Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

I had to reinstall my N8 for the first time ever after a failed upgrade to install new "Homescreen Apps/Widgets" update left me with "C: running out of space" errors & no new widgets. The reinstall (now running 11.030.0609) freed ~50Mb, but while having to reconfigure some phone settings, I can no longer find the "Disable Homescreen Apps accessing network/data" setting (sorry, can't remember the exact wording).

Btw, this is different to the "Mobile Data" radio button in the pull-down screen which didn't need to be turned off for the setting I'm querying to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Got the new update yesterday. Took ages to complete. Now running Software version 111.040.1511. Product code 059c5q8.

dr ro wrote: »
    Got the new update yesterday. Took ages to complete. Now running Software version 111.040.1511. Product code 059c5q8.
    What network are you on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 damo28772

belle refresh available on nokia suite today

Anybody posting that Belle Refresh is available etc - please also tell us which network you're on. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I can only see the euro1 UK & Ireland updates on Navifirm+. No Irish country variants or network-specfic updates that I can see. It's going to be a long wait :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3 damo28772

i am on e mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

i'm on meteor but not locked

Interesting - am on Vodafone but no Belle Refresh update available...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭dohouch

Anybody know a good QR/Barcode reader for N8. Have tried Savy Shopper" and Upcode" but neither is very good IMHO.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

dohouch wrote: »
    Anybody know a good QR/Barcode reader for N8. Have tried Savy Shopper" and Upcode" but neither is very good IMHO.

Its something I never used much with the N8. The one i used to use on the n95 was much better. I dont bother using them because of that reason, but think 'upcode' was the best of a bad bunch unless a better one has launched recently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭dohouch

Got Neoreader works better than above 2.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭cena

I have the n8 and the vodafone logo does not come up on start up. Does this mean the phone is unlocked

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

cena wrote: »
    I have the n8 and the vodafone logo does not come up on start up. Does this mean the phone is unlocked

Most likely yes. It is possible to have a lock without the branding, but unusual

I got it the first day it came out

cena wrote: »
    I got it the first day it came out

Often happens the first batch don't have branding, and comes in standard blue nokia boxes.

Davy wrote: »
    Often happens the first batch don't have branding, and comes in standard blue nokia boxes.

ya I got that box

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭lolie

Currently using a second hand Vodafone branded N8.
    I'd givin up all hope of getting the update.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

It's falling apart!

Yesterday the Swype dies, and today the Nokia Sleeping Screen has stopped working! One by one, all the beta lab useful things are failing.

I hope car mode doesn't die next.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

It's falling apart!

Yesterday the Swype dies, and today the Nokia Sleeping Screen has stopped working! One by one, all the beta lab useful things are failing.

Car Mode has already gone funny on me. It used to start up automatically when the phone connected to my bluetooth car kit, but now I have to start it up from the phone menu. Anyone know how to get it working again the way it used to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

It's falling apart!

they are on nokia store now
    did you try downloading them from nokia store?
    beta labs only last for so long..

Beta labs website page for Swype says it is aware of an issue with the beta version of Swype 2.1 and advises users to revert to version 1.0, available from the Nokia Store.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Tried all that - apparently it REMEMBERS 2.1 and then refuses to work. I did manage to get the Nokia screen working again.

The hackers have solved the problem - it's a terminate date built in - but you need to hack your phone to make it work - not keen on doing that, but am coming around to the idea each time a send a text!

If you hack the N8 can you overclock it? I was playing with an Ipod touch and couldn't believe how fast the camera was to start - I'd like some of that on the N8.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,401 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The two year old Nokia N8 has a superior camera to the new Lumia 920.

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/features/item/16286_Camera_phone_head_to_head_Noki.php

Just copped last night watching "The Killing" that Sarah Lund uses an N8!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Quick question about the N8,I've been using one for a while but have put it up for sale as Vodafone reception in my area is sketchy at best & I found that the Nokia was terrible at losing signal compared to my old phone.
    Anything to improve it? I didn't bother upgrading the software but did get it unlocked.

Ronan H wrote: »
    Yep. Installing as we speak!
    Lucky you! Sadly I'm not seeing sign of it yet... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Lucky you! Sadly I'm not seeing sign of it yet... :(

That's a bummer. Have you tried checking manually? You can do so on the phone and via the Nokia PC Suite software. It might be a product code issue maybe?

Advertisement