Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

No, I checked that first thing. Plus it wouldn't be flashing for an unread text. I've a feeling it's something to do with the sim card but I can't figure out how to get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

it might have something to do with saving text messages to the Sim card. Can you delete all messages from Sim, or copy from Sim to phone. Messaging options view folders options Sim messages select all delete.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

rickyjb wrote: »
    I have had the text message symbol (envelope) flashing on the top of my phone ever since I upgraded to Belle. It was also there before the upgrade with a message saying the sim card memory was full even though it definitely wasn't.

It doesn't seem to be doing any harm but it's really annoying, anyone have any idea how to get rid of it?

Menu ; messaging ; options ; sim messages.

Davy wrote: »

i think the route in is slightly different if you're set up in conversation mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭mollser

I have loved the N8 from the moment I got it (except for having to restart it every second day to speed it up!), but have now moved to the Galaxy S3 as a new phone from work.

Just thought I'd lay down some comparatives if people are thinking of moving.

Things I miss about the N8:
    Widgets. Yes, Android has widgets but the facebook, email, contacts and weather widgets are much better implemented on the N8. FB and Emails refresh as soon as you slide to them, Android you need to prompt and then nothing happens. I can see why iphone lovers don't see the point of widgets (no doubt they will if and when they ever get them - that'll be another patent war I suspect!), Nokia really had them sorted.

FM Transmitter
    Maps (although the google navigation is fantastic, not much use when you're roaming unfortunately)
    Clock on the screen
    Lock button
    Screen size

Things I love about the Sammy? Well the screen, although massive at first you do get used to it very quickly and fall in love with it.
    Video is fantastic, streaming websites work flawlessly on it
    Screen face sensor to prevent the screen locking up when you're reading text

Still don't see the point of many of the apps, Journal.ie, irish times etc, these are the same as their mobile version of the websites, which worked perfectly well on the N8.

However the games (many of them free) are beautiful, very slick.

All in all, the things I loved about the N8 as mentioned above are a real sticking point for me, that's why its being kept alive as a tool for the car!

Just thought people would be interested if they're thinking of switching...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

mollser wrote: »
    Maps (although the google navigation is fantastic, not much use when you're roaming unfortunately)

+1

I'll be using it extensively on holiday in Spain soon and it's great to have free up-to-date mapping - all you have to do to avoid roaming charges is download maps before you go and turn off mobile data for Maps when abroad.

Another cool feature of Maps is the "Own Voice" app which allows you to record your own audio navigation instructions. I recorded my then 4 year old son two years ago and don't think I could ever bear to change. One of the phrases he made his own was "Observe speed limit" which for him came out as "Absurd speed limit!"

dr ro wrote: »
    it might have something to do with saving text messages to the Sim card. Can you delete all messages from Sim, or copy from Sim to phone. Messaging options view folders options Sim messages select all delete.

Thanks I'll try it later when I get home.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Thanks I'll try it later when I get home.

As pointed out by Dr ro it will be slightly different if in threaded SMS setup, so might be menu messaging, options, view folders, options, sim messaging. Let us know how you get on

mollser wrote: »
    I have loved the N8 from the moment I got it (except for having to restart it every second day to speed it up!), but have now moved to the Galaxy S3 as a new phone from work.

Just thought I'd lay down some comparatives if people are thinking of moving.

Things I miss about the N8:
    Widgets. Yes, Android has widgets but the facebook, email, contacts and weather widgets are much better implemented on the N8. FB and Emails refresh as soon as you slide to them, Android you need to prompt and then nothing happens. I can see why iphone lovers don't see the point of widgets (no doubt they will if and when they ever get them - that'll be another patent war I suspect!), Nokia really had them sorted.

FM Transmitter
    Clock on the screen
    Lock button
    Screen size

Things I love about the Sammy? Well the screen, although massive at first you do get used to it very quickly and fall in love with it.
    Video is fantastic, streaming websites work flawlessly on it
    Screen face sensor to prevent the screen locking up when you're reading text

Still don't see the point of many of the apps, Journal.ie, irish times etc, these are the same as their mobile version of the websites, which worked perfectly well on the N8.

However the games (many of them free) are beautiful, very slick.

All in all, the things I loved about the N8 as mentioned above are a real sticking point for me, that's why its being kept alive as a tool for the car!

Just thought people would be interested if they're thinking of switching...

Thanks for your thoughts, the 2 things I'd miss the most would definitely be the free maps which can be used abroad without data and the camera. Your basically getting a camera that's comparable to a mid range digital one and a decent sat nav with free upgraded maps for all of your europe. The email app is pretty good too.

I wouldn't miss the crappy internet browsers, both the pre-installed one and opera mobile are really slow to load anything. Sometimes opera mobile won't connect if you've recently had wi-fi and want to switch back to data.

As pointed out by Dr ro it will be slightly different if in threaded SMS setup, so might be menu messaging, options, view folders, options, sim messaging. Let us know how you get on

Finally it's gone, thanks guys. I didn't even know you could save messages on your sim card, must've been from when I was using an old phone.

Something weird happened when I copied the messages into my inbox though, I'm now missing some conversations. Must be something to do with the new messages coming up as the last message but the dates are older so they're moved way down the list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Your basically getting a camera that's comparable to a mid range digital one and a decent sat nav with free upgraded maps for all of your europe.

Actually, Maps covers pretty much the entire world - certainly much more than Europe.
    The email app is pretty good too.

Must say I find this pretty flaky. I can read mail off Blacknight's IMAP server no problem, but sending SMTP mail works intermittently at best. Usually mails will sit in the outbox for hours before they eventually send, if they do at all.

Anyone any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

I've installed the "microsoft apps" thing via the PC suite - the email client has changed and I think it's much better - you could try that. I like been able to swipe sideways and get to my other accounts - very WebOS.

I don't understand most of the rest of the "MS apps" thing, esp the Lync, I don't have exchange/facebook or the like so. Nice to have office though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

I have long sung the praises of this phone. It is outstanding...

...I did however give in to temptation and upgrad to a Lumia 800, which at first I thought was a disasterous move, but the Lumia had had many of it's issues sorted out now. The MAJOR factor between the two phones for me is the camera. Quite frankly, in my opinion, the camera on the Lumia is absolute tripe compared to the N8. So much so that I carry my N8 with me anytime I think I will be taking photographs, because I am without fail, constantly disappointed with the quality of the Lumia shots. That is the main comparison point for me, BUT, I do keep the N8 in the car constantly now also, because of the navigation software and also the FM transmitter. Thos three features alone make it an outstanding phone. I don't even have a sim card in it now. I run it in offline mode so the battery lasts forever. I can take fabulous pictures and videos (and connect it to my laptop as mass storage, another Lumia failure), listen to my music in my car via the radio, and have free SatNav. That is a winning situation.

Legend phone, simple as.

why bother with the Lumia then. I'm just curious. Still very happy with my n8. Wouldn't consider upgrading unless to 808 which is a bit pricey at the mo. As you say, camera maps fm transmitter mass storage open source all swing in favour of n8. Don't want 2 devices when one's perfect.

why bother with the Lumia then. I'm just curious. Still very happy with my n8. Wouldn't consider upgrading unless to 808 which is a bit pricey at the mo. As you say, camera maps fm transmitter mass storage open source all swing in favour of n8. Don't want 2 devices when one's perfect.

Aah for a few reasons I guess. I get bored with the look of a phone sometimes and I like something new to look at / feel in my hand. The unibody design is incredibly pleasing on the eye and the screen is something else altogether. The N8 isn't a particularly pretty phone I think.

Also, the Lumia handles my Email flawlessly, which was, and still is, something I could never get to work on the N8.

Using the Symbian OS on the N8 now feels shocking. It's so slow and clunky and the screen responsiveness is not comprable with the WP OS. WP OS is very fast, very slick, and lovely to look at. I don't think the Symbian OS is any of these things really. In fact I think Belle (or Anna? or whichever was the most recent OS update) made it worse!

Lumia also plays very well with the Windows OS on a PC or laptop. It integrates seamlessly into the OS.

The main thing was just to have a new phone. Don't get me wrong, the Lumia has it's flaws, but it suits me better as a main phone at the moment for the above reasons.

The N8 is far from redundant though...and I'm happy about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Agreed - but sometimes it is a mite s l o w.

I think that when I'm out of warranty I might play with over clocking it slightly - 5% or so.

Unless I can get an 808 on contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

Hi all

does anyone else have a problem of the battery charge not lasting even a day since updating to the new software.might be a thread about it but couldnt find it.its so annoying

do you have energy profiler app installed. What's your kw usage with all other apps closed. Also app stop is handy app. It closes background apps

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

thanks ,might try those and see if they help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

read today that Nokia is working on lumia 910 and 1001 models,if it comes out true might save for the better one if it still gonna hold functions like good camera,free sat nav and better navigation (OS) as its supposed to be windows mobile.Also need bigger screen.

• Advertisement

fm transmitter is a big factor for me. Do any Nokia windows phones have it.

Not that I'm aware of. I'd say they would be shouting it from the rooftops if there was!

In fact, I have never seen another phone that had it.

fm transmitter is a big factor for me. Do any Nokia windows phones have it.

Nope

think there is one other phone that has it. Can't remember what make. S/e maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭mrs aol

Oh guys, I've just dropped and smashed my N8.

I used to absolutely love it - before my 'upgrade' to belle. my contract is just up and I was planning to wait and see about the pureview 808.

What am I going to do now?

What can I replace it with? and how should I go about it. I'm eligible for an o2 upgrade. I was paying 45euors a month but I had been planning to maybe change to a 20 euro pay as you go. I send about 300 texts but use no calls or data.

would it be an option to just replace screen? is that costly? does anyone know of a place in Cork?

I'd really apprecaite any advice especially from you N8 people as to what would be similar featurewise.

I like the hdmi out, the mass storage capability, the fm transmitter, the sat nav and I need a good camera.

mrs aol wrote: »
    Oh guys, I've just dropped and smashed my N8.

I used to absolutely love it - before my 'upgrade' to belle. my contract is just up and I was planning to wait and see about the pureview 808.

What am I going to do now?

What can I replace it with? and how should I go about it. I'm eligible for an o2 upgrade. I was paying 45euors a month but I had been planning to maybe change to a 20 euro pay as you go. I send about 300 texts but use no calls or data.

would it be an option to just replace screen? is that costly? does anyone know of a place in Cork?

I'd really apprecaite any advice especially from you N8 people as to what would be similar featurewise.

I like the hdmi out, the mass storage capability, the fm transmitter, the sat nav and I need a good camera.

Go to fonemenders and see what they can do. Is it just the screen cracked? If so they can pop a new one easily enough. Any of the networks offer unlimited text plans on prepay so take your pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

I have an N8 and have just upgraded to a Galaxy S3 (work phone). The only reason I didn't get another Nokia, is that they didn't have a replacement Symbian phone.
    I positively despise the awful Windows phone look with the big tiles etc (one of the reasons I will not be upgrading to Windows 8 anytime soon) plus I'm not really interested in apps, how slick the interface etc etc. For me.....symbian just worked.

Comparing the S3 to the N8, I can echo all the comments made so far.

The thing I miss the most is the maps. For all its bugs Map Suite 2.0 was great. OFFLINE is the magic key for me. I know that Google has just released an "offline" mode map, but its nowhere near as good or complete as Map Suite.

The great news is that Nokia have actually ported Nokia Map Studio for the Android platform (it really does work)...BUT.... at this time it is only available via HTML5 browser (yep..online).
    Hopefully Nokia will get their butt into gear and release a full offfline version soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

What exactly is the benefit of an FM Transmitter on phone can some-one tell me please? I tried googling it but got no simplified explanation to answer my question. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

What exactly is the benefit of an FM Transmitter on phone can some-one tell me please? I tried googling it but got no simplified explanation to answer my question. :)

Way I use it - I like certain foreign radio stations - tune to them on the internet radio on my N8 and use FM transmitter to transmit to a frequency of my choice on the car (or home) radio.

Equally, to play music stored on your phone on your car or home stereo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

mrs aol wrote: »
    .....I was paying 45euors a month but I had been planning to maybe change to a 20 euro pay as you go. I send about 300 texts but use no calls or data.....

Move to 48 for a tenner a month or something cheap like that - why would you pay even €20 for just texts...

Then, with the saving you make of €35 a month you can buy a brand new Nokia Pureview 808 for €600 sim free - the cost of which you will recoup over 18 months compared to your current plan. :)

So much more you could do with this phone than text :) but you did ask for HDMI out, mass storage, fm transmitter, sat nav and great camera.

One alternative - buy another N8 - pick up one cheap enough.

Advertisement