Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Mur1

My girlfriends phone had that flashing envelope described a Page back since new and I was able to delete the Sim msgs by the instructions provided(thanks) but now there's the number 1 in its place. Any idea what that's about?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Mur1 wrote: »
    My girlfriends phone had that flashing envelope described a Page back since new and I was able to delete the Sim msgs by the instructions provided(thanks) but now there's the number 1 in its place. Any idea what that's about?

Any chance of a pic or screen grab of it?

Cant think what it is off hand at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭kirving

A friend of mine's phone had that. Looked it up and it means that you're on line one. I don't think you can have a dual line sim here though. Don't know how to turn it off however.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

A friend of mine's phone had that. Looked it up and it means that you're on line one. I don't think you can have a dual line sim here though. Don't know how to turn it off however.

Well usually a '2' would appear if on line two but me dont have that service here so not sure if thats what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Is it definitely a 1 or could it be an aerial symbol. Looks like a 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭mrs aol

Goodbye N8 people. Thanks for all the tips and interesting reading over the last couple of years!

Having dropped and smashed the screen on my N8, I decided to go with the Xperia S I'll reassess when the pureview 808 is more available.

Big change in OS, etc, obviously, but I actually quite like the Xperia so far. Quick P&S snaps actually very good. Screen excellent. Phone in general very fast to respond. Early days but first impressions good.

Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

mrs aol wrote: »
    Oh guys, I've just dropped and smashed my N8.

I used to absolutely love it - before my 'upgrade' to belle. my contract is just up and I was planning to wait and see about the pureview 808.

What am I going to do now?

What can I replace it with? and how should I go about it. I'm eligible for an o2 upgrade. I was paying 45euors a month but I had been planning to maybe change to a 20 euro pay as you go. I send about 300 texts but use no calls or data.

would it be an option to just replace screen? is that costly? does anyone know of a place in Cork?

I'd really apprecaite any advice especially from you N8 people as to what would be similar featurewise.

I like the hdmi out, the mass storage capability, the fm transmitter, the sat nav and I need a good camera.

You're paying 45 euros a month just for texts? That's shockingly bad, O2 and VF are the most expensive networks by far so advice would be to stay away from them.

You can buy a new screen and have a go at fitting it yourself, there's a really good video on youtube that shows you exactly what to do. Most of the digitisers/screens on ebay come with the screwdrivers you need. Do you know if it's just the glass part or the actual screen itself?

If you're not confident of doing it yourself ask a friend maybe, most phone repair shops will charge you about a hundred quid whereas the parts only cost 20-30 euros on Ebay. Best of luck.

Edit: I should have read to the end of the thread before replying...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

I tried to fit a new glass to my N8 and ended up ruining it as i couldnt get some of the screws open,ended up moving to android.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Mur1

Davy wrote: »
    Any chance of a pic or screen grab of it?

Cant think what it is off hand at the moment

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/86580898/2012-07-15%2023.24.57.jpg

Sorry for delay, took me a while to figure how to add pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 hesus2003

hi,
    how o i get security code for n8?dont need it with my vodafone sim but when i try 02 sim it asks for security code.ive tried nemisis but keep getting an error.im supossed to have the phone sold so need the code asap

• Advertisement

Default is 12345

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭dohouch

@hesus2003
    how o i get security code for n8?

I thought there was none if you haven't set one.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

Default is 12345

Not anymore, only applies to older models

dohouch wrote: »
    @hesus2003

I thought there was none if you haven't set one.

Correct

Oh sorry about that!

I must have just set my security code to 12345 when I got the phone and forgotten about it!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Can I apologise if this is in the wrong place etc? This is complicated, too.

I use my N8 to browse m.boards all the time. Works like a charm. Yesterday however, I tried to access adverts.ie for the first time, and to log in using my boards id. (which I had done successfully on my pc). The page crashed, so I closed the browser. Since then I have been unable to access any version of boards on my phone. All other sites, facebook, twitter, google etc worked no problem last night, but m.boards or boards.ie, nada. I have cleared the cache etc, turned the phone off but nothing worked.

Today, in work it had lost its automatic connection to our wireless network so I connected it again. All sites are now giving 'invalid server' error.

Have I killed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Kevin Moran

Oryx wrote: »
    Can I apologise if this is in the wrong place etc? This is complicated, too.

I use my N8 to browse m.boards all the time. Works like a charm. Yesterday however, I tried to access adverts.ie for the first time, and to log in using my boards id. (which I had done successfully on my pc). The page crashed, so I closed the browser. Since then I have been unable to access any version of boards on my phone. All other sites, facebook, twitter, google etc worked no problem last night, but m.boards or boards.ie, nada. I have cleared the cache etc, turned the phone off but nothing worked.

Today, in work it had lost its automatic connection to our wireless network so I connected it again. All sites are now giving 'invalid server' error.

Have I killed it?

Three options really, starting in order of pain in the ass;

1. Soft reset of phone:
    a. Main menu
    b. Settings
    c. Phone
    d. Down to Phone mgmt
    e. Factory Settings
    f. Now you’ll be presented with two options: "restore" and "delete data and restore"
    g. Select Restore

If that fails...

2. Install Nokia Care Suite on your PC, plug your phone in through the USB cable and check for SW updates. Back up your info on Care Suite and proceed with SW update.

If that fails, you're phone is pretty sick but not beyond repair

3. Locate an authorised Nokia Care Point, your phone should still be under the Nokia 24 month warranty and they'll fix it while you wait usually.
    Nokia Care Point finder: http://www.nokia.com/ie-en/store-finder?nStoreTypes=470

Turns out it was a network error. Weird, huh? But thank you for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

mrs aol wrote: »
    Goodbye N8 people. Thanks for all the tips and interesting reading over the last couple of years!

Having dropped and smashed the screen on my N8, I decided to go with the Xperia S I'll reassess when the pureview 808 is more available.

Big change in OS, etc, obviously, but I actually quite like the Xperia so far. Quick P&S snaps actually very good. Screen excellent. Phone in general very fast to respond. Early days but first impressions good.

Thanks for the replies.

Did you feel like you've traveled at least 10 years forward in time when you switched from Symbian to Android?

Symbian is such a wreck! Each update seems to ruin something, 10 things get fixed, 10 things that were fine get ruined.

Symbian Belle camera UI for example ... does not show you how many pictures/minutes of video you can take anymore, battery indicator is gone, the little icon that showed you where pictures were saved(memory card) is gone.

You cannot install old applications that worked on Anna, like Sygic... they don't work anymore. And since nobody supports Symbian anymore you're not getting those updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Symbian is such a wreck...SNIP

Symbian Belle...SNIP

Oh hell yeah. Symbian Belle was a shambles if you ask me. It seems to have made the phone slower and more clunkier. Really was disappointed with that update. Anna was way more friendly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

How do I get into open Applications? Holding down Menu doesn't seem to bring them up.

Can Home Screens be deleted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Going to upgrade from a nokia e52 qnd was thinking strongly of this phone. Do a lot of browsing internet and the usual social networks stuff. My questions are 1) Whats the battery life like 2) I've never had a touchscreen phone is it simple to use 3) Can i set up large groups on my contacts for sending out large numbers of texts 4) Is this a good phone

Can Home Screens be deleted?

I only use 1 home-screen. 4 short cuts, clock, next-events widget, and Belle extra buttons with expandable button gives me 12 more short cuts.

Going to upgrade from a nokia e52 qnd was thinking strongly of this phone. Do a lot of browsing internet and the usual social networks stuff. My questions are 1) Whats the battery life like 2) I've never had a touchscreen phone is it simple to use 3) Can i set up large groups on my contacts for sending out large numbers of texts 4) Is this a good phone
    1)Battery life, I get about 18 hours but Im a heavy user. :) Its been getting progressivelly worse, phone is 14 months old. Would get maybe 48 hours standby if I didnt use it.
    2)Touchscreen works well, home screens are customisable.
    3)Yes you can set up groups from your contacts menu.

This phones most irritating quirk is that the hold button is onscreen during a call, and often (too damn often!) puts a call on hold, but you wont realise as it gives you no indication till you look at the screen. That alone will mean I will change this phone soon. Other than that its as glitchy as any other Nokia, a few random freezes and switch offs now and again.

Oryx wrote: »
    This phones most irritating quirk is that the hold button is onscreen during a call, and often (too damn often!) puts a call on hold, but you wont realise as it gives you no indication till you look at the screen. That alone will mean I will change this phone soon. Other than that its as glitchy as any other Nokia, a few random freezes and switch offs now and again.

Quick and free fix: Callsafe freemium

Great little app that works in the background without annoying you. Let me know what you think of it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Ive been Nokia fan since Nokia released 3310 model,ironically i got a hold of one that i had about 10 years ago and it wasn't used for about two years after 15min charge it powered up like new :D since then i got 3410,n97,n95,n8 and many other cheap ones.but biggest blow was to me recent news that nokia is closing down and there wont be any phones made in Finland,that news alone is no more nokia phones when next upgrade,as everyone who had nokia for years knows that symbian is backwards backward OS and very complicated to use,but built quality is something like a Swiss knife,not anymore if they move to china :/ and because of OS next phone gonna be android.Also it made me a bit mad when i bought n8 couple weeks later you could easily buy new one from donedeal for 200 ,160.good for those who got it later but not ,who paid cash in shop.

Want to hear from someone doing it rather than opinions about whether it might be possible.

Haven't bought Nexus yet, and won't if no tether possible with N8.

Bluetooth tether would be nice but wifi will do too.

Want to surf with Nexus not just share files.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

What, just what?! you clearly don't know how Nokia operate with a post like that!

kmart6 wrote: »
    What, just what?! you clearly don't know how Nokia operate with a post like that!
    Are you referring to this post
    Any hope of tethering N8 with Assus Nexus 7,

Which post is that in reply to kmart?

On build quality - I've had my phone almost 2 years now and it's had some pretty major falls and is still in perfect working order. 10 feet onto concrete did leave a small crack at the top of the screen but it's not in the way of the LCD. I'm careful with it in the respect that I'd never lose it, but I'm never worried about dropping it because it's so well made.

Mine was made in Finland and I'd certainly prefer a phone made there, but the iPhone is beautifully made too. The glass at the corners seems to lead to many smashed screens, but that's a design issue rather than build quality.

Will upgrade to a Lumia PureView before the year is out but I'll definately be keeping the N8 as it's been great.

I wouldn't buy one now, for those who are asking, unless you can get one dirt cheap - but that goes for any 2 year old phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

I think I mentioned this previously in this thread, but I am still using my N8 as my camera, satnav, FM transmitter in the car etc.

My "actual" phone, the Lumia 800, just doesn't cut it in general (but specifically in these areas above, although the satnav has improved hugely to be fair) and I will be dispensing with it as soon as I can manage it!

The N8 is like one of those anomalous, once off legend phones that has a ton of amazing features, that hasn't since been repeated on a phone, hence its sticking power!

Advertisement