Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The road to a 1:2X Half Mara.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭foleyalan

Pretty decent value there alright. Something similar over here on Monday nights and they're my loose summer plan for now, race myself into shape. Hopefully you can close the gap on your bro, tell him he's due a beating :D

Dyou still plan on doing Dunshaughlin 10k?
    shels4ever wrote: »
    Yep I'll run that for sure, why looking to place bets ;).
    Brother ran 10:50 last night so I've got a bit to make up at the moment.

[/QUOTE]:50, nice. Thats fairly decent, might take me a few months to get near there.[/QUOTE]

Yep he wasnt too happy with the run, though a 10:40/45 would have been a better return. Will see how he goes this weekend, i'd say he'll run about 29:00 again.

Jaysus no wondering my ears where burning!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Jaysus no wondering my ears where burning!!!!!!
    Yep Brian is looking for a race this summer , Think a nice 2 mile in raheny would be a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭foleyalan

Ok he's on!.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Yep Brian is looking for a race this summer, Think a nice 2 mile in Battersea Park would be a good one.

FYP ;)

FYP ;)
    Has St. Annes been renamed?

• Advertisement

Monday 14th May
    5 miles easy - just a very handy run around corkagh.

Tuesday 15th May
    Decided to pop down to Tallagh and join up and get a bit of a session done. Did a nice warmup then 6X600m with 60 second recovery. But my good old friend calf didn't like this and looks like I could be on the sideline again for a couple of days, back on ice compression tonight. As calf problems go this is only a little problem but don't think i'll be racing this weekend now. Annoying thing is my legs don't like the short fast stuff but my head doesnt like the long slow stuff :confused:

6.2 miles for the day
    1. 2:27
    2. 2:24
    3. 2:23
    4. 2:17
    5. 2:19
    6. 2:20

Wed 16th May
    Rest day today, Made sure not to put the gear into the car today. Calf is actually feeling a lot better today, a little stiff but no major damage done, just a warning that i'm not ready to run 6min mile pace just yet.
    All going well will run on Sat but not going to race, just going to jog around the course as part of a longer run. Next race should be the Raheny midsummer race.

Thursday
    Rest day - Just did some core and jumpped on the exercise bike for a few miles.
    Friday
    5 miles slow and easy - I'm taking my own advise this week about not racing when less than 100%. Will do an easy run tomorrow and take in a 5k race, but going to start at the back of the feild and just run at recovery pace for the distance. Was hoping to use this race as a guide for the Mid summer 5k but better off been fit in 21st June than injured.
    Diet is back on track and will start jumping on the scales again this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Ah sorry to hear you arent able to race Shels. I admire your sensibility though. Enjoy the atmosphere tmrw at least!

Ah sorry to hear you arent able to race Shels. I admire your sensibility though. Enjoy the atmosphere tmrw at least!

Thanks, it was jsut going to be a race to see how fit i am, So i'm not to worried. Could have done with a bit of sensibility on tuesday but live and learn. :)

• Advertisement

Sat 19th May
    Got a nice 2.5/3 mile warmup done and registered early for the race. Decided early in the week that I wasn't going to race this one but might as well run as i'd registered.
    Started right at the back of the feild and took a while to get going, wasn't worried about pace and wasnt watching the watch. Went through the first mile slower than I though was over 8 min mile pace. Started to move though the feild a bit over the next two miles and dropped the pace to mile for the last mile or so felt a little better when running faster.
    Finished in about 23:30 so 7:30 pace a nice tempo workout.
    The calf was 100% today which is good maybe i'm starting to get a bit smarter. Really enjoy this course and will be back again next year in better shape.
    Finished with a 2.5 mile warm down so a nice 8 + miles for the day.

Just been ticking over the past few days, 6 miles sunday rest day monday aborted session again on tuesday. Could just feel the onset of the calf again. Was doing 400's and felt really easy but the body jsut cant take it. Think its time to go back to the easy running and just easy runs each day. The calf just cant take anything below 6:30/45 pace. Think i'll prob stop logging as it does get a bit tired writing about easy runs each day. Will update if I manage to get some sort of sessions done but apart from that its just easy easy runs from now. I'm not to far away from injuring myself and thats not an option now, if i can run 6 days a week and not race i'd take that now.
    Will go into ninja rehab mode now and may start a new log in a few months all going well.

over and out for now.....

Have taken the last few week to work on the calf and things are getting better. I've given up on doing any races or speed work ever now, as any sort of increase in speed and i'm injured. Been working on some core work and just getting out each day for a run or two which is the most enjoyable part.

Will start to increase the training as I’ve been asked would I raise some money for charity. I really only run for myself so I guess it’s about time I gave a bit back. So it’s back to doing the distance I hate most..

No plan for times, I'm just going to be getting around this. Not going to follow any training plan other than getting 5or 6 X 18+ mile runs done at some point.

Last week 44 miles, can just about get around 5 miles without stopping at the moment. Havent been enjoying running at all with out a goal. Having decided to give up racing and jsut plod around doesnt seem to be an option as each run seemed pointless.
    Calf has been perfect since I've stopped doing any fast running. The aim now is to run Dublin in October and just try run a little faster than London 4:10/15 would be the aim.

44 miles last week with 8 runs.

Monday
    5 miles easy
    Tuesday
    AM 3 miles
    PM 4 miles
    Wed
    Rest day.

Thursday 5th July
    55 mins aprox with 3X5 mins tempo. Was dead on my feet after the 3rd rep and managed to hijack Krustys easy run just to get myself a few more miles in. Might have just jogged back other wise..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thursday 5th July
    55 mins aprox with 3X5 mins tempo. Was dead on my feet after the 3rd rep and managed to hijack Krustys easy run just to get myself a few more miles in. Might have just jogged back other wise..
    T'was good to catch-up Shels. Drop me a pm next time you're headed around lunch-time/early afternoon and we can try and go for a longer stretch.

T'was good to catch-up Shels. Drop me a pm next time you're headed around lunch-time/early afternoon and we can try and go for a longer stretch.

Yep will do,

Aprox 50 mins easy in the rain in corkagh only passed 1 runner today but had the company of hundreds of baby rabbits. most enjoyable run in a long long time but still not feeling good.
    Jumped on the scales today for the first time since london and expected it to be a lot worse. Not to bad a starting point. But its crossed my mind I might need a short race to snap me into action.

Sat 7th July
    AM
    3 miles easy around corkagh. Pace really slow.

PM
    5 miles again in corkagh pace was a little faster but still in the easy zone. Legs felt very good on this run.

Sunday 8th July
    8 miles easy enough, didnt fell great today so only did 8 miles and not the planned 10.

Monday 9th July
    A little bit late getting out today and managed to arange a time when the skys opened. Totally soaked but warm :eek: football teams and bootcamp people running for their cars as I set off.
    Really enjoy ever step of this run empty park starting to feel good.

5.5 miles at unknown pace.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 19th July
    AM
    5 miles hand around corkagh pace was nice and handy felt good.

PM
    Just over 3 miles easy in corkagh again. Took it extra easy this evening. Starting to really enjoy double day runs.

Wed 11th July
    Just under 6 miles fartlek on grass. Kept the pace fairly controled on most reps. Reps were between 400m and 1k . Suffered a little at the end but its been a while since I've done anything like this. Will build this up over the next couple of week.

Thursday 12th July
    5.5/5.7 miles in pheonix park. Pace was a little bit faster than I wantd and had to try and slow down a little.

PM
    3 miles hand ydown along the canal, more of a run walk this evening as my early run was a bit later than planned.

Friday 13th July.
    Rest day today.

Sat 14th
    AM
    6 mile car recovery run after few beers, Didnt feel great starting but got going after a while.
    PM
    3 mile easy jog down the canal.

Sunday 15th
    10 miles slog, first 6 miles were crap felt like walking a few times bit last 4 were enjoyable. Couple of beers to follow so will need to run them off tomororw.

Monday 16th July
    6 miles handy in corkagh. Nothing much to report on this run other than feeling alot stronger and distance is feeling easy again.

Tuesday 17th july

AM
    5 mile lunch time run. Really enjoy getting out during the work day so hope to be able to get 2-3 lunch runs in each week from now on.

PM
    Just under 5 miles again, lost track of this run initial plan was 3 miles but was really enjoying this run.

Wed 18th July
    6.5 + miles with 1 mile on 1 mile off. Took a while to get into this run but may have run the faster miles a little to fast, was blowing through my a$$ for the last 800m of the last mile. No idea what the pace was as i'm running without a garmin for the all runs apart from my long run now. Everything is been done on feel i'll run faster when feeling good and slower when feeling bad.

Thursday 19th July
    AM
    4 miles easy
    PM
    4 miles a little faster legs feeling good.

Sat 21st July
    5 miles easy very hungover run and didnt get going until 9pm.

Sunday 22nd July
    10 miles slog, still hungover..

Monday 23rd July
    5 miles easy feeling better today but still not 100%. 3 day hangovers don't go well with marathon training.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 24th July
    AM
    5 miles easy

PM
    zero- got stuck working late and didnt get time in the evening to get out :(

Wed 25th July
    6 miles with 2 x 10/12 mins. Felt crap ...

Advertisement