Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The road to a 1:2X Half Mara.....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

shels4ever wrote: »
    Monday 6th May
    40 mins in the sun along the canal. Kept the pace nice and relaxed legs feeling a lot better today.

Tuesday 7th May
    Got my ass in gear today and dragged myself down to Tallaght to join the club. Did a nice 45 mins around Tymon park with one of the women's groups. Nice to run with a group again. Seems weekend long runs are at 8am on Sundays.

You dirty dog. I knew women clad in Lycra would entice you down. Go to those weekend runs. Will keep you out of the pub and off the party packs ye divil ye :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

TRR wrote: »
    You dirty dog. I knew women clad in Lycra would entice you down. Go to those weekend runs. Will keep you out of the pub and off the party packs ye divil ye :)

You can't beat a nice bit of lycra :pac:. Yep that's the plan to start getting the weekend long runs done in few weeks. On a stag this Saturday so will be getting a nice fill of beer ....

You can't beat a nice bit of lycra :pac:. Yep that's the plan to start getting the weekend long runs done in few weeks. On a stag this Saturday so will be getting a nice fill of beer ....

Might hit Js for a couple of scoopos Sunday night if you're still alive!

Might hit Js for a couple of scoopos Sunday night if you're still alive!
    Will keep you out of the pub and off the party packs ye divil ye :)

:eek:
    Your a pesky devil.... I blame you for my drink problems.

:eek:
    Your a pesky devil.... I blame you for my drink problems.

that was a test ................ and I see you didn't say no!

• Advertisement

that was a test ................ and I see you didn't say no!

No ;).. phew..

Wed 8th May
    AM some good stretching and core work. legs are feeling goof but I've a core of jelly at the moment that won't help with the injury prevention. Will try to do this 3 days a week but I'm terrible at sticking to core work. Have dropped 3kg over the last 3 weeks which is a move in the right direction.

Just a 35 mins easy run on grass this evening, pace was nice and slow just about keeping the legs moving will be back down to Tallaght for a few miles tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭foleyalan

Parkrun saturday morning so, before all them pints!

foleyalan wrote: »
    Parkrun saturday morning so, before all them pints!

Yep thinking about doing that, will know later today if I can make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭foleyalan

Yep thinking about doing that, will know later today if I can make it.

Ill try and keep up with you!!!

• Advertisement

foleyalan wrote: »
    Ill try and keep up with you!!!

Good look to you, you will have your work cut out! I'm in very good shape at the moment and will have no problem out drinking you.

Thursday
    40 mins nice and easy nothing to report on this one.

Friday
    40 mins with a few strides legs a little tired but all in all not bad.

Sat
    55 mins in the park, very early start for this one as I wasn't going to get another chance to get out.

Sunday ]
    Undid all my good work for the week by getting mental drunk on Saturday. Spend all day Sunday on the sofa. Good beer mile training and if its an ultra beer drinking event were doing I'm well set. Will have to force myself out the door later today as this feels like it will be a 3 day hangover.... :(

Monday 13th May
    3 miles easy, really suffered today body feels like I've been hit by a bus.

Tuesday 14th May
    Just over 6 miles today, went back down to the club and ran with the same group. There were a few new faces there tonight. Suffered a bit on todays run but was nice to feel a bit normal again. There was talk of the group training for a half marathon which would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Tuesday 14th May
    Just over 6 miles today, went back down to the club and ran with the same group. There were a few new faces there tonight. Suffered a bit on todays run but was nice to feel a bit normal again. There was talk of the group training for a half marathon which would be great.

Were you down in Tallaght this evening?
    Didn't see you.....we have a nice little group doing tempo on tuesday; training for the national half. Good mixture of abilities...

menoscemo wrote: »
    Were you down in Tallaght this evening?
    Didn't see you.....we have a nice little group doing tempo on tuesday; training for the national half. Good mixture of abilities...
    Yep was down tonight, I was out on the roads with the girls groups , I'm long way form doing tempos but national half was mentioned so that will help with getting the miles up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Yep was down tonight, I was out on the roads with the girls groups , I'm long way form doing tempos but national half was mentioned so that will help with getting the miles up.

There is a fair mixture in our group. Everywhere from 36 - 50 minute 10k runners, so the tempo pace varies. We generally do a 2 mile warm up all together then 3 or 4 mile tempo (depends on group some of the slower runners take the shorter course) then wait for everyone to finish and jog 2 mile back. Nice little session, you might consider it in a few weeks?

menoscemo wrote: »
    There is a fair mixture in our group. Everywhere from 36 - 50 minute 10k runners, so the tempo pace varies. We generally do a 2 mile warm up all together then 3 or 4 mile tempo (depends on group some of the slower runners take the shorter course) then wait for everyone to finish and jog 2 mile back. Nice little session, you might consider it in a few weeks?
    Yep will see how it goes but will prob spend the next 6 weeks or so with this group and see after that. Lots of options down there which is a very good thing.

Lots of options down there which is a very good thing.

You talking about training partners or love partners ye divil ye? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

Yep will see how it goes but will prob spend the next 6 weeks or so with this group and see after that.

Always welcome to join my group and you'd be somewhere in the middle :D

You talking about training partners or love partners ye divil ye? :D
    It's all about the running... well.....
    Always welcome to join my group and you'd be somewhere in the middle :D
    fecker them 12 year olds are a bit quick for me... i'll leave the kids to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

It's all about the running... well.....

fecker them 12 year olds are a bit quick for me... i'll leave the kids to you.

:D made a show of myself last year when one of them challenged me to 100m. Never again

Wed 15th May
    35 mins easy today legs were very tired from yesterday not sure what pace I was running at but it took it out of me. Weather was mental started out in the warm sun and finished in freezing rain :eek:
    Followed up with some core work and stretching.

Thursday 16th May
    Was going to pop down to the club again but tonight they were doing a hill session. Legs felt very stiff and tired so took today as rest day.

Friday 17th May
    Just over 40 mins in corkagh park tonight had legs feel a good bit better today. Had company on today run which was nice. Need to start building the runs up a little over the next few weeks.

Saturday 18th May
    Up early for this one, plan was to run Marley park run as part of a longer run. Arrive early and got a nice 20 mins easy running done, but legs and calf felt very tired. Started at the back of the park run which was a bit of a mistake and spent the first mile weaving in and out of people, and running a to fast. I was a little annoyed with this so left the course and did another 20 mins on grass nice and easy.
    Sunday 19th May
    70 mins slow run with no watch pace was very slow and just wanted to get 70 mins in the legs today. Still felt a little tired but better than yesterday.

Monday 20th May
    40 mins easy today in corkagh, legs seem to want to run a lot faster than the body is capable at the moment. Needed to stop a few times to break the run up as I would have paid for it tomorrow.

Tuesday 22nd May
    Wasn't going to be able to make it down to the club last night due to a dinner at the same time. So was luck to have company on this run. A very nice 40 mins faster run in Corkagh park. Garmin died after about .5 a mile but wasn't to worried. Felt very good for most of the run only suffered the last uphill section which I usually forget is there. Pace was a little faster than I have been running but a very enjoyable run. Both weight and pace are on a downward trend at the moment so fingers crossed for a nice long uninjured year.

Wed 22rd May

40 mins easy very slog in corkagh park.
    Thursday 23th May
    Rest day =.- some core work and stretching

Friday 24th May
    50 mins in corkagh had company on today run again which is great. Two injured runners moaning for a few miles. Pace got a bit quicker as the run went on but felt great today. Could have gone on for a few more miles but need to be smart.

Sat 25th May
    30 mins very easy busy day and was very late getting iut for this run.

Sunday 26th May
    Early start for this run and was feeling a littl tired but a nice 70 mins in corkagh park. Pace was a little slower that I would like but not to worried about that right now. A few decient runners out and about today wonder have tallagh brough someone back from the UK to run a 5k later today?

Monday 27th May
    35 mins very easy on grassprob could have done a bit more but had set the plan for the week last night expecting to be a bit tired.

Tuesday 28th May
    Long day in work so wasnt able to get down to the club. Have a wedding at the end of the week so will be away for a few days. Was feeling tired when I got home from work at was looking at a couple of beers that were in the fridge. (Could have said it wasbeer mile training).
    Finally got out the door for a very nice run. Did 50 mins with 2X15 mins steady running. Felt really good once I got going and had to hold back for the second 15 mins.

• Advertisement

Wed 29th May
    45 mins very easy on grass.

Thursday 30th May
    Rest days as I was away at a wedding.

Friday 31st May
    40 mins in the gym to get the beer out of the system.

Sat 1st June
    Rest day/Lazy/hangover

Sunday 2nd June
    40 mins easy in corkagh again , starting to recover from the last few days abuse. Popped out to the pub again today but stuck to miwadi.

Monday 3rd June
    Nice 55 min run in the evening, If this weather keeps up I'd be tempted to run a lot further. Kept the pace nice and slow but picked up slightly as the run went on.

Happy enough with this week as had planned to enjoy the time away and not worry about food/drink or running for a few days but now need to get the diet and training back on track.

Advertisement