Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The road to a 1:2X Half Mara.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

shels4ever wrote: »
    Still think I would have made that in 15 mins :). Option B of the bus stop outside the pub worked out a lot better but resulted in a snack box.:eek:

Sounds like you made the right call:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Sounds like you made the right call:D

Yep I'll tell that to my scales on wed when I have to visit it again :).

Monday 15th October
    6 slow miles, Hamstrings felt very tight on this run, maybe due to running with a bag the night before. Lucky I didn't run home from the boozer

Tuesday 16th October
    5 miles in corkagh park , ground has improved underfoot today maybe because Krusty won't be wrecking the place anymore. Found this run a little hard wasn't feeling great but it was a case of HTFU today.

5 miles @8:15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Monday 15th October
    6 slow miles, Hamstrings felt very tight on this run, maybe due to running with a bag the night before. Lucky I didn't run home from the pub

Oh yeah I'd say it was definitely the bag. No way did the pints or snack box have an impact :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

5 miles in corkagh park , ground has improved underfoot today maybe because Krusy won't be wrecking the place anymore.
    Yeah, damn that Krusy and his funky mustache. Always wrecking the grass in Corkagh. Get your own field you funny-looking German!

• Advertisement

Yeah, damn that Krusy and his funky mustache. Always wrecking the grass in Corkagh. Get your own field you funny-looking German!

it's krusy big willi style ;)

TRR wrote: »
    Oh yeah I'd say it was definitely the bag. No way did the pints or snack box have an impact :)
    Yep I think the snack boxes and beer will need to be reduced over the coming months. Might have to go on the tomato juice and celery in future.

Wed 17th October
    Planned rest day today but had a bit of a horrible morning in work do decided to do a couple of easy mile at lunch time. Only did about 25 mins but was nice to clear the head.
    Have started doing some core work yet again, will try to stick to it this time.

Thursday 18th October
    5 great miles today in the park, looked like summer outside so made sure to get this run done during lunch. A bit of a strange some very wet and muddy sections and tired a little over the mid section but recovered well and felt like adding on a mile or two(first time I've felt like this in ages). Starting to work a little harder on these runs and they are becoming more enjoyable.
    Not to sure of pace today as the garmin was dead.

Nice weeks running so far, been getting out each day for some easy runs and some not so easy runs. Diet has been very good with no snack box or beer for a while.
    Going to keep this going for a couple of months before setting a plan. Core work is killing me at the moment but will keep it going if possible.
    Will prob run the parkrun in malahide in a couple of weeks.
    Will just update the log once a week until i'm actually training for something.

• Advertisement

Only 35 miles for the week but missed a day or two over the weekend. Legs are feeling good at the moment. Really enjoyed watching the Marathon on Monday but was very glad I wasn't on the start line. I had ore-registered for Berlin next year but wont be running that now. Think I need to make the 26.2 mile run around Dublin next year my main aim.

30'ish miles for the week, was sick for a day or two so took a couple of days off. Have picked a race to run in a couple of months so will start training properly in 2 weeks time.

Not a great week last week , a bit to much work on so still only about 30 miles. Ran parkrun over the weekend as a training run. Training plan starts on Monday with a few half marathons the target in mid or late March great thing is there are a good few around that time, so 14-18 weeks training should be loads. Will use parkrun as tempos from now on starting with 8 min mile and take a couple of second off each week.

Monday 19th November
    40 mins easy enough. Long day in work so was jsut glad to get out the door for a while. I don't like wind...

Tuesday 20th November
    30 mins easy at lunch time and finished up the evening with the last in a 6 week yoga course.

Wed 21st November

35 mins on grass, pace was a little quicker than planned as had company for this run. Plan for the next few weeks is not to have any running faster than 8m/mile and nothing slower than 9 min mile. Between now and Christmas is just about getting a base in and will decide on a race early next year but looks like a half marathon in March/April.

The rest of this week will just be easy running will use parkrun on Sat as part of a tempo run but just at 8 min mile pace. (not that i can go much faster right now).

Thursday 22nd November
    Nice run in Corkagh this afternoon, apart from a few people deciding they wanted to talk to me, while I was getting stripped in the car. Also a strange Radiation Monitoring van in the car park which isnt normal, maybe some gamma rays will do some good for my running.
    Under foot condition were terrible but really enjoyed this run. Kept the pace just a bit faster than easy and worked a little over the last few miles. Got 6 miled done in the end.

Thursday 22nd November
    Nice run in Corkagh this afternoon, apart from a few people deciding they wanted to talk to me, while I was getting stripped in the car. Also a strange Radiation Monitoring van in the car park which isnt normal, maybe some gamma rays will do some good for my running.
    Under foot condition were terrible but really enjoyed this run. Kept the pace just a bit faster than easy and worked a little over the last few miles. Got 6 miled done in the end.

Your toxic mickey and the presence of a radiation van are obviously linked!

TRR wrote: »
    Your toxic mickey and the presence of a radiation van are obviously linked!

Heard them mention a couple of your toe nails were found, lads ran for the full hazmat suits. I've a great mickey !

sat 24th November .
    Took Friday off as a rest day and planned to use parkrun as a tempo session. But had a call from lads from work who were one short for a bhaa team. So decided to run the 6k xc.
    Took it really handy for the first lap started right at the back of the field. Didn't run with a garmin and kept the pace controlled. Picked off a lot if people over the last two Laps without working to hard.
    Happy with the effort and sticking to the ore race plan. No idea if time and didn't even check the clock on finishing but a really enjoyable run.

6 miles aprox for the day.

Sunday 25th Novermber
    Nice stretching session and work on the Achilles have been doing this very regular for the last few week and seems to be paying off. Legs felt really good today but kept the pace nice and controlled. Need to build my long run up over but not in a major rush.

1 hour in the pissing rain..

Monday 26th November
    40 mins easy this morning, feet are a bit messed up at the moment from the weekends XC but that's what I get for not wearing socks. Followed up with some core work and stretching.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 27th November
    45 mins harder run today,Was just planning on running just at an uncomfortable pace, worked fairly hard for most of this run without going ott.. Pace got a little quick in the mid section but happy enough. It has to be worth a bit more slogging around in mud this time of the year.
    Followed up with some stretching.

Wed 28th November
    Really nice 50 mins run in Corkagh this morning, the mud had made way to frozen mud meaning underfoot condition were alot better. Kept the pace nice and relaxed but working a harder on these runs now, its nice to suffer a little on runs again.

Thursday 29th November:mad::mad::mad:
    3 mile jog along the canal plan was to get a bit of a tempo done as I may not be able to make parkrun tomorrow. but this was cut short because of a stupid dog , took a noise dive when a poxy mutt decided it was a good idea to trip me with a poxy extendable lead. The owner said sorry but should really have been watching what was going on. A ban on earphones for walkers is in order too.....

If the dog had of been a bit smaller I would have gone on trr on his ass and fuc**d him in the canal. But dont think my upper body could fling a labrador 10m. Right knee isn't great but could have been worse will test it out later today.

Sat 1st December
    Today yesterday off as the knee wasn't great. Today did a nice 40 mins on grass had company for this one. Pace was nice worked a little over the last mile but lots more in the tank. First run in a while that I though about putting the foot down a bit but held back.

Sunday 2nd December
    Nice 65 min run in corkagh felt like doing a little more but kept to plan.

Monday 3rd
    35 mins easy on road.

Tuesday 4th December
    50 mins easy, didn't feel great on this run, felt like I was coming down with something.

Wed 5th December
    No run
    Thursday 6th December

No run
    Friday 7th December
    No run.

Haven't been well the last few days so took it very easy, Will try to get a couple or miles in tomorrow but not going to risk anything.

Not a great couple of weeks training missed almost a week with illness but back in action the last week. Just ticking over until the end of the year and will start building up again.

Have a few races planned in March April and May and fingers crossed the calf injuries are in the past. Will try to get a half marathon done in March and then a few 5ks and 2 mile races. Really need to sort out my 5k and 2 mile pb's so that's going to be the main focus for 2013.

At this point I could write loads about easy miles bla bla run but the tru fact is that I'm doing feck all 6 runs of junk miles last week nothing further than 5 miles but just getting out the door these days is a bonus.
    Haven't enjoyed a run in months but if I miss a days running i'm not a happy camper. I'm sure I've some type of running problem at the moment but guess its better then going on the beer or coke....

Usually I would lose the running mojo for a short time but this has gone on to long so needed to kick start some sort of recovery.

So decided to hit the track this morning to either find some love for running or get injured or give up totally. 2 mile jog warm up on grass followed by a 1 mile , died a major death today lungs in bits felt dizzy, 1 mile jog recovery. After that run I'm not going to give up and not injured....

Tuesday 5th Feb
    4 miles handy along the canal, was late getting out cold cold cold.

Wed 6th Feb
    4 miles on grass, managed to get out in the morning so nice to see some daylight again.

Thursday 7th Feb
    Long day in work only managed to get our for a couple of slow miles along the canal,.

Decided to run a half marathon in a few weeks time as means of punishment for been fat and lazy, aim is just to get around the course without to much pain but the current level of fitness this will be a take in itself. If I can get up to 10 miles before the day i'll be very happy.

Well that half didn't go well, or more to the point didn't go at all. Over the past few weeks I've complete the 5k to Couch program. Basically getting rid of any fitness I had and putting on enough weight that might allow me to enter a light weigh sumo competition.

Had a fitness test the other day that left me almost sick, so its all just about building a habit now and getting out the door for a few miles each day. The dreaded calf was playing up a little but what can you expect when you don't train well.

The last 10 days have been fairly good getting out the door most days for a few miles at a very slow pace. Have done up a very simple plan now which involved not been a lazy baxterd. So will start logging again and see what happens....

This week has been
    Monday 30 40 mins in the cold and rain
    Tuesday 30 mins easy
    Wed 30 mins easy

• Advertisement

you've made more comebacks than George Foreman and at this rate you'll overtake thirstywork2 in the comeback stakes :D

You need to get some fitness back and then get your arse down to a club. You were in a great grove when you were heading out with Lucan. You should head back there or get down to Tallaght, there is a great group down there that would suit you also. They will be training for Dublin and you could fit into their program. As for that calf, start stretching it now before the volume builds up

Advertisement