home phone that was basically an ipad.it synced up to little speaker sataions around the house but you could also carry the tablet around whilst making calls,internet,music,radio ya da ya da ya da.

they were gonna retail it at half the cost of the ipad.

for someone who just uses the internet to check emails and **** it would be ideal.

but then again home phones are dieing too

I was just wondering something.... All of us here share a big passion - Electronic Music - but apart from that, what other things are people into?

For me I have a big interest in tech/web stuff - I like to play with a bit of web design and I'm fascinated by web 2.0 and social media stuff (aka internet addict). I love Photography and would like to learn more and get better. Motorbikes would be my latest addiction - amazing fun.

Oh and of course lets not forget long walks on the beach and cuddling :pac:

So what's your other Poison?

• Advertisement

I was just wondering something.... All of us here share a big passion - Electronic Music - but apart from that, what other things are people into?

For me I have a big interest in tech/web stuff - I like to play with a bit of web design and I'm fascinated by web 2.0 and social media stuff (aka internet addict). I love Photography and would like to learn more and get better. Motorbikes would be my latest addiction - amazing fun.

So what's your other Poison?

If we're just talking about completely trivial interests, then film and beer. Over the last year I've gotten big into beer, there's a great off-license at the top of my road, with hundreds of different craft beers, and I've slowly been working my way through them. People think I'm mad, but I'm happy to turn up at a party with a few bottles of beer for €5 a pop.

I've been into film for a good while, I'd generally watch maybe 3/4 good films a week. It's hyperlink cinema that does it for me - bascially all of Alejandro Iñárritu's films.

ha ha ha - Who doesn't with the right person eh?
    If we're just talking about completely trivial interests, then film and beer. Over the last year I've gotten big into beer, there's a great off-license at the top of my road, with hundreds of different craft beers, and I've slowly been working my way through them. People think I'm mad, but I'm happy to turn up at a party with a few bottles of beer for €5 a pop.

I've been into film for a good while, I'd generally watch maybe 3/4 good films a week. It's hyperlink cinema that does it for me - bascially all of Alejandro Iñárritu's films.
    Ah film and beer - 2 of the great joys of modern living. My sister moved to Germany when I was 19, so I'm over there at least once a year the last 10 years and have been completely ruined - I can't drink draught beer in this country any more. Guinness yea, beer - not a chance.
    She lives in Aachen, they do a great local Malz beer, lovely stuff. Big fan of the German stuff, being able to get Warsteiner for a euro a bottle in the local offy the last few years was great, then everyone copped onto it and the price shot up. Franziskaner is the daddy of the Hefeweizen for me, lovely stuff.

My main poison at the moment is cycling. Bought my first 'proper' road bike last October, after having a hybrid for commuting in and out of work the last 5/6 years, and have been completely sucked into it. Used to play a lot of football (training twice a week, match on Saturdays), but had to pack it in because of the age and the injuries, cycling is definitely filling the gap.

Apart from that I've an interest in technology, I'm a software developer by trade so it kind of goes with the profession. After many many years coding though I'm kind of sick of it...

In terms of sports I've fallen out of love a bit with football, find it pretty boring to watch a lot of the time now. Looking back over my life though I've always had that kind of relationship with it - into it for a few years, not into it for a few more. I follow boxing as well, watch most of the big fights and know most of the names at the top of the rankings in the different weight classes on the world scene.

+1 on the movies and beer. I do like to try new german/asian beers from time to time but I'm not quite on the €5 a bottle train as yet - fair play grimey! I'm a big movie fan too. Maybe as an aside we should throw in some movie recommendations here, I'm running out of things to watch!

Joker have you ever considered going out on your own and developing iPhone/iPad/Adnroid apps? I've zero programming experience but if I could go back 10 years I really wish I had of done a web/multimedia/programming course in college. I really love all the web mashups going on and the iPhone iPad thing is getting so so big. I sell high end enterprise class software, so so boring. Spent an hour and a half on a webconf/demo of a document/imaging solution for the account payable process. Zzzzzzz.....

As a side note, here's a nice comparison of Traktor and Serato. Obviously more to do with vinyl emulation, but that's where the competition lies, Traktor is the clear winner for MIDI.

@Joker, I'm pretty big into cycling too. Rode a lovely Raleigh Airlite 300 for a good while, but sold it a few months ago to get one of the new fixed-gear Langster Steels. Found a proper racing bike a bit unncessary for just cycling in and out of town, so went fixed, and for that kind of cycling I wouldn't look back. Saving up for a new racer for long cycles though, could be a while, this damn DJ/production stuff has me with a long wishlist on Thomann!

25261_10150114847345554_545910553_11374337_6624941_n.jpg

As for film reccommendations, I'm pretty bad at that, I've a terrible memory. I'll try a few though.

Comedy: Princess Bride, Withnail & I, Dr. Stranglelove, I Love You, Man (one of the few mainstram films I really like)

Drama: Babel, City of God, Amores Perros, There Will Be Bloog, The Lives of Others, Goodbye Lenin

Art/****ed up: A Clockwork Orange, Innocence, Spirited Away, Hunger, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly.

That should do for a while.

@Jimi again, if you like Weissbier, try Chimay White. Nicest I've ever had, it's expensive, but it's about 8% so it works out as the same drunk for your money. Wiehenstephaner is also great, partially because it's part of the 'official state brewing technology centre' of Munich. Seriously.

As a side note, here's a nice comparison of Traktor and Serato. Obviously more to do with vinyl emulation, but that's where the competition lies, Traktor is the clear winner for MIDI.

Haha, good find Grimey.

Good aul DJ QBert, what a legend! Him along with Mixmaster Mike were a significant contributing factor to me buying my first set of 1210's in the late 90's!

However, it is a little funny to see these guys never grow up...they still walk, talk and dress like they came straight out of the 80's :D

+1 on the movies and beer. I do like to try new german/asian beers from time to time but I'm not quite on the €5 a bottle train as yet - fair play grimey! I'm a big movie fan too. Maybe as an aside we should throw in some movie recommendations here, I'm running out of things to watch!

Joker have you ever considered going out on your own and developing iPhone/iPad/Adnroid apps? I've zero programming experience but if I could go back 10 years I really wish I had of done a web/multimedia/programming course in college. I really love all the web mashups going on and the iPhone iPad thing is getting so so big. I sell high end enterprise class software, so so boring. Spent an hour and a half on a webconf/demo of a document/imaging solution for the account payable process. Zzzzzzz.....
    Movie recommendations (recent stuff I've seen that would recommend):
    Un Prophet, Mary and Max, A Film With Me In It, Moon

I've thought about it the whole iDevelopment (is that a phrase? If not, I'm coining it!), but it would be a big shift from what I'm used to - and I don't know if I have the appetite to learn any more. I developed a couple of systems for Dentists on my own, one is front of house appointments/accounts - it's in use about 5 years in a couple of surgeries and works fine. The other is a charting app for the surgery, started it well over a year ago, got halfway through to discover I'd have to rewrite the whole thing based on bad requirements I'd gotten - a 'bum steer' by the guy's own admission. It's tough putting that much energy/time into something and to have to throw it in the bin. It's sitting on the back burner at the moment, he's not pushing for it and I've lost interest - I need a kick up the hole to pick it back up again.
    I'm more a .NET guy, so if anything I'd be looking at the Silverlight development framework kind of thing going onto the Windows 7 phone - that looks powerful and from reading up it seems it will be a much nicer development platform that developing for iPhone (link)

I know what you mean about boring work - I'm moving out of development into more project management stuff the last year or so. Just finishing off a 10,000 word business requirements document for our new project... soul destroying.

@Joker, I'm pretty big into cycling too. Rode a lovely Raleigh Airlite 300 for a good while, but sold it a few months ago to get one of the new fixed-gear Langster Steels. Found a proper racing bike a bit unncessary for just cycling in and out of town, so went fixed, and for that kind of cycling I wouldn't look back. Saving up for a new racer for long cycles though, could be a while, this damn DJ/production stuff has me with a long wishlist on Thomann!

As for film reccommendations, I'm pretty bad at that, I've a terrible memory. I'll try a few though.

Comedy: Princess Bride, Withnail & I, Dr. Stranglelove, I Love You, Man (one of the few mainstram films I really like)

Drama: Babel, City of God, Amores Perros, There Will Be Bloog, The Lives of Others, Goodbye Lenin

Art/****ed up: A Clockwork Orange, Innocence, Spirited Away, Hunger, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly.

That should do for a while.

@Jimi again, if you like Weissbier, try Chimay White. Nicest I've ever had, it's expensive, but it's about 8% so it works out as the same drunk for your money. Wiehenstephaner is also great, partially because it's part of the 'official state brewing technology centre' of Munich. Seriously.
    Very nice bike you have there - how do you find the fixed? Have heard once you get one that's it, no looking back! Have toyed with the idea of switching the hybrid for a fixie - but I'm out in Leixlip once a week for work, it's a 48km round trip - so the legs are probably not quite ready yet to do that on a fixed. It would be only once a week so would be do-able, maybe next year I'll go fixed for commuting!

Here's my road bike (I know - a bit common the last while, but I'm loving it)

Have highlighted some films on that list that I'd agree are excellent.

Ok this is definitely the coolest dog ever. He can scratch/beatbox with his growl!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

What's with the huge draw towards fixed speed bicycles? Ive only a mountain bike, which ive had for 6 or 7 years so I know nothing about the fixed ones? They dont look to practical given that you cant change gear going up a hill or anything.

Advertisement