Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The road to a 1:2X Half Mara.....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Great run Shels. Some pain in the jacksie that cramp ruins all the prep. Still... a PB is a PB. You give a great account of London marathon as an event. From someone who has never had much interest in doing it, I'm beginning to think I'd like to do it with the atmosphere you describe.
    Well done again

If you get a chance run the race, But it was something i've wanted to do since about '93 so maybe just enjoyed it more. Still shouldnt have been doing the ymca at 12 miles that was just wrong..:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

shels4ever wrote: »
    Honestly think it might have been becaue of a few things, was holding back a little on down hill sections over the first few miles, but not sure thats a factor, could have been short 1-2 long runs from a few sick weeks early in the plan, or maybe just a little bit more running on the road is needed. Maybe a bit of all 3. I know it wasn't down to hydration or over training i've actually taken a lot from this race from TRR lessons on carb loading. I'm geting closer to actually running very well just need a little more time...

I've said it before and I'll say it again, nobody carbo loads as well as me. Now if I could just get the running thing perfected I'd be laughing :D

Last few days have gone well, down to the pool yesterday and this morning again to get the legs moving a bit almost. Body is almost totally recovered apart for my right quad and itb seems a bit tight. Have a massage booked for this afternoon but should get that sorted in the next few days. Not going to run at all this week no matter how good I feel and will start back with something easy next week. Have been roped into a 5k on the 12th @4am :eek: with work but just going to jog around . Think the main target from now will be a half marathon later in the summer. Need to stop reading people logs or i'd end up jumping into a race far to soon.

Have been roped into a 5k on the 12th @4am :eek: with work but just going to jog around .

What? :confused:

What? :confused:

Yep some bright idea to have a 4am run in the park, its not a race just a fun run so a 30 min 5k after coppers would be ok ...

http://dil.pieta.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Yep some bright idea to have a 4am run in the park, its not a race just a fun run so a 30 min 5k after coppers would be ok ...

http://dil.pieta.ie/

More a symbolic event than a race. Coming out of the dark into the light. I'll be helping out myself.

Congrats on London. I was delighted for you.
    What's the plan for the summer?
    You going to tackle some track?

Woddle wrote: »
    More a symbolic event than a race. Coming out of the dark into the light. I'll be helping out myself.

Congrats on London. I was delighted for you.
    What's the plan for the summer?
    You going to tackle some track?

Nope not going to be on the track this summer basically going to keep going with what i'm doing now, back to easy miles next week, a little more consistency and injury free running for a few months and then decide on a race or 2. Think if I go back to track now i'd end up injured and i'd rather run slow 6 days a week than get one good race and be injured for months. Will have a chat with theRoadrunner and see what he thinks but maybe a 10k or 10 mile in 2 months time might be an option. Then thinking maybe running Dublin or a cross country season but thats all a long way off.

Sports massage and Dry needling today. Very strange sensation from the needles quad was hopping like mad. First time having this so wasn't sure what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I love how you turned the whole day into a positive experience - good stuff :)

Took it very handy the last few day, have a little bit of a cold so only did a short swim this morning. Actually today was the first day that I woke and wanted to stick the runners on, but will hold off until Monday. Leg has improved a huge amount and almost back to normal.

The plan for now is Dunshaughlin 10k and then the National Half in September. Not going to be running the Dublin Marathon this year will have to do this one of these years but that race will be around for a while so no hurry there.

Not setting any crazy targets for the summer will play everything by ear and see how it goes,

• Advertisement

Monday 30th April
    4 miles very easy today. Had given myself a week of beer and alcohol - didnt drink as much or eat as much as first planned but was nice to get out for a few miles today. Legs felt sluggish but good to be back.

Wed 2dn April
    4 miles though a waterlogged corkagh park today. Pace was all over the place but kept slowing it down. Legs are feeling very good now which is a bit annoying. Had a couple of beers last night but from today back on track with diet...

Thursday 3rd April.
    After Enda Kenny messing up my planned lunch time run managed to get out of the office for a nice 40 mins in Corkagh today. Felt really good today increased the pace a little to uncomfortable conversation level for the first time in a while.

Friday 4th May
    Rest day.

Sat 5th May
    5 miles in corkagh today with theroadrunner. Pace was on the faster side again today and legs felt very good. No idea exactly of pace as i'm not going to wear the garmin for the next few week apart from long runs.
    Going to jump into a race or two over the next few weeks to see what sort of shape i'm in. Just going to have a bit of fun. I might even do a little bit of speed work and run the Trinity track and see what the old legs can manage.

Sunday 6th May
    6 miles handy today, Nothing much to report on this run no idea of pace or exact distance but felt good. Will put a bit more structure on training from next week.

Just got a text to say your mans g-string is sorted ;)

Just got a text to say your mans g-string is sorted ;)

Jesus I must have been drunker than I though the other night ....:eek:

Tuesday 8th May
    5 miles easy with 3X400m to test the legs out. Will run a 2 mile race tomorrow and have a feeling this is going to hurt. Can't wait.

Wed 9th May
    Decided to jump into the clonliff 2 mile tonight to see how the legs were. Didnt really know how the legs were going to handle the faster stuff as its been a long time since i've done anything fast.
    Nice little warm up and off we went. The first mile is very fast with a long down hill section, Didnt go off to hard for the fist 400m but then started to move through the feild, spotted a small group about 20m down the road and bridge the gap to them and tucked in for the best part of the first mile.
    Just before the mile mark the group started to slow slightly so hit the front and pulled away. Was joined by 3 other runners and had a game of cat and mouse for the next few 100m, ever time I went to the front I was passed again by one of the lads.

With about half a mile to go I pushed hard to get a gap, we were all passing lots of people at this stage and I managed to get about 5m on the group. At this stage I was fecked legs felt great but breathing was all over the place, With about 200m the group came passed me again and everyone was going for it, but managed to dig out some sort of finish to hold them all of and catch one or two people over the last 100m. Crossed the line almost bag on 13:00 mins, so not sure what the official time will be.

Really enjoyed this run, hurt alot over the last mile, I've run a good bit faster over the distance but don't think i've raced this well ever. Not passed by a single person during the race and won the dog fight with the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Skidrow

Well done Shels, no after affects from London then.

• Advertisement

Skidrow wrote: »
    Well done Shels, no after affects from London then.

Thanks, body is feeling good a few weeks with a bit of speed and I'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Excellent run there Shels. Lets hope the body holds up for the summer racing season.

Excellent run there Shels. Lets hope the body holds up for the summer racing season.

Thanks, had to check what I ran for 2 miles in 2009 last night and finished the summer with a 12:48 and a 20:35 5k in the mid summer, All going well I think I could go a good bit quicker this summer. (touch wood)
    the 12, 2 miles races in Ranehy over the summer for €50 isn't bad vaulue and think its going to be my summer plan if I can get to 7/8 of them and just do some as tempo runs.

Thanks, had to check what I ran for 2 miles in 2009 last night and finished the summer with a 12:48 and a 20:35 5k in the mid summer, All going well I think I could go a good bit quicker this summer. (touch wood)
    the 12, 2 miles races in Ranehy over the summer for €50 isn't bad vaulue and think its going to be my summer plan if I can get to 7/8 of them and just do some as tempo runs.

Pretty decent value there alright. Something similar over here on Monday nights and they're my loose summer plan for now, race myself into shape. Hopefully you can close the gap on your bro, tell him he's due a beating :D

Dyou still plan on doing Dunshaughlin 10k?

Pretty decent value there alright. Something similar over here on Monday nights and they're my loose summer plan for now, race myself into shape. Hopefully you can close the gap on your bro, tell him he's due a beating :D

Dyou still plan on doing Dunshaughlin 10k?
    Yep I'll run that for sure, why looking to place bets ;).
    Brother ran 10:50 last night so I've got a bit to make up at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Delighted for you shels. Did you check out the Mcmillan calculator, it gives you a tempting mark for sportsworld if you're interested :D

Yep I'll run that for sure, why looking to place bets ;).
    Brother ran 10:50 last night so I've got a bit to make up at the moment.

I've a crazy amount of bets on already, no worries there :D

10:50, nice. Thats fairly decent, might take me a few months to get near there.

Woddle wrote: »
    Delighted for you shels. Did you check out the Mcmillan calculator, it gives you a tempting mark for sportsworld if you're interested :D
    Nope I hadn't until you posted that :). Not going to be going after time just yet 2 races in a week and I would end up getitng injured for sure. My whole training plan is about been consistant now and staying injury free so will only be racing when 100%.The plan will be to run a 5k on Sat week and see how that goes. This week I need to get my long runs going again .

I've a crazy amount of bets on already, no worries there :D

10:50, nice. Thats fairly decent, might take me a few months to get near there.

Yep he wasnt too happy with the run, though a 10:40/45 would have been a better return. Will see how he goes this weekend, i'd say he'll run about 29:00 again.

• Advertisement

Just been getting 5/6 mile runs in each day this week. Then got out for a nice 9 miles today. Legs feeling good but need to get back on my propper diet and cut out the beers and junk that's been introduce post London.
    Will have another easy week this week and race next sat then set a propper training plan for the summer.

Advertisement