Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The road to a 1:2X Half Mara.....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Have been up the walls with work and a few other things but have managed to get a run in most days.
    Last week 45 mile with a terrible log run (why am I running marathons?) Weight down by .5kg but i'll take that as there was a few dinners out lots of beer last week.
    This week i'll try to get my long run done on Thursday and then spend the following 7 days on a beach, plan is to get out of this crap weather. If i get 5 miles in each day i'll be happy and a long run the following week.

Once I get back from holidays training will really start...honest

Back from Sunny Spain now and a warm weather training drinking very little running to talk of but that was part of the plan. Got out for a couple of 3-4 mile runs. Really needed the break.

Friday 10th
    4 miles slog -

Sat 11th
    5 miles easy

Sunday 12th
    6 miles potter on sand, love this run but was 3 miles down wind then 3 miles up wind. Working a bit harder then I would have liked.

Have been treating this marathon with a total lack of respect partly because I haven’t been too pushed on running it partly because I became a big disheartened with the whole running lark. Told the roadrunner I had give up a few weeks back when the calf gave problems again, but like a junkie I’m back. Needed to give myself a good kick in the ass today just to see how unfit I am at the moment. Have been doing a good bit of easy miles but nothing longer than 10 miles in a long time.
    So today was a 5 mile pace run, just to see how bad it would be, The good story is that i was feeling better the longer the run went until about 4.5 mile when it became a slog. I was a bit happier with this run than expected and felt good with the faster pace again. So enough of this just getting around crap and running for charity I need to up my game as there is money at stake. After next weekend as I'm away again there will be no more beer, burgers, Nachos, popcorn and beer for 11 weeks.

Then one all mighty session.

5 miles

Tuesday 14th August
    6.7 miles easy in corkagh tonight. Legs felt a bit still today so took it handy. Met up with a friend for the last few miles. Needed to watch the pace on this section as he runs alot quicker but the increased pace felt better on the legs. Tried to talk me into doing a furhter 18 mins of running but just walked back to the car.

6.7 miles @ 9:05

Wed 15th August
    Just 4 miles handy to keep the legs ticking over, may need to try and get my long run in on Friday this week and then play the rest of the weekend by ear.
    Was a horrible summers evening for running, not sure if I was more annoyed by the wind, rain or the fact its getting dark again :eek:

• Advertisement

Thursday 16th August
    6 miles handy with a few strides.

Friday 17th August
    12 miles slow

Sat/Sunday
    Drink filled weekend with only a little swimming.

Monday 20th August
    5 mile detox run down the canal , was very late getting out and the body wasn't feeling good.

Tuesday 21stRest day

Wed 22nd

8 miles @ 9:15 pace

Thursday 23rd

AM
    3 miles easy jog

PM
    5 miles with 3 mile tempo. Ran with a friend from work who decided he wanted to drop me at the start of the run. Let him go for a while but he found the last mile very hard.

Friday 24th August
    6 miles easy in Corkagh was getting a bit late when I got out so was running out of light. Stomach was at me a bit during the day but put that down to a change in diet this week. Suffered over the last 3 miles of this run and was in and out of the woods a few times :eek:

Sat 25th August
    5 miles easy in Corkagh again this evening, pace a bit all over the place legs wanted to run a bit faster than my head. Finished with 4x100m aprox uphill strides . Will be going old school on my new club in the next few weeks.

Sunday 26th August
    13 mile fitness test resulting in a big fat fail.. Managed to plod my way through this run but never really felt good at all. Most was run on the road so I'd get an idea where I am. The truth does hurt not in good shape at all but you do get what you deserve in this sport. Legs are in bits today. This week is turning out to be a bit of a mess running wise from Friday i'm not sure i'll get any running done, but fingers crossed i'll get out for a couple of miles.

13 miles @ 9:15

Monday 27th August
    5.5 miles Aprox around the business park. Pace was prob about the 8:30 mark. Thought about adding on a mile or two but though better of it.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 29th August
    6 miles easy with 4X400m just to start to shock the legs a bit. Wasn't wearing a watch and just focused on form. Most enjoyable run in a couple of week but the next few days I may not get out so will have to enjoy them when I can.

Havent update in a while but just been ticking over, was away for a few weekend and enjoying the good life while getting in some training. Ran some tiny fun run a couple of week back that was about 5k, was fairly hung over and just managed a 22 min run.
    Looking back this wasnt a good idea, achilies and calf hasnt been right since, So have started to swim again this week. Looking to see if the calf/achilies transplant is available some where.

This week it just been easy running as usuall and next up with be teachers XC. i may as well get injured running races that I like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

shels4ever wrote: »
    Havent update in a while but just been ticking over, was away for a few weekend and enjoying the good life while getting in some training. Ran some tiny fun run a couple of week back that was about 5k, was fairly hung over and just managed a 22 min run.
    Looking back this wasnt a good idea, achilies and calf hasnt been right since, So have started to swim again this week. Looking to see if the calf/achilies transplant is available some where.

This week it just been easy running as usuall and next up with be teachers XC. i may as well get injured running races that I like.

You should see if they give you a two for one deal and ask for a brain transplant as well ;)

TRR wrote: »
    You should see if they give you a two for one deal and ask for a brain transplant as well ;)

Have tried that already it didn't take!!!

Thursday 20th September
    6 miles easy in corkagh.

Friday 21st September
    5 mile run before work today, legs a little tender but a lot better today. Has a nasty looking scab on my achilles the past while but it has finally gone.

Sat 22nd Sept
    5 miles handy along the canal in the evening.

Sunday 23nd September
    8 slow miles around the phoenix park early start for this one found it hard to get out the door.

Monday 24th Sept
    5 slow cold miles along the canal, was far to under dressed for this run. Time to get all the winter gear out. :(

Tuesday 25th Sept
    5.5 miles Fartlek today, first session of any type in a while so took this handy enough. Reps were between 400m -1200m aprox and basically just ran from point to point. Ran the recovery sections a bit to fast early in the run and suffered late on. But this went a bit better than I had expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭foleyalan

Monday 24th Sept
    5 slow cold miles along the canal, was far to under dressed for this run. Time to get all the winter gear out. :(

Tuesday 25th Sept
    5.5 miles Fartlek today, first session of any type in a while so took this handy enough. Reps were between 400m -1200m aprox and basically just ran from point to point. Ran the recovery sections a bit to fast early in the run and suffered late on. But this went a bit better than I had expected.

You running tallaght 5 mile on the 7th Oct?

foleyalan wrote: »
    You running tallaght 5 mile on the 7th Oct?

Not fit enough to race at the moment, will do the teachers XC the following week but only as a tempo run, hope to race in about 8 weeks time. Will look for a 5m or 10k around then.

Wed 26th Sept
    5 miles very handy today, was hoping to get 6 or 7 done but was running a bit late. Legs a little and conditions were fairly crap under foot.

• Advertisement

Thursday 27th September.
    6 miles easy in Corkagh at lunch today with 4 X400m just to stretch the legs out. Found the 400's easy and didn't push them at all just wanted to get an idea of how the legs are. Will build up on the session over the coming weeks.

Friday 28 th Sept
    5.5 miles easy , legs feel alot better on this run, pace was just over 9 min mile.

Sat 29th Sept
    4.5 miles @ about 8:10 pace. Felt good enough on this run working a little hard over the last half mile but need more of these runs.

Sunday 30th September
    8 miles at 8.55 legs a little tire and was working a little over the last 2 miles. Starting to feel a bit of love for running again over thus week. Will keep ticking over and see how the teachers xc goes in two weeks time.

Monday 1st October
    6 miles easy, wet and cold on this run but nothing much to report.
    6 miles @ 8:55

Tuesday 2nd October
    Long day in the office and ended up not getting to run :(.

Wed 3rd October
    5 miles @ 8:05 felt very good for the first half of the run but needed to work a little over the last 2 miles. Legs felt great but breathing was a bit all over the place.

Sat 6th October
    5 miles @ 8:15 along the canal planned to get out on the grass but was nearly 10pm when I got out in the end.

Sunday 7th October
    8 miles on the beach, forgot the watch for this run but approx 9:15 pace.

Monday 8th October
    Felt a little tired today because of a late night and a couple of beers so took this one easy. 5 miles @ 8:55.

Tuesday 9th October
    Rest day with some core work.

Wed 10th October

4 miles @ 7:55 felt fairly good today, slight stiff hip resulting from a long day in the office on Tuesday. Need to try and work less.

Thursday 11th October
    5.5 miles at lunch time, was due to meet up with krusty for a few miles but didn't manage to meet up. So did a couple of mile on my own before spotting a couple of lads from work. Was just about to pack in the run as I wasn't feeling great so was nice to get dragged along for the last part.

5.5 miles @8:30

Friday 12th October

5 miles easy in corkagh again, ran a little to hard in the mid section to catch a group of lads from work. Made the last two miles a bit harder than they should have been.
    5 miles @ 8:09

Sat 13 th October
    6/6.5 miles on a mix of road and grass. Didn't wear the watch today as this was a pure easy run.

Sunday 14th October
    7 mile run to the pub. Wasn't able to get out during the day and was having a few beers last night, So was able to sneak a few miles in and grab a shower in the office before a few quality beers. Never like running with a bad on my back but it was better than not running at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Sunday 14th October
    7 mile run to the pub. Wasn't able to get out during the day and was having a few beers last night, So was able to sneak a few miles in and grab a shower in the office before a few quality beers. Never like running with a bad on my back but it was better than not running at all.

Highlight of the night was after 5 pints shels making the mental declaration that he was literally going to run 2 miles to catch a bus. The bus stop was actually 4 miles away so that put a stop to that.

• Advertisement

TRR wrote: »
    Highlight of the night was after 5 pints shels making the mental declaration that he was literally going to run 2 miles to catch a bus. The bus stop was actually 4 miles away so that put a stop to that.
    Still think I would have made that in 15 mins :). Option B of the bus stop outside the pub worked out a lot better but resulted in a snack box.:eek:

Advertisement