Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

I am tempted to go custom firmware, but I'd worry that it would cause the phone to overheat.

Say, does anyone know how to move apps from the main memory to the D or E drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

I am tempted to go custom firmware, but I'd worry that it would cause the phone to overheat.

Say, does anyone know how to move apps from the main memory to the D or E drive?

I'm installing custom firmwares a couple of years now and I've never had a problem with them overheating, but I can understand your apprehensive given that most of these custom firmwares do some funky stuff like overclocking the processor, etc.

As for the apps, well usually what I used do was download the sis files to my laptop and transfer the files to my phone via USB mass storage method. I haven't had to do that in a while though as usually when I'm reinstalling the phone now, the Ovi Store keeps a list called "My Stuff", self explanatory really, like the way android works when you log in to your Google account- syncs all your apps to your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

Belle Refresh adds some of the Belle FP1 features to the original S^3 devices - info here.
    Ohmygod Ohmygod Ohmygod :eek: "...fixes for various issues, including the longstanding Flash video playback problem."??!
    Ohmygod Ohmygod Ohmygod FINALLY AT LAST!!! :pac:. I cannot wait - cm'on Vf IE, approve and release this update PRONTO!

Is there a web page where it shows the carrier upload approval dates? Like Belle?

I'd appreciate some help with the N8.

I am having problems getting the internet radio and the FM transmitter to work together. I open a radio station, and it plays over the speaker, but as soon as I switch on the transmitter the station stops playing. Pressing play starts it for a second and then it dies again.

Any idea as to what I can do to fix this? I'm running Belle, and have 18mb left on "C:"

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Working here no problems anyway wildefalcon, just tried it there now-

Scr000003.jpg

Image091_1.jpg

I'd never actually tried that before now, just downloaded the Internet Radio app to try it there now when I read your post. And just tried it with the Music Player app there now, just to be sure- works no problems (which is handy because before I'd be plugging speaker wires into my phone to listen to my music!).

Just while you mention your space on C: drive-

Scr000005.jpg

Yes, I think I'll need a clearout.

Now, what's the easiest way of clearing "C" and re-installing everything on the D Drive?

Yes, I think I'll need a clearout.

Now, what's the easiest way of clearing "C" and re-installing everything on the D Drive?

I'd suggest hook your phone up to your computer as a mass storage device, copy everything (photos, music, docs) off it, disconnect the phone, do a format and hard reset, connect the phone back to the computer in ovi suite mode, and reinstall the latest firmware again-

voila, fresh phone! copy your stuff back when you're done, and any of the apps you had installed will be available in "my stuff" in the Ovi store.

SOunds like a plan!

Thanks. Will tackle this some quiet moment (ha!).

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

Just on the build quality. The panel on the bottom of the phone has been replaced three times since I bought the phone 2 years ago. No major drops to blame it on.Anyone else find that Its a weak spot on the phone?

I've had silicone cover on mine. I broke that aswell because I force the charger in without looking at it. The same goes for the Headphones port.

• Advertisement

Is there a web page where it shows the carrier upload approval dates? Like Belle?
    Bumping this question - any news on Irish operators releasing the Belle Refresh yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭StaunchyDJ

Bumping this question - any news on Irish operators releasing the Belle Refresh yet?

They won't be too quick this time to get it tested as it's not a major update. We're lookin at another month at the very least. No roll out list this time round... :(

SOunds like a plan!

Well. Now then. I've just had a quick edit of the inboxes on the phone, and guess what?

Gone from 10 mb to 60mb!

Holy bovine, what the heck have I been carrying around with me? And will the deletes propagate to my imap accounts?

SOunds like a plan!

Well. Now then. I've just had a quick edit of the inboxes on the phone, and guess what?

Gone from 10 mb to 60mb!

Holy bovine, what the heck have I been carrying around with me? And will the deletes propagate to my imap accounts?

LOL! Nice one! :D Well I know in the new Outlook IMAP from Microsoft you can set it so that when you delete your mail from the phone it'll stay on the server, or vice versa, when you delete mail from the Web client, the mail will stay on your phone.

Don't quote me on it but I "think" Gmail has the same facility, to keep or delete your messages from the Web client if you delete them on your phone.

Not an encouraging update from Vodafone :(:
    Unfortunately I don't have an update on this at the moment. We are still waiting on the update to be sent to us from Nokia to test it.

Unfortunately I don't have an update on this at the moment. We are still waiting on the update to be sent to us from Nokia to test it.

This doesn't surprise me really, my N8 was a repair upgrade from Nokia UK themselves (sent an X6 away to be repaired, got back an N8 replacement upgrade I was told; I wasn't complaining! :D), but mine is factory unlocked UK firmware, still no belle refresh. Nokia generally seems very slow to be rolling this out, and normally I'd have flashed the phone by now and thrown on the belle refresh update (truthfully I'd sooner go back to Anna as I much preferred it to belle! I had a Symbian Anna Custom Firmware running on my Nokia X6 that was never meant to run Anna!), but tbh the novelty hasn't yet worn off nor necessitated me doing a hard reset and firmware reinstall.

I have NetQin installed on my phone too and maybe somebody else has noticed this, but it doesn't list any "Auto-Start" apps so I can't kill them before they even start, but there's an app called OMB listed in the "running apps", and when you shut it down, it restarts itself, again and again!

I think it's related to the Nokia Chat App, but it's constantly wanting to stay connected to 3G, which obviously is draining the battery, unless you turn off Mobile Data. I'm just wondering, does anyone else have any further insight into this OMB app or is anyone else experiencing the same issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

O2 aren't saying anything either. :(

http://community.o2online.ie/t5/Software-Apps/update-belle-refresh/m-p/546402#M6475

• Registered Users Posts: 3 damo28772

what about e mobile?

damo28772 wrote: »
    what about e mobile?

None of the networks have it out yet I'm afraid. I just checked Navifirm there and they still haven't got the Country Variant UK & IE belle refresh released yet.

I'll wait until they release the belle refresh because if you put a cfw on it that isn't meant for your product code, it can mess with future updates and map downloads, the ovi store, etc... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭cena

Where can I get a part for the phone. It fell out of my hoodie last night and part if the bottom snapped in half.

• Advertisement

cena wrote: »
    Where can I get a part for the phone. It fell out of my hoodie last night and part if the bottom snapped in half.

E-bay, but I'd sooner just take it to your nearest Nokia Care Centre and have them take a look at it first

E-bay, but I'd sooner just take it to your nearest Nokia Care Centre and have them take a look at it first

vodafone today told me 180 to get it repaired. Why would I need to bring into nokia. Is it in case there in somthing wrong

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

cena wrote: »
    vodafone today told me 180 to get it repaired. Why would I need to bring into nokia. Is it in case there in somthing wrong

What were they doing for €180 :confused:

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/features/item/15037_Repair_the_Nokia_N8_antenna_ca.php

Davy wrote: »

Not a clue. She told me that what it cost for smartphones

Any body or operator received the Belle Refresh update yet? Not heard diddly since... :confused:

Any body or operator received the Belle Refresh update yet? Not heard diddly since... :confused:

I got it the other day on my factory unlocked N8. It's nothing special tbh, just adds a few more widget options, so I just went ahead and installed Xeon custom firmware, makes the phone a hell of a lot faster and much more feature filled. Not one for the faint hearted though as it could leave you with one very expensive paperweight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Does anyone know how the hell you can free up space on your C:\ drive? When I plug it in to my laptop and browse it all the folders are empty but it still says the drive is full. I can't install any new apps as a result.

Also how can you specify where stuff should be installed? There's a loads of room on the 16GB section of the phone memory, can I get it to use that instead?

rickyjb wrote: »
    Does anyone know how the hell you can free up space on your C:\ drive? When I plug it in to my laptop and browse it all the folders are empty but it still says the drive is full. I can't install any new apps as a result.

Also how can you specify where stuff should be installed? There's a loads of room on the 16GB section of the phone memory, can I get it to use that instead?

The reason the C: drive "looks" full when it's connected up to your laptop is because the content on the C: drive is not able to be read as "Mass Storage". Tbh you really don't wan't to go messing about with those files anyway, you could easily brick your phone. Symbian isn't like Android where you can move apps to the memory card, etc. You'll usually be offered the choice when you're installing an app, whether to install it on C: or E: (not sure about F: as I've never tried a memory card in my phone). You can also set this option in Nokia Suite on your laptop when you are installing apps from the suite itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

The reason the C: drive "looks" full when it's connected up to your laptop is because the content on the C: drive is not able to be read as "Mass Storage". Tbh you really don't wan't to go messing about with those files anyway, you could easily brick your phone. Symbian isn't like Android where you can move apps to the memory card, etc. You'll usually be offered the choice when you're installing an app, whether to install it on C: or E: (not sure about F: as I've never tried a memory card in my phone). You can also set this option in Nokia Suite on your laptop when you are installing apps from the suite itself.

I've never seen this option when installing stuff from the Ovi store, I also couldn't install updates recently as it said the C memory was full.

How do I free up space then, there must be some way? Uninstalling things didn't seem to make a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

rickyjb wrote: »

Open the ovi/nokia store on the phone, select the portrait option (bottom right tab) and then select E:mass memory from the installation settings.

Installing anything outside ovi should prompt you for selection where you can choose which drive to install

Advertisement