Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The road to a 1:2X Half Mara.....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

TRR wrote: »
    you've made more comebacks than George Foreman and at this rate you'll overtake thirstywork2 in the comeback stakes :D

You need to get some fitness back and then get your arse down to a club. You were in a great grove when you were heading out with Lucan. You should head back there or get down to Tallaght, there is a great group down there that would suit you also. They will be training for Dublin and you could fit into their program. As for that calf, start stretching it now before the volume builds up

Would agree there is a great group there (pity us lads can't emulate it :D) that would suit you and seems to be working well for meno at the moment.

Also agree sort the calf while the mileage is low and you have time to focus on it. Often we are great at the start with working on these things but terrible when we get into our full rhythm of training

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

TRR wrote: »
    you've made more comebacks than George Foreman and at this rate you'll overtake thirstywork2 in the comeback stakes :D

You need to get some fitness back and then get your arse down to a club. You were in a great grove when you were heading out with Lucan. You should head back there or get down to Tallaght, there is a great group down there that would suit you also. They will be training for Dublin and you could fit into their program. As for that calf, start stretching it now before the volume builds up

Yep 100% only problem was went down for 4 weeks last year and ended up injured.(my stupid fault for doing sessions), will make sure just to do easy runs with them for now, once I go down.

George did win something on one of his come backs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

shels4ever wrote: »
    George did win something on one of his come backs.

So did TW2, he won gay pride run ;)

ecoli wrote: »
    Would agree there is a great group there (pity us lads can't emulate it :D) that would suit you and seems to be working well for meno at the moment.

Also agree sort the calf while the mileage is low and you have time to focus on it. Often we are great at the start with working on these things but terrible when we get into our full rhythm of training

How come you can't get a group going yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

shels4ever wrote: »
    How come you can't get a group going yourself?

Ah we are getting there slowly. There is a decent middle distance group with the younger lads but between work commitments and different aims the longer distance lads are hard to all nail down. Mind you it is improving

• Advertisement

Friday 22nd
    40 mins in the freezing cold along the canal. not feeling good at all.

Sat 23rd
    25 mins easy hungover run. Glad to get out the door.

Sunday 24th
    Rest day / Lazy day

Monday 25th

35 mins easy

Tuesday 26th
    30 mins easy

Wed 27 March
    35 mins nice and easy

Thursday 28th March
    Just a little harder run to break up all the easy running 10 mins on 5 mins off but not pushing it hard at all. 35 mins in total

Friday 29th March
    30 mins easy

Sat 30th March
    40 mins easy on the beach, nice to run on this its a Biatch for the wind.

Sunday 31 March
    Rest day, came down with some man flu so took it easy.

Monday 1st April
    Man flu has escalated resulting in a day in bed :(...

Happy enough with last week not pushing anything really at the moment will give it 2-3 weeks before I decided on any plan at all.

Tuesday 2dn April
    30 mins very easy energy levels really low but was nice to get out.

Wed 3rd April
    30 mins out an back, took it very handy today pace was close to 10 mins pace but enjoyed this little trot.

Diet has improved a lot this week which should help.

Thursday 4th April
    35 min run in the park today, feeling a little tired but energy coming back after the man flu. Some core work and stretching after but nothing major.

Friday 5th April
    Rest day actually feeling like going out for a run today but have a longer one planned for tomorrow so will take the day off.

Sat 6th April
    45 mins easy on grass, was a great evening for running. Pace is still really slow but enjoyed this run.

Sunday 7th April
    Had planned to have a day off again today, but was going out to watch the road relays so got a few very easy miles done in St. Ann's before the races.

Some great finishes to the race, womens race still in the mix with 100m to go, Seniors men was very close also fair play to the Sligo team.

• Advertisement

Monday 8th April
    Rest day

Tuesday 9th April
    35 mins very easy

Wed 10th April
    12 mins easy 6 mins hard 12 mins easy 6 mins hard with a 9 mins cool down. Kept this nice and relaxed have just about been able to run the past few weeks without taking walk break but today felt nice.
    Hurt a little on the second 6 mins because the pace was a little fast but nothing major. Been fecking starving for the last week and getting used to eating the right stuff again.

45 mins in total

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Looking good on the comeback chief.... I am going to try surpass you on the comeback stakes soon too :P

Thursday 11th April
    40 mins very slow

Friday 12th April
    Rest

Sat 13th April
    45 mins easy plan was to do 50/55 mins but legs were a little tired. So not pushing it to hard.

Sun 14th
    30 mins very easy felt a little tired but pace was a little quicker than I wanted.

Monday 17th April
    35 mins easy, was late getting out got this one as I skipped my evening run watching the marathon and then the horrible events after.

Tuesday 18th April
    Had a monthly fitness test today, just didn't feel good at all and fitness levels are horrible. Slower than the last time-out and didn't feel good at all.

40 mins in total.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

Hi Shels, think we're at the same stage of our comeback. What do you do in the fitness test?
    Also thinking of giving the trinity races a go in June, interested? and finally are you ever going to come up to Tallaght?

Good to see the consistency in getting out.

Hi Shels, think we're at the same stage of our comeback. What do you do in the fitness test?
    Also thinking of giving the trinity races a go in June, interested? and finally are you ever going to come up to Tallaght?

Good to see the consistency in getting out.
    Fitness test is just simply a warm up then 1X1 mile and a few miles warm down. Nothing major now but need to have something to keep the focus. Will start to do some races as tempos in 6 weeks time but not going to be doing any track races with maybe the exception of a 3k or 2 mile at some point. decided a couple weeks ago that easy miles and just races as tempos will be the bread and butter for the summer.

Have a group in work doing Dublin so stupid here has registered to do it also, so lots more fun to come.

Was going to wait until I get a few longer runs done before I go down, but might get down this weekend if there is a really slow group doing about 1 hour run. Do you do any longer runs with them over the weekend? Have a printed and signed membership form here so just need to show up some day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

Havn't run with them as yet but I definitely will, going to do a 10 miler obver the weekend and see how I go.
    If you wern't ready for Dereks group just jump into Gerrys, he has a good few and the pace of some of the groups is anywhere from 8-10 min miles, so you'll have plenty of choices.
    Dublin marathon, nice. Tunguska put a thing on ecoli's log about getting to the line so if that means slightly under cooked so be it, best of luck with it and by the time you join the club I'll hopefully be doing the long runs with them, so I'll see you then ;)

Wed 17th April
    40 mins easy on the beach, this wasnt as easy as I had wanted as 20 mins + into a poxy head went resulted in a walk break . Maybe I should have chnaged the route when I know the conditions but a good dose of HTFU handed to me.

Thursday 18th April

44 mins in Corkagh today with 2X6 mins ran a little to fast on the warmup and felt this at the end but a very nice run today. Will start increasing the duration of these until they grow into a tempo run but no hurry just yet.

Friday 19th April
    Rest
    Sat 20th April
    40 mins in Corkagh, ran the first half a little to fast and suffered a little over the second half of this run but was a nice day for it with no real wind. Legs are starting to remember how to run but the rest of the body doesn't fancy it.

Sunday 21st April
    45 mins easy, felt terrible for this run a nasty hangover for most the day, around lunch I put my gear on only to end up not leaving the house. Finally got my act together in the evening for a few easy miles.

Monday 22nd April
    legs just felt dead today, was a planned day of rest but a bonus 35 mins in the bag today. Running does get easier right?

• Advertisement

Tuesday 23rd April
    40 mins along the canal with 2X8 mins of faster running. Worked a lot harder today as the first 20 mins was slightly up hill. Was working a lot harder on today run that the past few week but enjoyed it a lot more. Maybe because the sun was out..

Wed 24th April
    rest day

Thursday 25th April
    Crazy busy day today with work and a few monks looking to be fed. Didn't think I would get out for a run today and was in a bit of a mood. Managed to free up some time for a 40 mins run along the canal. Pace was a bit all over the place.
    Will looks to use a parkrun in a week or two as a tempo and see how that goes.

Friday 26th April
    35 mins easy in corkagh nothing much to report.

Saturday 27th April
    55 mins in Phoenix park took in lots of hills. Only started to feel good after 40 mins. Very enjoyable run .

Sunday 28th April
    30 mins easy on grass legs a little tired but ok.

Monday 29th April
    40 mins in Corkagh , Had company for this run and the pace was a little quick. After 30 mins I was hanging on and felt like walking a few times but wasn't permitted so had to suffer on. Was very glad to finish this run.

Tuesday 30th April
    35 mins along the canal. Legs were a little stiff after yesterdays run but just took 10/15 mins to loosen out. Starting to really enjoy running again which is a big bonus. Only down side is the cut back in mid-week beers :mad:

Wed 1st May
    Planned rest day today, but decided to get another easy 30 mins in before work. This was more of a run walk to keep the legs moving as they were a bit stiff.

Thursday 2dn May
    40 mins very easy along the canal, great evening for a run legs a little tired but nothing major.

Friday 3rd May
    Plan was for 45 mins easy in Corkagh, but arrived to the park and a few lads from work were going out, decided to join them as they said it was a nice easy run at 9 min mile.
    Once we got going they soon decided that it wasn't going to be easy and basically started to race, pace dropped from 9 to sub 8 very quickly. Dropped of the group as I wasn't going to get dragged into this. Finished the run getting soaked in a shower and freezing cold....

Sat 4th May
    Was hoping to get a longer run out of the way today but a few things came up and spent most the morning shopping. Very tempted to juts pick up a few beers and have an easy day.
    But stopped off in phoenix park for an easy 40 mins, legs were dead today but really enjoyed been out.

Sunday 5th May
    35 mins easy felt totally flat today legs were dead so took it very handy. Was hoping to get an hour done but just didn't have anything today. That's what you get when you go from 5 days running to 7 I guess will take a few weeks to get used to running again. Plan on running the raheny summer league starting next month so have a long way to go.

• Advertisement

Monday 6th May
    40 mins in the sun along the canal. Kept the pace nice and relaxed legs feeling a lot better today.

Tuesday 7th May
    Got my ass in gear today and dragged myself down to Tallaght to join the club. Did a nice 45 mins around Tymon park with one of the women's groups. Nice to run with a group again. Seems weekend long runs are at 8am on Sundays.

Advertisement